The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

WHich traits are better for tanking?

• alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    infused gets you 20% at legendary and armor 8% and the crit res gives you 100.

also have any of you seen a boss crit yet? i havent so crit resist are for PvP... imo.

and to Kristiannyman88b16_ESO those stats are inflated. you got 500+ hp from PvP. plz take away your PvP stats to give players a real picture! ok? thx!!!

Npc's Crit after lasts nights test vet run they do, and allot of the time for more then 2k

Trash mobs or bosses? if the bosses crit then yea we should get some or if not all our armor geared up with crit res.

but then again, the only boss i know that hit me for a godly amount hits me for 1875 fire damage, and it never did crit on me. (i am a vamp tank)

so is it normal attacks that can crit or is it also there special attack? again the bosses. i havent seen it a crit yet from any of there speciel attacks and those are the attacks that really hurts.

I don't a have a steen pic but it went something like this:
    ^ that was not a special move and I have no crit hit reduction on any of my gear.

So the plan is too do all crit reduction as trait, drop health regin from my jewelry and add 580 spell resit for two rings( each ring is 580=1160spell resit total), and keep a few spical resit like fire with me if I were too need them, and run magic regin ring normally. If run health on my amour, magic food. Should make so I don't run out of magic easily. I don't use stamina much cept for blocking.

I will not be able too test it again tell I buy a new power supply for my computer it cought fire last night.... -_-
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    ok iv never seen a boss do that to me :) and i dont have any crit res gear on,
    im still torn a little over what i should go, full enchantment, on hp will give me 140 ish more health, but 8% exra total armor is probaly better. for legendary gear that is.

on a side note you dont need more then 2 jewelery pieces with 580 spell res. you should be around 45% SC, if not on hardcap i think the math say it is 2800 for hardcap but i could be wrong,

and the reduce block cost jewelery is really nice to have. so if you can live with one SC jewelery you could slot 2 block cost reduction jewelery on. :)
  • yake82
    yake82
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the one time when Roost Mother hit me 1800hp hit. I had max 1700 hp...

For me its always Impenetrable, always...
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Impen is very important if you plan to survive the hardest VR dungeon bosses in the game, and not be turned into ash piles.

They do crit hard and often. Especially the final boss of elden hollow.
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • Fersaken
    Fersaken
    ✭✭
    This is pretty much how I went, keep in mind this is with very little hard number testing, but it has been done with some physical testing.

What I run is Impenetrable on every piece. I used to not thinking that other traits might help with aggro to a degree. And used to die a lot more than I do now.

Honestly what you should do is wear 2 pieces of light armor for the spell resist, reason being if you are in full heavy you will be well over the soft cap on armor. So take 2 pieces of heavy and use 2 piece of light, this will cap you on spell resist @ vr10. For rings use something like this 1 - reduces the stam cost of ability + max health, and 1 reduces the magic cost of abilities + max health. With the mana regen from the 2 piece light and the reduce cost you won't run out of mana unless you spam abilities.

Pretty much what you are trying to do as a tank is reach the sot caps or armor, health recovery, and spell resists. Once you do that worry about other stats.

But to answer your orginal question, go impen. If you don't trust what I am saying do a simple test ( this is where I noticed it the most ) the last boss of Fungal gHrotto has a ranged attack that is fairly nasty.

Pull her in armor that doesn't have impen on it. Eventually she will crit and one shot you with you having about 2300 - 2500 health. With Impen. this won't ever happen.

My 2 cents.
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Fersaken wrote: »
    This is pretty much how I went, keep in mind this is with very little hard number testing, but it has been done with some physical testing.

What I run is Impenetrable on every piece. I used to not thinking that other traits might help with aggro to a degree. And used to die a lot more than I do now.

Honestly what you should do is wear 2 pieces of light armor for the spell resist, reason being if you are in full heavy you will be well over the soft cap on armor. So take 2 pieces of heavy and use 2 piece of light, this will cap you on spell resist @ vr10. For rings use something like this 1 - reduces the stam cost of ability + max health, and 1 reduces the magic cost of abilities + max health. With the mana regen from the 2 piece light and the reduce cost you won't run out of mana unless you spam abilities.

Pretty much what you are trying to do as a tank is reach the sot caps or armor, health recovery, and spell resists. Once you do that worry about other stats.

But to answer your orginal question, go impen. If you don't trust what I am saying do a simple test ( this is where I noticed it the most ) the last boss of Fungal gHrotto has a ranged attack that is fairly nasty.

Pull her in armor that doesn't have impen on it. Eventually she will crit and one shot you with you having about 2300 - 2500 health. With Impen. this won't ever happen.

My 2 cents.

If you achieve a balance betwen stamina and magic, food will help augment the stamina and health problems esp high lvl food. I'm going with two spell resit rings and magic regin as I'm a scorc and I use my shields too augment when I don't have stamina. Also I can heal myself through attacking with a Specific Combo I noticed the other day!
    Edited by alexj4596b14_ESO on May 12, 2014 6:13PM
  • Fersaken
    Fersaken
    ✭✭
    I honestly think dk tanks will reign supreme.

I mean it is insane the amount of damage we can shell out on ranged fights. I prefer not to go in detail. But yeah.
  • bean19
    bean19
    ✭✭✭
    If you are bothering to min/max, work on your DPS as a tank. Just by wearing 5 pieces of heavy armor and a shield, you will likely hit the soft-cap on armor which is about 30% damage reduction (which of course is "meh" in the world of MMO-tanking). This is why the job of a "tank" in ESO is so different from other games. Basically, you are a dps whose job it is to take boss hits when they can't otherwise be avoided, and they OFTEN can by: interrupting (your job as your 5th ability in sword-and-board is the best interrupt in the game), kiting and range attacking (dps needs to snare if the boss can be snared and you should run from it), staying out of "fire" (ground AoE), and killing adds. These are all your job as much as the other DPS with the one caveat that you MAY need to eat the occasional big hit from the boss.

Too often, I see tanks in ESO frantically using their taunt on the boss and all the adds to get all the hate at once and then see them just stand still and cower under their shield (or worse, they deal white damage to the boss instead of blocking). This is so wrong! You are going to be a DPS that is all about crowd control and putting the hurt on mobs 85% of the time. You can't and shouldn't hold all the hate. You also shouldn't try to stack your tank stats to be able to do this as it will just make you weak at your actual intended role as an add-killing, trash-stomping, crowd-controlling mofo who happens to taunt and block every now and again in boss fights to better eat a heaping helping of mega-hit.

If you're truly awesome, then you'll learn the boss fights well enough to expect the big hit and use your DK tank ultimate (or at least your class armor-boosting ability if your ultimate isn't up or you aren't a DK) before taking the big hit and/or you'll anticipate it and buff against it with your resto-staff alternate weapon and buff for it before switching back to sword and board to block it. As a guy who heals a lot of dungeons, a truly good tank in ESO who has already adapted to this new style of tank gameplay is a godsend. You guys who think you need to chase around the group of mobs I'm kiting after having snared them and then peal them off to then have them chase you while you aren't blocking necessitating me casting more and more heals instead of just killing the mobs. . . well, you know, there is a learning curve and I certainly can't type all this in-game, and many of you might be offended by it.

TL;DR - Tanking in ESO is more about using the right skills for crowd control and dealing damage than it is about holding aggro and mitigating damage via gear stats. If you're tanking as you do in other MMOs, then min/max of your gear is going to disappoint you.

• alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think dk tanks will reign supreme.

I mean it is insane the amount of damage we can shell out on ranged fights. I prefer not to go in detail. But yeah.

Allot of people who are doing scorc tanks are not doing it well and are using the wrong skill combination. Scorc tanks have allot of synergies that do tons of damage, we also have the ability too negate all magic in a cast area. Scorc tanks have allot of utility ability, we don't relily on on stamina as much as most tanks, because of our shilled, with the buff too light amour ability is only going too improve that, heavy amour is going too be buffed for ult's which will allow for even more use of those abilitys. We also have three ability bars which can cause us too do damage more so with ult's
    Edited by alexj4596b14_ESO on May 12, 2014 6:42PM
  • Fersaken
    Fersaken
    ✭✭
    I don't think scorc tanks are bad I just think in the world of min / maxinf dk tanks will reign supreme.
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    bean19 wrote: »
    If you are bothering to min/max, work on your DPS as a tank. Just by wearing 5 pieces of heavy armor and a shield, you will likely hit the soft-cap on armor which is about 30% damage reduction (which of course is "meh" in the world of MMO-tanking). This is why the job of a "tank" in ESO is so different from other games. Basically, you are a dps whose job it is to take boss hits when they can't otherwise be avoided, and they OFTEN can by: interrupting (your job as your 5th ability in sword-and-board is the best interrupt in the game), kiting and range attacking (dps needs to snare if the boss can be snared and you should run from it), staying out of "fire" (ground AoE), and killing adds. These are all your job as much as the other DPS with the one caveat that you MAY need to eat the occasional big hit from the boss.

Too often, I see tanks in ESO frantically using their taunt on the boss and all the adds to get all the hate at once and then see them just stand still and cower under their shield (or worse, they deal white damage to the boss instead of blocking). This is so wrong! You are going to be a DPS that is all about crowd control and putting the hurt on mobs 85% of the time. You can't and shouldn't hold all the hate. You also shouldn't try to stack your tank stats to be able to do this as it will just make you weak at your actual intended role as an add-killing, trash-stomping, crowd-controlling mofo who happens to taunt and block every now and again in boss fights to better eat a heaping helping of mega-hit.

If you're truly awesome, then you'll learn the boss fights well enough to expect the big hit and use your DK tank ultimate (or at least your class armor-boosting ability if your ultimate isn't up or you aren't a DK) before taking the big hit and/or you'll anticipate it and buff against it with your resto-staff alternate weapon and buff for it before switching back to sword and board to block it. As a guy who heals a lot of dungeons, a truly good tank in ESO who has already adapted to this new style of tank gameplay is a godsend. You guys who think you need to chase around the group of mobs I'm kiting after having snared them and then peal them off to then have them chase you while you aren't blocking necessitating me casting more and more heals instead of just killing the mobs. . . well, you know, there is a learning curve and I certainly can't type all this in-game, and many of you might be offended by it.

TL;DR - Tanking in ESO is more about using the right skills for crowd control and dealing damage than it is about holding aggro and mitigating damage via gear stats. If you're tanking as you do in other MMOs, then min/max of your gear is going to disappoint you.

Agreed, volcanic run is lovely, lighting flood and one inner fire taunt is so nice(for the synergey) I have been testing using the other weapon slot for resto staff but in vet dungeons I don't see it happening however I'm only vet 3 almost 4 I will test this again as I keep hearing that they are vary easy once you get too the right lvl for them. Also carrying a destro staff with me at all times helps as well. With my class I have 3 bars and as soon as craghorn comes out I will have about 40% reduction in ult cost which will allow for a huge buff in damage :)
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think scorc tanks are bad I just think in the world of min / maxinf dk tanks will reign supreme.

This may be true I have not looked at there tanking tree yet! But I have a odd play style anyway!
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    im going to ask again have any of you seen a boss crit with any of there channel or heavy or red attacks, you know the ones you cant interupt? for i havent and i dont think they can crit with those abilities. and i have never been hit for 1800 or even 1000 or even 500 from a normal white attack when im fighting bosses.
    As i said the biggest hit that ever came in on me is Bogdan the nightflame last boss in Elden Hollow, and he hits me for 1870 damage each time he makes he's breath attack on me and it never crits.
    So again have any of you seen a boss in Veteran dungeons crit hit with there special attacks? white damage is not the problem and have never been a problem but if an attack like the flame attack Bogdan the nightflame does can crit then i can understand why you would want to use crit res traits on your gear...

PS vamp tank here VR 10 dk
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    im going to ask again have any of you seen a boss crit with any of there channel or heavy or red attacks, you know the ones you cant interupt? for i havent and i dont think they can crit with those abilities. and i have never been hit for 1800 or even 1000 or even 500 from a normal white attack when im fighting bosses.
    As i said the biggest hit that ever came in on me is Bogdan the nightflame last boss in Elden Hollow, and he hits me for 1870 damage each time he makes he's breath attack on me and it never crits.
    So again have any of you seen a boss in Veteran dungeons crit hit with there special attacks? white damage is not the problem and have never been a problem but if an attack like the flame attack Bogdan the nightflame does can crit then i can understand why you would want to use crit res traits on your gear...

PS vamp tank here VR 10 dk

I will do more testing on this, howerver i know there white damage dose crit last night Fg combat was like 488 488 488 318 1700 all white damage can someone else confirm?
  • kristiannyman88b16_ESO
    Regarding Bogdan, he always does the same dmg on the Breath attack. It's based on your armor aswell so not sure if it counts as physical or fire attack.
    I take alot lower damage when I have Razor Armor up.
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    well i have 2097 armor with no buffs and with razor armor i have 2389 so i find it really pointless to keep it up on me. i should get 1250 more armor. but i only gain 292 armor, that in my book is hardcap hit or so close to it that i dont even want to stack it. sofcap should only take half so i should gain 625 more armor but it takes more then 75% of my armor buff!

i also have 2111 spell resistance with no buffs on. again more or less point less to stack it up more. i still think il got for one more 580 spell resistance ring but i dont think i need it.

and Bogdan hits is a melee hit but fire, so vamps take 50% more damage then none vamp tanks ;O and if bosss can crit with there special attacks vamps tanks would have a huge problem.
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    well i have 2097 armor with no buffs and with razor armor i have 2389 so i find it really pointless to keep it up on me. i should get 1250 more armor. but i only gain 292 armor, that in my book is hardcap hit or so close to it that i dont even want to stack it. sofcap should only take half so i should gain 625 more armor but it takes more then 75% of my armor buff!

i also have 2111 spell resistance with no buffs on. again more or less point less to stack it up more. i still think il got for one more 580 spell resistance ring but i dont think i need it.

and Bogdan hits is a melee hit but fire, so vamps take 50% more damage then none vamp tanks ;O and if bosss can crit with there special attacks vamps tanks would have a huge problem.

you must be a DK tank, i dont see any other way too cap your spell and amour out that much without using enchants
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    DK's dont get anything to armor we do get 250 spell resistance but so do the templars!

anyway i do use one ring with 580 spell resistance on it, and im thinking of going 2 rings with 580 spell resistance on them. but i think the last ring will be overkill. anyway back to topic.

if the bosses can crit on there speciel attack the best tanking trait have to be Impenetrable.
    if the bosses can't crit on there speciel attack, well then it's a matter of Reinforced or infused, more Health or more Armor.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I was looking at BEST healer stuff and healers got it good. LIGHT ARMOR that increases your healing potention+Mundus Stone increase in healing potential+Gear increasing Mundus Stones potential increasing healing potential.

I DONT think this gets a cap it doesn't even show on the character sheet.

I DONT think Tanks and DPS get this kind of potential....

I guess hard cap Health and then go for armor. More health is going to be better as armor is soft cap to hard cap difference is very minimal.
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    DK's dont get anything to armor we do get 250 spell resistance but so do the templars!

anyway i do use one ring with 580 spell resistance on it, and im thinking of going 2 rings with 580 spell resistance on them. but i think the last ring will be overkill. anyway back to topic.

if the bosses can crit on there speciel attack the best tanking trait have to be Impenetrable.
    if the bosses can't crit on there speciel attack, well then it's a matter of Reinforced or infused, more Health or more Armor.

if they crit you for 1700 like they were doing me, with no spical attacks then you need it regardless, crits are a DIRECT hit too Health and Shields
  • Halrloprillalar
    Halrloprillalar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impenetrable, because you can't get it in any other way
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    and i tell you i have never seen a 1700 crit on me, hell not even a 500 crit on me from white attacks.
    and shields are pointless to use for they dont benefit from your own spell resistance or armor or even block.
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and to Kristiannyman88b16_ESO those stats are inflated. you got 500+ hp from PvP. plz take away your PvP stats to give players a real picture! ok? thx!!!

Here you go, screenshot without any PvP buffs. I tried to remove the Spirit Armor but it's not possible. The PvP one gave me about 181 Health due to diminishing return. Not 500 :)

I switched from Mage (100 Magicka) to Lord (100 Health) boon now aswell.

stats_zps3dd2d8f4.png
    Diminishing Returns is really hurting aspects of builds . but i like your thinking outside the box from the rest of the end game meta players. High Stam and zero in health for Attributes. makes for some serious sustained Damage mitigation. what did you glyph your armor with ? all health or magica? finding my biggest problem is enough magica for large trash pulls to keep running debuffs and CC. i wont even use talons volcanic rune with mage guild passives seems far more cost effective and works better to stop ranged form their spamming fire and lightning pits
  • Froobert
    Froobert
    ✭✭✭

Here you go, screenshot without any PvP buffs. I tried to remove the Spirit Armor but it's not possible. The PvP one gave me about 181 Health due to diminishing return. Not 500 :)

stats_zps3dd2d8f4.png

How'd you get so much Health? With 0 Health Attributes...
    Froobert the Tank
    When In doubt, Bash it out! :)

"Member of Noore"

• alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    and i tell you i have never seen a 1700 crit on me, hell not even a 500 crit on me from white attacks.
    and shields are pointless to use for they dont benefit from your own spell resistance or armor or even block.

Shields= Extra Health, i can fill more the half my health with shields, so when that 1700 hit, dose hit me, meh moot point has note even touched my health bar lol
    Edited by alexj4596b14_ESO on May 15, 2014 2:15PM
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

stats_zps3dd2d8f4.png
    Diminishing Returns is really hurting aspects of builds . but i like your thinking outside the box from the rest of the end game meta players. High Stam and zero in health for Attributes. makes for some serious sustained Damage mitigation. what did you glyph your armor with ? all health or magica? finding my biggest problem is enough magica for large trash pulls to keep running debuffs and CC. i wont even use talons volcanic rune with mage guild passives seems far more cost effective and works better to stop ranged form their spamming fire and lightning pits

If your a DK tank you need too stack stam or health on gear and then run mage stone, with divines on atlest 4 then have a magic food!
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

stats_zps3dd2d8f4.png

If your a DK tank you need too stack stam or health on gear and then run mage stone, with divines on atlest 4 then have a magic food!
    i like it ill try it on my next torugs set . Ill dump the couple of crit resist for Divines TY for the advice. really have not run into any problems in VR dungeons aside from that Damn titan in Elden hollow

Edited by Wifeaggro13 on May 15, 2014 2:24PM
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    to alexj4596b14_ESO yea its more health but its not worth the effective health you think it is.
    If you have 1700 shield on you and a boss hits you for 1700 you loose the 1700 shield.
    if a boss hit for 1700 you have block and armor reduction to factor in. resulting in much more effective hp then a shield would ever give you. and if you look at the mana cost of a shield over a heal, you will then begin to see that shields are worth nothing compared to a heal.
    the only time you should ever use a shield is if you would get oneshoot from something.

To Wifeaggro13, why would you stack Divines on anything as a DK? or any other class?

Divines give you what 8% with legendary items? 8% of 100 (Mage 100 mana) = 8 mana? or am i missing something here?

infused give you 20% on legendary and a white health glyph rank 10 give you 117 health on Shield, Head, Chest, Legs! 20% of 117 = 23,4 health.

infused give you 20% on legendary and a white health glyph rank 10 give you 47 health on Shoulders, Gloves, Belt, Feets! 20% of 47 = 9.4 health.

what you should do to max out your stats is to get Health enchantment on everythingthing that have infused trait on. that will give you the max amount of stats. and then go 49 attributes in either stamina or mana.

• alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    to alexj4596b14_ESO yea its more health but its not worth the effective health you think it is.
    If you have 1700 shield on you and a boss hits you for 1700 you loose the 1700 shield.
    if a boss hit for 1700 you have block and armor reduction to factor in. resulting in much more effective hp then a shield would ever give you. and if you look at the mana cost of a shield over a heal, you will then begin to see that shields are worth nothing compared to a heal.
    the only time you should ever use a shield is if you would get oneshoot from something.

When did i ever say i didn't run sword and Bored? If im blocking While Shielded=no life lost at all....

i am testing the divines set up now, will report back and change too all infused and see if i see a difference
  • Xanxarib16_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO and you dont get it, the shield dont account for you armor or block, you take a 100% pure damage hit on any shield before your block or armor or spell ress comes into play its, damage mitigation > Shield > Block > Armor/spell resistance in that order.

the stupid thing here is that if you block and the shield takes the full hit you still loose stamina for blocking an attack even tho the block mitigation wont affect the Shield.