Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why is the Insult "go play wow"

PVT_Parts
PVT_Parts
✭✭✭
Clearly it should be "go play Tera" Even the tank skills are the same. Shield charge, chain pull skill, etc. Same aiming game type. WOW is nothing like TES, Tera=ESO
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is, people hate wow because it is cool thing to do, or they changed the game in a way they don't like. So they hate on it.

I don't even consider it a insult myself, Wow gave many of us Years of enjoyment. Not many games have done that, and it was a fun ride. People are just silly.
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    Because this game is touted to be wow killer?
    Altheina - Wood Elf Nightblade
    TESO Fun-fact 1: It takes to kill 119,050 mudcrabs to reach level 50
    TESO Fun-fact 2: There are 61 million items in the game
    TESO Fun-fact 3: There are 40,656,000 different weapon variations in the game
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, people hate wow because it is cool thing to do, or they changed the game in a way they don't like. So they hate on it.

I don't even consider it a insult myself, Wow gave many of us Years of enjoyment. Not many games have done that, and it was a fun ride. People are just silly.

Ah, I see. Personally I tried wow for a few months, but don't really go for the "click attack and just wait while your guy auto attacks" sure it's the same as just spamming left click, but not as much fun. Plus I was a fan of the warcrafts before WOW and was upset when they said they wouldn't make anymore RTS warcraft games, so my hatred was instilled at an early time. Still though, ESO is Tera, not sure why more people haven't realized that instead of saying "Go play wow" Blizzard saddens me now :( Warcraft III was their last great title IMO.
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dumbest thing ever, nothing will kill wow but its age, no mmo can and will beat it. It will dwindle down when people want new world and new class system. That is the only thing that will kill it.

• PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭

really? Everything I heard was "A new MMO can not compete with the old sub based MMOs" where did you hear that this was WOW killer? I thought maybe FF(Whatever number online is) killer was what it was being labeled.
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭

Dumbest thing ever, nothing will kill wow but its age, no mmo can and will beat it. It will dwindle down when people want new world and new class system. That is the only thing that will kill it.

They will probably make a WOW2 at some point and add in the fighting style that Tera and ESO have to draw a new crowed. Then maybe I'll try it.
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭
    Look, I am just commenting what I've read from media, player threads and discussions and you all know that new mmos that come out have always been largely compared to being wow killer so don't shut me down :(

That's the reason why I said 'touted' because that's not said by me but what has been said by people in general.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go play WoW you pleb.
  • Blackhorne
    Blackhorne
    ✭✭✭✭
    PVT_Parts wrote: »
    WOW is nothing like TES

There's your answer right there. People say "go play WoW" in response to people who are complaining because ESO isn't like WoW.

They have a point, but as @rager82b14_ESO implied, they're expressing it badly.

The irony to me is that one of the primary reasons I stopped playing WoW is that the forums and chat kept getting buried by the qq'ers and the trolls. Kind of like the "this game isn't enough like WoW" and "go play WoW" crowd on these forums.

Ah well. WoW was fun while I played it; ESO is fun so far.

• PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    Look, I am just commenting what I've read from media, player threads and discussions and you all know that new mmos that come out have always been largely compared to being wow killer so don't shut me down :(

That's the reason why I said 'touted' because that's not said by me but what has been said by people in general.

I wasn't shooting you down. I was just curious where you read that because I read a lot of articles about it and the majority said that it would not be able to hang with wow and that they were making a mistake by making it P2P.
  • Distrobomb
    Distrobomb
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is worthless (slow clap)
    I survived the great ESO launch disaster 2014 B)
  • MysticAura
    MysticAura
    ✭✭✭
    Disclaimer: I know some very nice people who play WoW

The reason go play WoW is an insult, is due to it's well known (infamous really) community. It's often compared to 360 kids community. (Of course this is a general and nothing to do with the few good people in these places) Good games can be destroyed by bad communities.
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because people complain that this game doesn't have name plates, a mini-map, an auction house, two rows of hotkeys, arenas, etc. etc.

It isn't an insult; people just like this game the way it is and don't want to see it turned into WoW.
  • Altheina
    Altheina
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't shooting you down. I was just curious where you read that because I read a lot of articles about it and the majority said that it would not be able to hang with wow and that they were making a mistake by making it P2P.

Like I said, many new mmos that come out have been linked to be wow killer and TESO receives no exception. In other words, TESO also being compared to WOW in media sites and one example:
    TESO:Emperor of MMOs?
  • Jadeviper1974
    Jadeviper1974
    ✭✭✭
    I also think it has to do with for the past few years every game that has come out people have wanted changes to make the game more "WoW like".
    What is written above are my honest opinions. If you agree then; "Great!" If you disagree; "Great!" I really couldn't care less either way.
  • rager82b14_ESO
    rager82b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MysticAura wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I know some very nice people who play WoW

The reason go play WoW is an insult, is due to it's well known (infamous really) community. It's often compared to 360 kids community. (Of course this is a general and nothing to do with the few good people in these places) Good games can be destroyed by bad communities.

Eh, I think most MMO communities have turned into that. I mean even this one, is starting to have tons of bad apples. Has nothing to do with the game, more so with gamers today.
  • dpayne83_ESO
    dpayne83_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think the insult is "Go play WoW" is because a lot of today's MMO players grew up on WoW so the arguments usually involve "In WoW this.." or "I remember doing this in WoW."

Before WoW MMO's weren't huge. They were a niche genre that managed to survive based on the funding from its smaller player base. Each game was different in how it handled everything and Blizzard took what people liked and implemented it into their behemoth to the point where the people who grew up playing WoW believe that it set the standards for what an MMO should be and what it should include. It's really a negative thing because it doesn't give another game a chance to do it's own thing. I say this because people loved WoW but for some reason stopped playing it. However they miss things about it and when the next game comes along they hop in wanting to hopefully have a similar experience in the new game than they did in WoW and when they mention something in chat about a feature WoW had or even a different feature all together the others view it as someone forgetting that this isn't WoW.

I was a D&D player when it came to RPG computer games and when I played Elder Scrolls for the first time I had a tough time because it was so different in execution. But it grew on me and it took time but people these days are very impatient. Case in point Vampire and Wereolf bites. I see people being dumb and offering to pay for them instead of waiting and getting it for free, simply because they don't want to wait. And that is the mentality that WoW put into a lot of kids who grew up playing it they were handed a lot of stuff after Burning Crusade came out. It's so easy to level up and gear up and get anything you want. I honestly prefer a challenge, it makes the rewards that much sweeter.
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    lol I grew up playing runescape. Was it an insult when WOW came out to say "Go play Runescape"?
  • azraels_grave
    There is no WoW killer, but WoW itself. As some have already noted.
    "Reality does not exist online. So please do not infect my gaming experience with your perception of reality."
  • lordspyder
    lordspyder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I use it in arguments is when people start saying ESO doesn't have x feature, but WoW did or ESO does y feature this way but WoW did it this other way it should be more like it was in WoW. People seem to forget that this is not WoW. This is ESO, and if they wanted to go play WoW they should, you know, go play WoW.
  • SgtPepperUK
    SgtPepperUK
    ✭✭✭
    Melian wrote: »
    Because people complain that this game doesn't have name plates, a mini-map, an auction house, two rows of hotkeys, arenas, etc. etc.

It isn't an insult; people just like this game the way it is and don't want to see it turned into WoW.

Thing is, WoW wasn't the first to do that many of those things, if any.

The real change WoW brought with it was making MMOs accessible by combining the best elements of previous MMO titles and changing the actual gameplay itself.

My only real issue with WoW, and it's more an issue with players themselves, is people were more forgiving of WoW and really supported it through its' adolescent stage, whereas now people seem to expect a new MMO to have almost as much content at launch as WoW does now does after years of expansions and updates.
  • Reiterpallasch
    Reiterpallasch
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I see. Personally I tried wow for a few months, but don't really go for the "click attack and just wait while your guy auto attacks"

That's uh... like pretty much the exact opposite of how that game plays. At least know what you're talking about before badmouthing something.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the main reasons people say "Go play WoW!" is because it's often in response to someone complaining about something that is different from WoW. They didn't want innovation or even just a different way of doing things. They wanted WoW 2.

No arenas. Go play WoW. No global AH. Go play WoW. Stealth not exclusive to a particular class loaded with stun locks. Go play WoW. Limited to six skills at a time rather than fifty spread out all over the screen and so many numbers flying past that the game looks more like a spreadsheet. Go play WoW.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackhorne wrote: »
    WOW is nothing like TES

There's your answer right there. People say "go play WoW" in response to people who are complaining because ESO isn't like WoW.

They have a point, but as @rager82b14_ESO implied, they're expressing it badly.

The irony to me is that one of the primary reasons I stopped playing WoW is that the forums and chat kept getting buried by the qq'ers and the trolls. Kind of like the "this game isn't enough like WoW" and "go play WoW" crowd on these forums.

Ah well. WoW was fun while I played it; ESO is fun so far.
    Yes, lots of people want features from other MMO, typical arenas, more skills on bar and more controversial auction house.
    Yes this is common in most mmo but most think of wow.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackhorne wrote: »

This. When someone complains this game doesn't have this or that etc that is commonly available or happening in WoW.

Same also happens in Battlefield forums. Someone complains about game mechanics that are special to Battlefield they get response "Go back to COD".
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • annarr1117nub18_ESO
    Negative minded judgement of certain newly released MMORPGs always leads to verbal chaos folks!
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    @PVT_Parts‌

It's the gamer equivalent of "Your mom!" hostile. juvenile. unoriginal.

• dpayne83_ESO
    dpayne83_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Khazaad wrote: »
    @PVT_Parts‌

It's the gamer equivalent of "Your mom!" hostile. juvenile. unoriginal.

Unfortunately that's the mentality of a lot of people I see. It's why I ignore zone chat 90% of the time.
  • Tiyamel
    Tiyamel
    ✭✭✭
    go play WoW? hell no WoW sucks, i bought it, played it, deleted it, gave my account to my daughter, she played it for 2 months then deleted game the same
    Guild Master of Lost Prophecies, small group of friends playing in Ebonheart Pact, recruitment only accessible through playing with us and making a good impression.
    Want to know more on how to increase forum stars and achievements, check my guide here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/62438/forum-badges-list
    Can't seem to level Werewolf or its abilities? check this:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108490/werewolf-effective-levelling-of-skill-line-and-abilities-warning-spoilers-may-be-included
    If it helps then please Insightful/Agree/Awesome or even Lol me :)
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    People say 'go play WoW' because WoW is the archetype of MMOs.

Many of the complaints and suggestions aimed at ESO are aimed at pushing ESO to be more like 'what people expect' of a MMO.
    Truth is, those ideas are old and worn and it's annoying to people trying to embrace new ideas when they hear a constant chorus of reactionary, conservative demands to make this game more like it 'should be'.

So, if you want flying mounts, rogue-only stealth, world PvP and all the other stuff that isn't in this game - go play WoW.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.