Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Craglorn and forced group content good idea or bad idea.

• fried_funk
    Forced group content is bad!
    Landscape group content, though it might seem a good idea in theory, it always proves bad in every MMO I practiced as the majority of players are unable (or find it very hard) to find a group to enjoy the content so I think that group content should stay where it belongs. Grouping to do quests is not easy with PUGs, in particular if you implement multi-phase quests (like the majority in ESO) because you find that almost always players are at a different phase making it hard for everyone to catch up. I am lucky enough to have my little circle of friend with which I was able to enjoy almost to all the Craglorn content but, wouldn't it be so, I would have a had a really hard time at that. As a final addition, being the type of player who enjoy reading all the quests text and follow the story I find that hard to do while in a group because usually people skip through text and want to proceed to action as fast as possible. So, in future new zones, I would like to see landscape single player content coming along with instanced group content (after all, you are already producing it so it is only a matter to confine it where it belongs).
  • fried_funk
    One more thing about quests: a somewhat good idea to balance things would be to let landscape quests (end environment) doable in solo, and have quest arches which, in the end, bring you to finish them in a dungeon where you have to group, this way people would probably group for dungeon X or dungeon Y and, at that stage, everybody would be at the same quest stage (or at least, it'd be a clear prerequisite which is doable solo before actually looking for group). Oh and one last thing, make dungeons worthwile (in terms of loot I mean) otherwise people *will likely not do them* because see them as a time waste...sad, but this is reality and you have to deal with it.
  • GFBStarWars
    GFBStarWars
    ✭✭✭
    No one force you to do group content in claglorn ( pvp doest give enough xp right now but will get better in future patch)
    I got to vr12 before reaching last of caldwell gold maps. (but if u hate questing then that is another poll to make)
    Just have fun while playing ;)

p.s.: content is there just to be played by who want to do it, only thing that is missing are solo daily and more group daily like dungeon etc (already announced)
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said this since day one, "why force things". Just make them hard enough where you need x number of players rather than be required to have x number of players. If someone wants to try soloing it let them. They can just die over and over again.

It's not that I think group content isn't important. In fact I think it's more important than any solo content in ESO and needs to be further developed but why box players or other sized groups in.
    Edited by Evergnar on August 25, 2014 3:23PM
  • schroed360
    schroed360
    ✭✭✭
    I answer no but could have answered yes . Forced group content can be good the real matter here is implementation. I think that the group delve are good, that the" dungeon" such as shada, the school of warrior etc..are good.BUT the main quests (celestial investigator) is awfull ...I mean those quest look great but finding poeple to do them is à pain in the &%#.
  • Helwyr
    Helwyr
    ✭✭
    I have no problem with forced group content so long as I'm not required to do it. This includes that there is no rewards or benefits found in that grouped content that cannot be attained elsewhere unless it is a reward/benefit that is only relevant to the same grouped PvE content in which it is attained.
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forced group content yes sure but and here is the crux of it phasing and grouping need to work a hell of a lot better. You can't even use the search tool to find ppl for group quests.
    Also the rewards and exp should outstrip grinding to encourage it. At the same time they should but a couple of odd none group things in similar to the quests in cyrodiil. Also the mobs in the world should be similar to vet zones not 8-9 strong.
    Just makes it harder to group if someone is across the map away from a wayshrine and needs you in their group it can be a mare to get to them.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Forced group content is good!
    I think as long as the main stuff is soloable then making other side quests group content is fine.

That is how you meet people in MMOs. It helps you find other people for group dungeons and what not. When you can just run everything alone in an MMO it's not a good thing. The last iteration of MMOs are almost more single player feeling than games like Battlefield or CoD.
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really want to like Craglorn because I think it's gorgeous and the story has potential.

But here's the thing: the questing doesn't make a lick of sense. They really should have followed the formula they used in the questing zones if they wanted the story to flow and be cohesive.

I mean, I GET the idea of uncovering small pieces of the puzzle but when you're relying on a group that ain't gonna happen.

Why? Because people are in a hurry. Particularly when it takes 40 forevers to find a build a group. After all that rigamarole, nobody wants to sit around and wait while the lore-*** listens to all of the quest texts.

So, you just end up running through what little content you CAN group for without the slightest sense of what's going on.

Bad, bad design.
  • Lizelle
    Lizelle
    ✭✭✭
    This is an MMO, you're supposed to play them with other people... Play single player games if you want to Solo.
  • CreepySpydre
    CreepySpydre
    ✭✭✭
    I do like doing group runs but the guilds I am in are more prone to do dungeons than lengthy questing, and who can blame them. Dungeons are quick, easy xp and you do not have to be in the same phase to do them, plus they are fun =) . Open world questing should only be solo, as some want to listen to the story while others just want to burn through. Based on the amount of post complaining about not finishing due to lack of interest for grouping, I would say Craglorn was a fail, just like the VR areas were suppose to be small group. Time to redo it as the other zones, solo questing with a group dungeon, and a public dungeons. Its a good formula not sure why the deviation in the first place.

I noted that some people need to really understand what a MMO is, because they completely miss the point. From Wikipedia;
    Massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPGs) mix the genres of role-playing video games and massively multiplayer online games, possibly in the form of web browser-based games, in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual world.

As in all RPGs, the player assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world or science-fiction world) and takes control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player online RPGs by the number of players able to interact together, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game

Do note:..... its interact.... not 'force to group'. So those that want a force group game go back to those games that has your avatar so useless it can not wipe its own butt without help.
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increase the rewards for doing them and we'll see more people playing there, thus making it easier to find groups.

I don't spend much time in Craglorn and do indeed find it frustrating, but that there is a group focused are imo is OK. I'd just like them to provide more incentive for people to play there. Better rewards, some cool achievements with color options, cool sets gear available only there etc.
    Edited by Vizier on August 30, 2014 7:23PM
  • felinith66
    felinith66
    ✭✭✭
    Do note:..... its interact.... not 'force to group'. So those that want a force group game go back to those games that has your avatar so useless it can not wipe its own butt without help.

LOL! Exactly. The fact that all MMO's have soloable content means they cater to both group and solo players.
    Edited by felinith66 on August 31, 2014 8:53AM
  • Martinus72
    Martinus72
    ✭✭✭✭
    While agree on the fact that end game should be for groups I dislike this existing wall we have to hit at vet10, especially with actual phasing system. I know they're working on improving this so I certainly hope that when I will get there it will be a different story.