The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Episode 2 'The Omen"

dagnome
dagnome
✭✭✭
Episode 2 “Omen”
The cold begins to grasp at my skin causing chills to run through my bones. “How much deeper into the earth do I need to crawl?” I keep asking myself as the endless tunnels continue to reveal themselves. The stench of rotting flesh is inescapable and the sound of shuffling remains echoes in the stone corridors. My armor, once bearing the signs of a respected Imperial captain, is now faded but the horrors of the past the armor has endured remain visible to my own eyes. Each footstep I take is one closer to madness, I have lost all track of time and direction, my destination is no longer known to me but I continue to walk.

Seconds feel like hours, hours slowly turn into years, and I can feel myself losing all sense of sanity. My stomach hungers, it hungers for something I cannot identify. I continue to walk down these halls of madness, and as I walk something catches my attention. It is a warm light at the end of a corridor. “I must be at the end.. this must be it.” I whisper to myself. As I begin to walk towards the light two shadowy figures can be seen on the opposing wall. One image appears to be someone in a cloak, while the other is a taller and appears to be dawning some form of armor. I continue to walk down the hallway, the chilled air no longer bothers me, the sounds I took notice to before no longer ring in my ears, I am now embraced in silence. I shuffle closer to the shadowy figures being projected by the light. I feel my legs begin to fall from under me and I quickly brace the wall for support, the figures on the wall stop moving, I can hear what appears to be whispering. “I need food” my brain tell me, my muscles agree with a painful response.

The light is so close now, it appears to be a torch of some kind. The taller individual wearing armor is bearing it. I can now notice the cloaked figure is kneeling at a chest attempting to open it. My muscles are weak, my steps are mere shambles now and the light is growing closer. “Help me” I say as the two figures are now within earshot. I cannot understand the words I am attempting to mutter, they come out as long moans. The figure with the torch quickly draws his dagger and turns around to address the noise he just heard. “Who is there?” He says with a quiver of fear in his voice.

My name is Dagnome…” I stop speaking as the noise coming from my mouth is a deep moan. A scent of something delicious catches my attention, the scent is what my body is craving for sustenance though I do not know exactly what it is. I begin to raise my hand towards the man, my arm is so light now. My muscles ache as I move closer. I can begin to feel the warmth of the torch in his hand, maybe this is the end to my torture.

As I take my final steps into the warm glow of the torch I can feel a pressure in my gut. As I look down to see what was pushing me back I see the glint of a metal handle protruding from my abdomen. Holding that blade in place was the man with the torch. My eyes slowly move up the reach his, the look on his face was that of terror. I raise my hand into the light and see my flesh has been torn to shreds. What has replaced my skin is now white, cold and lifeless. I can feel no blood, no warmth dripping from my wound. The delicious scent is so potent now, and it is coming from him. Like a wild animal I grab his shoulder and bring his neck towards my mouth. I can feel my teeth sink into his flesh, I can feel the warm blood and meat fill my mouth, My stomach aches with anticipation of the meal to come. With one bite I sever the man's throat, I hear the air leave his lungs as he falls to the ground. His companion, a young girl hidden behind a cloak stares in terror. The torch falls to the floor, the light dims in the corridors and the wet floor shines like diamonds. The blood of my victim slowly pools in the water, clouding the clear liquid. I look down and catch my reflection in the water, and what I see does not resemble a man.

My face is unrecognizable, where my eyes used to be are now soulless black voids, fresh blood drips from my mouth and stains my rotting white flesh red. My armor is rusted, and the symbols of my status within the imperial ranks are no longer recognizable. I can feel the cavity where my heart used to be begin to pound, my mind begins to scream in anger and disgust.

As if in a moment I can feel warmth return to me. My eyes shoot open and my heart is racing. I quickly lift my hand under the light of a fire, normal. No scars of battle, no white lifeless flesh plagues my skin. My horse shuffles at my fear. I can feel the blood ripping through my veins, I am alive. My memories are fresh, it was only a dream. As I regain myself, I begin to pack up my campsite. I begin to place dirt over the fire, as the light is extinguished the stars begin to shine through the trees. Looking up at the beautiful midnight sky I find Isaela. Her glow is as bright as always. I mount my horse and begin to ride east towards Morrowind, Maybe the priests there will know what this dream means to a soulless man who has nothing left to lose. I shall continue my journey to whatever ends it takes me, I shall provide the people who deserve it, the protection they so need. May the light of Isaela guide me, and may she know that I will never let her sleep alone.
Edited by dagnome on April 21, 2014 12:05AM