The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar=tank...Dragonknight=DPS ????

Urnbak
Urnbak
I've been reading a lot how templars make the best tank, and dragonknights make the best dps is this true??
coz i've been looking at the skills and to me it seems the other way round.
  • pysgod1978b14_ESO
    Either will work.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Urnbak wrote: »
    I've been reading a lot how templars make the best tank, and dragonknights make the best dps is this true??
    coz i've been looking at the skills and to me it seems the other way round.
    You need to forget class concepts from other MMOs...they don't apply here.

The only distinctions between classes are class-specific skills. A tiny fraction of the total skills in the game are class-specific. There are tons and tons of non-class skills that will do DPS and tanking.

You could literally make a sorcerer that is melee-only and does great DPS. So pick the class which has class-specific skills that you like and go from there.

• Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to really see those threads , cause i cant understand how the templar can possibly be the better tank , even if i agree both are be viable.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • dagnome
    dagnome
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like your new to the game so lets get started.
    FORGET CLASSIC "ROLES" LIKE IN OTHER MMO'S!!

Yes classes to have abilities that lend themselves as preferred or ideal roles but with how they use Weapon skills and class skills any role can be filled by any race, class, or alliance. A sorcerer can run heavy armor and tank while a Templar could toss on some medium/light and go to town with stamina and magicka based offense. This game really lends itself to experimentation. So don't go making a Breton Templar because you want the "Best tank". Player skill will always trump builds. With the ability to respec skill points and attribute points (100g per skill/attribute) the possibilities are endless, so i challenge you to make that character that YOU will enjoy playing because you'll enjoy this game that much more.

Before you ask, the shrines to respec are typically found in the third zone (Depends on what alliance you play as).
  • Urnbak
    Urnbak
    I'm aware of the non class roles, but i'm looking at the templars skills and none of them seem to be defense, just healing and range fire skills more than anything,
    i think the DK suits the tank role better.
    Edited by Urnbak on April 9, 2014 10:13PM
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dagnome wrote: »
    It seems like your new to the game so lets get started.
    FORGET CLASSIC "ROLES" LIKE IN OTHER MMO'S!!

Yes classes to have abilities that lend themselves as preferred or ideal roles but with how they use Weapon skills and class skills any role can be filled by any race, class, or alliance. A sorcerer can run heavy armor and tank while a Templar could toss on some medium/light and go to town with stamina and magicka based offense. This game really lends itself to experimentation. So don't go making a Breton Templar because you want the "Best tank". Player skill will always trump builds. With the ability to respec skill points and attribute points (100g per skill/attribute) the possibilities are endless, so i challenge you to make that character that YOU will enjoy playing because you'll enjoy this game that much more.

Before you ask, the shrines to respec are typically found in the third zone (Depends on what alliance you play as).

Atleast seems i got the right race hehe. Yeap , got a breton in AD just because i thought those were the best perks for a a templar tank :P.

If that is true , i would not know , so many freaking choices , and i still dont see after playing both the DK AND the templar , how can the templar be the best tank lols.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭
    Templar Tank here.
    Blinding Light - Aoe that makes enemies have 50% chance to miss
    Rune focus - dirt cheap and increases both Spell resistance and armor a buttload
    Illuminate passive - increase your spell resistance against attacker by a good amoutn
    Nova - enemies deal 40% less damage
    Spear Wall - increase blocking against melee attacks by 15%
    balanced warrior- increases spell resistance.

Now add in the 1 handed sword and shield traits + heavy armor and immovable. Nothing it cant tank.

Also with heavy armor, 1s/s, and undaunted being available to all their is no best tank.
    Edited by Teroh on April 9, 2014 10:21PM
    The Fallen Legion is Recruiting, Help us Retake Cryodiil! Message me for more information.
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In ESO, any class, any role (after you accumulate enough skill points). Think back more than ten years ago about Diablo II.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are completely viable at each role. Read different threads/guides.
    Edited by Vikova on April 10, 2014 4:04AM
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templars have the "Restoring Light" line which is basically all direct heals, so that's why. Every class can play any role though, and really the roles aren't strict.

In ESO each player should stand alone, yet complement each other.
    Edited by dietlime on April 10, 2014 5:40AM
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Shield / Purifying Light Templar can be a beast....Radiant Aura is extreme for Stamina.
  • LilBudyWizerub17_ESO
    I played as a Templar tank in beta and Dragon Knight since release. Personally, a Dragon Knight is definitely a better tank. I get a kick out of my Dragon Knight. I have no DPS, but I can't keep three mobs off balance. Farming mobs it's just funny to me. Give a frigging sorcerer heavy armor with sword and board and he's a tank too. The dragon knight is the one with the class skills to actually support the role though.
    My Guild - Anvil
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played as a Templar tank in beta and Dragon Knight since release. Personally, a Dragon Knight is definitely a better tank. I get a kick out of my Dragon Knight. I have no DPS, but I can't keep three mobs off balance. Farming mobs it's just funny to me. Give a frigging sorcerer heavy armor with sword and board and he's a tank too. The dragon knight is the one with the class skills to actually support the role though.

Both have class skills to support the role, it just depends on the style of tank you want to be.
  • Urnbak
    Urnbak

Thanks thats exactly what i was thinking, at the end of the day class or no class it all boils down to the skills you put points into other wise there would just be an open canvas ( here's 200 skills do what you want ) but they didn't they have given us 4 basic class types.
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The weapon of choice determines the role. The class just adds a note to it.
  • Urnbak
    Urnbak
    Here's a thought to throw at ya, could i make an orc knightblade and just wear heavy armour and only use a bow and still be viable??
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a thought to throw at ya, could i make an orc knightblade and just wear heavy armour and only use a bow and still be viable??

Viable yes. Efficient no. Heavy armor doesn't provide that much damage reduction that it's worth using as a DPS.

Better go with light or medium armor for the 5 piece bonus at least.
    Edited by ElliottXO on April 10, 2014 3:15PM
  • Urnbak
    Urnbak
    Then i'm not totally free to play as i want, unless i want to solo everything.
  • ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And I can't play my bare fists monk who shoots fireballs out of his ass dealing more damage than than molag bal himself. So I cannot play how I want either.

Every armor has it's purpose and provides best benefits for certain roles.

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to ignore the person responding with "viable, yes." You could absolutely be viable.

Can you move an entire house-worth of furniture piece by piece? Yes, you could. Is it the most efficient way to do it? No. But nobody is stopping you from doing it.
  • LilBudyWizerub17_ESO
    It's certainly a matter of style, it's playing a tank. A Templar, personally, isn't well suited to all out tank. When it comes to if it isn't mitigation and crowd control then you don't put points in it then you'll likely enjoy a Dragon Knight a whole lot more. You're far more viable, to me, as a tank and nothing but a tank. I didn't have the resolve to do it as a Templar. That, to me, says going tanking with a Templar is going off the beaten path.
    My Guild - Anvil
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    You could in theory use a bow as a tank, however, the kiting abilities of the bow don't always work on powerful creatures (snares knockbacks and stuns). I would say it will depend on the encounters you face at higher levels how viable it would be.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • MorHawk
    MorHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Come on mate, really. You expect ZOS to make a build that doesn't have good synergy viable?
    You could, for example, line your bar with stamina abilities then invest heavily into magicka. Do you really expect ZOS to somehow magically make a build like that work?
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how this turned into a disscussion about what is viable , which all classes can be , from what is the best.

I still keep my opinion , the BEST tank is the DK , while i agree , templar can also tank like @Teroh made quite clear.

Just because everyone can do a job , does not mean everyone is just as good doing it.
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Templar Tank and while I think we are more than capable to tank and probably just as good or almost as good as a DK tank , If i could restart Id roll a DK if tanking was my primary goal.

But since I tank and heal I think the synergy Templar brings to that is better than a dk tank /healer.

Also skill means more than class.

Also on a side note being a pure tank isn't always the best for every situation being able to tank and then switch weapons and offheal is more important some times than just being the best possible tank.
    Edited by Teroh on April 10, 2014 6:00PM
    The Fallen Legion is Recruiting, Help us Retake Cryodiil! Message me for more information.
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Distrobomb
    Distrobomb
    ✭✭✭
    Why be cliché if you don't have to be?
    I survived the great ESO launch disaster 2014 B)
  • pingupower
    pingupower
    Soul Shriven
    I'm still lvl 31 but here are my 2 cents. Both can tank. Dk is an impairment tank, reducing the dammage ennemis do. Templar is an endurance tank which can take it in. I love to tank, I have a rather low dps and few heals (well just my aura) but I can grt hit all day if I have a heal.

Another thing, probably more important: neither class has taunts so seord and shield seems a must have. I don't think the evasive capacities of medium armor or the spell resist of light can compensate the good old heavy armor. The most important thing to mitigate damage is to block attacks and get out of AE, whatever your other skills.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I recently made an Orc DK, it felt like the best combo for a tank, Orc for the passives, DK for the spells. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice? I know people will say all classes work because that's how zenimax designed it but I always go by the passives and skills that would be most beneficial.

Seeing people in th thread saying Templar is the better choice is making me regret my decision.
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭
    DK Tank is a great tank, with dark talons you can control large group of adds.

Templar tank is awesome due to higher spell resistance, able to purify yourself, buffs that increase healing received , armor and spell resistance etc.