Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why do we do it? (Pay monthly and have to deal with downtime)

• Hutch
    Hutch
    I think folks are quick to forget how most MMO's are started, and that they are riddled with fixes, it's just the nature of the beast. So many people compare every MMO to WoW but I still remember how WoW was at first. Incredible lag that took FOREVER to loot something, being stuck in one animation and unable to do anything else, waiting for 45 minutes to get into a server due to the queue, quests being broken, models looking terrible (remember the original Ogre model?).

The subscription has never bothered me, and while the downtime can be a real pain in the neck at the time, it's just something that has to be done. At least for me, I spend 50 bucks on a game and then 15 bucks a month, but how many hours do I put into the game? (this is obviously a personal example and not everyone's experience, I am aware)

But if I go out to a movie for 2-3 hours and buy some food? I spend about 15 bucks on a ticket, another 15 bucks on some food, and that's 30 bucks right there for 3 hours of my time. So if I spend that initial chunk of money for the game, and 15 bucks a month afterward to play and I'm putting 20-30 hours of time in a month? Sounds like I'm getting much more bang for my buck in entertainment.
  • Evelyn_Nightingale
    Evelyn_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭
    nhisso wrote: »
    Wow. This topic actually happened. In 2014. Seriously?

Don't worry I hear this whole 2014 thing is just a fad and wont last.

I'll give it 'till the end of the year. :grin:
    Ebonheart Pact :: Nord Dragon Knight :: Blacksmith
  • Evelyn_Nightingale
    Evelyn_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭

I am proud that Zenimax has gone with a subscription model. It is a massive showing of faith on their part.

So by Zenimax choosing a Subscription model means that they have turned away from the model that offers the best return and offers the best possible fair and balanced experience for the players.

I totally agree with this. Plus, I hate F2P games when you can only be the best if you dump a lot of real world money into a cash shop. I much prefer making everyone do an equivalent amount of work to achieve the best gear. In my opinion, if you must have a cash shop it should only be for vanity items or minor convenience items that don't give you an unfair advantage over others.

Zenimax chose their subscription model to avoid making a "pay to win" game, and I am glad they made that choice.
    Ebonheart Pact :: Nord Dragon Knight :: Blacksmith
  • MysticAura
    MysticAura
    ✭✭✭
    Why deal with downtime? Well, lets see...without downtime there would be no added content, or bug fixes. This would be very bad. I know that downtime haters don't tend to make this connection,and I don't understand how they couldn't have this realization, but I really wish they would.
  • jimredtalon
    jimredtalon
    ✭✭✭

I am proud that Zenimax has gone with a subscription model. It is a massive showing of faith on their part.

So by Zenimax choosing a Subscription model means that they have turned away from the model that offers the best return and offers the best possible fair and balanced experience for the players.

I totally agree with this. Plus, I hate F2P games when you can only be the best if you dump a lot of real world money into a cash shop. I much prefer making everyone do an equivalent amount of work to achieve the best gear. In my opinion, if you must have a cash shop it should only be for vanity items or minor convenience items that don't give you an unfair advantage over others.

Zenimax chose their subscription model to avoid making a "pay to win" game, and I am glad they made that choice.

My point exactly, and I wont name the game since it would be a breach of the forum rules but there is one popular F2P MMO out right now that I will hint at by saying it is a FPS. That game is one of the worst F2P because to unlock the majority of the content, and I am using numbers from an article by PC gamer mag. back around the launch of the game so there is even more to spend money on now, it would cost a minimum of 327$. So if you think 15$ a month for 11 months plus 60 initial buy is an unfair amount (totaling 225$) I say we are getting a fair deal.
  • Ibura
    Ibura
    ✭✭✭
    I question the impatience of nowadays people, wanting everything now and on the very moment, instant gratification.

I frown upon people wanting everything for free or as cheap as possible .... while many themselves even complain on how few they earn for hard work done.

My eyebrows rise when one stresses and rushes others to get all things done in the moment...while many people are stressed or burned out by the demands of their own bosses.

Why do we run around in circles doing unto others what we dislike what is done to us.

All of us....who have 'the luxury' to have some free time and do things that we like....next time when we complain about the few hours we were unable to do something 'extra', demanding an insta-solution....could we please relativise (put things in perspective). Perhaps picturing yourself a starving child in a third world country would help...demanding food and water on his/her plate within five minutes ....

Sorry, I don't want to moralize. Just....when I look around myself in the world today, or read the chat or things people post ....everywhere *shakes head*