Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Anyone else burnt out from questing?

• Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sick of solo content, that would be more accurate.

The questing in this game is pretty generic, which doesn't help.
  • Cagro
    Cagro
    ✭✭✭
    I love to PVE when I am concerned about other players attacking me otherwise I find it boring. This game has great story and everything but I need to get to the PVP zone fast. I am only level 8. How do level 10s do in PVP against level 50s and veterans? If I just want to look for one on one fights and not group fights, is the gap in level too difficult to overcome?
  • Krohm
    Krohm
    ✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Zubba wrote: »
    Questing is to me like having a job I hate. I am considering myself lucky to have a job I like. But questing suck big time.
    So what kind of XPing don't you hate?
    soalrism wrote: »
    something I cant understand: buying a heavily on questing focused game if you hate questing.
    My thought too.

It's an MMO nearly all MMOs are quest-based leveling, kind of hard to see why someone would buy this since it was abundantly clear all along what this game is and isn't.

Give me EQ1 leveling any day, WOW is what made questing the norm, I made more friends from finding groups then I have in any mmo to date, hell some even turned out to be real life friends.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Krohm wrote: »
    Questing is to me like having a job I hate. I am considering myself lucky to have a job I like. But questing suck big time.
    something I cant understand: buying a heavily on questing focused game if you hate questing.
    My thought too.

It's an MMO nearly all MMOs are quest-based leveling, kind of hard to see why someone would buy this since it was abundantly clear all along what this game is and isn't.

Give me EQ1 leveling any day, WOW is what made questing the norm, I made more friends from finding groups then I have in any mmo to date, hell some even turned out to be real life friends.

I totally agree. Challenging, group based leveling was fun. This WoW style solo quest setup that ESO uses is pretty dull. It wouldn't be so bad if you could change things up with dungeons or pvp, but they removed the exp from everything except questing and open world mob grinding. They are really shooting themselves in the foot by alienating players who like to team up.
    Edited by Gohlar on April 17, 2014 12:59PM
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    no, because half are broken.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawtsauce wrote: »
    Yes I was drawn to this game for the PvP , from waht I understand it was to be a big part of the game , that cant reallly be true if it isnt a viable option for leveling.

Before someone jumps in and says " Its not about the destination its about the journey , blah blah" Face it - level 50 VR 10 is the goal , do we have to get there in 1 week - def not but it would be nice if I could play the game how I choose to and get more than 1 level every 2-3 days
    I enjoy the questing but I agree pvp should be an good option, simply increasing the xp gain from kills would solve most of this.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately things have evolved. The reason you made so many friends in EQ1 was because you were spending so much time resting and/or staring at your spellbook. These archaic gameplay methods encouraged you to be more social because you were bored out of your mind with the way the game worked. It would be a serious step back to revert to that, even though you're fondly remembering people you met while dealing with those horrible gameplay mechanics.

That said, group grinding as an option isn't a bad idea. I just wouldn't want that to be the only way to play. I vastly prefer the storytelling based leveling we get in the more modern MMOs.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    What MMORPG has more fun questing than ESO? In my opinion there is no MMO with funner questing than ESOs... WoW, EQ1, EQ2, GW2, SWTOR, Defiance... Hmm I guess I could stop here but all of those MMOs have the same boring questing which is collect 20 of these or kill 20 of those.

Especially swtor omg I remember on the republic side those kill 10 of these then kill another 20 of the same then 40 of the same... Yeah but they did have a very fun choice system in quests why I really loved, it was too much fun choosing all the evil choices.

ESO does away with all of that. The quests are so much fun and interactive and have such a nice flow. If you don't like ESOs questing and some how got burnt out then you just do not like questing at all period. Well I guess you could prefer the grindy feeling quests from the MMOs I mentioned because I do see so many people "Looking for grinding group" in game.

I don't share that play style with you guys, I would become bored with the game after about an hour of grinding the same mobs over and over again.

But I see you mentioned PvP so I guess you're just a PvP player, most PvP players only play MMORPGs for only the PvP for some reason. I always wonder why they don't play a serious PvP game where it's made for PvP like a MOBA.

I wish they would. But sadly zenimax has to cater to everybody. Wouldn't have cared if there was no PvP in this game, probably would have enjoyed the game even more, plus I don't remember any of the elder scrolls games having PvP so it's not like I would miss not having something we never had.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gohlar wrote: »
    My thought too.

I totally agree. Challenging, group based leveling was fun. This WoW style solo quest setup that ESO uses is pretty dull. It wouldn't be so bad if you could change things up with dungeons or pvp, but they removed the exp from everything except questing and open world mob grinding. They are really shooting themselves in the foot by alienating players who like to team up.

This game isn't for you. Move on.

Also, veteran content. If that's not challenging then I guess just move on to a challenging game more your style.
    Edited by Elvent on April 17, 2014 1:52PM
  • the1andonlypzb14_ESO
    Not tired of it at all - listening to the dialogue and taking part in the lives of the NPC's is a huge part of the game - and I'm enjoying it immensely.
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »
    Gohlar wrote: »
    My thought too.

This game isn't for you. Move on.

The game, sadly, isn't for mmo players at all. It's not even for tes players with it's very restrictive, linear leveling. No idea why they turned tes into a theme park. Be careful what you wish for.
    Edited by Gohlar on April 17, 2014 2:04PM
  • Krohm
    Krohm
    ✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »

Unfortunately things have evolved. The reason you made so many friends in EQ1 was because you were spending so much time resting and/or staring at your spellbook. These archaic gameplay methods encouraged you to be more social because you were bored out of your mind with the way the game worked. It would be a serious step back to revert to that, even though you're fondly remembering people you met while dealing with those horrible gameplay mechanics.

That said, group grinding as an option isn't a bad idea. I just wouldn't want that to be the only way to play. I vastly prefer the storytelling based leveling we get in the more modern MMOs.

It might be old but grouping up is fun to me, to much solo play and I get board, don't get me wrong ESOs quests are awsome, love being a bad guy and getting to make choices but they should of made public dungeons group ones that had size to them and names, right now they feel cheap and a wam bam thank you mam with no substance.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »
    Well I guess you could prefer the grindy feeling quests from the MMOs I mentioned because I do see so many people "Looking for grinding group" in game.

I don't share that play style with you guys, I would become bored with the game after about an hour of grinding the same mobs over and over again.

I also find the questing good in the game, but I understand as well that there are a lot of other MMO players who really dislike questing because of the "downtime" associated with it (i.e., time you are not actually killing things, but running from A to B, collecting things and so on), and prefer grinding. The game allows it, so I don't see that as a problem -- there are certain areas which appear very much to be set up for grinding, where the mobs are close together and have short respawn timers, and there are often grinding groups in these areas (it's faster than quests if you are with a group in these areas).

I also think the initial design was to have XP come from dungeons and PvP but the system was extremely easy to exploit in terms of leveling much faster than was intended, so it was turned off. Hopefully they will turn it on at some point in a more balanced way for those players who do not like questing.
  • xshadowclawzz12
    I do agree, there's a lot of walking and the weyshrines just cost too much (at least when you are low level). I wish there was another way to level. On my main character I will level through questing but I have an alt who I use for doing other professions and I don't want to redo every single quest because that just takes so much time and it get's boring doing the same quests all over again. There needs to be another way to level.
  • xshadowclawzz12
    He wasn't saying he hated it, he just said that it was too much running back and forth. Drama...
  • Severan
    Severan
    ✭✭✭
    I did every quest to level 50, took my time and listened to dialogue. It was enjoyable then. Now at VR3 I am so tired of quests... PvP NEEDS to give exp to VR players...
    Xbox One - BeScurred
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree, there's a lot of walking and the weyshrines just cost too much (at least when you are low level).

On the wayshrines: if you go to the nearest one, you can use it to go to any other wayshrine for free.

• Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do agree, there's a lot of walking and the weyshrines just cost too much (at least when you are low level). I wish there was another way to level. On my main character I will level through questing but I have an alt who I use for doing other professions and I don't want to redo every single quest because that just takes so much time and it get's boring doing the same quests all over again. There needs to be another way to level.

You can use wayshrines all day for free if you go to any wayshrine and use the wayshine to port. Something I have learned recently and saved quite a bit of gold.
    Edited by Elvent on April 17, 2014 4:06PM
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got bored fairly quickly of the SWTOR questing. The voice-overs there were well done, but the content was boring.

The voice-acting here is pretty good in my opinion, but I don't think the lip-syncing is quite up to par. It's definitely improved from when I first complained about it in beta, so I wouldn't mind if it doesn't get any better.

However, the content is infinitely more appealing...and I'm a Star Wars fanatic more than a TES lore-fan.
    Edited by crush83 on April 17, 2014 4:08PM
  • scruffycavetroll
    scruffycavetroll
    ✭✭✭
    crush83 wrote: »
    I got bored fairly quickly of the SWTOR questing. The voice-overs there were well done, but the content was boring.

The voice-acting here is pretty good in my opinion, but I don't think the lip-syncing is quite up to par. It's definitely improved from when I first complained about it in beta, so I wouldn't mind if it doesn't get any better.

However, the content is infinitely more appealing...and I'm a Star Wars fanatic more than a TES lore-fan.

i think the VO's sometimes completely don't fit the character.

Orc's sound like normal humans, you'd think they'd all be gritty, even the female ones...like they all just finished smoking a box of Lucky's.

I was talking to this nasty looking ghost with the lower half of the jaw missing, the voice was that of a child...granted the questline involved the ghost of a child, not this nasty thing that looked like it was tortured. so i would've expected to see the ghost of a child to match the VO the went with it.

People talk about things breaking immersion for this game like nameplates...this is even worse...where a VO / animation is completely out of place with what it is representing.
    Edited by scruffycavetroll on April 17, 2014 4:30PM
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not yet. I'm playing three characters: level 31 nightblade in EP, level 21 melee sorcerer in DC, level 17 archer sorcerer in AD. If I get bored with what one is doing I switch to another.
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never! I enjoy PvE and questing can be a big part of that. But I know there are requests for enhancements to PvP; and I really not in a position to comment.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as grinding goes instead of questing. Ultima Online originally didn't have quests. They had random world events, and grinding. And it was freaking glorious.

You'd head down to the graveyard and slay skeletons for awhile leveling up your swordsmanship and tactics. You'd cut up some cloth for bandages and heal yourself for healing gains.

Once you got higher in your skills, you'd find harder places to train that were more dangerous and notorious for PKs.

I remember training on Serpent's Hold point because there was a steady spawn of Lizard Man at the point. Our guild would go down there, and we'd fight Lizardman for a couple of hours, and spar with one another to train. A few weeks of that, and before long we were closing in on Grandmaster status.

It was truly a good feeling to know that I had worked hard to obtain that status.

That just wouldn't fly in today's games. People want everything so easy. Not a lot of work involved. I think that is why questing has taken off. It can be really easy, especially if you skip the dialogue.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Censorious wrote: »
    You gotta be kidding. I just did a quest (Dont' ask I don't remember the name) that involved travelling all the way to some town right the other side of Riverswhatever to 'talk' to someone = all of two seconds - then travel all the way back to the quest giver with the reply (and collect the reward).

That's just blatant chain-jerking.

Then you are not paying much attention and are focused on finishing one and only 1 quest at a time. I have observed that any travel path that long would go by anywhere from 6 - 15 new quests to stop and do as you go by them including 1 or more mini quest hubs. So if all you did was get the quest race across the map and wayshrine back you wasted a huge opportunity to get experience and questing and exploration.
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    As @Alyrn_Grey‌ mentioned, quests like that are meant to lead you along a path that exposes you to other quests.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I did get bored of the long treks alone in pvp though and quit after an hour.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭

You are doing wayshrines wrong if you are paying anything to use them.

Walk into the shrine and use E to click on it then when the map comes up pick any other wayshrine. That kind of travel wayshrine to wayshrine is free. But ... if you open your map and wayshrine it costs about 60 gold then it goes up if you do it within a certain time of the first one. This happens even if you are standing in the wayshrine and open your map. You must click on the wayshrine to get the free travel.
  • TheCookisMonstar
    If you're burnt out at level 8... you're not going to have much fun for the next 42 levels and 10 Veteran Ranks.

Mob grind?

Face the facts :) VR10 = lvl 150 or 1-50 3x
    *Policing the MMO community since 1997*
  • mark2472
    mark2472
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really tired of questing, but it WOULD be nice to be able to take a break from the questing and do dungeons for a few levels. But, sadly... the xp for dungeons was nerfed so hard that's not truly a viable option. Sure, I can go do the dungeons a few times regardless, but for what? It's not a viable alternative so I may as well just stick to the questing.
  • crush83
    crush83
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why exactly do you feel like you should be leveling up while doing the dungeons? Why can't you do dungeons for awhile, have fun looting and experiencing them for what they offer, then return to questing, without having advanced in levels? Is there some rule that says you MUST always be advancing at the same rate no matter what you do in the game?
    Edited by crush83 on April 17, 2014 6:12PM