Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Vampire suggestion: Retain Scars, Tattoos and Make-up upon becoming a Vampire

Ufukb86rwb17_ESO
So recently I have become a vampire (and I will bite people for free to get rid of these selfish money horders).

I have one main concern though. I pay quite a lot of attention to how characters look. And as a vampire (especially higher stages), they become really ugly, IMO. The vampire features are fine, but maybe making them a transparent overlay on the already present facial features might be a good idea. The make up my character had previously is now gone. Which doesn't even make sense. A vampire can still apply makeup, if they feel like it. And also, the black rings are just too saturated.

I would be in favor of having the vampire look as an overlay on the character and increasing the transparency of the red eyes and black rings so it doesn't look so crappy.

What are your opinions?

Edit: I want to help people from going through each an every post to understand the current state of the discussion. Therefore I will just add my updated opinion:

"People suggest that seeing a vampire is essential for PvP. But there are points that argue against it:

1) The player can hide himself in his armor
2) In zerg fights, small details about the opponent are easily missed
3) even if people recognize vampires, if they didn't slot relevant skills previous to the encounter, it doesn't have any effect
4) vampires suffer from additional fire damage and decreased health regeneration. In PvP these are huge drawbacks already.

Also, if it is so essential to recognize vampires in PvP, there are sure other ways of doing it. Changing the color of the health bar would be one example.

I wouldn't agree to turning off the vampiric skin completely, but a transperency slider which allows let's say 0-50% transparency would be great.

And even with 0% transparency, the player should still retain make-up, scars and tattoos.
"
Edited by Ufukb86rwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 8:48AM
  • Vynist
    Vynist
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think they should keep how vamps look as they are. I like the idea that when a vamp walks into a room that is stage 4, everybody KNOWS that he is a vamp. Being a vamp has pros and cons, obviously, and I think looks should stay, in my opinion.

Of course, I am not a vamp yet, so I'll gladly take a vamp bite from you if you are high enough level lol. Ingame: Vynist/Viridyana

Cheers
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    OP it was your choice to become a vampire now you will have to live with being ugly. Everyone should know what TES vampires look like from playing the single player games, so there should never be any complaints.

I say they are fine as they are because they are monsters and monsters are ugly.
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    You make me laugh, sad vampire :smiley:
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • Ufukb86rwb17_ESO
    I can always chose to undo being a vampire again, of course.

Saying Vampires are monsters and monsters are ugly are two arguable presumptions in a row. Hence, point dismissed.

Adding transperancy to the vampire "skin" and allowing previously selected facial features to be maintained would not prevent vampires from being easily recognizable. Make-up, tattoos, scars... upon becoming a vampire these cool features all dissappear. Where is the logic in that?
  • deamor666eb17_ESO
    deamor666eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You can always do /feedback in game and add a suggestion about a new vampire ability that hides your vampiric appearence.

Or something like that...
    I think people don't use /feedback enough. I think it's a great tool in this game.
    Saying Vampires are monsters and monsters are ugly are two arguable presumptions in a row. Hence, point dismissed.
    monster
    ˈmɒnstə/
    noun
    noun: monster; plural noun: monsters

a large, ugly, and frightening imaginary creature.
    "a monster with the head of a hyena and hindquarters of a wolf"

Here you go - both 'arguable presumptions' in one vocabulary definition. Hence, point stands.

Edited by pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 6:37AM
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the OP is just asking that the face be more closely reminiscent of the original face. Vampires can still wear black lipstick for example.

This seems like a pretty reasonable desire to me. No need to troll them.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
    Sarenia wrote: »
    I think the OP is just asking that the face be more closely reminiscent of the original face. Vampires can still wear black lipstick for example.

Maybe vampires should also glitter in the sunlight? I don't want Twilight vamps, I want proper ugly and scary vamps, like in Coppola's 'Dracula' for example.

OP just wants to have all the perks of being a vamp but no drawbacks. I don't think there's even a point in discussing it.
  • Ufukb86rwb17_ESO

That's right. That is all I want. And I think it is very reasonable. There is no need for tattoos, makeup and scars to vanish once you become a vampire. But in order to see those facial features, I suggest a sort of let's say 10-20% transparent vampire skin overlay.

No need for trolls to come here and start spamming annoying comments out of jealousy.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe vampires should also glitter in the sunlight? I don't want Twilight vamps, I want proper ugly and scary vamps, like in Coppola's 'Dracula' for example.

OP just wants to have all the perks of being a vamp but no drawbacks. I don't think there's even a point in discussing it.

... Huh? What do sparkles have to do with anything? Sorry, I'm not brushed up on the latest troll lingo.

So you think that a character's scars, tattoos, and makeup should completely vanish when one becomes a vampire? That the facial permutations should not be based upon the pre-existing structure of the face?

If you're going to troll somebody, at least put a little thought into your responses first. Not everything is rigidly black and white. There's a nice grey area to consider.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Vynist wrote: »
    I like the idea that when a vamp walks into a room that is stage 4, everybody KNOWS that he is a vamp.

And we should be able to kill them on site...

Vamps have no place in towns or cities, it's completely lore breaking.

But such is the way of MMO's

Really Zeni should have not introduced vamps until they had a whole expansion dedicated to questing as a vampire away from towns and cities.
    Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
    So you think that a character's scars, tattoos, and makeup should completely vanish when one becomes a vampire? That the facial permutations should not be based upon the pre-existing structure of the face?

OK, so we're seriously discussing it. On a real dead body scars and tattoos become more distinct due to general paleness of the skin of a dead person (which a vampire is) and their color shifts towards purple end of scale.

I'm not familiar with RL vampires but being a dead person I wouldn't worry about makeup. In books vampires are able to transform into bats (not sure if that ever occurred in TES series, though) which implies an enormous change in bone structure... so enormous that the whole idea of 'bones' as a rigid structure upon which the body is built shall be scrapped. In that case it would not surprise me if facial features of a person and a vampire, who originated from that person, will have nothing in common.

Will that argumentation suffice your highness? :smile:
    Edited by pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 7:26AM
  • Ufukb86rwb17_ESO
    It was a serious suggestion and discussion from the very beginning.

The fact whether YOU would worry about make-up or not as a dead person is absolutely irrelevant.

Your argument about turning into a bat and becoming human again, and losing facial features in the process is just plain stupid. According to your half-hearted real life realism approach (which has no place here anyway. Tamriel is a place of MAGIC. Duh...), vampires should be able to morph their looks completely on a regular basis. And everyone would disagree with that suggestion.
    Edited by Ufukb86rwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 7:34AM
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I want the Vampire Lord transform but hey that's me - but with better looking wings than the vanilla Dawnguard edition.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
    It was a serious suggestion and discussion from the very beginning.

The fact whether YOU would worry about make-up or not as a dead person is absolutely irrelevant.

Your argument about turning into a bat and becoming human again, and losing facial features in the process is just plain stupid. According to your half-hearted real life realism approach (which has no place here anyway. Tamriel is a place of MAGIC. Duh...), vampires should be able to morph their looks completely on a regular basis. And everyone would disagree with that suggestion.

You don't see it, do you? If Tamriel is a magical place and everything is possible (which it is) then, just like in religion you can't ask 'Why does the God exist?', you can't also ask 'Why are the vampires ugly?'. Or, rather, you can ask, but the best answer is 'Because the world is that way'.

My comment, which you called 'stupid' was in response to an earlier criticism that I was a troll because I failed to understand that the 'bone structure' should remain the same. Well, it's a magical world and it shouldn't. :smiley:

If you take every little bit of common sense out and just rely on 'magic', 'god' or other superficial thing then you can't ask questions about the world at all. The answer to any 'why' question you can possibly envisage will be 'Tamriel is a place of magic and here everything is possible'.

Edited by pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 8:03AM
  • Ufukb86rwb17_ESO
    I facepalm at your logic and your apparent absolutely unjustified self-confidence.

To a question "why is this like that?", the answer "Because that is the way it is" must be the most unintelligent and unsignificant ever.

Suggestions are feedback to change the current state. Duh...

There are no reasons why vampires in this game should not retain their facial modifications that players paid attention to during character creation, like scars, tattoos or make-up. And you haven't provided any.

Edit: And just so you protest me saying that:
    1) "Vampires are ugly monsters, so they should be ugly." Is neither an objective, nor a player friendly statement.
    2) "Because it is the way it is" is just a stupid statement.
    3) "Because vampires can turn into bats in other books and stories, therefore, even though in this game they don't, their bone structure must reform everytime they do and therefore, even though all other facial features remain, their scars and tattoos vanish"... stupid statement
    4) "If I was dead, I would not bother with putting on make-up" WHO CARES?!
    Edited by Ufukb86rwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 8:08AM
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree. And I have half a mind to reprot those trolls. Not for trolling, but for trying it while being so terrrible at it. If you want to troll where I read you, at least have some skill. If you don't, don't try it. That is not too selfish I think.

SWTOR has a nice feature called "Hide Darkside Corruption". And Darkside corruption is as close to Vampirism as anything can be with different MMO's and different Lores.
    A UI option to "Hide Vampirism" like "Hide Helmet" would be nice. Maybe even a transparency slider as sugested in the OP.

While there might be a minor gameplay argument for "seeing it's a vampire" (identifying them in PvP makes choosing fire against them an obvious thing), you cannot identify a vampire that wears full armor without hidden helmet. So even that is a non-argument.
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • Ufukb86rwb17_ESO
    That is the same argument as has been raised in another thread. People suggest that seeing a vampire is essential for PvP. But there are points that argue against it:

1) The player can hide himself in his armor
    2) In zerg fights, small details about the opponent are easily missed
    3) even if people recognize vampires, if they didn't slot relevant skills previous to the encounter, it doesn't have any effect
    4) vampires suffer from additional fire damage and decreased health regeneration. In PvP these are huge drawbacks already.

Also, if it is so essential to recognize vampires in PvP, there are sure other ways of doing it. Changing the color of the health bar would be one example.

I wouldn't agree to turning off the vampiric skin completely, but a transperency slider which allows let's say 0-50% transparency would be great.

And even with 0% transparency, the player should still retain make-up, scars and tattoos.
    Edited by Ufukb86rwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 8:45AM
    I wasn't trolling. It's boring and I haven't done it in ages. The purpose of my comments was to show that this discussion has no point whatsoever as the answer to the question of 'Why vampires do not retain features of the character they've originated from?' lies on the surface:

a) Design decision
    b) Devs forgot about it
    c) Devs have it on their list but currently have more pressing issues
    d) Devs are working on it and it will be implemented in one of the next updates

I'm not trying to be an the-other-word-for-donkey and I appreciate your decision to not charge money for the bite but I don't think there's any point in this discussion. What you should've done (as with any other suggestions) is used /feedback and brought your suggestions to the attention of developers.
  • Nasuradin_ESO
    Nasuradin_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    c) Devs have it on their list but currently have more pressing issues

I'd say there is a lot of this going on. But you see all the fixes in today's patchnotes? woo.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zgrssd wrote: »
    SWTOR has a nice feature called "Hide Darkside Corruption". And Darkside corruption is as close to Vampirism as anything can be with different MMO's and different Lores.
    A UI option to "Hide Vampirism" like "Hide Helmet" would be nice. Maybe even a transparency slider as sugested in the OP.

While there might be a minor gameplay argument for "seeing it's a vampire" (identifying them in PvP makes choosing fire against them an obvious thing), you cannot identify a vampire that wears full armor without hidden helmet. So even that is a non-argument.

^ This ^

This would be a perfect solution to the ugly face thing. Some of us put a lot of time and effort into making our characters look good, and the devs clearly understand that with the 'hide helmet' option. Surely a 'hide vampirism' option wouldn't be that difficult to add?

In Morrowind, a friend and I created a little mod called Vampiric Illusion, which allowed vampires to hide their giveaway features - 'putting on a mortal face' we called it! We created it for my main guy, Basil, who fed through seduction - being ugly was just not an option he would settle for!

Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
    Edit: And just so you protest me saying that:
    1) "Vampires are ugly monsters, so they should be ugly." Is neither an objective, nor a player friendly statement.
    2) "Because it is the way it is" is just a stupid statement.
    3) "Because vampires can turn into bats in other books and stories, therefore, even though in this game they don't, their bone structure must reform everytime they do and therefore, even though all other facial features remain, their scars and tattoos vanish"... stupid statement
    4) "If I was dead, I would not bother with putting on make-up" WHO CARES?!

1. Vocabulary definition of the word monster which a vampire (arguably) is.
    2. It's extension of your logic
    According to your half-hearted real life realism approach (which has no place here anyway. Tamriel is a place of MAGIC.
    3. You're not even quoting my statement properly. What I wanted to bring to your attention is that the transformation of a character into a vampire is on a par with transformation of a caterpillar into a butterfly. You don't find it strange that no features of caterpillar remain in a butterfly. Anyhoo, the state of transformation into Vampire Lord in Dawnguard is not too far from an actual bat.
    4. I couldn't care either.

Edited by pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 9:45AM
  • Ufukb86rwb17_ESO
    pavelcherepanskyrwb17, now instead of saying "it is the way it is" or stating other unintelligable arguments you finally succumbed to say "there is no point in this discussion, stop discussing it". I wonder if there are many other forum users like you who have absolutely no contribution to a topic whatsoever.

Also, in your cute little a, b, c, d list, you have forgotten a few other possibilities. One of which is "the devs haven't considered it and need to receive feedback to do so"

Edit: I wonder if there are any ignore options in this forum that I could use on pavelcherepanskyrwb17... If you don't hear me responding to you, that is the reason. Value of your posts and comments = 0
    Edited by Ufukb86rwb17_ESO on April 21, 2014 9:45AM
    Also, in your cute little a, b, c, d list, you have forgotten a few other possibilities. One of which is "the devs haven't considered it and need to receive feedback to do so"

It's option b).

• Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »

Will that argumentation suffice your highness? :smile:

Perhaps, after you've paid tribute in the form of one million rubles.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange, my scars are still present on my main after he became a vampire. Never heard about tattoos disappearing - hat's very unfortunate...
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also recommend the following:
    1. Turn into Bat.
    2. Have multiple flavors of Vampire including the Count Chocula, and the Twilight
    3. Reaction to food stuffs such as Garlic just like how in-game consumables can have a negative effect.
    Count-chocula.jpeg
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have people actually had scars disappear? My vampire still has a nice fat scar across his face.

I think you're either making things up or not paying close enough attention to appearance. The only changes are pale skin/fur and eye color.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    2. Have multiple flavors of Vampire including the Count Chocula, and the Twilight

The only thing more annoying than Twilight fanatics is the "hardcore vamp" fanatics who think they know what vampires "should" be, and try to drag their misconceptions into every conversation involving vampires. Because they saw some Hollywood movie with lots of gore.

Most of them don't even know that Dracula wasn't the original vampire novel. Carmilla is much more enjoyable, and was written in the late 1800's - far before Dracula. She didn't sparkle, she wasn't allergic to garlic, and she wasn't a gore-fiend, and she wasn't disfigured. She's one of the true originals.

Personally I don't even like vampires, or werewolves. I'm just disappointed in the lazy, uneducated trolling here. The OP didn't say anything remotely involving sparkles or other silliness.

Can't wait until the free month is over.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 21, 2014 5:46PM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    Vampires cannot apply make-up solo - they don't have reflections so how do they get it straight?