Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Castle of the Worm help.

• AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Level 200?

Well, I don't know what level those skeletons are actually at, but it sure as hell can't be level 20!!!

• Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I noticed last time I went in there I attacked one, two more hit me. Both casters and a melee. Other berserker hit Lyris, but still sucked.

And if it wasnt 2330 Id invite you to my voice server to vent frustration.
  • Meogi
    Meogi
    well, I managed after a couple of attempts thanks to the tip about focus on casters.
    Level 20 firebug here (Templer) + I wear three pieces of warlock set (green) to have the bonus+ upgraded silverbolts to hit several targets.

It's doable at lvl 20, if you have issues, I say try to evaluate what you need, more magic / other skills? Go out and get it, and come back, the feeling when you steamroll those pesky casters and their bony friends is so much more sweet :D
  • Xaei
    Xaei
    ✭✭✭
    Start the fight and each wave on the opposite side of Lyris so she picks half the aggro. Always kill the mages first, use silver bolts to keep them locked down.

Kite the melees around whilst you're killing them mages, and don't engage with any mobs that Lyris has aggro on, you'll get overhwelmed. Keep moving or Mannimarco hits you with chains.
  • AdeusObsidiusCorvus
    This was a pain. I'm a lvl 23 sorc. After being pummelled several times I eventually beat the SOB by going into sneak straight away while he prattles at Abnur at the start just before the skelly's spawn. I picked a pillar behind him crouched right next to the forcefield. Lyris will engage the skelly nearest her. Wait. The others will look for you but not see you and they'll return to their positions. Attack Lyris' opponent with a ranged ability. Both of you should take him down easily. Re stealth. Range attack the next one - Lyris will now attack this mob. And repeat. Just remember to re stealth especially before the second and third waves. The last wave with the large mob will see you and attack but Lyris will pile in. Run then hit stealth again. He will be drawn by Lyris' aggro. Heal up if you have to then restart ranged attacks. A few skellys will spawn around the main mob at intervals but keep re stealthing then attacking from range and you should be able to do it. Abnur then helps to deal with Mannimarco.
    Adeus Obsidius Corvus Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant,
    Adeus Obsidius Infernus Sorceror Daggerfall Covenant,
    Adeus Obsidius Daemonus Templar Daggerfall Covenant.
    Adeus Obsidius Draconis Dragonknight Ebonheart Pact,
    Verus Incendus Daedrus Nightblade Ebonheart Pact,
    Verus Incendus Arcanus Sorceror Ebonheart Pact.
    Verus Incendus Seraphus Templar Aldmeri Dominion,
    Verus Incendus Scorpius Dragonknight Aldmeri Dominion.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WTF, how many waves of skeletons are there, I thought there were only two??
  • AdeusObsidiusCorvus
    Two waves then the larger mob. But some additional weaker skeletons did spawn while taking him down. Probably because I was standing off letting Lyris take the strain and I didn't drop him quickly.
    Adeus Obsidius Corvus Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant,
    Adeus Obsidius Infernus Sorceror Daggerfall Covenant,
    Adeus Obsidius Daemonus Templar Daggerfall Covenant.
    Adeus Obsidius Draconis Dragonknight Ebonheart Pact,
    Verus Incendus Daedrus Nightblade Ebonheart Pact,
    Verus Incendus Arcanus Sorceror Ebonheart Pact.
    Verus Incendus Seraphus Templar Aldmeri Dominion,
    Verus Incendus Scorpius Dragonknight Aldmeri Dominion.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Those colossi sppawn waves of little ones but they have next o no hp. Thy serve only to annoy.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm sorry to inform you that after having breezed through this quest at the first attempt at level 25, plus the following one, and the level 25 fighters' guild quest (although I died three times during that one :P) I have now resubbed, and therefore will be here to torment you for at least another month :P
    Edited by AngryNord on May 4, 2014 8:02PM
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *confused*
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why?:P
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your sarcsam sir. Too early for it.
  • Kayvee
    Kayvee
    ✭✭
    I died a couple of times doing this part, but what eventually worked for me was killing the casters first and then 1 of the melee. Then I would let Lyris "tank" the last one while I just stood around and waited for my health to regen to full. Kill the last one, rinse and repeat. Used my ultimate on the bone thing at the end iirc
    VR Dragonknight Mitigation Healer and Ardent Flame DPS
    Altmer for the Ebonheart Pact
    Wabbajack since Early Access
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Your sarcsam sir. Too early for it.

I was born sarcastic :P

• Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good morning, Nord. Sleep well? Up waaaaaay too early for my tastes.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is a quarter to nine in the morning here and I've been at work for Three quarters of an hour :P
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh dear sweet holy Hate.

And yes, I know what time it is... but almost an hour at work already? Ewww :( Mondays....

And typos.
    Edited by Sakiri on May 5, 2014 6:52AM
  • GreySix
    GreySix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wife and I will take on that fight around Level 40 or so.
    Crotchety Old Man Guild

"Hey you, get off my lawn!"
  • Aiura
    Aiura
    ✭✭
    I did this at 20 with a Dragonknight. For me the key was killing the casters first, and after killing one Melee, leave the other Melee engaged with Lyris until full health, stamina and magika were recovered. That skel won't attack you until you engage it to help Lyris. Rinse and repeat for next batch of skels. Switch to a range weapon for the third round and just keep away from the skels and atronach. The skels die fast and kiting the atronach is relatively easy.
  • NevanCiar
    NevanCiar
    ✭✭
    HOW TO DEFEAT CASTLE OF WORMS MANNIMARCO!!!!!

There are 2 rounds of adds. First let me say I'm a lvl 23 mage. I've been trying this quest since I was 19, and even at 23, I had my ass handed to me. Then I read a post...so I'm gonna say it here, cuz it worked.

TWO of the FOUR skeletons summoned are casters. FIREBALL casters. They do the most damage. Take them OUT first, that's where you use your magicka, let Lyris and your familiar deal with the melee.

Take a magicka pot or health pot in between, so your back to full strength. Same thing again, Take out the casters first, there's a bone ancheon (sp?), that starts errupting from the floor, nail him hard, the adds will go to him and lyris and your familiar. Try not to aggro it away from them,

For melee skeletons, you will have to move out of their red attack zones.

STAY OUT OF RED zone, Kill fire casters. And you should be able to get through it, fairly easily.

Cheers. :)
  • alexbuck95b14_ESO
    alexbuck95b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    This was a pain. I'm a lvl 23 sorc. After being pummelled several times I eventually beat the SOB by going into sneak straight away while he prattles at Abnur at the start just before the skelly's spawn. I picked a pillar behind him crouched right next to the forcefield. Lyris will engage the skelly nearest her. Wait. The others will look for you but not see you and they'll return to their positions. Attack Lyris' opponent with a ranged ability. Both of you should take him down easily. Re stealth. Range attack the next one - Lyris will now attack this mob. And repeat. Just remember to re stealth especially before the second and third waves. The last wave with the large mob will see you and attack but Lyris will pile in. Run then hit stealth again. He will be drawn by Lyris' aggro. Heal up if you have to then restart ranged attacks. A few skellys will spawn around the main mob at intervals but keep re stealthing then attacking from range and you should be able to do it. Abnur then helps to deal with Mannimarco.

This. THIS. This helped me so much. If you go and crouch behind the pillar right behind Mannimarco by the force field, the skeletons won't see you. One will start running towards you but will not see you and return to his original position. Lyris will tank one and you'll be free to range attack each of the skeletons in turn, only one will attack you making it much easier. Do NOT use silver bolts/shards because it will attract all 3 at once.
  • Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    1) Don't attack Lyris' mob.

2) Kill the two casters.

3) Kill the other melee.

4) Let Lyris continue to fight her single target, she won't kill it... and you can fully heal and regenerate.

5) Kill her mob when you're ready to rinse and repeat.
  • Fair_Astrea
    Fair_Astrea
    ✭✭
    How do you get a familiar? I left my poor nightblade there because I couldn't abandon the quest and get out (never thought to check the MAP, btw, to exit). These tips seem like maybe they will help. Maybe I'll let Astrea try again. I'd hate to give her up. She is such a pretty elf and I've got her up to level 24. :) Here's me: noob and worried I'd have to abandon her in Castle of the Worm.
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only Sorcerers can have familiars
  • AgriyaTheGrey
    AgriyaTheGrey
    ✭✭✭
    So having trouble with this one I'm unable to find any upside to it, and I'm usually the glass half-full guy.

After reading everything I could find on it and levelling and trying again until the damn quest is now listed in grey, my destro mage has stopped dying in the first wave (most of the time) by having learned where the casters spawn, however every time I think he's getting the upper hand in the second wave, these chain things pop up out of the floor and leech his mag, hp & stam so he can't dodge or block & the berserker skels can basically one-shot him through his bound armour.

Not seen any mention of these in any of the posts I read & -predictably- they tend to pop immediately after I've downed a pot, completely wasting the pot. (Top-pieces of the chains look a bit like the dark anchor pinions. It's poss they don't pop for everyone -on my most recent attempt while coming up the tower with Cadwell, the final group of mobs in front of the last door was a trio instead of a duo & included a mini-boss that hadn't appeared in any previous attempt, so looks like the fine details of this quest can vary with each attempt.)

My mage is normally on the slightly OP side in PVE, and since he hit 15 he's been coping well with content 3 levels above him (mobs, 3-4 hits and they're gone, bosses a reasonable bit of effort), but this main story quest is really trying my normally almost-infinite patience. It simply isn't enjoyable. It isn't fun. It's actually tedious. It isn't the hardness of it -it's the annoyance factor of not being able to use any tactics (kiting only works until the chain-things pop up and then I have no stam and I die, going after the casters in the second wave I get one and then the chain-things pop up and I die, largest number of dodge-rolls I've managed in a second wave is 2, and then the chain things pop etc) or cover.

BTW Someone suggested sneaking and hiding -it doesn't work: the skels can see you. Of course they can -it's a small space surrounded by burning braziers. Maybe this is the one place in the game that invisibility pots are actually useful, but I no longer have the will to experiment.

Might be something if Lyris did something other than simply parking her enormous butt in my LoS all the way up the tower & targeted mobs 'intelligently'. If I start shooting at a target, I do not want her attacking the same target; I want her running interference on the adds. Hell, my damn Clanffear does that more often than she does! And it would be a big help if she functioned as something more than an outsized target dummy in this quest.

Getting through the skels simply will not feel good.
    Beating Mannie's atro (if I ever get that far) will not feel like an accomplishment.
    Defeating Mannie himself will get a 'Thank **** that's over,' at best.

Is that really what we're aiming for here?

[Edit] May 22 15:30pm BST - I see in the patchnotes that Castle of The Worm has been nerfed, although the entry is a bit vague about which exact mobs have been nerfed. (Hope it's not the ones on the way up the tower -they were fine IMO. It was just the damn skels and those pylon/chain/anchor pinion things that were killing the fun!)

[Another Edit] May 25 (after Castle's been nerfed) -OK, standing hidden in same spot as before (behind Mannie, by the pillar) the skels don't spot me. Even standing there not hidden, they still don't spot me. This makes taking them out a simple task of sniping them into bits one at a time. Second wave, still can't see me & this position is well out of the AoE of the floaty chain things too so again it's a case of sniping them to bits one at a time. Then the bone colossus thing appears, and this has been nerfed so bad I get only 2 hits on it before Lyris and my Clannfear kill it. And Mannie himself Iget a single shot at before he goes down.

...I think they may have taken this nerf slightly too far. :expressionless:
    Edited by AgriyaTheGrey on May 25, 2014 1:25PM
    Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.
    -Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader CBE DSO DFC FRAeS DL
    If a man is correct in his own person, then there will be obedience without orders being given; but if he is not correct in his own person, there will not be obedience even though orders are given.
    -The Lun Yu
  • voylissaub17_ESO
    voylissaub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    The quest is green to me now, and those skeletons are still kicking my butt. :(
  • Dyvim
    Dyvim
    ✭✭✭
    look, it is simple, as others have posted. Stealth.

Stealth and watch as lyris aggros a mob, move to her, and help kill the mob. Nothing else attacks you. Restealth, pick a new mob...hit it ranged, and lyris goes to it. Kill it fast. 2 skels left, rinse repeat. As long as you stealth at the beginning of the spawn this is really, really easy. Otherwise, it was undoable for me on a lvl 20 Templar...
    Angels are bright still, though the brightest fell... -S.
  • lwerker
    lwerker
    Soul Shriven
    I had a hard time doing this quest at lvl 23 as a Nightblade. I read the comments and decided to get the Protection circle from Fighter guild. I payed extra attention to which skeleton were the casters and killed those first. What helped me a lot was starting in hidden mode (ctrl). The fight started but i was not targetted and could take out the casters one by one. Even if i got out of hidden, the others did not pay attention immediatly (only when i came close).
    Edited by lwerker on June 2, 2014 5:51AM
  • Inglo
    Inglo
    Soul Shriven
    I just did this tonight and it didn't feel nerfed on my first two tries, but on the third, using stealth, it was cake. Summoned a storm atronach to deal with the bone colossus.
    Edited by Inglo on June 5, 2014 2:20AM
  • xWHALESHARKx
    xWHALESHARKx
    ✭✭
    I tried this quest at the requisite Level 20... as a vampire in Stage 4 Vampirism. The main quest was a cinch. Even the Haunter of the Cliffs, I was able to get the atronach parts without any difficulty. But the fire caster skels around Mani were unbelievable. Vamps have a fire weakness and slow health regen in Stage 4. After numerous tries, had to ditch. Will level up and return.

Cosign Lyris being completely useless.

Doshia was also B.S. I agree that nerfing these bosses would be in poor spirit because, guys, we're gamers. We need to keep going. But Doshia would have been 100% better without her health regen.

Don't flame me, but a useful analogy comes from Pokémon. Seasoned Pokémon players never actually use their Master Ball (the ball that has a 100% catch rate). Why? Because, if you keep trying, you can catch any legendary Pokémon by using the False Swipe move and throwing Ultra Balls at it until it's caught.

I'm thinking similar logic applies to TESO bosses.
    We may not be big, but we're small.

Thunder-Perfect-Mind
    Imperial Nightblade
    Aldmeri Dominion
    NA Megaserver