Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Dragonknights & Sorcerers Online!

• Crescent
    Crescent
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they remove PvP from any game they gut its shelf life. PvP is spontaneous and by its very nature the feature with most longevity for consumers.

PvE gets boring really quick once you've mastered the scripted encounters. Every PvP encounter on the other hand is different in some way.

I don't understand why people want to cut either. PvE provides immersion and attachment to the game world. And PvP provides a lasting community and rivalry feel.

What they need to do, and most developers never do because their balancing teams are too small and cannot handle required workloads, is balance skills differently in each format.
    Edited by Crescent on May 17, 2014 9:48PM
  • dennis.schmelzleb16_ESO
    Crescent wrote: »

4 good spells (including encase). The rest are crap.

Including Encase?
    Are you serious?

Although I like Encase (using Shattering Prison in my main build) it is soooo weak compared to Burning Talons!

Im quoting myself:
    I was looking for an AoE Sorc build and started to compare Burning Talons to Shattering Prison.

Here are the results: (Values are from ESOhead with same settings (spellpower, max magicka, lvl,...) so not exactly the real values)

-Area of Effect
    BT: Pi*r² = Pi*8² = 201 square meter!
    SP: l*b = 15*3 = 45 square meter!
    Looking at the AE damage skills ingame, a circle is more useful, especially as the 3 mtr. width of SP is really tiny. Enemys can stand in meele range and aren't affected by SP.
    Winner: DK by far!

-Root-Duration
    BT: 4 sec
    SP: 4,5 sec
    No real difference here
    Winner: Sorcerer but close run!

-Costs
    BT: 420 Magicka
    SP: 532 Magicka
    Even if you consider the costreduction Sorcerers have it's not on par and you should even consider that DK have the same amount of passives as Sorcs, others but not less useful.
    Winner: DK by far (ignoring the passives, as not comparable)

Damage:
    BT: 217 direct + 237 damage over time
    SP: 160 direct
    Same here, as with costs. But here has the one with the better damage even the better passives, compared to costs where Sorcs had better passives, but also had higher costs.
    Winner: DK by far (even with ignoring the passives, who would benefit the DK)

Conclusion:
    Sorc wins one round, but very close. (10% more)
    DK wins 3 rounds and every one by far!
    AOE nearly 5 times more
    Costs round about 20% less
    Damage 180% more

Now lets try to bring them on par:
    -Raise AoE of SP 8x20 (SP 160 compared to BT 201 sqm)
    -Reduce cost of SP by 100 (SP 432 compared to BT 420)
    -Double damage of SP (SP 320 compared to BT 454)

SP would still have a smaller area, would cost more and had less damage.
    This would negate the 0,5secs more root it has and the fact that BT dot can be purged.
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still_Mind wrote: »
    Not VR. Worthless opinion tbh.
    I run VR content with a guildie DPS Sorc. Does over 1k DPS single target sustained, just shy of 6k AoE. More then enough for VR. I kill VR players on my noob Sorc, too.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Would really appreciate your guildie sharing his build. As far as I can tell from reading these boards and Tamriel FOundry pretty consistently, no sorc has even claimed over 800 dps sustained. The highest video proof we have is right around 600 sustained.
    Edited by Erock25 on May 18, 2014 1:19PM
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »
    I run VR content with a guildie DPS Sorc. Does over 1k DPS single target sustained, just shy of 6k AoE. More then enough for VR. I kill VR players on my noob Sorc, too.

Would really appreciate your guildie sharing his build. As far as I can tell from reading these boards and Tamriel FOundry pretty consistently, no sorc has even claimed over 800 dps sustained. The highest video proof we have is right around 600 sustained.
    If I recall correctly, he's using full light armour build, Worm Cult set bonus+something else, a Resto staff (Cycle of Life, Siphon Spirit), Spell Symmetry, Shards, Atronach Ulti, Wrath (execute phase) and Inner Light. On static fights, he easily exceeds 1k DPS (with healing and with healer taking care of Siphon spirit). Involves a lot of Shards spamming (mix in shards=>light attack and symmetry for mana management), and Atronach as soon as he has the Ultimate for it (about 80% uptime, 150-ish DPS on top of what he's doing).

Hope that helps.

Oh, and do note that I'm all for Sorcerer streamlining - right now their skill lines are all over the place. It truly is a peaks-and-valleys class, some of its skills simply amazing, while others sorely lacking. Quite a mess, really.

EDIT: Forgot the Ultimate.
    Edited by Still_Mind on May 18, 2014 3:12PM
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
  • Ruddertail
    Ruddertail
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda doubt that previous post. Optimal sorc DPS is more along the lines of stacking spell crit and using Velocious Curse alongside Shards.

And definitely not using the worm cult armor, it'll only reduce your dps due to less spellcrit.
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    Quite possible. He's constantly experimenting, and this may be an outdated instance of his setup. I'm certain of 3 facts - Resto staff, magelight, arseloads of damage.
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruddertail wrote: »
    I kinda doubt that previous post. Optimal sorc DPS is more along the lines of stacking spell crit and using Velocious Curse alongside Shards.

And definitely not using the worm cult armor, it'll only reduce your dps due to less spellcrit.
    i am not a fan of the tank set either Ebon is garbage you could do better with green sets and up[grading them

• poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an army I'm building. Because I could not really tell what was going to work, I did 4 beta sessions, but still, I have 7 chars in play.

My Altmer Sorc is kinda OP at level 24 but she is a lot of fun in a dungeon.

My level 18 DK is really starting to develop nicely as my tanky build. They are difficult for me for some reason.

My level 15 Kajiit NB is also developing well and I'm starting to get a good handle on the class. My son has a VR1 NB he plays very well.

My level 13 Dunmer Sorc Battlemage is a hoot, I learned a lot from the witch and this more robust sorc is a lot of fun.

My level 13 Orc Soirc is my Blacksmith but does get down very well when we go get shards etc.

My level 10 Wood Elf NB is my Enchanter and Alchemist and as he grows those two in levels, we all get stronger.

My level 10 Argonian Templar is the cook and he is supping my son as well as the rest of my army.

I have a mule for slot 8 but he is just a container.

So 103 levels so far.

This is working very well. I'm far enough behind the curve that useful information can make a difference to my progression. So I have not done several things that would have cost to reverse.

I know the world quite well and it's a great deal of fun to do it this way. A lot of work, just the banking is a chore but, everyone gets all new stuff every second level. We are well kitted out and now the Wood Elf is starting to rock the enchantments I can actually refine my level builds. My witch is 16 3 4 right now and part of that is a lot of health and stamina enchanted into her stuff.

Running the Foundry Tactical Combat mod and a few others, but understanding how damage etc works realtime is also changing how I build. Recommended.

Yup, I'm in it for the long term, and having a blast. PvP is of course the goal here, it's just so much fun.

• Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Erock25 wrote: »

If I recall correctly, he's using full light armour build, Worm Cult set bonus+something else, a Resto staff (Cycle of Life, Siphon Spirit), Spell Symmetry, Shards, Atronach Ulti, Wrath (execute phase) and Inner Light. On static fights, he easily exceeds 1k DPS (with healing and with healer taking care of Siphon spirit). Involves a lot of Shards spamming (mix in shards=>light attack and symmetry for mana management), and Atronach as soon as he has the Ultimate for it (about 80% uptime, 150-ish DPS on top of what he's doing).

Hope that helps.

Oh, and do note that I'm all for Sorcerer streamlining - right now their skill lines are all over the place. It truly is a peaks-and-valleys class, some of its skills simply amazing, while others sorely lacking. Quite a mess, really.

EDIT: Forgot the Ultimate.

So he is doing the exact same thing everyone else is while putting out 200-400 more dps. Trust me I'd love to be proven wrong, as I'm not at that level (vr3 and mix match gear) yet so I can not find out myself, but no one has claimed DPS near that and plenty of VR10 have posted with that same idea +/- curse.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Feidam
    Feidam
    ✭✭✭
    If he is talking bursting the quest mobs that number is valid. Good string of crits and I can hit 1000+ easy. Sustained is another matter. I usually heal dungeons, but the few times I've been dps my boss sustain is anywhere from 550 to 610ish.