The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

3k+ Blazing shield crits

• Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Try fightning a blazing shield spammer in pvp, its just ridiculous. I mean I can spam hardened ward all the live long day, but it doesnt suddenly also hit my oponent(s) with a 4-5k dmg aoe blast.

Prove it got that high.
    Brandoid - Templar - Ebonheart Pack
  • Jimm_ay
    Jimm_ay
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the few videos, the Templar seemed to be doing well aside from blazing shield. Curious that 3000 hp is that with foods?
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandoid wrote: »
    Try fightning a blazing shield spammer in pvp, its just ridiculous. I mean I can spam hardened ward all the live long day, but it doesnt suddenly also hit my oponent(s) with a 4-5k dmg aoe blast.

Prove it got that high.

If it did that type of dmg, it must be some sort of bug. Hardly intended. I'm not saying it's made up, because I had loads of weird 3-4k stuff on my death recap since the 1.3.3 patch (before to). Not from Blazing Shield, but other skills, like Bats, Snipe, Magma Armor and even light attacks and burning DoT's, doing insane 1-shot dmg out of nowhere.

My Blazing Shields never deals more than few hundred to what ever guys are in mele range when I explodes. That's usually no one btw, because 90% of the Cyrodiil population are ranged staff users burning you down from different directions. But it does offer some protection against DK's and NB's, trying to pick me of 1v1 when I'm healing.

But yeah, still waiting impatiently on those broken 4k AoE blast, I keep hearing rumours about :(. Sadly I dont know a single person that experienced them lol.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »

Prove it got that high.

If it did that type of dmg, it must be some sort of bug. Hardly intended. I'm not saying it's made up, because I had loads of weird 3-4k stuff on my death recap since the 1.3.3 patch (before to). Not from Blazing Shield, but other skills, like Bats, Snipe, Magma Armor and even light attacks and burning DoT's, doing insane 1-shot dmg out of nowhere.

My Blazing Shields never deals more than few hundred to what ever guys are in mele range when I explodes. That's usually no one btw, because 90% of the Cyrodiil population are ranged staff users burning you down from different directions. But it does offer some protection against DK's and NB's, trying to pick me of 1v1 when I'm healing.

But yeah, still waiting impatiently on those broken 4k AoE blast, I keep hearing rumours about :(. Sadly I dont know a single person that experienced them lol.

I've PVP'd religiously since launch and I've gotten about 4-5 of those mega crits in all of that time.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazing Shield could only do that much damage, when used with Barrier, which up to patch 1.3.4 was stackable. You were making a 5000-6000 damage shield which exploded.
    Edited by p_tsakirisb16_ESO on August 13, 2014 5:24AM
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    Blazing Shield could only do that much damage, when used with Barrier, which up to patch 1.3.4 was stackable. You were making a 5000-6000 damage shield which exploded.

That is not how it works.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Enlighten us then :)
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've experimented a lot with shield stacking over the last couple of patches in order to replicate this mysterious high damage glitch and I've never gotten barrier and sun shield to work in conjunction with each other.

Over the last couple of months I've gotten a single lucky ~2700 crit but I wasn't even stacking anything at that time. I've gotten two ~1700 crit, a handful of ~1200 crits but 98% of my sun shield crits are within the ~400-700 damage area.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭

Enlighten us then :)

Read the thread.
  • CaptainSilverbrow
    CaptainSilverbrow
    ✭✭✭
    Skafsgaard wrote: »
    I play a templar main and I have tried stacking it - I can tell you for sure this is not how it happens, but pls tell me before fix

:)

Ignore the butthurt brigade. "Stacking Blazing Shield" by spamming it is a myth because the shield terminates and recasts when spammed; you can't have "multiple Blazing Shields" up, or multiply Blazing Shield by itself. There was chatter months ago about damage shields aggregating, and contributing toward Blazing Shield's damage element. Testing this more recently, I can't say I've not had mixed results (I'm HA melee, so only 20%-ish weapon crit' and far less spell crit'), but I can say with two legendary Hardening enchanted weapons, at least one of those have contributed to the shield on occasion. I'm uncertain if I've gotten higher (it's possible I have, but with so much going on in Cyrodiil, the input gets knocked off the logistics table), I've however seen a non-crit' go off for just under ~900 damage.

Tl;dr, you can't spam Blazing Shield for moar Blazing Shields, but you can stack other damage shield effects on top of it.
  • Taog ra
    Taog ra
    Soul Shriven
    Dudis wrote: »
    Going to make a lot of assumptions here and say it's probably a UI bug.

The shield can be as large as half your HP with enough enemies surrounding you and explode for half of that.

So rougly 1/4 of your maximum HP is the most the spell would ever do before crits.

UI? The guy exploded. They both did and neither knew what hit them until kill cap showed them.

Highest legitimate hit I've had when jumping in a large group of enemies was ~1.2k with a crit.
    These 3k+ crits are on single targets.

Edit: double quote

Didn't finish reading the entire thread (my apology up front) but were these targets Vampires in Stage 4?

I've seen my death toggle when I'm Stage 4 with flame damage in excess of 2.5k when hit with spell criticals from bosses and in PVP and I'm running 2x 1k Flame Resist pieces
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why
    It's indeed the way shields work but I very much doubt they intended the Blazing Shield damage effect to stack with other shields.

not saying it should stay the same but it makes logical sense to work the way its working. Blazing shield should not stack with itself but should stack with other shields.
    In order to get giant hits templars have a very defensive bar and there is a really easy way not to die from the shield... Don't attack it. If they are stacking 3 shields to get crazy damage then they are depleting magic quickly. If they are attacking you with multiple spells they aren't stacking shields and a single shield can't do that much unless it crits. Maybe if templars DPs wasn't half as much as others they wouldn't all need to build around blazing shield for PvP.
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    Skafsgaard wrote: »
    I play a templar main and I have tried stacking it - I can tell you for sure this is not how it happens, but pls tell me before fix

:)

Ignore the butthurt brigade. "Stacking Blazing Shield" by spamming it is a myth because the shield terminates and recasts when spammed; you can't have "multiple Blazing Shields" up, or multiply Blazing Shield by itself. There was chatter months ago about damage shields aggregating, and contributing toward Blazing Shield's damage element. Testing this more recently, I can't say I've not had mixed results (I'm HA melee, so only 20%-ish weapon crit' and far less spell crit'), but I can say with two legendary Hardening enchanted weapons, at least one of those have contributed to the shield on occasion. I'm uncertain if I've gotten higher (it's possible I have, but with so much going on in Cyrodiil, the input gets knocked off the logistics table), I've however seen a non-crit' go off for just under ~900 damage.

Tl;dr, you can't spam Blazing Shield for moar Blazing Shields, but you can stack other damage shield effects on top of it.

Not how it works.
    Taog ra wrote: »
    Going to make a lot of assumptions here and say it's probably a UI bug.

The shield can be as large as half your HP with enough enemies surrounding you and explode for half of that.

So rougly 1/4 of your maximum HP is the most the spell would ever do before crits.

UI? The guy exploded. They both did and neither knew what hit them until kill cap showed them.

Highest legitimate hit I've had when jumping in a large group of enemies was ~1.2k with a crit.
    These 3k+ crits are on single targets.

Edit: double quote

Didn't finish reading the entire thread (my apology up front) but were these targets Vampires in Stage 4?

I've seen my death toggle when I'm Stage 4 with flame damage in excess of 2.5k when hit with spell criticals from bosses and in PVP and I'm running 2x 1k Flame Resist pieces

Not how it works.
    Why
    It's indeed the way shields work but I very much doubt they intended the Blazing Shield damage effect to stack with other shields.

not saying it should stay the same but it makes logical sense to work the way its working. Blazing shield should not stack with itself but should stack with other shields.
    In order to get giant hits templars have a very defensive bar and there is a really easy way not to die from the shield... Don't attack it. If they are stacking 3 shields to get crazy damage then they are depleting magic quickly. If they are attacking you with multiple spells they aren't stacking shields and a single shield can't do that much unless it crits. Maybe if templars DPs wasn't half as much as others they wouldn't all need to build around blazing shield for PvP.

Not how it works.

If you all see the video I posted and the screen shot of a 3k+ hit, you see that I am using only Blazing shield with no others.
    The blazing shield damage stack is an exploitable bug that ZOS should fix immediately.
    It can be replicated by taking damage and recasting the shield while keeping anything that would take damage from it outside its blast radius.
  • Tarkit
    Tarkit
    ✭✭
    I've never seen my shield crit for much. Is it on spell or weapon crit?
  • Bipolo
    Bipolo
    ✭✭✭
    Hit by 1.95k and then 2.59k in a duel earlier today.

Templar was keeping his distance absorbing my light/heavy attacks and charged in after he kept refreshing it outside blast radius.

This is nothing more then a bug that needs fixing.

I don't mind Blazing Shield spam, but they should not be hitting for the numbers they do right now (and since they removed the magicka regen penalty they should consider increasing its cost)
    Edited by Bipolo on August 27, 2014 7:33AM
    Skeggǫld, Skálmǫld, Skildir ro Klofnir
    "Nords who prove themselves in battle awaken in the realm after death. Pain and illness vanish within the Hall of Valor.
    Revelry is never-ending, mead flows freely, and the greatest Nords of all time compete in tests of strength and prowess. (...)
    Through all the suffering and adversity in this world, true Nord warriors endure, for Sovngarde awaits."

- The Road to Sovngarde
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bipolo wrote: »
    and since they removed the magicka regen penalty they should consider increasing its cost

And ruin Templar Tanking?
  • JLB
    JLB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pmarsico9 wrote: »
    and since they removed the magicka regen penalty they should consider increasing its cost

Yep, only DKs are allowed to have shields (group shields, btw) that explode for humongous damage without penalties.
    For reference:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/128823/teh-bestest-new-dk-build
    Edited by JLB on August 27, 2014 5:50PM
  • balberith
    balberith
    ✭✭
    I can not comment on the stacking, but I have definitely done 1900+ damage to vamps in pvp. Seems like it counts as fire damage, so maybe its just vulnerability not so much a bug?
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    balberith wrote: »
    I can not comment on the stacking, but I have definitely done 1900+ damage to vamps in pvp. Seems like it counts as fire damage, so maybe its just vulnerability not so much a bug?
    In 1v1 situation Anything 1k+ is a damage stack. In fact I'd got fo far as to say anything over 750 may be a stack.

Templar was keeping his distance absorbing my light/heavy attacks and charged in after he kept refreshing it outside blast radius.

I don't mind Blazing Shield spam, but they should not be hitting for the numbers they do right now (and since they removed the magicka regen penalty they should consider increasing its cost)
    He was exploiting the bug and shields shouldn't hit anywhere near that. I disagree with the rest of your post.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am curious. Yes, we all know that that exploit 3k mega crit thing is bad. However, does anyone have an issue with a correctly functioning blazing shield that doesn't super crit for 3k?
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    does anyone have an issue with a correctly functioning blazing shield

Edited by Brandoid on August 28, 2014 4:05AM
  • Berbeluch
    Berbeluch
    Soul Shriven
    DFks8r.png

Edited by Berbeluch on August 28, 2014 4:32PM
  • Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pmarsico9 wrote: »

ROFL you are like DK. tank and dmgdealer. ZoS fail ballance
  • Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you did so awesome dmg and that was the 50% what is returned? :D
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    Kypho wrote: »
    Maybe you did so awesome dmg and that was the 50% what is returned? :D

That isn't possible, the shield is only so large and once it takes that damage it explodes. It hould only do 50% of its size or more with a crit.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blazing shield is affected by two bugs. one is a specific one only regarding blazing shield the other one is a bug connected to every AOE attack.
    both are quite obvious in this video (cudos to its creator)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjI35iMbXfE

first one regarding BS itself is its stackability when beeing depleted and refreshed while no enemy is in its effectivity range.
    the second one that happens to all aoe abilities is the dmg stacking of the dmg in one target instead of delivering it to multiple targets, in this vid while one mob recieves 9k dmg the other one recives 0. (regarding the number of usages of BS around 4,8k per mob would have been normal so instead of dmging both mobs for around 4,8k it stacks the dmg in one target for 9k+)
    Edited by Tankqull on August 29, 2014 12:17PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    balberith wrote: »
    In 1v1 situation Anything 1k+ is a damage stack. In fact I'd got fo far as to say anything over 750 may be a stack.

He was exploiting the bug and shields shouldn't hit anywhere near that. I disagree with the rest of your post.

I regularly get hit for 900+ damage from frag
  • andrewb14_ESO45
    I have done some testing in pve and once in pvp to determine how this bug works. Its not refreshing the shield. If it goes off and no one takes damage the amount of damage absorbed is stored. The catch is that from my testing if you break combat the stored damage.

So in pvp if a templar hangs back and takes ranged damaged from a zerg and stays alive between the shield + healing themselves then bombs into a zerg it will oneshot 1-6 players depending on if the aoe bugs and hits just one person.

Its actually very hard to do outside of pvp but in pvp you stay stuck in combat for long periods of time so the damage doesnt go away until someone eats it in the face.

The skill doesnt need a nerf. A maximum damage BS without the bug is 1.5-2k and that is with stacking and having 5+ people around you which normally means a suicide move.

The bug of stacking hits does need to be fixed ASAP.
  • andrewb14_ESO45
    To clarify my poor wording if the templar breaks combat the stored damage seems to go away.
  • Tarkit
    Tarkit
    ✭✭
    To clarify my poor wording if the templar breaks combat the stored damage seems to go away.

So to confirm.. if you put up the shield, get hit for say 1k damage, shield goes off but doesn't hit any enemy players, do this a couple of times to build it up (say 3 times for 3k in this example). Then you rush in and put it on the 4th time it'll hit for 4k damage?

The skill is strong enough without that.. you basically get a damaging Barrier for an inexpensive amount of magicka the bug needs to get removed.