The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why IMO vet mode is dung

hamon
hamon
✭✭✭✭✭
first of all i love the game. Tho my love affair is being tarnished by the day. It's being spoilt by vet mode. The whole notion of it irks me. Firstly I tried out the 3 factions and decided the zones and story i want to play. (EP) i enjoyed daggerfall on an alt up to rivenspire. but hated the zone layouts and other things about dominion zones (only played up to 3rd zone all the same look and feel)

So i get my char to 50 and i,m feeling good about it.. then it dawns on me ive got to do the daggerfall campaign in its entirety to get to vet 5-6 I'm not too pissed cos i was enjoying it on my alt. but that means ive got to play dominion to get to vet 10 the zones i dislike the most at the worst possible time.. No choice to do them before daggerfall . first lame thing about vet mode.
Thern i notice stuff like no xp from chests, the xp you get from kills is pityfull in terms of how much you need to gain vet levels. the mobs are all tuned up far too much for random trash. the dungeons are all tuned up to be horrific, So i find myself trying to avoid combat as much as possible rather than kill stuff in my way , this is due to every engagment of 2 or 3 mobs and its a full magika and stam bar and i usually barely survive. so i have to wait to regen just to move on and it gets boring spamming a full rotation of moves 4 or 5 times on EVERY single fight. i'm skipping dialogue which i never used to cos i,m not really wanting to listen to all the daggerfall/dominion stuff unless i,m actually choosing to play that pact.

so basically 2 thirds of the game content is like someone changing the setting from normal to extreme against your will or at least without you choosing it to be so and making you do the 2 factions content you regected initially in that extreme mode.
i would have been better picking my least favourite faction and playing that to 50 to get it out the way first had i known this at the outset.

i,m all for OFFERING players the choice to have elite dungeons etc. for those who play in guilds with teamspeak etc to enjoy doing. I have no problem with games i buy having legendary difficulty settings etc, i just dont like my game being cranked up to a level where i can progress , but it all feels like a chore. Not relaxing or fun
  • Zazar
    Zazar
    ✭✭
    Just another thread about veteran levels. Please une search function and share your feedback on an already opened thread.

Enjoy the game, take your time, accept the challenge.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So tell me, since I'm not half-way yet, the reason you HAVE to level VR levels is what?
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm kinda in the same boat. I played DC during beta, and after release I picked EP. I was expecting something a bit more creative from the developers other then sending us to DC zones. If I wanted to quest there I would create a character for that alliance.
    I bought into this game with an open mind. I am doing my best to keep faith in ZOS, but I'm afraid that is slipping. Don't get me wrong.... I enjoy the game, but I don't enjoy what is presented as VR content.
    Edited by Ulvich on May 6, 2014 12:34PM
    Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    So tell me, since I'm not half-way yet, the reason you HAVE to level VR levels is what?

well simply that being lvl 50 isnt max level is it.. its a myth in terms getting to max level. thats like saying i think i,ll keep my character at lvl 22 , i did initially think lvl 50 was lvl cap and vet was just a sort of extra thing that you could work on while doing other stuff. however its not the case in terms of power vet 10 is like being lvl 50 versus being lvl 5 just check out pvp if you need evidence of that.

if vet mode was just a bit of a buff over being lvl 50 i would possible just go back to my alts. but its not its pretty much where the true level cap is. they would have been more honest just saying level cap is 150 and you might as well not bother picking your faction till the end cos your doing them all to get there.

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah okay, as you say, I had got the impression it was kind of like a game like FFXI where once you'd hit the level cap you can continue 'progressing' by grinding points to spend on more character skills but they were only incrementally better than not having them whereas here it sounds like VR10 is a must-have going forward even if I don't want to do 'end-game'.

It's worrying that VR10 is likely going to be the launching point for the first expansion if the VR levels are so painful.

Thanks.
    Edited by KerinKor on May 6, 2014 12:19PM
  • Azarul
    Azarul
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no problems at all with the difficulty level or time it takes to go v1-10, however it is a little heartbreaking to know there will be no new quests or stories for my alts of other factions.
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah okay, as you say, I had got the impression it was kind of like a game like FFXI where once you'd hit the level cap you can continue 'progressing' by grinding points to spend on more character skills but they were only incrementally better than not having them whereas here it sounds like VR10 is a must-have going forward even if I don't want to do 'end-game'.

It's worrying that VR10 is likely going to be the launching point for the first expansion if the VR levels are so painful.

Thanks.

it is eaxtly that lvl 60 with the added insult that everything is made much harder and you have to do 2 thirds more content to get there than you did to get to 50.
    i would possibly be ok with it if they just called it lvl 60 or 100 or whatever and keep the mobs and dungeons at the same difficulty as they were. just scale them up the way they did from starters to coldharbour , not try to slow it all down by ramping up the hardness and cutting the xp and trying make us think its cos we're "vets " now

Edited by hamon on May 6, 2014 12:24PM
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    hamon wrote: »

Thanks.

it is eaxtly that lvl 60 with the added insult that everything is made much harder and you have to do 2 thirds more content to get there than you did to get to 50

You forgot to add that there's almost no character progression on top of it and doing dungeons is pointless till VR5.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

it is eaxtly that lvl 60 with the added insult that everything is made much harder and you have to do 2 thirds more content to get there than you did to get to 50

and the true issue comes out. I was ready to drop the game until I started on vet content. The increase in difficulty really got me into the game.
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laura wrote: »

Thanks.

and the true issue comes out. I was ready to drop the game until I started on vet content. The increase in difficulty really got me into the game.

not the true issue one of the issues. i,m ok with some hard content on offer. not every single mob for 2 thirds of the game being a pain in the ass tho. I dont mind when meeting an elite i have to work out how to kill it etc.. however theres nothing satisfying about random groups of mobs being given more hp so instead of spamming a rotation 3 times to kill them i have to spam it 5 times to kill them. does that make you feel like a veteran? its just making you press the same buttons more times. and slowing you down artificially... if that what makes you feel uber then fine .. but i,m not drinking the cool-ade

Edited by hamon on May 6, 2014 12:32PM
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

Because taking minutes to kill a mob pack and then 'rest' to recover is fun?

Edited by KerinKor on May 6, 2014 12:32PM
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

exactly thats not what i call difficulty its what i call tedium , difficulty isnt just making trash packs a pain in the ass , its not like you learn anything new from killing the same trash packs only slower , and i know what i see, i see a huge increase in folk actively taking risks all over the place simply to AVOID as much combat as possible. because its tedious. the trash packs are slow and grindy and give so little xp its much better to avoid them if you can... so thats what being a veteran seems to be teaching us,, fighting is boring try not to do it unless you have to
    Edited by hamon on May 6, 2014 12:39PM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the search button before starting another pointless whine thread.
    Also:
    http://elderscrollsonline.com/en-uk/news/post/2014/05/01/the-road-ahead---may-1?ref=home

enjoy
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    Use the search button before starting another pointless whine thread.
    Also:
    http://elderscrollsonline.com/en-uk/news/post/2014/05/01/the-road-ahead---may-1?ref=home

enjoy

you could say every thread was pointless and whiney. so should we only discuss things you agree with?

Edited by ZOS_LenaicR on May 6, 2014 1:11PM
  • nirax
    nirax
    they pointed out that they felt like reusing the existing factions to finalize your leveling was a brilliant idea. when i read that i had to instantly think of bioware defending the da2 area reusal.
    in this case it breaks any immersion (makes. really. no. sense. to kill now the faction you grew attached to) and is just lazy design.
    Nirax TC of [Buka]
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭

I currently "grind" the first 3 Vet dungeons, since i also refuse to play in "Elf Land" as dagger-fall, since otherwise i would just play Wildstar.

I don't enjoy the quest's anymore, since i don't enjoy the faction and look.

So why do i "grind" vet xp at all, if its so terrible u ask? Simple, i like the vet dungeon challenge and also want to play the new "raid zone", i cant join for the next 3 dungeons until i'm Vet6 and i probably will not be accepted for "trials" if i'm Vet1-4, since the devs noted its balanced against Vet10 players.

To make this clear, u don't get the option to queue for the next 3 vet dungeons until u are Vet6.

So basically to experience the current and new ESO raid/dungeon's i'm forced to do:

1) Grind quest solo, like i did from 1-50 in a faction i don't like and with quest structures i'm familiar with. *borring*

2) Grind normal zone/public dungeon mobs for xp. *borring*

3) Grind the first 3 vet dungeons for xp. This was the most interesting to me and i did most of the achievements, but after u have finished BC/Spindle/Fungal like 60 times its also borring.

4) Play PvP. Probably the most interesting, but i'm not yet this into PvP so while i tried it and had quite some fun, i'm not "yet" this into it. They also just announced to double the xp gain, since its really slow compared to the other options i listed.

So 3 out of 4 options, require boring grind in some form, at least from my personal perspective. This is really sad, since i really enjoyed my first 10-15 runs in the first 3 dungeons.
    Edited by Andy22 on May 6, 2014 12:58PM
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

coz of course no one read it as it took away most reasons for their whines.
    Craglorn is V1+
  • nirax
    nirax
    @Andy22‌
    thats a good work around, unfortunately you miss the skyshards and quest skillpoints if you dont play VR through the other factions.
    depending on your ingame goal, this may be acceptable, but a lot of folks trying to get competitive in endgame (with all options additional skillpoints give) feel naturally forced to play through factions they dont enjoy.
    Nirax TC of [Buka]
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Craglorn is V1+

yes and thats the answer , graglorn one zone which will be tuned to lvl 10 which you can grind for 150000000 xp to get from vet one to 10 as an option to doing the other factions? I would have less of an issue with doing the other factions if they wouldnt make them so slow and grindy by artificially making every trash mob a pain in the ass . honestly i,m learning nothing by having to kill trash slower than i did before .. hell if anything i,m just becoming less carefull due to boredom and just seeking ways to kill things faster , not better safer or more clever.. thats not veteran play its just a reaction to being irate at the pacing of combat in vet mode.

• wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

I'm guessing that most players don't feel the way you do about that. They will be dropping like flies in the VR ranks. ZOS devs are probably hoping that they don't get to VR ranks before paying a few months of subscriptions.
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭

Craglorn is V1+

Maybe u take your own advice than.
    I did specifically speak about "trials" and they stated in other interviews that while unlike now, it will be technically possible to "queue" those as Vet1, they also noted they are balanced against Vet10.

Yeah so next time, don't jump to conclusions so fast and keep your "all whiners" blanket statement.
    nirax wrote: »
    @Andy22‌
    thats a good work around, unfortunately you miss the skyshards and quest skillpoints if you dont play VR through the other factions.
    depending on your ingame goal, this may be acceptable, but a lot of folks trying to get competitive in endgame (with all options additional skillpoints give) feel naturally forced to play through factions they dont enjoy.

I know, thats why i might also be "forced" to play at least the required "main" story.

PS: The funny part is that if it would be Ebonheart Pact instead of "Elf Land" i probably would not complaint this much, since i did at least like the first zones i played in beta there.
    Edited by Andy22 on May 6, 2014 1:07PM
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Andy22‌

very true if you opted to skip the other factions you would miss what maybe 50 skill points? thats just not viable.

• mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy22 wrote: »

Craglorn is V1+

Maybe u take your own advice than.
    I did specifically speak about "trials" and they stated in other interviews that while unlike now, it will be technically possible to "queue" those as Vet1, they also noted they are balanced against Vet10.

Yeah so next time, don't jump to conclusions so fast and keep your "all whiners" blanket statement.

The true whiner is never ever happy, right?
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Andy22‌

very true if you opted to skip the other factions you would miss what maybe 50 skill points? thats just not viable.

Not to mention gear even has vet rank requirements on it.

I realize mmos face an uphill battle when they launch, but ESO really has a long way to go. 150 levels of questing was a disastrous decision.
    Edited by Gohlar on May 6, 2014 1:08PM
  • Azarul
    Azarul
    ✭✭✭✭
    wrlifeboil wrote: »

Thanks.

I'm guessing that most players don't feel the way you do about that. They will be dropping like flies in the VR ranks. ZOS devs are probably hoping that they don't get to VR ranks before paying a few months of subscriptions.

Or maybe we will finally have a Dev with stones not willing to totally cater to bad players, forcing them to actually try and learn the game instead of being handed everything.

• drwoody44b14_ESO
    drwoody44b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Another "I'm not max level in 2 weeks, imma cry" thread...
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Azarul wrote: »
    wrlifeboil wrote: »

Thanks.

Or maybe we will finally have a Dev with stones not willing to totally cater to bad players, forcing them to actually try and learn the game instead of being handed everything.

ESO was literally made for the players you just described. This is a solo based theme park. I can't imagine anyone who's played the older, more difficult mmos ever saying this.

ESO's biggest problem is how boring it is, not how hard it is.

• Zakua
    Zakua
    ✭✭✭
    I am enjoying it.

Though I would really like an alternate option or options to just running all the quests. I like the quests, anchors, dungeons and world boss fights but I also enjoy setting up in a spot and laying waste to every mob I find. With the current Vet XP system you get a laughable amount of XP for killing trash...I'm not asking for 60k per wolf....but more then 42 would be sweet..

I guess just the fact that I know I have to run every single quest and POI on every single map is a little discouraging. Again though, I am having fun so far I just wish I could break away from one grind and find an alternate grind (that offered acceptable xp rewards) to mix things up.

I like the fact even the trash mobs are harder but their difficulty with respect to XP rewards is a joke. Maybe it wouldn't feel so tedious if you knew it was netting you a gain (more XP)?
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If it takes you minutes to kill groups of trash mobs in VR and the time you have to recover is noticeable maybe you should stop playing video games entirely.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Xithian
    Xithian
    ✭✭✭
    i,m all for OFFERING players the choice to have elite dungeons etc.

If you aren't interested in doing the other factions' content, and you aren't interested in doing the elite dungeons, why exactly do you feel you NEED to get the veteran ranks? Honest question.

Personally I enjoy the difficulty, but then I don't play glass cannons in RPGs.

I do agree that having to play all 3 factions content on one character is a very silly requirement. It may sound like a neat idea at first, but we have eight character slots for a reason. It's going to be a bit disappointing when I roll my first alt and realize I will have already done every quest that that alt will ever do. That really kills the replay value of alts to me.

On a completely random note, what language is your native language? I'm horribly confused as to the use of commas instead of apostrophes. I can't think of a way to accidentally do that.