Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update and Add-ons - what a pain

scratchnsniff
scratchnsniff
✭✭✭
Why do we lose all our setting when an update is performed?
Why do all the Add-ons go out of date?

I love the add-on system, but sometimes it is a pain.

Is there a way to prevent this?
They call me the magic man.
*** Now you see me***
*** Now you don't ***
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's how add-ons works. They're created for a specific version of the game, when the game is updated the changes may affect the add-on's functionality. Earlier, when ZOS was figuring out their stance on API, entire add-ons were rendered useless. So just wait until the authors check if something's different and release the update version - sometimes just with a different build number. But they usually still work, so you can tick the "allow outdated add-ons" box and keep using them.
    Edited by Rosveen on June 24, 2014 10:58PM
  • MasterWarrior
    MasterWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    This is the first time I lost my settings and I had lots of settings. I even have backups and those don't even work either. I have been playing since March 30 and I have 21 addons. The Wykkyd Framework being the one that is a major pain to set up because I like it a certain way. I love the add on and not the fault of the author in anyway and I hope the author continues the good work but yeah all my adds on got reset. I have to set up all over again. :(
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. You're right, losing all settings is indeed unusual.
  • Teevesnacks
    Teevesnacks
    ✭✭✭
    Meh

Experienced this with major updates in world of warcraft, was a bit of a pain to re-configure but whatever
  • scratchnsniff
    scratchnsniff
    ✭✭✭
    I found it weird that ZOS made us agree again to the CoC before we were allowed to access the add on menu. I wonder if they are going to start the crack down on Add-ons.

I enjoy the game, but the add-ons make it so much better. I hope they don't start taking them away.
    Not to mention half of them don't work, had to disable them.
    Edited by scratchnsniff on June 24, 2014 11:12PM
    *** Now you see me***
    *** Now you don't ***
  • Sotales
    Sotales
    Soul Shriven
    Happened to me as well with this and the last patch.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The new ToS agreement surprised me as well. I imagine they're sick of ZrMiniMap and ESOhead causing so many headaches.
  • scratchnsniff
    scratchnsniff
    ✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »
    The new ToS agreement surprised me as well. I imagine they're sick of ZrMiniMap and ESOhead causing so many headaches.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking!!
    *** Now you see me***
    *** Now you don't ***
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bank addon isn't working... I'm going to cry
  • dbishop
    dbishop
    ✭✭✭
    ZR mini map broken this morning. <sadface>
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Which one? Bank addons are essential. :o

Damn it, I won't be able to check anything until they're done with the EU maintenance... That's another half a day.
    Edited by Rosveen on June 25, 2014 12:05AM
  • scratchnsniff
    scratchnsniff
    ✭✭✭
    dbishop wrote: »
    ZR mini map broken this morning. <sadface>

HaHa
    ZRMM was broken a long time ago. :)
    *** Now you see me***
    *** Now you don't ***
  • AstroCat
    AstroCat
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah most of my addons are done for... hoping they can be fixed. :(
  • dbishop
    dbishop
    ✭✭✭
    Had to disable them all as I can't work out which ones are broken and which ones are ok. Give it a day or two and hopefully most of them will be patched up.
  • scratchnsniff
    scratchnsniff
    ✭✭✭
    dbishop wrote: »
    Had to disable them all as I can't work out which ones are broken and which ones are ok. Give it a day or two and hopefully most of them will be patched up.

Most of Wykkyd's stuff works. FTC works, Light Weight MM works
    *** Now you see me***
    *** Now you don't ***
  • mumok
    mumok
    ✭✭✭
    Well this update broke Guild Store Search(which is a must have!) and Souschef. If I don't disable them I get endless error messages.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mumok wrote: »
    Well this update broke Guild Store Search(which is a must have!) and Souschef. If I don't disable them I get endless error messages.

Me too.
  • tervalas
    tervalas
    Soul Shriven
    Hi guys! I'm an addon developer and I'd like you to know that the official API change during this patch, while somewhat expected, was not really put out by ZO to the developer community. Most of us didn't get patched until mid to late afternoon because of downtime and I'm sure others will be posting updates as soon as they can.

Addons I have that I had to temporarily disable: ZrMiniMap, Librarian, InventoryMod.

We cannot help the settings resets this time. Sorry about that.
  • scratchnsniff
    scratchnsniff
    ✭✭✭
    tervalas wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm an addon developer and I'd like you to know that the official API change during this patch, while somewhat expected, was not really put out by ZO to the developer community. Most of us didn't get patched until mid to late afternoon because of downtime and I'm sure others will be posting updates as soon as they can.

Addons I have that I had to temporarily disable: ZrMiniMap, Librarian, InventoryMod.

We cannot help the settings resets this time. Sorry about that.

I understand. Not blaming you. Just wish there was a way to keep our settings and not have to redo everything each major patch.

I love the addons and wouldn't like the game as much with out them.
    *** Now you see me***
    *** Now you don't ***
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I don't use many addons, but one I really like is the True Exploration one (Where you map is only uncovered as your character explores). It's a shame all that information gets lost with updates :disappointed:
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep addon settings with patch 1.2.3

Some of the format for SavedVariables changed. Also, the game isn't reading/inserting @AccountName in the addon config files for some reason.

By following these instructions (making the backup first as indicated), everything should work, unless the addon needs an update like the ones I specifically mention.

When the game figures out what it is supposed to do the @AccountName will get automatically inserted and things will continue to work (without you noticing it was put back in).
    Edited by Phinix1 on June 25, 2014 4:10AM
  • lycanslerwb17_ESO
    lycanslerwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The only mod working for me is one that shows ongoing quests.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you follow my instructions? I'll do a video in a sec to show how...
  • scratchnsniff
    scratchnsniff
    ✭✭✭
    Did you follow my instructions? I'll do a video in a sec to show how...

Aliendiplomat,

I watched ur ui video the other night, I implemented some of the addons you suggested. It was great.

The problem for me was I got home, sat down and logged in. Did look at the forums. I lost all settings.

I have two add one like loot drop and azurah that dont even work. Azurah doesn't even show up in the add on menu.

Ideas?
    *** Now you see me***
    *** Now you don't ***
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a video that shows you how to update your settings files so all your addon settings carry over to patch 1.2.3:

How to update addon settings to work with patch 1.2.3

Some addons will need to be updated by the authors so if you get any addon-specific errors you still want to disable those until they are updated. However, this will at least let you keep your settings for the ones that work.

@scratchnsniff - Azurah *sort of* works if you ignore the error and follow the instructions in the video, though the positioning part seems broken.

LootDrop needs an update as it gives errors currently whenever you loot. Hopefully that will be fixed in the next days.
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Which one? Bank addons are essential. :o

Damn it, I won't be able to check anything until they're done with the EU maintenance... That's another half a day.

the auto stash and retrieve addon (BankManager) doesn't even show up in the settings interface anymore

THE HORROR
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do all the Add-ons go out of date?

For the same reason the calendar on your desktop goes out of date after new year's eve ;-)

• GrfxGawd
    GrfxGawd
    ✭✭✭
    As a gamer, and a very minor addon utility developer I created a fairly sizeable post concerning this. You can find it here. Was this some sort of demonstration?
    The TOS addon and utility specific agreement, settings files and data I can only guess intentionally toasted. At minimum, there was no warning given to the community. The lack of API change information. Yes, changes happen, addons break - but this was something I haven't quite experienced in decades of gaming. I'm left not knowing what to think.
    You know, I was once an optimistic gamer just like you. Then I took a patch to the game client from Zenimax.
  • mumok
    mumok
    ✭✭✭
    This game is a husk without the addons.
  • scratchnsniff
    scratchnsniff
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to write an add on that breaks all add ons. Oh wait ZOS just did that. My bad!

Just joking.

In all seriousness, Without the add ons, I probably would have gotten bored and frustrated and not subscribed. I just want them to work.

I appreciate all the work the developers do, I understand that this is not their fault. I also understand that ZOS should only have to worry about their game and not third party add ons that others create.

So where does that leave us?

A game that appears to be designed for counsel gaming, converted to an MMO. Its a fun game, just not MMO friendly. IMO
    *** Now you see me***
    *** Now you don't ***