Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Dangerous Attitude Among ESO Forum Goers

Schurge
Schurge
✭✭
What I see a lot of here, whenever someone complains about something, has an odd playstyle, or questions design choices in ESO is people saying it doesn't matter, these people will quit after the first free month and the game will be better for it.

I've got news for you, when the population of an MMO immediately declines after the first free month things rarely turn around and the game slowly dies or goes F2P which is sort of a living death. EVE was an anomaly in that it didn't do well at first and then later had a solid population that supported it.

I am not saying Zenimax should add arenas or go against certain core design decisions like increasing the number of abilities you can slot but telling people who want these things that they will leave after the free month anyway and the game will be better for it is not constructive.

The roleplayers and immersion fanatics are the worst offenders. You may think you are better then everyone else because your Argonian has a lore appropriate name but the game will not be better off if everyone with a silly name leaves in a month. I would rather play with someone named "Brad Pitt" then you any day.

And maybe, just maybe, some of their suggestions would actually make the game better like toggleable nameplates that disappear when crouched or lifting addon restrictions that allow players to actually know what is going on. I've yet to see a legitimate argument against the implementation of an Auction House. Most of you don't know how they work in other games.

People need to be encouraged to stay a little longer and give the game more of a chance. I hated the game in Beta. I only bought the game because I thought maybe max level PvP would redeem it. It seemed like a WoW clone with terrible combat in beta. Come launch neither of these things are any longer true. I am enjoying questing for the first time since Tabula Rasa (I hate PvE) and the PvP in a word, is awesome. To bad it won't be worth doing 'till max level. The combat is worlds better then it was too.

This game is a good game. I think it has the best PvP since Warhammer and the best PvE since Tabula Rasa. Some changes need to be made, some changes shouldn't be made. You will like some of them and some of them you won't like. One thing is for sure, the game won't be better off if everyone who plays or thinks differently then you leaves in a month.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sir, Tabula Rasa was a complete and total flop.

I have to say Defiance did a much better job.

And I for one cannot wait until the free month is over with. Then I can see how the community will really be.

Can you post here without an account?
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hawke wrote: »

Hope not, will save us a lot of headaches :P
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And I for one cannot wait until the free month is over with. Then I can see how the community will really be.

Hell, hopefully not, otherwise we would have waited a month for nothing.
    The locusts and tourists leave anyway, that's already been accounted for. This game isn't targeted at them or wowkiddies.
    OP I understand your point but some people can't be 'saved'. One thing is being angry for bugs or downtime, other being angry because this game is not like WOW

Minus 25....
    Edited by mutharex on April 9, 2014 2:46PM
  • Schurge
    Schurge
    ✭✭

This is a little bit off topic. I didn't play Defiance. Tabula Rasa was a flop but it had great PVE with the truly dynamic AI, the NPC sieges on quest hubs, etc. The game would still be around if it had gotten any support after launch, there was no real PvP and post-level 30 there was no real content.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do like the idea that people telling others to quit on a forum is going to actually make them do so. People will play or not because of the game, not because of posts on a forum.
  • thedemiseraphb14_ESO
    I had a beta account, and keep up with the forums. I do not have a launch account as I'm waiting for the console game. I can still post. This is where I keep up with how the game is doing.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    I do like the idea that people telling others to quit on a forum is going to actually make them do so. People will play or not because of the game, not because of posts on a forum.

yeah, it's the typical childish excuse: they are going to quit anyway but they have a go and try to get what they want, if they don't they leave. it's got nothing to do with people telling them to go away....
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nevermind the fact that this is the "New Player Questions" forum, not the "What I don't like about the game" forum.
  • Schurge
    Schurge
    ✭✭

I don't think anybody is going to quit over scrubs on the forums. But I do think this attitude need to change that the game will be better off if half of the population leaves. One person said they don't care how many people play the game as long as it is enough to keep it from going F2P, well, I would rather have one million players then one hundred thousand.
  • KidKablam
    KidKablam
    ✭✭✭
    What the other poster said about "some people can't be saved."

Honestly, I wouldn't be frustrated with the whiners if they stated their case constructively, didn't start multiple new threads on the same topic, didn't get into pityful begging for reimbursement or threaten when they don't get their way, and didn't attack anyone who disagrees with them calling them "fanboys" or so.

And when they inevitably threaten to leave because they don't get what they want, what should we say but "okay, bye. Have fun."?
    Edited by KidKablam on April 9, 2014 2:53PM
  • Schurge
    Schurge
    ✭✭
    Nevermind the fact that this is the "New Player Questions" forum, not the "What I don't like about the game" forum.

This is basically the General Discussions forum, this setup is terrible.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It will for sure help a lot.

If you are already pissed about some problem in the game and come talk about it , meeting with fanboys being offensive and acting like zealots usually pisses you off that extra mile that makes you quit.

Well , i do enjoy the game , but it is nothing im going to miss if it goes F2P , so people can bash at each other for all i care :P.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rather have 500K without people asking for minimaps or nerfs because content is 'too hard'... but I think you are underestimating the number of people who play this game BECAUSE it doesn't have that wow crap
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Schurge wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is going to quit over scrubs on the forums. But I do think this attitude need to change that the game will be better off if half of the population leaves. One person said they don't care how many people play the game as long as it is enough to keep it from going F2P, well, I would rather have one million players then one hundred thousand.

If "half the population" truly believes what some of these whine threads I've seen believe, the other half will quit just so they can stop hearing the noise.

Usually it's just a vocal minority who fear change or going outside their comfort zone and lash out instead of adapting. Whether they eventually adapt to what the game IS or quit because it isn't what they want it to be, time will tell. Whether that ends up hurting the game, time will also tell.

I will tell you what I've definitely seen hurt games though - kneejerk design changes to please vocal minorities that cause the silent majority to quit the game they loved.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. The moment ANY of that crap enters TESO even as an option, people will leave in droves and never trust ZOS again, not even F2P will save it!

You see? I can do baseless fear mongering too! Except, this is true
    Edited by mutharex on April 9, 2014 2:57PM
  • Schurge
    Schurge
    ✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    Yep. The moment ANY of that crap enters TESO even as an option, people will leave in droves and never trust ZOS again, not even F2P will save it!

What are you talking about?
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The roleplayers and immersion fanatics are the worst offenders. You may think you are better then everyone else because your Argonian has a lore appropriate name but the game will not be better off if everyone with a silly name leaves in a month. I would rather play with someone named "Brad Pitt" then you any day.
    So you think being gratuitously offensive is a 'constructive' way to proceed, do you?

• Kiash
    Kiash
    ✭✭✭
    I rather have 500K without people asking for minimaps or nerfs because content is 'too hard'... but I think you are underestimating the number of people who play this game BECAUSE it doesn't have that wow crap

Agreed, the game is much better off without the hand holding that every other game out there does right now. There is no reason to make ESO another FPS kiddie arena based PvP nightmare with the community of your average 6th grade class at recess.

Wait till after the first month and then the community is going to improve tremendously, mark my words.

• Schurge
    Schurge
    ✭✭

If "half the population" truly believes what some of these whine threads I've seen believe, the other half will quit just so they can stop hearing the noise.

Usually it's just a vocal minority who fear change or going outside their comfort zone and lash out instead of adapting. Whether they eventually adapt to what the game IS or quit because it isn't what they want it to be, time will tell. Whether that ends up hurting the game, time will also tell.

I will tell you what I've definitely seen hurt games though - kneejerk design changes to please vocal minorities that cause the silent majority to quit the game they loved.

I said in my original post that I am not saying a bunch of drastic changes need to be made. Just that the attitude that people should just leave is not a good one.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you talking about?

Life, Universe and Everything
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole situation would be immensely easier if they left the New Player Questions section for...new player questions. Let there be a separate general discussion category for people to whine in.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    So you think being gratuitously offensive is a 'constructive' way to proceed, do you?

When you see a thread like this, you can already tell where it's heading....
  • Kiash
    Kiash
    ✭✭✭

I said in my original post that I am not saying a bunch of drastic changes need to be made. Just that the attitude that people should just leave is not a good one.

I just have have to disagree with this. If the game isn't for you by choice of their design you should leave imo, you won't be happy playing something you don't enjoy when there are other games out there that do what people want, whether it be arenas or easier PvE content.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kiash wrote: »
    I just have have to disagree with this. If the game isn't for you by choice of their design you should leave imo, you won't be happy playing something you don't enjoy when there are other games out there that do what people want, whether it be arenas or easier PvE content.

This. Certain people will leave regardless. Them ranting about game style and intentional design functions regarding a game that clearly doesn't fit their playstyle doesn't do anything but make them feel superior before they finally leave.
  • Schurge
    Schurge
    ✭✭
    Kiash wrote: »

I can see what you are saying up to a certain point. But not everyone who complains is upset with the core of the game, they just want slight changes. And what about those who say everyone with a silly name should quit because it ruins their immersion. This is an MMO for goodness' sake.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dont even see anyone's name unless I group with them or they talk in chat.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As owner of a khajit called Two Tails I gonna say I am all for silly names!
    But that's not the core of the problem
    The core is, devs have a 'vision' about how this game should be, a lot of people (mostly TES fans) bought into it and if they now start to turn it into a wowclone, they will all leave.

Listening to feedback is a double edged sword, like the whole "let's make tutorial islands optional" fiasco showed
    Edited by mutharex on April 9, 2014 3:09PM
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see what you are saying up to a certain point. But not everyone who complains is upset with the core of the game, they just want slight changes. And what about those who say everyone with a silly name should quit because it ruins their immersion. This is an MMO for goodness' sake.

If this thread is about people exploding on polite requests for improvements, then ok. But that doesn't happen nearly as much as vitriol filled "THE GAME NEEDS THIS" posts which get the predictable responses.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PUT AN AH IN GAME OR THE GAME WILL DIEEEEEEEEE F2P in 2 MONTHS!

yep, polite people...
    ah I forgot the "delusional rabid fanbois" title you get if you even slightly disagree or point out that this game isn't a wowclone and it's not supposed to be

Edited by mutharex on April 9, 2014 3:11PM
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who loves the idea of no auction house?