Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Lethal Arrow borked to hell - 34,100 damage in a single shot

• Dleatherus
    Dleatherus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ifthir_ESO‌

there are some days when i feel that we are paying to partake in some sort of bizarre pvp mmo social experiment that measures the tolerance and breaking point of players to various negative game and player induced criteria

what i don't know is if those who left sooner are the smart ones, or those of us that are optimistic and stubborn and still hanging in will get the big reward

time will tell

D.
    Stands in Puddles VR12 NB
    Dleatherus VR10 Templar

Emperor Farmers, cheaters and exploiters - just like cockroaches in real life, Tamriel will never be rid of them
  • Ifthir_ESO
    Ifthir_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dleatherus‌ unfortunately what I think is that we are just dealing with a first time MMO company
  • Tombs_UDL
    Tombs_UDL
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all happy with this. This might be it for me also.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Huntler wrote: »
    Dleatherus wrote: »
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

devs need to take a good look at this

name left in so they know who to contact since it might be an honest glitch, even though we've experienced 'creative' death recaps from this particular gentleman before

D.

Happened several times to me yesterday, sad to see its still a problem. No idea if its a bug or actually an exploit, but the two times it happened to me yesterday it was by the same person in completely different fights hours apart.... like I said it could be either, but man its getting ridiculous.
    We're actively working on fixing what's causing this to happen. That said, if there's a player that you feel is exploiting the issue, please report them in-game and our Customer Support team will take a look and determine if any action is necessary. Thanks!
    ill report people when you guys actually start taking action against these people. there are maybe 2 or 3 people, that I THINK have been banned/suspended due to cheating. I THINK, I don't even know!:(
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

name left in so they know who to contact since it might be an honest glitch, even though we've experienced 'creative' death recaps from this particular gentleman before

D.

So I take it from that screenshot your Knee hurts?

• kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank god ZOS finally gave the bow a needed buff.

/runs and hides
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Dleatherus
    Dleatherus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So I take it from that screenshot your Knee hurts?

knee? - oh yeah - that thing that used to be there below the stump that used to be my thigh

kijima wrote: »
    Thank god ZOS finally gave the bow a needed buff.

/runs and hides

lol - i think this falls under their 'we don't want to make major adjustments to buffs and class/weapon balances, but rather tweak and then monitor how it effects the class/weapon'

D.
    Edited by Dleatherus on August 12, 2014 2:36AM
    Dleatherus VR10 Templar

Emperor Farmers, cheaters and exploiters - just like cockroaches in real life, Tamriel will never be rid of them
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've shot a lethal arrow for 3749, but i reported it as a bug. That's the only unusual one i've shot and I am heavily bow specced. I doubt this is just a bug. I think some of those players have a trick to repeat this.
  • Persephonius
    Persephonius
    ✭✭✭
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

D.

Happened several times to me yesterday, sad to see its still a problem. No idea if its a bug or actually an exploit, but the two times it happened to me yesterday it was by the same person in completely different fights hours apart.... like I said it could be either, but man its getting ridiculous.
    We're actively working on fixing what's causing this to happen. That said, if there's a player that you feel is exploiting the issue, please report them in-game and our Customer Support team will take a look and determine if any action is necessary. Thanks!

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

sadly some of these same individuals have been reported for several months and are still playing and utilizing whatever the next exploit of the week is

most of us don't even bother reporting them anymore since no statement is forthcoming from ZOS on these issues stating 'we are aware that if you enable 'x' and 'y' and 'z' in that order you will get insane damage - this is an unintended game mechanic that you may have activated accidentally - on first report you will be issued a warning, on a second report we will give a 3 day ban - subsequent offence will result in stronger action'

something along these lines:

2b054cd7d4.jpg

we all understand the game is young and we're working as a community, players and devs, on having it reach it's awesome potential - it's not an excuse for a ToS and 'spirit of the game' policy not being enforced

we can barely keep ONE campaign locked at max pop - strongly suggest ZOS starts to take a stronger stance on these issues since when you take into account that many of us are now having to queue for up to an hour (typically much less) during peak times, log in looking forward to some fun - run into these jokers - get kicked from game due to a client crash, log back in and sometimes have to rejoin the queue

SAVE OUR PVP POPULATION!!!!

D.

You cannot compare this game to EvE online. In EvE, quite often real money is at stake in null sec PvP, the consequences of cheating are far greater in EvE online and hence the punishments need to be more severe.

*Edit* Since you can purchase a pilots license extension (PLEX) with real money and sell it for isk, and likewise use in-game generated ISK to purhase PLEX, many EvE players including myself can see a clear link of ISK with our wallets (real money so to say). There are also more severe ingame consequences when you are killed in EvE online. In eso when you die in PvP you don't even incur a repair cost. I believe if players are taking advantage of a bug and exploiting it, it should not be a bannable offense. They didn't create/implement the bug. But if players are actively hacking/altering the game in some way, then BAN EM!!!!!!
    Edited by Persephonius on August 12, 2014 2:52AM
  • Dleatherus
    Dleatherus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

D.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

sadly some of these same individuals have been reported for several months and are still playing and utilizing whatever the next exploit of the week is

most of us don't even bother reporting them anymore since no statement is forthcoming from ZOS on these issues stating 'we are aware that if you enable 'x' and 'y' and 'z' in that order you will get insane damage - this is an unintended game mechanic that you may have activated accidentally - on first report you will be issued a warning, on a second report we will give a 3 day ban - subsequent offence will result in stronger action'

2b054cd7d4.jpg

we all understand the game is young and we're working as a community, players and devs, on having it reach it's awesome potential - it's not an excuse for a ToS and 'spirit of the game' policy not being enforced

we can barely keep ONE campaign locked at max pop - strongly suggest ZOS starts to take a stronger stance on these issues since when you take into account that many of us are now having to queue for up to an hour (typically much less) during peak times, log in looking forward to some fun - run into these jokers - get kicked from game due to a client crash, log back in and sometimes have to rejoin the queue

D.

You cannot compare this game to EvE online. In EvE, quite often real money is at stake in null sec PvP, the consequences of cheating are far greater in EvE online and hence the punishments need to be more severe.

i'd say that the thousands of folks that have unsubbed because of the exploiting and abusing of game mechanics at $15 each/mo, there was a lot of real money at stake here as well

i agree you can't compare games - look at EVE's NO BS policy - and that is in a game where it is legit to scam!

what you can do is look at the difference in tolerance between a game that allows scamming, and a game that proclaims to create a
    Please understand that our goal is to create a fun, welcoming, and safe environment for The Elder Scrolls Online community

unfortunately many members get to the point of why bother anymore when there is little evidence of ZOS having any teeth to enforce their self-proclaimed goal

more than anything i'm frustrated and disappointed at seeing a dwindling population of players in what for me is the best PvP environment i have played in 17 years - imperial city is gonna suck if all that's left is 20 EP, 16 DC and 12 AD facing off against each other

D.
    Dleatherus VR10 Templar

• Persephonius
    Persephonius
    ✭✭✭
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

D.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

2b054cd7d4.jpg

D.

i'd say that the thousands of folks that have unsubbed because of the exploiting and abusing of game mechanics at $15 each/mo, there was a lot of real money at stake here as well

i agree you can't compare games - look at EVE's NO BS policy - and that is in a game where it is legit to scam!

what you can do is look at the difference in tolerance between a game that allows scamming, and a game that proclaims to create a
    Please understand that our goal is to create a fun, welcoming, and safe environment for The Elder Scrolls Online community

unfortunately many members get to the point of why bother anymore when there is little evidence of ZOS having any teeth to enforce their self-proclaimed goal

more than anything i'm frustrated and disappointed at seeing a dwindling population of players in what for me is the best PvP environment i have played in 17 years - imperial city is gonna suck if all that's left is 20 EP, 16 DC and 12 AD facing off against each other

D.

Yes this is true. But also, when the bugs are fixed, the exploition also stops. All I am saying is the exploiters shouldn't take the sole blame for their ability to exploit.
    Edited by Persephonius on August 12, 2014 3:06AM
  • Dleatherus
    Dleatherus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

D.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

2b054cd7d4.jpg

D.

D.

Yes this is true. But also, when the bugs are fixed, the exploition also stops. All I am saying is the exploiters shouldn't take the sole blame for their ability to exploit.

yes they should - it's called being held responsible and accountable for one's own actions
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

D.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

2b054cd7d4.jpg

D.

D.

actually yes they should

it's called being held accountable and responsible for ones own actions

somebody falls through a hole in the map and starts poking around and exploring - is that an exploit - nope

somebody uses that same hole to walk around the 'outside' of cyrodiil and set up camps in safe zones to grief players etc - yes - that's an exploit

anywhere else in society cheats are punished

in school - cheat on a test - get caught - suffer the consequences - discourages a lot of cheaters

in sports - take steroids - fix a game - get caught - suffer the consequences - discourages cheaters

in r/l - steal - get caught - suffer the consequences - discourages a lot of would-be thieves

in mmo's - cheat/exploit - get caught - get banned - discourages a lot of exploiters

ESO - cheat/exploit - get caught - laugh about it - say you were helping develop the game, move onto next exploit - encourages a lot of exploiters

D.
    Dleatherus VR10 Templar

• Infraction
    Infraction
    ✭✭✭
    I would love sometime to understand how this happens every single patch without fail. We've seen the caltrops issue, the wayshrine at enemy gates, the silver bolts issue, and now this that is just hilariously broken, and we are supposed to willingly pay for this.

Ill never understand it and it will never be answered, forever to be a unsolved mystery.

twilight-zone.jpg
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Some' of what is happening right now is pointing at bugs, I was spamming venom arrow the other day, didn't realize I had the time to kill bug going on, managed to wipe quite a few people on sieges that didn't know they were being hit from behind, and then all of the sudden going boom with 100% full health.

I didn't stop until I realized what I was doing, the penny dropped after about the 3rd or 4th person going boom. And with no-one coming up chasing me to stop my shenanigans, I realized what was going on, I truthfully didn't even notice their health bar not going down myself.

Now, If I was one of those poor buggers that exploded not knowing which way was up, I'd be annoyed (the same thing has happened to me too, but being a primary bow user, it's more in my favor then not most of the time with this bug) and might report it as exploiting. I can see both sides to this.

I logged out and back in again as I don't see it as 'fair play' only to get the same bug again within an hour.

So, by your logic I should be banned right?
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another bug exploit that will happen unpunished while they work on fixing it.
  • Dleatherus
    Dleatherus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kijima‌

nope - if you took the time to read the first few posts i made you would see that i specifically state that this could be a bug

my ban comment refers specifically to the post i was responding to that specifically addresses exploiters

D.
    Edited by Dleatherus on August 12, 2014 3:47AM
    Dleatherus VR10 Templar

• Persephonius
    Persephonius
    ✭✭✭
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

D.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

2b054cd7d4.jpg

D.

D.

yes they should - it's called being held responsible and accountable for one's own actions
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

D.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

2b054cd7d4.jpg

D.

D.

actually yes they should

it's called being held accountable and responsible for ones own actions

somebody falls through a hole in the map and starts poking around and exploring - is that an exploit - nope

somebody uses that same hole to walk around the 'outside' of cyrodiil and set up camps in safe zones to grief players etc - yes - that's an exploit

anywhere else in society cheats are punished

in school - cheat on a test - get caught - suffer the consequences - discourages a lot of cheaters

in sports - take steroids - fix a game - get caught - suffer the consequences - discourages cheaters

in r/l - steal - get caught - suffer the consequences - discourages a lot of would-be thieves

in mmo's - cheat/exploit - get caught - get banned - discourages a lot of exploiters

ESO - cheat/exploit - get caught - laugh about it - say you were helping develop the game, move onto next exploit - encourages a lot of exploiters

D.

Some of these analogies are not so clear cut. Lets look at cheating on a test. Two scenarios. 1) If the rules state that you cannot bring your own notes to the test, and you bring notes, you have broken the rules and you should be punished. 2) lets say the demonstrator left an example of a problem on the white board/blackboard with an equation/derivation that is required in the test and forgot to remove it before beginning the test. If you look at the board and see what is written, you are exploiting the demonstrators mistake. I find most usually that what is considered exploitations is more like scenario 2. When a bug occurs ingame that is related to the skill set that you use, it is sometimes just there staring you in the face, and to avoid it you would have to stop using that ability, (choose not to look at the board with the answer). It is not the players fault that the developer left the answer on the white board so to speak, and so giving out bans, failing the test is not a clear cut consequence that should be administered.

Also, in real life you cheat and get punished, in MMO's you cheat and get punished, but in MMO's this is usually roleplay where all the interactions happen in-game. For example, stealing is not a great analogy, player driven justice systems in MMO's are built around it.
    Edited by Persephonius on August 12, 2014 4:53AM
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did read the thread in it's entirety, but it's your last few comments that seemed a little stronger.

I have no time for exploiters either, I just think that for 'some' and I'm not including you, talking about bans need to be done carefully and with consideration of the facts at hand. There are plenty of people that might read this thread and get the idea that anyone that might be experiencing a bug should get banned for exploiting when that isn't the case.

Granted, it wouldn't matter much at the moment as ZOS doesn't seem to be serious about exploiters anyway, just look at the issues with people getting into safe areas and the like.

I just think 'we' as the player base need to be careful of not getting onto the 'ban'wagon is all. I guess I'm playing devils advocate here, but hopefully you get my drift.

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• Persephonius
    Persephonius
    ✭✭✭
    kijima wrote: »
    I did read the thread in it's entirety, but it's your last few comments that seemed a little stronger.

I have no time for exploiters either, I just think that for 'some' and I'm not including you, talking about bans need to be done carefully and with consideration of the facts at hand. There are plenty of people that might read this thread and get the idea that anyone that might be experiencing a bug should get banned for exploiting when that isn't the case.

Granted, it wouldn't matter much at the moment as ZOS doesn't seem to be serious about exploiters anyway, just look at the issues with people getting into safe areas and the like.

I just think 'we' as the player base need to be careful of not getting onto the 'ban'wagon is all. I guess I'm playing devils advocate here, but hopefully you get my drift.

Yes this is what I am trying to say. And I didn't mean I was an exploiter by the way :neutral_face:

*edit* sorry my mistake. I misread, you didn't claim anyone to be an exploiter.
    Edited by Persephonius on August 12, 2014 5:03AM
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All good :D

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shot one lethal arrow for 3849 the other night and promptly reported this as a bug. Most of my other lethal arrows are under 1000, none other over 1250, and I have make bow skills and DMG. I don't believe that these other folks consistently shooting that high are doing so by accident. They found an exploit and are cheating IMHO.
  • manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been killed by this same person for similar numbers.
    - Mojican
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4gfFJ9T.jpg

Same person, three different screen shots. Why hasn't this loser been perma banned? Seriously, what else do you need?

• kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    40K of damage? We have a winner!

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• Persephonius
    Persephonius
    ✭✭✭
    Columba wrote: »
    I shot one lethal arrow for 3849 the other night and promptly reported this as a bug. Most of my other lethal arrows are under 1000, none other over 1250, and I have make bow skills and DMG. I don't believe that these other folks consistently shooting that high are doing so by accident. They found an exploit and are cheating IMHO.

Yes it seems like it. Each image, the lethal arrow is preceded by a fire based attack. Someone else mention about a bug with scalding rune......
  • Tintinabula
    Tintinabula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not a constant though..if it were a constant hack wouldn't there be 20 + screenshots?

Im just getting the impression this happens to this guy occasionally and he may not even know its happening(especially if he doesn't have a dps meter.)

Has anyone whispered him and said "hey wtf man?"
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by kijima on August 12, 2014 7:31AM

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps

• Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    since the patch:

ce37b78056.jpg

5fb7a68980.jpg

D.

@ZOS_GinaBruno‌

2b054cd7d4.jpg

D.

D.

It doesn't actually stop though, it's more like a delay. They either find a different way to achieve the same exploit like they have for getting past the gates, or they find something new to exploit. It never stops, it just moves to the next exploit. You will always be chasing them trying to prevent them from exploiting unless you deal with the exploiters and throw them out of the game.

_________
    You can't predict what the next bug will be, but you can predict that the exploiters will exploit it. If you remove the exploiters before the next bug you can predict that the bugs exploitation will be limited. In the same way if you do nothing about the exploiters you can predict their numbers to grow in the absence of consequence. Doing nothing just emboldens the behavior.
    Edited by Armitas on August 12, 2014 11:06AM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a slightly off-topic question. Are we required to use some addon that shows damage numbers? Because I don't use any, don't fight solo (usually), and have sloppy fps in battle - so I have no idea how much health an enemy has (in numbers), how much they lost and for how much I'm hitting them. I kind of hope this only affects bows, which I don't use.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Persephonius
    Persephonius
    ✭✭✭
    Merlight wrote: »

I have a slightly off-topic question. Are we required to use some addon that shows damage numbers? Because I don't use any, don't fight solo (usually), and have sloppy fps in battle - so I have no idea how much health an enemy has (in numbers), how much they lost and for how much I'm hitting them. I kind of hope this only affects bows, which I don't use.

I think the most popular parse/statistics add-on is the foundry tactical combat add-on. You can find it here among others.

http://www.esoui.com/addons.php

Installing minion is not a bad way to keep track of your add-ons either.
This discussion has been closed.