The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Provisioner Hireling - Useless?

Catches_the_Sun
Catches_the_Sun
✭✭✭✭✭
I made level 50 Provisioner a few days ago & I put a skill point in the first Hireling. After 4 mails from my hireling, I received 1 garlic, 1 snowberry, 1 salt & 1 jazberry grape. Is this some kind of joke? I can walk anywhere in Tamriel & loot any sack/barrel/crate/basket & get a lot more than that with about 5 minutes of effort.

I'm not trying to be negative here. Serious question. Is there even a chance of getting anything good from your Provisioner hireling? There are no rare components like the other crafts. My logic was that since the Provisioner hireling unlocked at a higher level than the rest, maybe it was worth unlocking...maybe he sent you stacks of ingredients, or multiple ingredients, or recipes that he found in his travels. My first 4 mails indicate it is the worst use of a skill point that I have found yet.
Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • killedbyping
    killedbyping
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol dude, you got juked. :D
    I was wondering who and why would invest anything into provisioning other that lvl of recipes skill.
    Do hireling bring some "Rare" materials which used to create purple recipes and can hardly be found in the world ?
    No we all know that it isnt, thx for sharing knowledge.
  • Howitczar
    Howitczar
    Sry wasn't awake yet :(
    Edited by Howitczar on April 7, 2014 1:00PM
  • killedbyping
    killedbyping
    ✭✭✭✭
    Howitczar wrote: »
    I have tier 3 hirelings for clothier and they brought we 4 blue to purple upgrade bits with some other stuff. I also had two points in woodworking and blacksmithing which net me good loot including purple to yellow upgrade bits.

Definitely worth the points in my opinion.

Hirelings for BS, Wood and Tailor are fine, but we here speaking of Hireling for Provisioning.
    There is no upgrades for food, only regular mats which can be found anywere in the world. You dont even need to raise your adventurer level to find some high level mats, they are location dependant (not speaking of recipes, they are adventurer level dependant).

And provisioning hireling appears to be a huge Juke for those who accidenlty waste a skill point for it :D
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    A hireling for provisioner is a joke since most boxes I find after hitting the 5's (level 5, 10, etc) in provisioner contain items that match what my max recipe value is. I can't see putting any points in for that.
  • Lupinemw
    Lupinemw
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see a use either, especially considering how high your stat has to be before you get one.

If you need help by then your in deep :neutral_face:
    Elysium
    EU Casual Mature Daggerfall Covenant Guild

Would you like to know more?! Check us out below
    elysium-eso.guildlaunch.com
  • Destabilizator
    I think purple recipes need certain not so easy to get ingredient (maybe from other alliances' lands?), I remember someone trying to find Tomato and something else that I don't remember....
    Still, even if the hireling could send you such things, chances are slim, considering all the options it has.
    Vertor et revertor.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think purple recipes need certain not so easy to get ingredient (maybe from other alliances' lands?), I remember someone trying to find Tomato and something else that I don't remember....
    Still, even if the hireling could send you such things, chances are slim, considering all the options it has.

Let's say that even the highest level purple recipes needed rare ingredients...and your hireling has a "chance" of bringing you 1. You're able to use that ingredient to cook 4 (if you have all your points for food/beverage) of said recipe. That's 8 hours of adventuring buffs. In comparison, the blacksmith, clothier, & woodworker get rare upgrade components with the corresponding upgraded item lasting them forever.

Lupinemw wrote: »
    I can't see a use either, especially considering how high your stat has to be before you get one.

If you need help by then your in deep :neutral_face:

Completely agree. I guess I was hoping that it wasn't working as intended. In it's current form, it is a complete waste.

Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    I have 50 provisioning also and 2 points in hireling, it still sucks. Although, for whatever reason, my hireling gave me a green armor yesterday, lol what?
  • killedbyping
    killedbyping
    ✭✭✭✭
    jmido8 wrote: »
    I have 50 provisioning also and 2 points in hireling, it still sucks. Although, for whatever reason, my hireling gave me a green armor yesterday, lol what?

Say whaaaaaaaaat ?
  • jmido8
    jmido8
    ✭✭✭
    jmido8 wrote: »

Say whaaaaaaaaat ?

Yeah, it was actually decent for my level too.
  • omy_mkeb17_ESO
    Provisioning hireling sends rare ingredients (salt, pepper, garlic, onion, potato, etc) that are rare drops and nedeed for receipes that boost 2 or 3 stats. There is nothing wrong with it.
  • MichaelShimmel
    currently it is not worth it as you can find the items it gives in 15 minutes of running around town or out adventuring. ( I would assume the green armor is a bug.) they need to up the return to make it worth wile, or include recopies to the mix (not sure I am behind the addition of recipes to the hireling though.)
  • wllstrt75b14_ESO
    wllstrt75b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how you think hirelings are fine? They are useless, 3 iron or 3 steel a day is just pointless. Now im not far and dont make purple items but seriously 3 steel a day from a hireling is a waste.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Provisioning hireling sends rare ingredients (salt, pepper, garlic, onion, potato, etc) that are rare drops and nedeed for receipes that boost 2 or 3 stats. There is nothing wrong with it.

Are you going to be online tonight? I have a stack of 50 potatos I'd like to trade with you for 50 Legendary tempers. Hit me up.

• radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hirelings would be good if they had a chance to mail a level or +1 level recipe instead of a measly head of garlic or something.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radiostar wrote: »
    Hirelings would be good if they had a chance to mail a level or +1 level recipe instead of a measly head of garlic or something.

I completely agree. My point in starting this thread was initially to learn if I was just having some bad luck & hadn't received anything good from my Hireling and to learn if it is working as intended. As I read through these posts, it is apparent that they are working as intended, but they just suck...for lack of a better term.

As to the gentlemen that replied that they are working fine because they give you salt/pepper/garlic/onion, etc...I don't understand this logic at all. Anybody can loot those things anywhere. I feel like there is a major imbalance here with Provisioner hirelings. Here are some thoughts as to why I feel this way:

1. I can start a character right now, skip the tutorial, zone into the game & start looting these ingredients immediately.

2. Nobody can ever "loot" the different upgrade components that hirelings send to blacksmiths/tailors/woodworkers. Nobody is going to open a sack in the tavern basement & find a Legendary temper.

3. Provisioner hirelings have a higher level requirement than the other crafting hirelings. This just compounds the problem & makes the issue more confusing.

4. Provisioner hirelings are very imbalanced in comparison to other classes. For example, you can level a character to 3 Blacksmith, put a point in Hireling & start receiving tempers with a chance at Legendary tempers, or you can level a character to 28 Provisioner, put a point in Hireling & have a chance to receive 1 random ingredient that anybody can loot in sacks/crates/barrels/baskets. Our investment is 25 levels higher & our return is much much lower.

5. Receiving 1 ingredient, no matter how rare, isn't enough to be meaningful. If you're not going to add other meaningful items to the Hirelings bag, at least give us multiple ingredients or multiples of an ingredient or both. Again to compare to Blacksmith/Tailors/Woodworkers...they are making durable goods, while we are making consumables. I would like to have more out of my hireling than what I can find in every building & dungeon crate in Tamriel.

I guess what I would like to hear from my fellow Provisioners is what SHOULD it look like? Below are some suggestions:

1. Recipes: I love to read the stories that the hirelings send along with their bag of goods. Would envision reading one where my hireling visited some old hermit or an Inn, or some such...and ate the most ridiculously good bowl of mudcrab soup he had ever encountered...he talked (stole, coerced) the recipe out of them & included it in the package along with one set of ingredients to make a batch & see for myself.

2. Stacks: This one is simple. Instead of 1 garlic, you'd get multiple ingredients & get them in stacks of 3-5, or something that makes it more meaningful.

3. Fire the Hireling: This is the more drastic approach. Get rid of the Hireling line altogether & replace it with something else, such as a "Master Gatherer" type skill. With this skill, when you loot a sack, instead of getting 1 or 2 provisioning ingredients, you'd get 2 or 3.
  • LadyLothi
    LadyLothi
    ✭✭✭
    Although I feel sorry for the OP, I'm glad someone made that experience before me.

As for the question of what should be changed:

1. Multiple ingredients would be one of the things that would make this worthwhile, but only for the more rare ingredients.

2. There should be recipies that can - albeit rarely - only be received through a hireling.
    "It's easy, a child of five could do it. Unfortunately, we don't have a child of five, so I have to walk YOU through it." Abnur Tharn <3
  • NicoleOnyxheart
    I also agree the provisioning hireling needs a buff; it's the only one of the hirelings that doesn't give multiple items.

the others give better mats as you level, and have a good chance for finding rare/epic/legendary upgrading mats...hirelings should also find you recipes every now and again, green through purple (are there legendary recipes does anyone know?), as well as sending you a sack of level appropriate groceries (after all the hireling says they're getting you groceries...which alludes to a large purchase of multiple items...not one bunch of grapes, or a single clove of garlic......)
  • Archellion
    Mine brought me an onion on the first day. Totally worth the skill point, IMO.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Archellion wrote: »
    Mine brought me an onion on the first day. Totally worth the skill point, IMO.

I can't tell if you're serious. I can make a quick run around any town and end up with multiple salt, pepper, garlic, onion, potato, concord grapes, snowberries, etc. It takes less than 10 minutes & costs nothing more than your time. Your results vary, but I will get some of the more rare ingredients every time.
  • Brennan
    Brennan
    ✭✭✭

Garlics come in cloves, not "heads". :)

ED: I believe they are also referred to as bulbs.

Edited by Brennan on April 10, 2014 3:51PM
  • Archellion
    I can't tell if you're serious. I can make a quick run around any town and end up with multiple salt, pepper, garlic, onion, potato, concord grapes, snowberries, etc. It takes less than 10 minutes & costs nothing more than your time. Your results vary, but I will get some of the more rare ingredients every time.

Semi-serious. I open just about every trunk, nightstand, wardrobe, basket, crate, crates, barrel, barrels, sack or sack I run across and can find a veritable cornucopia of Provisioning ingredients. However, most of them I don't even want. I'm mainly interested in the three components that make the food I'm eating. One of those (the Stock Jus) I can purchase from a vendor, and the Beef is super common, but those damn Onions...
    Edited by Archellion on April 10, 2014 4:56PM
  • andrantos
    andrantos
    ✭✭✭
    If I sent my partner to the market and she came back with a garlic... As opposed to enough things to make at least a meal...
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been deleting onions because I have nothing to put them in and they eat bag space.
  • dumbo
    dumbo
    I haven't levelled provisioning - but my L1 woodwork hireling brings me precisely 3 raw beech logs every day. I think someone has a sick sense of humour :(.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm mainly interested in the three components that make the food I'm eating.

I didn't pick up this profession solely to supply my own personal food & drink. Maybe that's why 1 onion sounds good to you but sounds terrible to me. To make the comparison to Blacksmith hireling again...what would you be willing to trade for 1 onion? A Honing Sone, maybe a Dwarven Oil...Legendary tempers?
  • OptimisticCabbage
    OptimisticCabbage
    Soul Shriven
    Brennan wrote: »

Garlics come in cloves, not "heads". :)

ED: I believe they are also referred to as bulbs.

A head of garlic is the entire bulb-like thing; a clove is one section of that bulb, like the slices of an orange.

:)
  • Archellion
    I didn't pick up this profession solely to supply my own personal food & drink. Maybe that's why 1 onion sounds good to you but sounds terrible to me. To make the comparison to Blacksmith hireling again...what would you be willing to trade for 1 onion? A Honing Sone, maybe a Dwarven Oil...Legendary tempers?
    Well, I would love it if my Hireling came back with a bushel of Onions.

I don't know if it's fair to compare Provisioning (or even Enchanting) hirelings to Blacksmith ones, though - those professions are very different from each other. Still, for a skill point you can only use every 24 hours, there is some room for improvement.
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if it's fair to compare Provisioning (or even Enchanting) hirelings to Blacksmith ones, though - those professions are very different from each other. Still, for a skill point you can only use every 24 hours, there is some room for improvement.

IMO, if they cost the same skill point investment, it is fair to compare the two. In fact, Provisioning has a higher investment if you count the minimum skill requirement for you to pick up a Hireling...level 28 Provisioning vs level 3 Smithing.

• copito
    copito
    ✭✭✭
    reached 50 on provisioning and added all 3 skill points to hireling today . In 10 hours gonna post what he gathered