The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Would the new AE cap affect your decision to play ESO?

Lowbei
Lowbei
✭✭✭✭✭
Im not asking if you are quitting and im not saying that im quitting, so dont think this is an "i quit" thread. Im simply asking if this major change from the rvr gameplay style of what ill call "openfield" to what will soon be "zerg ball", would impact your decision to play ESO?
Edited by Lowbei on April 29, 2014 2:17AM

Would the new AE cap affect your decision to play ESO? 171 votes

Yes.
50%
VoTFJackieCucynchris.f.price_ESOdahl.lucas_ESOTeargrantsKiashDigeratiBrielsoboyd.62b14_ESOchrisrogers22b14_ESOVasklLowbeiMojojoetpelusob14_ESOChairGraveyardryanhicks28b14_ESOVesirxeoneexb14_ESOXsorusOndark 87 votes
No.
49%
Sykotik_ESOEstwingKewljag_66_ESOmoonsugar66Silowyitrooper_cameron_ESOjpw359_ESONivzruo_ESOAzarulfrwinters_ESOTavenChiefwilliamsSyndykrees28b14_ESOlimbaughb14_ESOKronzmarcmyb14_ESOKreagerpechecklerSariias 84 votes
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Nah , mostly because i play this game right now only to "finish it" , by getting to vet 10 and watching the whole story.

After that when there will be the need of something in this game that still keeps me interested in playing it? Then yeah , maybe it will.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    So you are voting no, not because you have an opinion on the gameplay elements involved in the discussion, but instead because currently you havent reached the point in the game where it affects you?

wow.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Lowbei wrote: »
    So you are voting no, not because you have an opinion on the gameplay elements involved in the discussion, but instead because currently you havent reached the point in the game where it affects you?

wow.

Yes, im.

I voted that there should be none in the other thread , because i dont like that fact this is in the game.

But this does not affect my decision to play it or not right now. And ofc , i have no idea if it will in the future.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Yes... in a good way. I AM MORE LIKELY TO PLAY THAT IS. IT is good some progress is being made but more needs to be done... including changes to Ultimate and vamp swarms.

Anyone complaing about this doesn't know how PvP works: Pure and Simple. You are supposed to use SEIGE weapons to break up zergs not random AoE attacks.
    Edited by TheGrandAlliance on April 29, 2014 3:29AM
    Indeed it is so...
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    No point in playing PvP when it's going to be nothing but stacking/turtling exploit cheaters.
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Mates... use siege weapons! Unlike GW2 you can build them anywhere here.

Only problem is that they are currently underpowered at the moment vs vets but can always be buffed.
    Indeed it is so...
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Only problem is that they are currently underpowered at the moment vs vets but can always be buffed.

....You can build Siege anywhere in GW2

• BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    No, because I see PvP as being a small part of this game.
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    When was this poll done? Because its ridiculous the cap has always been there..... But i do think the cap itself is daft.
    Edited by Kingslayer on April 29, 2014 3:28AM
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

No... in GW2 you have to place a plan down... run supply to it. That takes time. You cannot just fire/engage rapidly like you can in ESO.
    Indeed it is so...
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

No... in GW2 you have to place a plan down... run supply to it. That takes time. You cannot just fire/engage rapidly like you can in ESO.

That still doesn't change the fact, You can build Siege anywhere in GW2

and most Zergs tend to have Supply to build what's needed..Arrow Carts

Its actually faster to build siege in GW2 then it is in ESO..
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Its actually faster to build siege in GW2 then it is in ESO.. [/quote]

I didn't say you cannot build them anywhere I said it is not effective to do so.

"most zergs tend ot have supply" Well tell that to me trebs that require 100 and the like. In GW2 you only have a small amount of seige weapons set up. In ESO you can have up to 20 set up (one per person or even more) in seconds. You can also pick up and replace seige in this game that cannot be done in GW2. Furthermore if you are solo/small group you cannot seige at all in GW2.

Comparing GW2's siege to ESO is not a comparision. In ESO you can have hordes of fire balistas ready to go to AOE fire a target. Complaing bout "not having AoE to negate zergs" fails to realize this concept.
    Indeed it is so...
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

Its actually faster to build siege in GW2 then it is in ESO..

I didn't say you cannot build them anywhere I said it is not effective to do so.

"most zergs tend ot have supply" Well tell that to me trebs that require 100 and the like. In GW2 you only have a small amount of seige weapons set up. In ESO you can have up to 20 set up (one per person or even more) in seconds. You can also pick up and replace seige in this game that cannot be done in GW2. Furthermore if you are solo/small group you cannot seige at all in GW2.

Comparing GW2's siege to ESO is not a comparision. In ESO you can have hordes of fire balistas ready to go to AOE fire a target. Complaing bout "not having AoE to negate zergs" fails to realize this concept.[/quote]

A. That's exactly what you said....

"Mates... use siege weapons! Unlike GW2 you can build them anywhere here."

There is nothing about effectiveness in that sentence, you clearly stated, unlike GW2 you can build Siege anywhere in ESO...however in GW2 you can build your Siege anywhere.

B. In no way would you ever build a Treb to fight a Zerg ball in GW2...The only time a Treb is build is to fire at your own door when fighting a Zerg sieging it, or to fire a the walls of enemies..What you will be building most of the time is an Arrow Cart, usually Superior.. which doesn't cost all that much, and can be almost instantly built by 4 people. You however correct you cannot pick up and replace siege like GW2..You are however not correct about the Sieging with Small Groups in GW2.. as Catapults/Rams are cheap enough for a small group, and Solo you can siege just fine while defending a keep

C. You can build siege faster in Guild Wars 2, and Arrow Carts are worlds more effective then Ballista's in this game...My group came across your zerg right now, and you tried to build Siege to take us out, we'd roll over you in seconds before ya got the first one built...and in the off chance you actually hit us with a ballista attack, we'd instantly cure the fire dot.

There is virtually no way ever for a small group to build Siege in this game fast enough to take out a Large Zerg before they get run over..a Large zerg can't even accomplish it against a small group.
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    A. My OP is not worded properly. My intention was to refer to the fact it is hard to build seige everywhere not that is techinically possible. If you are confused over this I applogize my hastely written message was not clear.

B. Seige in GW2 are generally Underpowered and not effective. The most effective ones are cannons from a mounted postion.... however in general terms GW'2s seige are weak.

C. You need to learn how to use seige then. You need to put them down "when they are in the distance"not when they are right up against you. Perhaps you need to learn how to use open-battle seige more effective. Granted, once agian, they are UP vs VR ranks however a well-place fire seige can wipe out hordes of non-vets.
    Indeed it is so...
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AoE cap is not new, it's been in the game the whole time ...
    ;-)
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    A. My OP is not worded properly. My intention was to refer to the fact it is hard to build seige everywhere not that is techinically possible. If you are confused over this I applogize my hastely written message was not clear.

B. Seige in GW2 are generally Underpowered and not effective. The most effective ones are cannons from a mounted postion.... however in general terms GW'2s seige are weak.

C. You need to learn how to use seige then. You need to put them down "when they are in the distance"not when they are right up against you. Perhaps you need to learn how to use open-battle seige more effective. Granted, once agian, they are UP vs VR ranks however a well-place fire seige can wipe out hordes of non-vets.

A. That's still poorly worded, it is not hard to build siege in GW2, ...you can build it pretty much anywhere like this game..Gw2 requires Supply though, which is in easy supply esp in Zergs.

B. Cannons aren't really effective against Zergs in GW2..In fact they're pretty much the first thing destroyed at a keep... Because they can be easily hit, and anyone standing near them will die because of it..What Cannons are used for in GW2 is to kill other Siege, namely Siege Golems....that is why zergs kill them first. Arrow Carts and Ballista's are by far the most effective against Zergs, with Arrow Carts being the most powerful... you can wipe a large group in seconds with them if ya know what you're doing.

C. You run across a zerg....You clearly see them in a distance, you start setting up the Siege..Do you know what they're going to do? They're going to spread out.... and run you down in seconds...

You like the other guy don't quite understand how Small Groups kill Large Groups in these games..you don't kill them in slow fights....You kill a Large Number very fast then you take out the people left..Anything else is inviting disaster

• Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    SirAndy wrote: »
    ;-)

For some abilities, however most of the abilities used by groups to wipe zergs, Don't have the cap.

• BringWind_ESO
    Yes.
    Yes... in a good way. I AM MORE LIKELY TO PLAY THAT IS. IT is good some progress is being made but more needs to be done... including changes to Ultimate and vamp swarms.

Anyone complaing about this doesn't know how PvP works: Pure and Simple. You are supposed to use SEIGE weapons to break up zergs not random AoE attacks.

except that siege aoe is also capped to 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyK9tLzG5o

Edited by BringWind_ESO on April 29, 2014 4:22AM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

except that siege aoe is also capped to 6.

Siege isn't capped
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ;-)
    For some abilities, however most of the abilities used by groups to wipe zergs, Don't have the cap.
    @xsorusb14_ESO
    Which is the bug that ZOS is fixing in the upcoming patch.

So once that patch is deployed, we're back to how it was and how it was supposed to be.
    ;-)
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    ;-)
    @xsorusb14_ESO
    Which is the bug that ZOS is fixing in the upcoming patch.

So once that patch is deployed, we're back to how it was and how it was supposed to be.
    ;-)

Which is exactly the complaint, People don't want the AoE's we use to Wipe Zergs and keep population in check to be nerfed to idiot mode so a bunch of herp a derps can hump one another and avoid dying to AoE's like they do in Gw2

Edited by Xsorus on April 29, 2014 4:10AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is exactly the complaint
    @xsorusb14_ESO No, it isn't...

The complaint came from people that never knew there was an AoE cap and they thought that ZOS was nerfing their ability to do crowd control.
    Except, there has always been an AoE cap, people just never noticed until they read about it in the patch notes.
    ;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on April 29, 2014 4:14AM
  • caveman42ub17_ESO
    Yes.

FAIL!

Siege is for... siege. See what I did there? Not saying it can't be used to bust the occasional zerg, but it is really ineffective at it. It's a bit like using a screwdriver as a hammer. You can technically, but it just doesn't work as well as using a real hammer and is far more prone to injuring yourself.

Random aoe attacks are bad. I agree with you there. All they do is bring attention to the caster and he dies quickly. Coordinated aoe attacks are what kills zergs.
  • caveman42ub17_ESO
    Yes.
    Which is exactly the complaint
    @xsorusb14_ESO No, it isn't...

The complaint came from people that never knew there was an AoE cap and they thought that ZOS was nerfing their ability to do crowd control.
    Except, there has always been an AoE cap, people just never noticed until they read about it in the patch notes.
    ;-)

There is a very definite and absolute cap to aoe. It's called range. Currently, I hit everything that is dumb enough to stand within 8 meters of me. Unfortunately, I have to be within 8 meters of them, putting me squarely within melee range.
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

LOOOOOOOLLLLLL

Except in the game they were supposed to be "copying" called DAOC, an 8 man group that was built right and organized could not only do it but it is what the game is still known for. It's only known as pretty much the best pvp game to date so you might want to I don't know, do some research or play different games or something?!
    Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 4:38AM
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    No i don't really care i'll adpat to the situation
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly.
  • Taven
    Taven
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    DAoC Vet here. Name of the game is to adapt and conquer.
  • cisadanepajsuxrwb17_ESO
    No.
    So. If a minor adjustment in a virtual world where you invest a minority of your time can get you ticked off enough to depart said virtual world, I am sorry to say but boy o boy are you gonna have a whole lotta thing comin when you become an adult and have real world things
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Before you get any ideas, I hate GW2 stacking and I do not want to see that here, but there are 2 factors missing here that lended to gw2 stacking:
    1. AoE damage cap, but no cap on particular defensive buffs
    2. no cap on AoE teleport (mesmer teleport)

This does not mean at the door there still isn't a danger of GW2 lame stacking, but those 2 factors alone tells me I wont "just quit" because I have a fear of how it MIGHT be.

TBH calling for nerfs on abilities is what leads to these things... you never get what you asked for, you get what the dev team thinks you need. I'm still not 100% opposed to an AoE cap system, I just don't want GW2 stacking.
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census