Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Im just being honest - ESO feels like a downgraded version of Skyrim. What dyou think?

• byghostlightrwb17_ESO
    Wow would be nice to read things like this just once, in which players didnt think Skyrim was the pinnacle of Elder Scrolls games. And realise how far removed it is to the others. It like ESO is different, doesnt make it downgraded.
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Another "I played Skyrim, im a huge Elder Scrolls fan" thread claiming the game isn't enough like Skyrim so there-for nothing like Elder Scrolls, really not sure what you even expected or if you even read anything about the game.

Do you know anything about MMO's at all ?

You could say that ESO is a dumbed down Skyrim if you like and you are entitled to that "Opinion" ..... However Skyrim is a very watered down version of Morrowind to get the Call of Duty crowd interested, In my opinion Skyrim is the weakest Elder Scrolls game in the whole series.

Everything about Skyrim is basic, not sure why you would want that in an MMO.

Final point Skyrim is only half good when you have modded the hell out of it, as for graphics wise ..... its pretty close if not as good as the untouched graphics of Skyrim

Conclusion: your entitled to your opinion but that does not make your opinion right, you could say the same to me.
  • Kadigan
    Kadigan
    ✭✭✭
    I'll jump in with my opinion here: I disagree with the OP. My very first Elder Scrolls game was Morrowind, and since then I've played Oblivion and Skyrim and even briefly visited Arena and Daggerfall and enjoyed those as well. I was very excited for Skyrim when it was announced but greatly disappointed with the game itself. It felt like a watered down version of the Elder Scrolls. Hardly any NPCs had a story to tell and the few who did just threw it right in your face (repeatedly) without so much as a "hello there." The questlines, the overall writing, left much to be desired.

When I first heard about The Elder Scrolls Online, I honestly thought it was going to ruin the franchise. I intended to keep far away from it and pretend it didn't even exist. Then someone gifted me a beta key. I went from pretending the game didn't exist to playing it with more wonder and enthusiasm than I have felt for a new game since Oblivion. ESO feels so much more alive than Skyrim, even if some areas could use just as much improvement (looking at you Sheogorath).

The gameplay is different because it is an MMO. Even as an Elder Scrolls fan, I understand that I cannot walk out of every house with three quarters of the furniture in an MMO. Skyrim had some great mechanics that simply wouldn't work in this game. That said, we're given access to more of Tamriel than we've had since Arena and we get to explore it with friends. I'd say that's a fair trade for Elder Scrolls fans. If MMOs just aren't your cup of tea, that's fine. Skyrim isn't going anywhere :)
    Daggerfall Covenant: Fork-Stealer, Argonian Dragonknight
    Aldmeri Dominion: Kadigan, Bosmer Nightblade
    Let's be civil, shall we?
  • Raice
    Raice
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree.

ESO feels like an upgraded version of every MMO I've ever played since SWG.

I don't tend to compare genres. It's a little unfair. Genres are categorized by their conventions - things people expect within a genre. For instance, The Legend of Zelda has completely different elements of gameplay than something like Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    There are some things I miss in ESO that Skyrim has:-

1. The open world.
    2. Less linear questlines/leveling.
    3. I prefer the skill trees in Skyrim.
    4. The way you clicked on a piece of furniture to use it.
    5. NPC's actions/reactions seemed more detailed.
    6. The Skyrim 'World' seems more 'Alive' somehow.

I expected ESO to be different due to the nature of the game and programming restrictions inherent in MMO's.

I like both games and am quite happy with the way ESO has turned out so far, but I would have liked ESO even more if it really was more of a sandbox/open world.