The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Client Outdated but Launcher will not initialise

revolution1
revolution1
Soul Shriven
This has happened so often I've had enough.
When I try to access the game it often states: 'invalid client: exit and update using the patcher'.
When I open the launcher it takes some 20 minutes to show any text (if at all) and then seldom shows the 'play' or 'update' button. If it does it often updates to 150%
The 'initializing' ribbon does not show any coloured bar more often than not.
(Strangely, I did manage to install update 5...since then nought.)
Often with no text I cannot 'repair' or fix it.
Therefore, I cannot access the game.
This has happened before and support could not come up with any meaningful work around. Shame, I think I will have to quit as it appears this launcher is broken.
Anyone else having these problems?

• KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The "invalid client" error message appears when the client's software version and the server's mismatch. 1.5.4 has been pushed today on US (and will be tonight for EU), so if you play on the US megaserver, and your Launcher hasn't patched the client yet, you will get that error.

You might want to check a few things on your end:
    • If you are connected via WiFi, try to connect your Mac via network cable to the router, to see whether the Launcher's behavior changes and/or becomes less erratic.
    • Make sure the TCP/IP ports described in this KB article aren't blocked, neither by your Mac's firewall, nor by your router.
    • I suppose that the volume ESO's installed to has sufficient free space, and file system as well as file permissions are in order? You can check it with the Disk Utility from within a Recovery Boot (hold [Alt] after the Boot Chime).
    If that doesn't change anything, you could try to get a fresh launcher:
    • First, rename your Zenimax Online folder in /Applications to something like Zenimax Online Backup
    • Grab the Installer from your account page at https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/
    • Running the Installer.app should yield you a new Zenimax Online folder in /Applications, and a new Launcher.app. There should be no subfolders yet.
    • Start the Launcher. Go to the settings (cogwheel). Select your megaserver and the language you want to play in. Hit apply. Close the Launcher.
    • Now you can either copy the Launcher.app to your backup folder from above, overwriting the old file, and then renaming the backup folder to its original name (you'd have to delete/rename the newer folder first). Or you can copy the subfolder Elder Scrolls Online from the backup folder to the new one, if you have the space.
    • Start the Launcher again; it should begin downloading and applying the latest patch.
    • If this fails for some reason, make a right-click on Launcher.app and select Show Package Contents. Go to the Contents/MacOS subfolder. There you can find a host.developer.log file. You can provide this file to customer support.
    Please let me know how it turns out for you.