The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

WHich traits are better for tanking?

• alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    alexj4596b14_ESO and you dont get it, the shield dont account for you armor or block, you take a 100% pure damage hit on any shield before your block or armor or spell ress comes into play its, damage mitigation > Shield > Block > Armor/spell resistance in that order.

the stupid thing here is that if you block and the shield takes the full hit you still loose stamina for blocking an attack even tho the block mitigation wont affect the Shield.

i have never had this happen, ever, if im blocking a incoming attack, say a charged attack, and i pop my shield, and proceed too block, i revive no damage at all the boss never touches my health ever, i never run out of stamina, or magic for that matter so either way dose not mater too me.

and if im not mistaken the roll goes something like this:
    Roll For hit(hit), roll for crit(non crit) Roll for damage (X damage applied too charter defiance),Roll for mitigation(if Blocking) X damage reduced too X, Roll ageist damage type(spell or melee) X damage reduced by X, now X damage reduces X shield by X amount, now damage applied too health(revived damage)

and either way its damage mitigation in some way shape or form, my shield can go up 400 points, so even if it did roll the way you think it rolls -400 damage from a 1700 attack is 1300 damage and is then reduced even more by my other defiance's
    Edited by alexj4596b14_ESO on May 15, 2014 5:30PM
  • kristiannyman88b16_ESO

Diminishing Returns is really hurting aspects of builds . but i like your thinking outside the box from the rest of the end game meta players. High Stam and zero in health for Attributes. makes for some serious sustained Damage mitigation. what did you glyph your armor with ? all health or magica? finding my biggest problem is enough magica for large trash pulls to keep running debuffs and CC. i wont even use talons volcanic rune with mage guild passives seems far more cost effective and works better to stop ranged form their spamming fire and lightning pits

Thanks, yeah the thought behind my setup is to get as high mitigations as possible while still having enough Health.

I use the following skills when I grind dungeons:

1: Ransack
    2: Burning Talons
    3: Varies, usally Burning Embers or Deep Breath
    4: Green Dragon Blood
    5: Razor Armor

Ulti: Standard of Might

Talons are really good when AoEing.

Froobert wrote: »

How'd you get so much Health? With 0 Health Attributes...

It's all about gear and racials. Boon helps too.

Gear:
    Head: 134 Health, 245 Armor (Infused 14%)
    Shoulder: 47 Health, 261 Armor (Impenetrable, 90 resistance to crits) 3/3 Torug's Pact (100 Armor)
    Gloves: 47 Health, 147 Armor 4/5 Ebon set
    Legs: 117 Health, 257 Armor 4/5 Ebon set
    Curiass: 117 Health, 295 Armor 4/5 Ebon set
    Wasit: 54 Health, 112 Armor (Infused 17%) 3/3 Torug's Pact (100 Armor)
    Boots: 47 Health, 258 Armor 4/5 Ebon set
    Neck: 14 Stam Recovery, 66 max stam
    Ring: 15 Stam Recovery, 70 max stam
    Ring: 234 Spell Resistance, 65 max Health
    Waepon: Defending trait 5% (increased armor and spell resistance)
    Shield: 148 Health, 177 Armor (Infused 17%) 3/3 Torug's Pact (100 Armor)

Ebon Set Bonus:
    3: Adds 166 Max Health
    4: Adds 10 Healing Taken
    -5: Increases you group's max health by 100.

Racials:
    Tough III: Increases Max Health by 12%
    Conditioning III: Increases Max Stamina by 10%

Mundus Stone:
    The Lord (100 Max Health)

Attributes:
    Magicka: 9
    Health: 0
    Stamina: 40

Stats: (With only Boon: The Lord and Spirit Armor (5% Max Armor))
    Max Magicka: 1260
    Max Health: 2577
    Max Stamina: 1876

Spell Resistance: 1887
    Armor: 2127

Magicka Recovery: 59
    Health Recovery: 44
    Stamina Recovery: 83

There's still alot that can be improved aswell. But with the current content it's not really needed. I got the cheap enchants on everything except my shield. Facerolling all V10 dungeons in less than 15min with my usall team.
    I can pretty much selfheal through most bosses if I just pay attention.

Ohh yeah when we're speeding through dungeons I use epic food aswell that gives 257 max Magicka, Health and Stamina. (higher dps)

Edited by kristiannyman88b16_ESO on May 15, 2014 7:29PM
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO and you dont get it, the shield dont account for you armor or block, you take a 100% pure damage hit on any shield before your block or armor or spell ress comes into play its, damage mitigation > Shield > Block > Armor/spell resistance in that order.

the stupid thing here is that if you block and the shield takes the full hit you still loose stamina for blocking an attack even tho the block mitigation wont affect the Shield.

i have never had this happen, ever, if im blocking a incoming attack, say a charged attack, and i pop my shield, and proceed too block, i revive no damage at all the boss never touches my health ever, i never run out of stamina, or magic for that matter so either way dose not mater too me.

Roll For hit(hit), roll for crit(non crit) Roll for damage (X damage applied too charter defiance),Roll for mitigation(if Blocking) X damage reduced too X, Roll ageist damage type(spell or melee) X damage reduced by X, now X damage reduces X shield by X amount, now damage applied too health(revived damage)

and either way its damage mitigation in some way shape or form, my shield can go up 400 points, so even if it did roll the way you think it rolls -400 damage from a 1700 attack is 1300 damage and is then reduced even more by my other defiance's

its been test multiple times, that even if you block and have 70% block reduction it wont apply to any shields the same goes for you Armor and Spell resistance, only abilities like Mistform, Standard of might and other abilities that have an active damage mitigation saying it will reduce incoming damage with an x% amount will also effect your shields.

blocking is allways after shields but you still get the stamina hit from blocking even if the shield takes all the damage.

so yes if you have a 400 point shield on you and you get hit for 1700 the shield takes the 400 so you only get hit from 1300 damage even if you hold block up (and blocking while you have a shield on you will only let you loose stamina per hit stamina you could use for something else)

the effective health from shields is allmost useless and not worth the mana cost for anyone healer or tank or support, the only time you want to use shields is when you want to negate a oneshot mechanic...
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

its been test multiple times, that even if you block and have 70% block reduction it wont apply to any shields the same goes for you Armor and Spell resistance, only abilities like Mistform, Standard of might and other abilities that have an active damage mitigation saying it will reduce incoming damage with an x% amount will also effect your shields.

blocking is allways after shields but you still get the stamina hit from blocking even if the shield takes all the damage.

so yes if you have a 400 point shield on you and you get hit for 1700 the shield takes the 400 so you only get hit from 1300 damage even if you hold block up (and blocking while you have a shield on you will only let you loose stamina per hit stamina you could use for something else)

the effective health from shields is allmost useless and not worth the mana cost for anyone healer or tank or support, the only time you want to use shields is when you want to negate a oneshot mechanic...

Ok now i that i have payed more attention too what you were saying, i see what your talking about with the shields, BUT that works out vary well for scroc in the long ruin, we use light amour for tanking SO, it lowers mobs hit damage value too be lower then our amour value which is what is allowing us too take so little damage when in fight when the big hits are happening, so after al the reductions in magic use and recover its worth it, my shield costs 292 magic too cast i have almost 1800 which is not as high as it can go, so for a scroc in light amour it works at vary well, also i almost never use stamina abilitys
    Edited by alexj4596b14_ESO on May 16, 2014 4:29PM