The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

3k+ Blazing shield crits

Brandoid
Brandoid
✭✭✭
Bug or not? That is the question.

ropcphgwvoa2.png

x5hey61ylp5a.png

Sorry for large file size.
Brandoid - Templar - Ebonheart Pack
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    Going to make a lot of assumptions here and say it's probably a UI bug.

The shield can be as large as half your HP with enough enemies surrounding you and explode for half of that.

So rougly 1/4 of your maximum HP is the most the spell would ever do before crits.
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    Dudis wrote: »
    Going to make a lot of assumptions here and say it's probably a UI bug.

The shield can be as large as half your HP with enough enemies surrounding you and explode for half of that.

So rougly 1/4 of your maximum HP is the most the spell would ever do before crits.

UI? The guy exploded. They both did and neither knew what hit them until kill cap showed them.

Highest legitimate hit I've had when jumping in a large group of enemies was ~1.2k with a crit.
    These 3k+ crits are on single targets.

Edit: double quote
    Edited by Brandoid on June 20, 2014 11:12AM
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    Weird. Well in that case, I have no clue... :P
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its a bug, happens when you activate another shield before blazing shield ends and it accumulates the damage taken.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on June 20, 2014 11:30AM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    tplink3r1 wrote: »
    its a bug, happens when you activate another shield before blazing shield ends and it accumulates the damage taken.

I do that all the time and this is barely second time this has happened.

Edit:
    Have you made Blazing hit hard before too?
    Edited by Brandoid on June 20, 2014 11:33AM
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do that all the time and this is barely second time this has happened.

Edit:
    Have you made Blazing hit hard before too?
    yes, in PTS, but i didnt figured out how to get it to work all the time.
    hope they fix it before people start asking for nerf.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on June 20, 2014 11:36AM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    That was actually kidna easy to replicate with Healing Ward in PvE at least.

Most i managed was 1100 (non-crit) by letting a mob drop me to low health and using Healing Ward + Blazing shield
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    That was actually kidna easy to replicate with Healing Ward in PvE at least.

Most i managed was 1100 (non-crit) by letting a mob drop me to low health and using Healing Ward + Blazing shield

That actually seems normal with a hard hitting pve mob.
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    Huh? It's supposed to max out at about 1/4 of your maximum health before crit. The damage portion is hardly meant to stack with other absorb spells.

Btw, I only had 2200-ish health when i did my test since I didn't use a food buff and I wasn't in Cyrodiil.
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    Not record of 3k hit because I didn't record that, but in this video you can see 1k+ hits aren't uncommon against a single target.
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    1k crits seem fairly normal and not too outlandish taking everything into consideration.
    Like i said, I managed to get 1k non-crits without really even trying but to do that i had to stack different shields on top of eachother.

To get those 3k+ numbers, something seriously crazy is going on. :P
  • mb1995b16_ESO
    mb1995b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    It's not a bug, it's just the way shields work.
    If you activate blazing shield after stacking the 3 alliance war barriers (unmorphed+2 morphs) and than push into a zerg you can hit with a maximum of 2k basic damage. The damage you do depends on the dmg you get.
    You can even stack "Harness Magicka" with "Hardened Ward" which will give you a 1200-1400 shield with a 50% magical dmg reduction and 90 magicka per magical hit you recieve.
  • mb1995b16_ESO
    mb1995b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Btw: one of our main templars had a crit of 4400 xD
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    It's indeed the way shields work but I very much doubt they intended the Blazing Shield damage effect to stack with other shields.
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    Btw: one of our main templars had a crit of 4400 xD
    I'll believe i when I see it.

I've tried and tried since reading the comments to get shield stacking to work and it seems to me like it doesn't work.
    Is there something I'm missing?

edit: I don't think the shields actually 'stack' in a traditional sense. They seem to break individually when their damage value is met. It certainly looks like they stack on the bar, but do they really?
    Edited by Brandoid on June 21, 2014 6:27PM
  • mb1995b16_ESO
    mb1995b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    They do. We'd tested it in pve and pvp... you have to cast the shield which bolsters up the one with the wanted effect at first. So that means the first casted shield is also the one which breaks at first.

We don't have screens but it was a combination of 2 barriers + blazing shield :P

edit: Tested it again with hardened ward + harness magicka.... in 9 of 10 cases it worked like intendet... I don't know why it doesn't work everytime but lets say most of the time shields stack in the described way.
    Edited by mb1995b16_ESO on June 21, 2014 11:33PM
  • thomaswinkworthb16_ESO
    I hit 1.2k on two people in a 1v2 today, I had no shields other than blazing shield, I only have 2.7k health sooo yeah
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    The stacking has to be viewed as a bug. Because layering isn't in the tooltip. Sounds like the ole' WoW ignite issues. Chaining the Shields should not be viable as a means to do damage, and I'm a Templar advocate. That's just silly.
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    So now that it has been discovered how to replicate sunshield(blazing shield) bug where you can get a really big hit, I think Zos should fix it asap.
  • Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brandoid wrote: »
    Not record of 3k hit because I didn't record that, but in this video you can see 1k+ hits aren't uncommon against a single target.

I got hit many times for 2k+ dmg suddenly from blaze shield.

(( WoW. Eso is Gandalf vs Saruman? ))
  • Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    1k crits seem fairly normal and not too outlandish taking everything into consideration.
    Like i said, I managed to get 1k non-crits without really even trying but to do that i had to stack different shields on top of eachother.

To get those 3k+ numbers, something seriously crazy is going on. :P

Yupp 1k is so fairly normal... Seems NB need the same damage from ambush like they do in npc.... So templar will be easy like a DK now.
  • Skafsgaard
    Skafsgaard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a crit of 1903 against a lvl 11 i met in Cyrodiil last night. He wouldnt stop attacking me and i jumped around selfhealing. And cast some ice blockade for fun. After 3-4 mins he was still charging at me and light/heavy attacking to the best of his ability, of that there is no doubt in my mind. I did emotes /beg /wave but he would not stop attacking me. Ok - I thought let me die by his own hand - I shall not kill him. He was 1777 hp (im 3239). So I popped my blazing shield some times and did around 700 for normal busts. Then he had an ult or some high res attack hit me - but just before - i hit blazing shield which exploded almost as quickly as cast - and FTC shows *1903*

I felt a little sorry for the lvl 11 and did a /kneelpray

As to the discussion of how to get INSANE crits - i have heard stacking damage shields is not the way but keep freshing blazing shield (while some damage is stored) rinese and repeat until AoE mega death. I have been able to replicate any of this - but felt good at my 'regular' 1903 crit, just sorry it had to be a lvl 11.
    Edited by Skafsgaard on August 9, 2014 5:10AM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Get ready for the most intense online PvP experience ever created, with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

Yes, I am ready...

Source:
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/the-alliance-war
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blazing shield can be stacked. And thats silly. I had a real nice 1v1 against a templar the other day. Almost killed him a couple times, dominated the fight. He kept spamming blazing shield and healing, then suddenly i got hit for 5k dmg with the blazing shield. This is just silly. Fix asap.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fragmented shield can be stacked the same way. I have seen fragmented shield break the 1000 damage barrier on a crit.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • Skafsgaard
    Skafsgaard
    ✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Blazing shield can be stacked. And thats silly. I had a real nice 1v1 against a templar the other day. Almost killed him a couple times, dominated the fight. He kept spamming blazing shield and healing, then suddenly i got hit for 5k dmg with the blazing shield. This is just silly. Fix asap.

I play a templar main and I have tried stacking it - I can tell you for sure this is not how it happens, but pls tell me before fix

:)
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Get ready for the most intense online PvP experience ever created, with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

Yes, I am ready...

Source:
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/the-alliance-war
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    Blazing shield does not "stack" as in the shield points, but there there is some bug that has the stored damage stack if you refresh the shield while the enemy is out of the blasts radius.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might not be stacking per se, but there is something fishy about it. How else can it hit With an AOE that does 5k+ dmg?

PC EU
    PvP only
  • makkon
    makkon
    ✭✭✭
    broken skill. there shouldn't be such skills.
    eternal 1k+ shield with damage reflect...
    + even if they will fix all current ingame bugs - there still be zero balance
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    makkon wrote: »
    broken skill. there shouldn't be such skills.
    eternal 1k+ shield with damage reflect...
    + even if they will fix all current ingame bugs - there still be zero balance

The downside of statements like this is that it doesn't highlight another issue:

Without Blazing Shield damage, Templars are fodder for the other three classes.

And the Blazing Shield issues are nowhere near as bad as some of the NB crits I've eaten out of stealth in Cyrodiil.

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try fightning a blazing shield spammer in pvp, its just ridiculous. I mean I can spam hardened ward all the live long day, but it doesnt suddenly also hit my oponent(s) with a 4-5k dmg aoe blast.

PC EU
    PvP only