Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Why no fireball?

MediusMajere
I'll just shamelessly post this without doing a search first. Why can't sorcs cast fireball?

It's thé iconic skill for casters in fantasy. And those weak staff attacks don't count as a fireball. No sane sorc uses the staff attacks if he still has magicka left.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably because the Templar has a fireball, and they want animations to be different for classes. I could have lived without the fireball, if the lightning shot from the sorcs hands, but that probably would violate StarWars IP.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because sorcs don't know any fire magic.
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    yes, one would expect variety of elemental powers for sorcerer (that is unless we follow class system from morrowind and other games and stick to the description of sorcerer premade to the letter). this is one of the reasons I cannot trully say that this game is a TES MMO. It has borrowed lore (butchered and abused though) but the game itself is
    more of a limit than a nature
    . hopefully, developers will see this mistake(to me it is a mistake) completely obliterate class system or at least give us option to borrow skill lines from other classes or at least certain abilities. personally, I can forgive imbalances for the sake of classical TES immersion. but yes, ESO made me want to play TES singleplayer installations even more
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surinen wrote: »
    yes, one would expect variety of elemental powers for sorcerer (that is unless we follow class system from morrowind and other games and stick to the description of sorcerer premade to the letter). this is one of the reasons I cannot trully say that this game is a TES MMO. It has borrowed lore (butchered and abused though) but the game itself is
    more of a limit than a nature
    . hopefully, developers will see this mistake(to me it is a mistake) completely obliterate class system or at least give us option to borrow skill lines from other classes or at least certain abilities. personally, I can forgive imbalances for the sake of classical TES immersion. but yes, ESO made me want to play TES singleplayer installations even more

Mate , how i wish they would drop this whole class thing , and allow us to pick any skill tree in any char we made.

That is what ES games are about.

Again they shoot in two directions with the whole ES , but also MMO thing.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    Mate , how i wish they would drop this whole class thing , and allow us to pick any skill tree in any char we made.

In-noble-deed! How can an infinite in his wisdom Thalmor like me play only with lightning (that is not even green like during cinematics, pi-ty!). What kind of master Wizard m I if I cannot reign with fire and rule with light. Where's illumination in it, where's purity?! I want to breathe fire and cause novas. I desire infernos and ash clouds.

true, TRUE

'hopes' lay with announced spellcrafting. it may deliver us a superiorly bred spells

• dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    dannymcgr81b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sent this in as feedback during the beta. Classes are too limiting. Just let us pick up to 3 skill lines.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In-noble-deed! How can an infinite in his wisdom Thalmor like me play only with lightning (that is not even green like during cinematics, pi-ty!). What kind of master Wizard m I if I cannot reign with fire and rule with light. Where's illumination in it, where's purity?! I want to breathe fire and cause novas. I desire infernos and ash clouds.

true, TRUE

'hopes' lay with announced spellcrafting. it may deliver us a superiorly bred spells

Finally i found someone that is bothered by this like im.

Why the sorcs lighting tree is not made of rays of green awesomeness?

Why just add another bland lighting tree when they have done so much more.
    I sent this in as feedback during the beta. Classes are too limiting. Just let us pick up to 3 skill lines.

I wish they listened to you , but honestly , why just 3? Why not allow players to access all the trees and pick the skills they wanted to pick?

Maybe the day where we will see a more open approach to this will eventually come , i hope it does.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭

Finally i found someone that is bothered by this like im.

Why the sorcs lighting tree is not made of rays of green awesomeness?

Why just add another bland lighting tree when they have done so much more.
    bothered? I feel almost abused by the restrictions. this game is like Mundus itself, unmake it we must! one oblivion of a prison where lightning is blue! so mundane!

yes! peridot sleeping within flames and lightning! I want it, I need it.

I'm not a fan of alts and I loathe idea of rolling with dragonknight just because I like fire and my second name is Pyromancer.

• KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought the concept of Dragonknight was really weird. Everyone looked to it as the flagship class as well as 'the tank', but with all the fire spells it just doesn't give off the soldier class vibe. It makes it stick out esp since there's no class with a frost line.
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they listened to you , but honestly , why just 3? Why not allow players to access all the trees and pick the skills they wanted to pick?

Maybe the day where we will see a more open approach to this will eventually come , i hope it does.

If I remember right, GW1 allowed dual classes. Everyone had Monk as one of their picks.

You'd see the emergence of 'must have' lines. More choices does mean more customization for you, but it can also lead to a bland community.
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    KenjiJU wrote: »
    If I remember right, GW1 allowed dual classes. Everyone had Monk as one of their picks.

You'd see the emergence of 'must have' lines. More choices does mean more customization for you, but it can also lead to a bland community.
    I would say that communities are bland from the beginning and free/choice system only allows them to express it. some people will always want the bulkiest of toys, but such possibility should not prevent others from enjoying their freedom. imbalance can be always reduced and so the environmental pressure to roll something would drop. well, no such pressure should be allowed in the first place, but this requires a strong mind and will of stars.

• MediusMajere
    Well yeah. TESO butchered magic to fit into a narrow class system. No real illusion magic and no real alteration magic. They mashed destruction and conjuration into a few very similar spells with only three actual summoning spells.

A key feature to magic in Elder Scrolls games before TESO was having a vast repertoir of spells you COULD use. I can live with butchering Elder Scrolls magic though. But the "no fireball" for sorcs is kind of.. well.. especially sad... Perhaps that's just because I've come to love that spell in fantasy in general.
  • merwanoreb17_ESO
    I personally feel they should remove the classes and just let us pick between all the skill trees. The class system does not belong in a TES game.
  • Hail_Sithis
    Hail_Sithis
    ✭✭
    We need to stop seeing what we have in the game now as the end all.

If you desire a fireball, let Zenimax know, and they just may add it in due to popular demand.

This is elder scrolls, They want us to do what we want to do. (Within reason)

Craftable poisons, the kill-cam esque thing coming up, Dyes ect are good indicators they atleast acknowledge what players in general like to have.

With the way this game is set up, I would not be suprised were a "Mage" tree added in at some point that gives us the more..."Traditional" elder scrolls spells. (The Sorc spells for the most part, outside of the conjuring aspects, don't really relate to magic from the past games.)
    Edited by Hail_Sithis on May 2, 2014 10:47PM
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
  • Sleepydan
    Sleepydan
    ✭✭✭
    Since they seem to insist on the infernal class system, instead is say a UO based system, I would much rather they just dump all of our magical hopes and dreams into the mage guild line and just make it's list of spells so long it needs a scroll bar.

Fireball/bolt/flames along with their lighting and frost counterparts included. The order you learned them in skyrim is fine with me
  • kelebra
    kelebra
    ✭✭
    Would be very hard to balance if everyone could be anything. They either need classes or they should have just had the weapon lines and no class lines.
  • KoooZ
    KoooZ
    ✭✭

. What kind of master Wizard m I if I cannot reign with fire and rule with light. Where's illumination in it, where's purity?! I want to breathe fire and cause novas. I desire infernos and ash clouds.

Muahahahaha, all these things you wish for I, a mighty DK, possess, and more! Fiery whips and meteors will crush the souls of the lowly masses!
  • mndfreeze
    mndfreeze
    ✭✭✭
    From the reddit Ask me anything they did:

11. Faulgor – Spellcrafting

So, Spellcrafting. I’m incredibly excited about this! What can you tell us about your plans?

I know! I can’t tell you how excited I am to have it in game as well. I don’t want to give ALL the spoilers just yet…but I’ll maybe I’ll drop one or two.
    First one for you, since your thread was the first one I saw: In crafting spells, you’ll be rediscovering the traditional Elder Scrolls schools of magic (alteration, destruction, etc).
    12. Vurik – Spellcrafting

Can we expect a Frost based skill line in the near future? Perhaps an “Ice Drake” tree for DragonKnghts :P.

There are several new frost spells that can be learned via the upcoming spell crafting system.

Obviously I can only speculate as to how it will work and all, but I'm betting it will be more in line with the spell style of past TES games. Probably be able to 'craft' spells in the literaly sense and use them like abilities/skills in your bar. If you think about how the classes are now, there is no magic in the classic TES sense at all, its just special abilities. Perhaps they didnt think they could add the classic spells on top of all the magic-like abilities without risking to much going wrong, or it just not being ready.
    Edited by mndfreeze on May 3, 2014 10:06AM
  • ZIKE
    ZIKE
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just shamelessly post this without doing a search first. Why can't sorcs cast fireball?

It's thé iconic skill for casters in fantasy. And those weak staff attacks don't count as a fireball. No sane sorc uses the staff attacks if he still has magicka left.

Are you serious? LOL You can find plenty of Fantasy MMO's on the market that use Fireball, why have more of the same?
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably because the Templar has a fireball, and they want animations to be different for classes. I could have lived without the fireball, if the lightning shot from the sorcs hands, but that probably would violate StarWars IP.

Sorc has an ultimate that does that very thing. So reminds me of the Emperor in Star Wars :)
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loxy37 wrote: »

Sorc has an ultimate that does that very thing. So reminds me of the Emperor in Star Wars :)

Unlimited powa....Muwahahahahahaha
  • Korereactor
    Korereactor
    ✭✭✭
    Well...a fire staff is kinda a fireball. ;) But yeah, it's rather weak.

Best Sorc ability IMHO: Energy Overload. Friggen awesome, and you get magika back.
    Edited by Korereactor on May 3, 2014 12:29PM
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    KoooZ wrote: »
    Muahahahaha, all these things you wish for I, a mighty DK, possess, and more! Fiery whips and meteors will crush the souls of the lowly masses!
    i do not appreciate you quoting me only to perform a malicious mulch dance!
    but yes, I'm jelous of your powers. in short JIM
    ZIKE wrote: »
    Are you serious? LOL You can find plenty of Fantasy MMO's on the market that use Fireball, why have more of the same?
    because fire is beautiful. I prefer fire breathe but fireball is good too.

let's hope for the spellcrafting t be something useful, easily accessible and vast in its potential. oh, I would like to see extended blood magic for sorcerer, fire, eyes and some etrully destructive 'chaotic' powers like disintegration rays/beams.

for now I wish to breathe fire.

• Mightylink
    Mightylink
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, I asked for this before the game came out, I guess zenimax doesn't listen or care...

Mages always had all 3 elements in all the previous games, it sad they are forcing us to just storm calling in this game v_v
    Edited by Mightylink on May 3, 2014 12:47PM
    Mightylink - Nord Battlemage (Sorcerer)
  • Surinen
    Surinen
    ✭✭✭
    Mightylink wrote: »
    Me too, I asked for this before the game came out, I guess zenimax doesn't listen or care...

Mages always had all 3 elements in all the previous games, it sad they are forcing us to just storm calling in this game v_v
    and to be honest, how many storm abilities do we have exactly? mage's fury is a finisher, then there is a pool of lightning, we have 1 ability to hit our enemies, and it is overload. only one ability! dragonknights can whip around and breathe fire and scratch with fiery claws. we have one ability that is an ultimate! I feel faint smell of magic!
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    KenjiJU wrote: »

But the problem is, then you have 'must have' classes, which is a bigger problem. Looking at GW2 for example, where they took dual-classing away, every single speedclear party wants an elementalist and a warrior, and half the parties just kicks you if you're a necromancer or a ranger.
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    Maybe when spellcrafting comes out...
  • Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    mndfreeze wrote: »
    From the reddit Ask me anything they did:

11. Faulgor – Spellcrafting

So, Spellcrafting. I’m incredibly excited about this! What can you tell us about your plans?

I know! I can’t tell you how excited I am to have it in game as well. I don’t want to give ALL the spoilers just yet…but I’ll maybe I’ll drop one or two.
    First one for you, since your thread was the first one I saw: In crafting spells, you’ll be rediscovering the traditional Elder Scrolls schools of magic (alteration, destruction, etc).
    12. Vurik – Spellcrafting

Can we expect a Frost based skill line in the near future? Perhaps an “Ice Drake” tree for DragonKnghts :P.

There are several new frost spells that can be learned via the upcoming spell crafting system.

Obviously I can only speculate as to how it will work and all, but I'm betting it will be more in line with the spell style of past TES games. Probably be able to 'craft' spells in the literaly sense and use them like abilities/skills in your bar. If you think about how the classes are now, there is no magic in the classic TES sense at all, its just special abilities. Perhaps they didnt think they could add the classic spells on top of all the magic-like abilities without risking to much going wrong, or it just not being ready.

This is the part I am keeping my eye out for with these types of things. New spells along the lines being asked for that are not tied to classes is what I'm hoping.
    Edited by Tetujin on May 3, 2014 10:41PM
  • Gaudrath
    Gaudrath
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to spellcrafting as well - although they should go a step further and add some sort of melee/ranged combat moves crafting too; I mean, we all love mage wars, but cold steel needs some love as well!
  • Tetujin
    Tetujin
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, design some signature moves, that would be amazing.