Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pros/Cons of being a Vampire/Werewolf and How To Become One

Gedalya
Gedalya
✭✭✭✭✭
What are the pros and cons of being a vampire or werewolf? Also which quests initiate this trait?

Having played Skyrim and Oblivion I recall significant cons for being a vampire (Oblivion notably).
Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cons? Two words: Silver Bolts

Nothing like taking down an Emperor in Cyrodiil who is a known vampire with two nicely timed shots of Silver Bolts. Not once, but twice in a row!
    :D
  • Rosebloome
    Rosebloome
    ✭✭
    Cons: At the moment Pack Leader ( Morph of werewolf transformation. ) Is bugged 6 ways to sunday. It will randomly reset you in the middle of transformation back to human form with no werewolf world skill line exp after. Only way to fix is cancelling the transformation early by hitting R again. Its compeltely random too.
  • Karaena_Aedoth
    SirAndy wrote: »

Nothing like taking down an Emperor in Cyrodiil who is a known vampire with two nicely timed shots of Silver Bolts. Not once, but twice in a row!

Yeah..sure...
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    This is probably the most thorough Vampire tutorial:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/64065/lycanthropy-and-vampirism-in-progress-update-2-4-2-14#latest

The consensus seems to be, there is no net benefit in PvE and it is actually a liability in PvP. You will become vulnerable to very common damage types in the game. The only real reason to become one is RP purposes.

Which is really how it should be. They are curses after all.
    Edited by SadisticSavior on April 9, 2014 6:17PM
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you have it for your character, can you have it cured?
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah..sure...
    You had to be there, it was a epic fight and i was able to finish him off with silver bolts both times.
    ;-)
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    Its a cute RP toy in PVE, maybe gives a small bonus but nothing special. Then in PVP it can be a major disadvantage if your opponent is using the fighter guild powers and passives.
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭
    Pros of being a Werewolf:
    1) Transformation is cool
    2) Quest line was fun due to being involved with Hircine.
    3) The Ability pounce is fun to use and you do run extremely fast

Cons of Being a Werewolf
    1) Ultimate cost way to high. 900+ ultimate for around 30 seconds of WW time without buffs
    2) Unable to break out of any form of cc as a WW in WW form. Like being able to hold block then click to use stamina to break out of cc? well good luck doing that as a WW
    3) Due to number 2, WW is a liability in PVE and PVP and will get you killed
    4) No way to heal outside of using potions which makes no sense that you can even us potions...
    5) Pounce is bugged. Use it then move to close and you will get stuck in the crouching position unable to attack untill your WW form Ends
    6) 50% increased Poison Damage and Vulnerable to Fighter Guild abilites.
    7) Ultimate Transformation Pact Leader buged
    8 ) Damage loss due to losing high damage class/weapon skills. Minor heavy attack and light attack damage bonus does not make up for this.
    Edited by Teroh on April 9, 2014 7:34PM
    The Fallen Legion is Recruiting, Help us Retake Cryodiil! Message me for more information.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    Once you have it for your character, can you have it cured?
    Yes. I think multiple times. There is a quest to get rid of it if you don't want it.

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pros: you think it is cool and find it fun.

Cons: everything else. AKA, death in PvP.
  • liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vampire and Werewolf are great for single and small encounters.

But once you start to get into group/aoe encounters... you end up going down hard.

Now... you can tactically plan for that if you have a good group... your werewolves and vampires stay back from the fight and locate targets that seem to be out of the fray and hammering people with AoE Fire/Fighters Guild abilities.

Those people tend to stand out, and can be taken down fairly quickly. Once those guys are down, you can jump in and hammer what remains of the mob.

... I've only seen this work a few times, though. Most massive encounters that werewolves and vampires get destroyed in tend to be too uncontrollable and unplanned.

But I have seen vampires and werewolves hold out against 5 people who were not using Fire/Fighters Guild abilities.

It is a tradeoff that seems to go from AWESOME to FAIL and back again. The people that make it work swear by it.
    Edited by liquid_wolf on April 9, 2014 8:12PM
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭
    Vampire and Werewolf are great for single and small encounters.

But once you start to get into group/aoe encounters... you end up going down hard.

Now... you can tactically plan for that if you have a good group... your werewolves and vampires stay back from the fight and locate targets that seem to be out of the fray and hammering people with AoE Fire/Fighters Guild abilities.

Those people tend to stand out, and can be taken down fairly quickly. Once those guys are down, you can jump in and hammer what remains of the mob.

... I've only seen this work a few times, though. Most massive encounters that werewolves and vampires get destroyed in tend to be too uncontrollable and unplanned.

But I have seen vampires and werewolves hold out against 5 people who were not using Fire/Fighters Guild abilities.

It is a tradeoff that seems to go from AWESOME to FAIL and back again. The people that make it work swear by it.

Werewolves are terrible for PVP altogether. You can be stun locked forever even without Fighter guild abilities. If it ever works its because the WW is fighting someone completely oblivious to how pvp works.

No Experience with Vamps but WW do not excel in any area of the game.
    The Fallen Legion is Recruiting, Help us Retake Cryodiil! Message me for more information.
  • liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Teroh wrote: »
    Werewolves are terrible for PVP altogether. You can be stun locked forever even without Fighter guild abilities. If it ever works its because the WW is fighting someone completely oblivious to how pvp works.

Screenshots and Video or it didn't happen.

I mean seriously... what do you want to do? Argue about it? The OP can take my information and choose to run with it or not.

I'm Right. You're Right. We are both wrong. Whatever.

Just tell people what you know, and what you have experienced and move on.
  • Madae
    Madae
    ✭✭

I figured that would be a problem for those in PvP. I was interested in becoming vampire for awhile, but now I'm starting to think the cool thing to do would be to skip it completely. I have enough skills to spend points in, anyway... don't need more of them.
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭
    Teroh wrote: »

Screenshots and Video or it didn't happen.

I mean seriously... what do you want to do? Argue about it? The OP can take my information and choose to run with it or not.

I'm Right. You're Right. We are both wrong. Whatever.

Just tell people what you know, and what you have experienced and move on.

LVL 4 VR1 Werewolf , know from personal experience. Take it as you will.

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Madae wrote: »

I figured that would be a problem for those in PvP. I was interested in becoming vampire for awhile, but now I'm starting to think the cool thing to do would be to skip it completely. I have enough skills to spend points in, anyway... don't need more of them.

If you find it fun, then there is nothing wrong with doing it just for the fun/cool factor. Just be aware of the mechanic downside going in. Because ya know, it's a curse.
  • mcatchlovb16_ESO
    mcatchlovb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The consensus seems to be, there is no net benefit in PvE

This is completely false. I can only speak as a Vampire but it is super powerful in PVE. I virtually can not die to a NPC.
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭

This is completely false. I can only speak as a Vampire but it is super powerful in PVE. I virtually can not die to a NPC.

wish it was the same for WW :(

• PrissAssigirib16_ESO
    how to do the vamp quest if your low lvl:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVWfaQlHHyk

VAMP IS AWSOME!!!! MUST FEEEEEEDDDD
  • Gelston
    Gelston
    ✭✭✭
    Vamp is great for PvE against humanoids. You can regain all your health and freeze a mob with the click of a button. Stay out of fire though.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The downsides of vamping is huge for PvP, which is what I think people are griping about.
  • m12d12_ESO
    m12d12_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    My son is a Vamp. He has made his armor and jewelry to offset his weakness. He is virtually unbeatable; in any sense so far. His Ultimate wipes everything out. Plus he is a Templar so he has awesome heals. He is also a level 49 so that helps too.
    Accts
    mdzone5 cp 1051
    fragtaster cp 684
    lilly65 cp 652
    Almalexia 212
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭

Having finally played as a Vampire, I can't really agree. It might prevent you from dying as much, but I can already do that by simply avoiding all enemies completely...never entering combat I can avoid death 100% of the time, even as a non-vampire.

It is not making it easier to beat NPCs necessarily. Just safer.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they add some more lore-friendly "cons" when the justice system is implemented. I liked how, in Morrowind, if you entered a town in Werewolf form the guards would attack you. Or if you did anything vampiric in their immediate vicinity the guards would, again, chase you out of town.

Right now it's just like, hey, new cool abilities; without any of the downsides (except in PVP).
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vampires are NOT gods in PvE, it is all the player, not the abilities.

You can only "feed" on a mob once, this includes sneaking up on them to lower your vamp level.

Right now I am only a level 7 vamp (really curious to see how the reduced penalties for health regen at level 8 will play out). The damage reduction, and other "nice" stuff is fine. Since I play a sorcerer, I dont really have any healing abilities like the other 3 classes, so Vampire does help me out in that department.

But like most mobs out there, you can kill them faster with other abilities, so you dont have to worry about your health anyways. Against bosses, you can only heal the once. If you are lucky they will have weak minions you can feed off of, which helps both werewolf and vampire alike.

Why am I vampire when I have to deal with all the downsides? Because it adds another element to my character. I might just get cured when I get to level 10 and go be a werewolf to level that up too.
  • Beldorr
    Beldorr
    ✭✭✭
    I was level 10 vampire and didn't really find it that useful for endgame. I cured it after the patch last night since I wanted to see the changes. I suggest that anyone leveling try it out. It will give you great insight on how to kill other vamps if anything. High spell resist with a fire resist ring made the fire weakness more of just of an annoyance rather than a death wish.
    • 10% regen stats are okay, but it’s so easy to overcharge those anyway it doesn't provide much.
    • The "50%" damage reduction isn't that great. I tested a mud crab hitting me for 100 at full health, when I was down to 300 hp it was hitting me for 83. So if it’s capped some place with armor you don’t get the full benefit from the passive
    • My health regen was 16 at stage 4 with the regen traits which is still 1/2 non-vampire.
    • The only passive I think that is worth it is level 10 stalker. It’s extremely fast at sneaking. However, cloak + concealed weapon on Nightblade is just as fast and if you're not in combat the magicka regen is really good to keep it going for 20-30 seconds (caster NB)
    • As for the vampire abilities, the poison mist is really bad. It was doing 100 poison damage every 1.5 seconds so there goes the viability of any decent aoe damage. Elusive mist is good for getting away so if you need the escape I recommend as long as you don’t get bashed out of it.
    • Drain is really good pve for leveling, except its useless on anything with cc immunity. In pvp it’s usually broken out of and I found it to be lackluster. I don’t think it can be used on someone blocking if I recall since they are immune to CC while blocking
    • The ultimate is really good but I still don’t think the ultimate + stalker passive is worth the 50% fire weakness and the fighter’s guild skills. I didn’t normally run into to many silver leash users, but if you were to kill someone repeatedly and they get to know you, you’ll start seeing fighter’s guild skills coming out.
    Here is my stats post cure. 7/7 light armor NB w/Health-Magicka food. http://imgur.com/kQCBLnX
  • GeeYouWhy
    GeeYouWhy
    ✭✭✭
    I am holding onto my Vampirism for the stealth speed buff which allows me to move at run speed while crouch stealthing.
    Konrandir, Vampire Sorcerer
  • Chims
    Chims
    ✭✭✭
    They should really fix poison mist. It has the potential to be a great skill.
  • Shyrith
    Shyrith
    Poison Mist is broken?

I've been a vampire since level 26 and am VR1 now. It did definitely take some time getting used to, but I do love it. For PVE. Haven't tried PVP yet. I can imagine it really is terrible there, though.

The only vampire ability I really use though is the drain.