Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stuck on molag bal

• Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will be interested to see how my sorcerer handles this fight when I get there.

As much bashing as the NB gets over balancing, I have to say this fight was a breeze for my duel-wielding life-draining NB. Fight was only about 2 mins long and I never even had to drink a healing potion.
  • Inupis
    Inupis
    ✭✭✭
    My resto staff DK had no trouble with Molag Bal. Constant heals and only basic staff damage attacks and I owned him.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grao wrote: »
    Rhoric wrote: »
    I have a restro staff. I have used both restro and a bow. And as I have said nothing works.

ok, I am a sorcerer too and got past that fight with some struggle. Let us know in which phase of the fight you are dying? That way we can try identifying problems. 1st phase is before the dragons, second phase is dragons, third is after dragons.

I am stuck at phase 1 of him. I'm to the point of deleting my character
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a restro staff. I have used both restro and a bow. And as I have said nothing works.

ok, I am a sorcerer too and got past that fight with some struggle. Let us know in which phase of the fight you are dying? That way we can try identifying problems. 1st phase is before the dragons, second phase is dragons, third is after dragons.

ok, what you need to understand is that Molag'bal is all about mobility and fast reaction. Sorcerer's are not necessarily the best for that, but you can make do.

- Keep Bolt escape on your bar for 'oh ***' moments.
    - Stay away from Molag'bal, but never too far, otherwise he will jump again.
    - You will never get to use any channeled abilities, go with heavy / light attacks
    - Take potions with you! That is very important
    - If you have self heals, keep one in your bar
    - Block the blue fire balls from Molag'bal. It will cost you DPS and make the fight even longer, but if you don't block, you will die

This is a really long engage for a sorcerer. On the first phase try staying at a safe distance from the boss, roll back when he jumps, bolt escape once. That is basically how I did it... I ran and bolt escapped, attacked the boss about 2 or 3 times, run again. It sucks that most of your abilities are pretty much pointless, but it is the reality of the fight.

On second phase (when dragons drop), just block. That phase is easy and meant to let you heal and regain full mana. Block and watch the balls bounce from you and kill dragons.

Third phase, keep on running. Rinse, repeat. ^^
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ok, what you need to understand is that Molag'bal is all about mobility and fast reaction. Sorcerer's are not necessarily the best for that, but you can make do.

- You will never get to use any channeled abilities, go with heavy / light attacks
    - Block the blue fire balls from Molag'bal. It will cost you DPS and make the fight even longer, but if you don't block, you will die

This is a really long engage for a sorcerer. On the first phase try staying at a safe distance from the boss, roll back when he jumps, bolt escape once. That is basically how I did it... I ran and bolt escapped, attacked the boss about 2 or 3 times, run again. It sucks that most of your abilities are pretty much pointless, but it is the reality of the fight.

On second phase (when dragons drop), just block. That phase is easy and meant to let you heal and regain full mana. Block and watch the balls bounce from you and kill dragons.

Thank you for your assistance @Grao. Atleast you took the time to sit down and actually tried to help, where as others just said learn to play. I did get closer to getting to phase 2 but in the end still died 6 times. Maybe I'm getting too old, turned 43 last month, lol.
  • sojurne
    sojurne
    So much for playing how you want to play, when you need a specific build just to beat a main quest boss, ya good going there Devs..
  • Kryank
    Kryank
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for your assistance @Grao. Atleast you took the time to sit down and actually tried to help, where as others just said learn to play. I did get closer to getting to phase 2 but in the end still died 6 times. Maybe I'm getting too old, turned 43 last month, lol.

Other people have tried to help with a description of what to do I even put a video up showing you, in the video I don't use any skills you cannot I use a resto staff heavy attack, block, dodge roll and the resto staff heal that's it.

did you watch the video? as it is a lot easier when you watch someone else doing the fight.

good luck and keep trying
    'I am not entering into a battle of wits with a man who is clearly unarmed'
    Follow My Twitch Channel Or Youtube Channel
    Sneaky Kryank DC NB
    Psyreni DC Sorc
    Kryank Of The Flame. DC Temp
    Kryank Smash DC DK
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bhakura wrote: »
    Commonpain wrote: »
    Bhakura wrote: »
    1. get a self heal
    2. go easy on your resources, use alot of powerattacks, those are free
    3. avoid aoes to keep incoming damage at a minimum

and this

Block > Heal > Heavy attack
    Rinse and repeat for about 5-10 min. ---> Win

what you are saying here is, its ok to stand in AOE, whats your character name that runs vet dungeons and later when its out craglorn?
    That is one i DO NOT want to team with.

A real man is not afraid to show Molag Bal that his AOE is useless.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • Jimm_ay
    Jimm_ay
    ✭✭✭
    There is a large rock cropping in, I basically ran around that to avoid AOE and attacks, waiting for his Drop in nuke attack and turned around and hit with a heavy attack, rinse, repeat. I am a templar - so the self heal helped and relying on a heavy stam attack kept my magicka up. It was a loooong fight.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kryank wrote: »

Other people have tried to help with a description of what to do I even put a video up showing you, in the video I don't use any skills you cannot I use a resto staff heavy attack, block, dodge roll and the resto staff heal that's it.

did you watch the video? as it is a lot easier when you watch someone else doing the fight.

good luck and keep trying

No, most of the people were NB, DK or templars. And those sorcerers that did post didn't really give any info on how they did it, just that they did it. And as I have said here and in other topics, I have read everything and watched every video i could find. None of that helped.
  • Jimm_ay
    Jimm_ay
    ✭✭✭
    I am a templar...man it was hard until I got a groove. trust me. Once you get past the mob spawn, just run and gun. Seriously that big rock helps, you get out of his LOS and just wait for his drop from the sky attack, there is about 2-3 seconds after that he does not attack or move and you can hit him, I threw a heavy two handed drive by and one of my fire powers (if my magicka was up) and just kept running in a circle around the rock. I did not take my finger off the run key..it was the Monty Python method...RUN AWAY RUN AWAY....HIT..RUN AWAY....all the while knowing with my luck I would get him down to 99% and die....that only happened once ;)
  • Elvinfire
    Elvinfire
    ✭✭
    This is a real shame for me. I have the same problem as the original poster, Breton Sorcerer, specialized in healing with my 2 'friends'. Although completely unaware, I choose the wrong spells, and I can't complete Molag Bal. I've tried dozens of times, I'm level 49, done everything in the game teamed and solo, have no money left, and no more gameplay. I was really enjoying it, up to this point. I read all the pointers, watched all the available videos, ate health, magic, and stamina beforehand , and blocked his minions, I die right after with no health left. This is a much easier game for a tank for sure. See everyone around.

• Wavek
    Wavek
    ✭✭✭
    My method and he's a cake walk: Dont bother using special attacks on him, just use regular mouse click attacks, he has too much health to burn quick and its a waste of resources. Watch close for his 2 types of aoe attacks and avoid them. Your buffed regen will handle his melee damage.

When the waves of enemies come, move way from MB and beat them down asap then go back to him.

I did this fight and never went below about 90% health and I did not have any sort of self heals at the time (though that might have made it even easier)
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand how anyone can have trouble against Molag bal since you are basically god moded for that quest.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some posters still don't get it. When we try everything that was posted and have watched videos and nothing works then there is an issue and the fight needs changing to allow grouping and for them to stop forcing us to solo. This is an MMO after all. Not a SPO (single player online)
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not understand how anyone can have trouble against Molag bal since you are basically god moded for that quest.

Youre not really god moded once you get into one on one combat with him. But I get it. You were purposely leaving out some key factors in your comment so you could come off superior and condescending.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on May 28, 2014 5:27AM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Elvinfire
    Elvinfire
    ✭✭
    So I've done it. Waited till I was 49 1/2, and went back. This time, I did the opposite to what everyone suggested. I brought my Twilight and my Unstable, and set them free on Molag, whilst running around in circles screaming and healing my friends, and of course, re-animating them as necessary. It took forever (almost 20 minutes anyway) and he was slowly picked to death. :-) YES! Not an easy mission to say the least. whewwww.........
  • Wargasmo
    Wargasmo
    ✭✭✭
    or you could have put on a resto staff ran around like a headless chicken and light attacked your way to victory in a 5th of the time with a few heals peppered in.

But hey, if you want to bake cakes with a candle and some tin foil far be it from me to force you to use the oven.

Just don't expect me to hire you when it's time to put on a buffet. Unless you're a dk. DK candles bake hotter and DK tin foil is more energy efficient than Templar and NB ovens.
    Edited by Wargasmo on June 1, 2014 8:02PM
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I'm vet one, getting ready to fight him, and I am rather terrified its going to be a long slog of rez and repair. I'm a nightblade that focuses on dual wield and bow. Class abilities are Siphoning and Assassination. How should I go about this fight?
  • Wargasmo
    Wargasmo
    ✭✭✭
    Point the bow at him. Shoot an arrow. Pointy end goes in the other guy. Rinse repeat profit
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wargasmo wrote: »
    Point the bow at him. Shoot an arrow. Pointy end goes in the other guy. Rinse repeat profit

lol. Just fought him. My health barely ever got below 95 %. Ridiculously easy fight.

Just kite the heck out of him with swallow soul going and pound on the "shoot" key until he is dead.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I beat him as a Vr1 NB archer with no self healing ever done. took me 3 tries. what I did, was hit him with some shots, then ran back when he did a power attack, and used those stone structure things as cover, I would run around them for a few minutes while my health, magic, and stam regenerated(some self healing was used. lol). When those annoying titans come, just block. The fire balls will bounce off of you, and kill them quite easily. Note that it also blocks molag bols fire balls as well, as I have done it a few times in the fight. If you try to run around those structures as I did, don't just run in a circle, move against him, if you know what I mean. keep him behind it, while your character auto heals(or while you use potions and spells to heal yourself) I used this formula, and it took me 3 tries, and I used no healing potions, or healing spells. Im sure there are better ways though. Hopefully I was at least SOME help to you. In fact, I used this formula to tackle some of the hard Vet zone bosses as well. works really well if you do it right.
    Edited by Cody on June 3, 2014 2:26AM