Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

I wish Zeni would...

Mortelus
Mortelus
✭✭✭
I wish Zeni would implement the 'A' and 'D' keys as turn keys. It is a pain in the behind trying to align yourself for that perfect screenshot, and more than once I have accidental fallen off a cliff.

I wish Zeni would also implement a toggle helm 'on' or 'off' key-binding instead of me trawling through the settings menu. I like to wear my helm when fighting, but not when I'm walking around a city.

I wish Zeni would implement 'pick up book' so that I can read a book later in my own time and not (in some cases) next to a mob spawn, which results in me having to stop read to kill something.

I wish Zeni would implement key binding memory so I don't need to keep doing it on every character.

I wish Zeni would give the archer skeleton in the tutorial a 100% drop rate for a bow.

I have more but forgotten...
Who has time? But if we never take time how can we ever have time?
  • loops73
    loops73
    ✭✭
    I wish zeni would have made a better game
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These seem like perfectly reasonable desires.

I have actually asked them to make _all_ books readable through the UI too, after you "read" them one time. Currently only lore books are covered.

Edited by Sarenia on April 18, 2014 3:05AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭

What, you mean like you just did?

Edited by ZOS_SilviaS on April 18, 2014 1:38AM
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Sarenia wrote: »
    These seem like perfectly reasonable desires.

I have actually asked them to make _all_ books readable through the UI too, after you "read" them one time. Currently only lore books are covered.
    Munku wrote: »
    I wish you wouldn't post rubbish...

Oh, the irony...

Ye maybe I should send them more feedback than I currently do. Somethings that are missing in this game astound me, I know it's new, but come on, the ability to memorise your key-binding settings?

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, I will be playing it for many a year to come, unless it goes F2P. But they have some glaring obvious things missing, and simple things too.
    Edited by Mortelus on April 18, 2014 1:28AM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order:

-The mouse is 10x more accurate when it comes to aligning a screenshot or turning a character. There's a reason there aren't keybinds for turning.
    -Be less lazy? Just be glad they even had the option. Most old-school Elder Scrolls players don't support the option to visually remove gear when you're still receiving the benefits of wearing it.
    -Because this came up twice already: play the Mages Guild quest line. That's all I'll say.
    -Yes. This would be fine.
    -It's a staple of MMOs that most mobs drop random loot instead of actual versions of what they were wielding.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    In order:

-The mouse is 10x more accurate when it comes to aligning a screenshot or turning a character. There's a reason there aren't keybinds for turning.
    -Be less lazy? Just be glad they even had the option. Most old-school Elder Scrolls players don't support the option to visually remove gear when you're still receiving the benefits of wearing it.
    -Because this came up twice already: play the Mages Guild quest line. That's all I'll say.
    -Yes. This would be fine.
    -It's a staple of MMOs that most mobs drop random loot instead of actual versions of what they were wielding.

- I was not aware you could use the mouse for turning, Noob moment here...:)
    - It's not a case of being lazy, it's immersion breaking to press [esc] cycle through some menus then turn on a button. If you RP you'd know what I am talking about.
    - I am a ranger, why would I do the mages guild? Sorry don't know what you mean, can you explain it to me please?
    - It is 1 mob at the very start of the game, to help those that wish to use a bow, use a bow from almost the beginning of the game and not upon finishing the tutorial when you are lvl4/5. I didn't ask for all mobs to drop loot representable to what they are carrying, all though now you mention I think they should, after all it is more realistic.
    Edited by Mortelus on April 18, 2014 3:06AM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mortelus wrote: »

- It's not a case of being lazy, it's immersion breaking to press [esc] cycle through some menus then turn on a button. If you RP you'd know what I am talking about.
    - I am a ranger, why would I do the mages guild? Sorry don't know what you mean, can you explain it to me please?
    - It is 1 mob at the very start of the game, to help those that wish to use a bow, well... use a bow from almost the beginning of the game. I didn't ask for all mobs to drop loot representable to what they are carrying, all though now you mention I think they should, after all it is more realistic.

You can't argue for realism and simultaneously argue for a "toggle helmet" key.

And you can opt to not do the Mages Guild quest line, but I assure you that the feature you want is already available in the game.

And yes, it would be more "realistic" for enemies to drop everything that they're wearing/carrying, just like they do in the single-player games. But this is a multiplayer game, and the economy would break very quickly if you got a full complement of armor/weapons from every enemy.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

... Huh? You're just arguing for the sake of argument.

@Mortelus‌
    You can use the Full Immersion addon from ESOUI for the helmet thing at least. Optionally auto-equips a helmet when you enter combat, and removes it after.

I think there is one over there that gives you a toggle hotkey to do this too.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I'm not. If you want realism in a game (and let's face it, the realism is always going to be limited), you can't have a button to toggle a helmet on and off, even if you're always receiving the benefits of the helm. In the single-player games, you've always had to unequip the headpiece if you want to see your glorious hair. This game has made some concessions to MMOs, but don't pretend it's realistic to have a hat that can spontaneously disappear.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭

- It is 1 mob at the very start of the game, to help those that wish to use a bow, well... use a bow from almost the beginning of the game. I didn't ask for all mobs to drop loot representable to what they are carrying, all though now you mention I think they should, after all it is more realistic.

I just did. If they make a nice little animation of me taking my helm on and off, would that please you?

Well as I have no interest in the mages guild, this is this first time I am hearing of this. I did ask you nicely to explain what you meant, but obviously mannerisms are lost on you.

Again you obviously didn't read what I said. I will talk in laymen terms for you. There is a skeleton inside the wailing prison that is an archer. It is designed to teach a new player how to interrupt a mob performing a special attack. I Suggested they give this skeleton a special loot table that would make it drop a bow 100% of the time, so that new players who wish to start using a bow, can do so almost immediately.

I would also suggest making the first skeleton drop a sword/dagger so those wishing to DW can do so at the earliest opportunity.

I AM NOT asking for every mob in game to have loot dependent on what they are using.

But even if they did this, and I have seen it in many ARPG's, take a look at Titans Quest, to circumvent your little problem of a broken economy, you would introduce broken items. You bash the mob so hard you can no longer take its armour because you bust it up too bad.
    Edited by Mortelus on April 18, 2014 3:22AM
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did. If they make a nice little animation of me taking my helm on and off, would that please you?

Well as I have no interest in the mages guild, tis is this first time I am hearing of this. I did ask you nicely to explain what you meant, but obviously mannerism is lost on you.

Again you obviously did read what I said. I will talk in laymen terms for you. The is a skeleton inside the wailing prison that is an archer. It is designed to teach a new player how to interrupt a mob performing a special attack. I Suggested the give this skeleton a special lootable that would make it drop a bow 100% of the time, so that new players who wish to start using a bow, can do so almost immediately.

I would also suggest making the first skeleton drop a sword/dagger so those wishing to DW can do so at the earliest opportunity.

I AM NOT asking for every mob in game to have loot dependent on what they are using.

But even if they did this, and I have seen it in many ARPG's, take a look at Titans Quest, to circumvent your little problem of a broken economy, it to introduce broken items. You bash the mob so hard you can no longer take its armour because you bust it up too bad.

To only respond to the points that merit it:

No, you have the ability to take a helmet off and still receive full benefits. That's not realistic. It's nifty, but not realistic.

And did it occur to you, role-player that you appear to be, that I might not be telling you any specifics about the Mages Guild because I don't want to spoil the plot?

If you have complaints about not getting to select every weapon type at the start of the game, then take it up with all the people who whined about the tutorial during beta.

----
    Murray?
  • xshadowclawzz12
    I agree with all of this. Plus they should do something to make it easier to take screenshots for us that loves doing that. Dunno how to explain it, it's late now and I need to go to sleep, I can literally hear the birds sing.
  • Malkavianqueen
    Malkavianqueen
    ✭✭✭
    You can't turn your character with the mouse. T__T You can turn the camera, but not your character. If you run backwards in first person, your character runs forwards technically if they don't have a weapon drawn. It's why my character fishes backwards half the time.

I too would like keybindings to turn my character because of this. At least then I wouldn't feel so much like a floating pair of hands in first person.
  • RiverWalker
    just to throw it out there...

why not just *actually* take your helmet off when you enter the city?
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭

Well as I have no interest in the mages guild, tis is this first time I am hearing of this. I did ask you nicely to explain what you meant, but obviously mannerism is lost on you.

Again you obviously did read what I said. I will talk in laymen terms for you. The is a skeleton inside the wailing prison that is an archer. It is designed to teach a new player how to interrupt a mob performing a special attack. I Suggested the give this skeleton a special lootable that would make it drop a bow 100% of the time, so that new players who wish to start using a bow, can do so almost immediately.

But even if they did this, and I have seen it in many ARPG's, take a look at Titans Quest, to circumvent your little problem of a broken economy, it to introduce broken items. You bash the mob so hard you can no longer take its armour because you bust it up too bad.

To only respond to the points that merit it:

No, you have the ability to take a helmet off and still receive full benefits. That's not realistic. It's nifty, but not realistic.

And did it occur to you, role-player that you appear to be, that I might not be telling you any specifics about the Mages Guild because I don't want to spoil the plot?

If you have complaints about not getting to select every weapon type at the start of the game, then take it up with all the people who whined about the tutorial during beta.

A game cannot be 100% realistic. I am aware of that, but for appreciation to aesthetics, there are things that you can do to make a players experience more enjoyable. I really don't understand the point you are trying to argue here.

If I really wanted a proper RP experience that's as true to life as I can get in a game I would go back and load up my modded skyrim.

Cycling through a menu to take my helmet off is annoying and immersion breaking. How would you feel if everytime you wanted to summon your horse you need to go through menu options? Please tell me?

And thank you for considering my feelings about spoilers, appreciated.

And the point of this thread was me giving my opinion, and letting others give their opinions, on small things that Zeni could introduce to help them enjoy their game time more. Not for me to start a complaint thread about what has/hasn't been given/taken away in game.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭

@Mortelus‌
    You can use the Full Immersion addon from ESOUI for the helmet thing at least. Optionally auto-equips a helmet when you enter combat, and removes it after.

I think there is one over there that gives you a toggle hotkey to do this too.

Awesome thank you, I will check it out later :)
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A game cannot be 100% realistic. I am aware of that, but for appreciation to aesthetics, there are things that you can do to make a players experience more enjoyable. I really don't understand the point you are trying to argue here.

Cycling through a menu to take my helmet off is annoying and immersion breaking. How would you feel if everytime you wanted to summon your horse you need to go through menu options? Please tell me?

These two thoughts are mutually exclusive. It is not "immersive" to continue to receive the benefits of armor while it's visually removed from your character. But you're arguing that it ruins immersion to not be able to magically vanish it more easily.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭

No, I'm not. If you want realism in a game (and let's face it, the realism is always going to be limited), you can't have a button to toggle a helmet on and off, even if you're always receiving the benefits of the helm. In the single-player games, you've always had to unequip the headpiece if you want to see your glorious hair. This game has made some concessions to MMOs, but don't pretend it's realistic to have a hat that can spontaneously disappear.

My modded skyrim lets me get the benefits of my helm :blush:

Seriously though, it is an option already in game. SO why not make it slightly easier to use. It is not up for debate on whether it should be in game or not, because it already is. The debate is on the ease off access to that mechanic. Currently it is annoying.
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    All, just be glad you have the helm off/on option at all. It was not there some months back during beta.
    The Sidekick Order
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would certainly like to be able to save a keybinding/settings/chat options template that I could apply globally rather than have to do it separately for each character.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    dolmen wrote: »
    All, just be glad you have the helm off/on option at all. It was not there some months back during beta.

I am glad it is in game. Really i am. But not it's current location in game.

If it is that much of an annoyance, then just give a toggle on/off key bind and when it is off you don't get stat from it. Geese, only asking becaase it is annoying to go into system settings to take my darn helm off.

Would you all be annoyed if you had to do the same to call your horse?

• Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭

These two thoughts are mutually exclusive. It is not "immersive" to continue to receive the benefits of armor while it's visually removed from your character. But you're arguing that it ruins immersion to not be able to magically vanish it more easily.

No I am arguing it is immersion breaking having to go into system settings to take my helm.

I can chose to ignore the fact my helm is being beneficial to me even when it is hidden. I cannot ignore the fact I need to go into system settings.

Would it please sir you if they added a key bind to toggle on/off, but when off it gives no stats?

All I am asking it to give toggle key bind for helms. I am beginning to think you are just arguing because you enjoy reading my responses.....
    just to throw it out there...

why not just *actually* take your helmet off when you enter the city?

This is an option yes. But why not just have a keybinding that you can hit to take it off, you know, like how you have one for summoning your horse.
    Edited by Mortelus on April 18, 2014 5:49AM
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I understand, you want a keybind toggle to ACTUALLY take off your helmet when you want to for roleplaying, not just to have it either visible or hidden permanently.

Yep, completely valid request as far I as I am concerned.

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    @Epona222‌
    Yep, I don't care if it is giving me stats or not. It is just to make things a little less hassle. Kind of like weapon swapping as well, it would get frustrating quickly if you had to keep going into your inventory to change to a bow, then change to S+B etc..

Edited by Mortelus on April 18, 2014 5:59AM
  • dolmen
    dolmen
    ✭✭✭
    @Mortelus, sorry of course a key bind would be nice. I was a bit short. I should have said more. ZOS only added the option recently, so give them time, keep asking for the key bind option. My apologies for being terse.
    The Sidekick Order
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    @dolmen‌, Nope my apologies to you :) I think my tone was off, mainly because tiring of typing the same thing over and over lol.

But I hope they do make it more conveneitn, it would be super awesome if they added a short 2 sec animation to it also. (ai a, now I am getting greedy)
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @dolmen‌, Nope my apologies to you :) I think my tone was off, mainly because tiring of typing the same thing over and over lol.

But I hope they do make it more conveneitn, it would be super awesome if they added a short 2 sec animation to it also. (ai a, now I am getting greedy)

No you're not being greedy - I walk into town and already I put my bow away, another key to take off my helmet and shake out my hair so it's no longer flattened down would be a really nice thing to have for RP purposes.

There are some (ok plenty) bug and feature fixes that are more important, but yes that would be a nice little feature to have added once everything else is fixed. :)
    Edited by Epona222 on April 18, 2014 6:35AM

• Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    Do you just unequip your bow through the inventory? Or is there a key binding for that.
  • Mortelus
    Mortelus
    ✭✭✭
    I would also like to have an option to turn on auto-sheath weapons, yes I am lazy, if you can be lazy in a game that is...
  • Daracon_Rage
    I wish Zeni would fix the guild bank...

and... you know.. bugs and stuff...