Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So freaking frustrated and disappointed about not having the ability to share quests with friends

• jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rhoric wrote: »
    GreySix wrote: »
    Some parts of the game are solo only. A lot of mmos have this. I have run into very few of them personally. What are these "key" parts? Instead of being so vague can you give specific examples?

Sure.
    1. The Main Quest instances
    2. Fighters Guild instances
    3. Mages Guild instances

Ive done all three completely. Had no issues whatsoever.

So you had another player come and help you defeat Mannimarco in Sancre Tor? As that is what you are saying.

No I beat mannimarco on my own.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some parts of the game are solo only. A lot of mmos have this. I have run into very few of them personally. What are these "key" parts? Instead of being so vague can you give specific examples?

Sure.
    3. Mages Guild instances

So you had another player come and help you defeat Mannimarco in Sancre Tor? As that is what you are saying.

Then you are lucky as I have died 30 times trying to beat him, I even went as far as respecing my skills to try and beat him with no luck. Being able to group would help but nope they want to screw you in that.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sure.
    3. Mages Guild instances

Then you are lucky as I have died 30 times trying to beat him, I even went as far as respecing my skills to try and beat him with no luck. Being able to group would help but nope they want to screw you in that.

The secret to it is to block those balls into the titans it kills them without you having to hit them.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure.
    3. Mages Guild instances

The secret to it is to block those balls into the titans it kills them without you having to hit them.

What are you talking about. I am talking about Mannimarco. There are no titans in that fight.

• Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wife and I unsubscribed for that very reason. We quest together on everything, and in SWTOR we were able to group absolutely everything.

If ZOS fixes this critical piece (and there is currently no indication they intend to do so), we'll re-subscribe.

You can quest together on almost everything - the only thing you can't are the few solo quests.

I find the grouping tool ridiculous - it's random, difficult to use and the phasing is poor. It's easier to just pm a bunch of people, most of whom ignore you, when you're running whatever quest and hope one of them groups with you - or spam zone chat.

Terrible grouping tool.
    War, give me war, give me war.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sure.
    3. Mages Guild instances

What are you talking about. I am talking about Mannimarco. There are no titans in that fight.

My bad I was thinking of molag bal. Look at the video below its ghosts not titans but shows you how to beat it.
    Edited by jamesharv2005ub17_ESO on May 4, 2014 4:12AM
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This video will show you show how to beat it.

http://youtu.be/esxoYVnAFv4
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said I have tried everything. Still no luck and it is 40 deaths now. I am a sorcerer with a bow and have even switched to restro staff with no luck.
    Edited by Rhoric on May 4, 2014 5:03AM
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure.
    3. Mages Guild instances

Good for you.

Were you able to group with another player in all three cases, in every single instance? If not, then your statement is of no value to me.
    Edited by GreySix on May 4, 2014 5:50AM
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure.
    3. Mages Guild instances

Ah, so looking at the whole piece, it appears your statement boils down to, "I beat everything solo, so nobody else should have an issue with doing to either."

Understand that such a statement is of zero value to what I'm attempting to accomplish. To be frank, I don't care what your gaming style is or how accomplished you are at playing games like this.

I don't care ... at all.

I do care that my wife and I are forbidden to group in key instances throughout this game. We bought and subscribed to this game so that we could play it in its entirety - together.

We were able to do so in SWTOR, so there is a precedent. This isn't rocket-science, so the developers can make it happen.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

• Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    ^ things like Manninarco needs to stay solo.

It's your fight. It's your challenge. It's supposed to be a monumental fight whee you finally go toe to toe with a big bad, adding other players into the mix will ruin both the significance and the difficulty of the encounter. It'll just be another quest.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quest that some people no matter what they do just can't beat. I have been playing MMOs for 14 years and I have never had this much trouble on one boss. I wouldn't be surprised if people haven't quit over this and I know people have quit over not being able to group.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xaei wrote: »

It's your fight. It's your challenge. It's supposed to be a monumental fight whee you finally go toe to toe with a big bad, adding other players into the mix will ruin both the significance and the difficulty of the encounter. It'll just be another quest.

When its REQUIRED to access over half of the game it *needs* to be "just another quest".

My gaming buddy will never see vet levels until a) I can help him or 2) the main quest can be facetanked.

Mandatory content should be completeable by mentally challenged, untrained chimpanzees. You want challenge, thats what optional content and achievements are for.

Mannimarco wasnt a "man, that kicked ass" fight. It was a "thank Hate that thing is over" followed by "man, hes never going to finish that...".

Thats not a good feeling there.
  • tryia3b14a_ESO
    tryia3b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I have a couple friends who are terrible at MMOs. I usually help them out with really tough quests or bosses or whatever. In this game, they get to keep trying to beat the Lyris Doppleganger or whatever until they get frustrated and quit.

Someone mentioned somewhere that many MMOs have these solo only instances? I can't think of one. Star Wars: The Old Republic let your join your friend's instance as an observer, same thing with Guild Wars 2, you couldn't interact with the story NPCs, but you could help them with the fighting.

I played a light side trooper in SW:TOR and my boyfriend did dark side trooper. It was really awesome to play the class instances through both light and dark to see how different things turned out.

It's a shame this game doesn't have anything like that.
    Edited by tryia3b14a_ESO on May 4, 2014 8:13AM
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hodorius wrote: »
    I play that game with a friend...
    We are vet7 now and we did everything beeing in a group.

These three things pointed out above are about 1% of the game time we played.
    ptxrox wrote: »
    Everyone wanted a co-op Skyrim.
    Wrong. You wanted a co-op Skyrim. I did not and neither my friends.
    A co-op Skyrim is not possible as an MMO.
    ptxrox wrote: »
    There's no farming in the game. No simple pleasure of going around and killing monsters for awesome loot or just for the sake of it. This is what holds a MMO, the routine fighting and killing, not the main quest.

I HATE farming.
    I was the guilds main tank in WoW and raids (and whatever came after that) get boring after the 100th time. But they will not let you go that easily as they "need" you because there are only so few tanks.
    Finishing a hard dungeon the first time is great. There will be never a run as good as the first one ;)
    Farming is the worst thing a game can have and I am thankful this game does not force me into that.

Your thread title is misleading btw.
    You can share quests by pressing "F" but I know now that´s not what you ment.

While I'm glad Z is working on the conflict in some of the phasing, grouping is available and I do it almost every playtime.

*Grins and fully agrees with Hodorius -- you are so right, the sharing and grouping IS in this game, just not the ability to completely carry or make money by PLing; wasn't Zeni devs fantastically smart to plan for that and provide a way to deflect it a little? ^-^

ptxrox said:

...add some monsters and farm locations for god's sakes...There's no farming in the game. No simple pleasure of going around and killing monsters for awesome loot...

;) Now I see clearly.

Good journeys!

Edited by Anastasia on May 4, 2014 10:47PM
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »

When its REQUIRED to access over half of the game it *needs* to be "just another quest".

My gaming buddy will never see vet levels until a) I can help him or 2) the main quest can be facetanked.

Mandatory content should be completeable by mentally challenged, untrained chimpanzees. You want challenge, thats what optional content and achievements are for.

Mannimarco wasnt a "man, that kicked ass" fight. It was a "thank Hate that thing is over" followed by "man, hes never going to finish that...".

Thats not a good feeling there.

You got a good point there but I think there's arguments for both sides, and equal validity in both design philosophies.

The point I was making is that often, the best moments in gaming is overcoming an obstacle. It becomes boring when you can just faceroll everything, and that includes the main story of the game. It was the reason why I found say, the fight with Alduin in Skyrim lacking: plot wise, it was great, but the fight itself was a joke and you did not feel threatened at all, which in turn completely undermined the premises of that fight. It was pathetic.

Then you got fights like TSW's Gatekeeper. It was a tough and fair fight which you needed to pass in order to have access to endgame content, and that guy doesn't mess around and will really test what you've learnt up to that point. I died 27 times on him. But when you finally kicked his ass and he stood up told you are ready, it gave you that feeling of accomplishment, you felt you came in as a noob and walked out a badass.
  • KyraCROgnon
    KyraCROgnon
    ✭✭✭
    3. Mages Guild instances

I agree 100% with GreySix about the failure of the game in group questing.
    Husband and I picked that game with the idea to play only together on our main character. Mara ring all the way ! And worked on our character skills to be complementary
    And then we started discovering how hard that actually was :( Between the 3 main quest lines listed above where you end up alone even when grouped, with _no_ warning, and the phased outdoor quests, where if both are not at exactly the same step of the same quest, then you don't see each other, this turned out way too complicated to be any fun. Not to mention the fact that, even when grouped, we don't get to see each other npc interaction. So i turn quest in, then look at partner talking to an empty spot where npc was for me, then move on. Fun ? not ! (unless you like bad mimeshow)

Then add to that the goldseller non stop spam in mailbox, plus numerous testimony of actual players getting banned for giving gold to friend (while gold sellers are still here and prospering...) => i don't even dare help my hubby pay for his horse (got imperial edition myself so i already have one..) => so when we manage to miraculously group, see each other, and be on same phase, it's run on foot for both too.

Please , work on fixing the group rules for quests. collective quest turn in / animation, shared instances, and some way to stay phased together even if one already finished a specific quest. WoW managed it eons ago, SWTOR improved it, i just don't see how you managed to botch it that bad here :(
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How would it adversely impact you for others who don't want to solo content to be allowed to group such content, if you could still solo the same content?

If you answer that question logically, you'll have been the very first to do so.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

• Eris
    Eris
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOTRO has a cool system wherein many of the solo instances have been modified over the years to be solo or duo. They don't really change the mobs, or anything about the instance, they just let a duo into the instance. They did this because a lot of couples point this very thing out. It apparently required some work on their part but the devs made it happen by popular demand.

Since I often play with my roommate, we like these missions. There are still plenty of missions in LOTRO that are still solo, but far less than there were. I agree, for the most part, that some missions should not be duo-able, but the selection should be far less limited than it currently is here in ESO.

Guild missions, nah, don't need to be solo only, it's silly. Why would a guild with so many members send 1 person to do the job if they had 2 standing there.

The problem is, most Devs don't want to make the experience too easy. 2 on 1 in an instance designed for 1 on 1 does make it much easier. Scaling is an option, but scaling needs to be coded and requires a lot more work. They made a bad choice not doing the extra work, and sadly unless they just decide they don't care and want to attract more couples and duo-gamers, they aren't likely to address this anytime soon.

Incidentally, in SWTOR I feel there are some missions that really should have been solo only, simply for the purpose of the story itself. Like all things in SWTOR, I believe that there needs to be a balance to the force (er I mean story).
    Side effects of reading messages on forums can cause nausea, head aches, spontaneous fits of rage, urination due to intense laughter, and sometimes the death of your monitor or other object in throwing range. If you find that you are reading forums more than 24 hours a day, please consult your nearest temporal physicist.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Im all for making it solo or group. Just if its group its need to be much much harder.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im all for making it solo or group. Just if its group its need to be much much harder.

I'd be fine with that. Ironically, my wife is okay with enemies wiping the floor with us, so long as we're together when it happens.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

• euphorb
    euphorb
    Soul Shriven
    When I first heard about how this game was going to have solo-only, I confess I was happy about it, because I'm a solo player normally, even in MMOs. I don't like being beholden to groups' demands and drama.

HOWEVER, now that I've gotten into the game, I really would like to have the option to group on whatever quest I want. I'd even be okay with "This quest is meant to be done solo, so if you do it as a group, your reward will be reduced." I have no problem with being encouraged in a direction, but a hard limit on whether you can group for a quest turns out to be pretty awful.
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...my wife is okay with enemies wiping the floor with us, so long as we're together when it happens.
    I was looking for someone to hug after I read that.

Alas, I'm alone and just hugged my leg.
    Edited by SeñorCinco on May 4, 2014 3:57PM
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭

Sure.
    3. Mages Guild instances

which class you played? He was dirt easy on my Templar and I thought he was a joke (was suggested level and broken gear at time of doing it)
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malediktus wrote: »

Sure.
    3. Mages Guild instances

which class you played? He was dirt easy on my Templar and I thought he was a joke (was suggested level and broken gear at time of doing it)

In another post I mentioned that I was a sorcerer with a bow and even respeced to restro staff also so i had both bow and staff.
  • Elona
    Elona
    ✭✭✭
    I echo many of the sentiments expressed here. I purchased two copies of ESO so that my fiance and I could play together. Due to the state of grouping/phasing, I play alone, because there is no way she will want to play content on her own. As much as I love the core of this game, I fear that my time in Tamriel will be short-lived, because ultimately I want us to be able to experience a game together. SWTOR, GW2, and other options offer enjoyable experiences with no monthly fee to boot.

For an MMO, this really should have been priority #1.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe SWTOR or GW2 is a better choice for you then.
  • mmark516
    mmark516
    Soul Shriven
    have you people who cant group with someone and be at the same point used the travel to option on the other person? i guess not
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mmark516 wrote: »
    have you people who cant group with someone and be at the same point used the travel to option on the other person? i guess not

If an area has phased you wont be able to see the mobs etc because to your character you have already cleared the area. Travel to player doesnt help in this instance.
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmark516 wrote: »

Yes, tried it. It didn't work.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild