Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Constantly running out of quests

Kezaio
Kezaio
Soul Shriven
Well, ever since I hit Stonefalls I had the issue of running out of quests for my level. I'm totally aware of all the exploring stuff they want you to do, - and I do. Nevertheless it was a pain to get from 13 to 14, in the end I did it solely with PvP quests (... and I HATE PvP), because there simply weren't any quests anymore. I hit 14 and was happy I could finally go to Deshaan... well. I got like 3 or 4 quests for level 15, and that was about it. Next quests I got are 17+... I spent the past 2 hours riding around searching for quests (needless to say, without finding any for my level). Same story as in Stonefalls, AGAIN. After only a few quests that didn't even get me 1 level up.

I honestly feel like I spent more time running around desperately searching for quests than actually playing this game.

So what are you supposed to do in those cases? The XP from killing mobs isn't really mentionable, and I did the 3 dungeons I could do. I simply do not find any appropriate quests even after hour-long exploring. I already don't feel like logging on anymore. Constantly running out of quests is terrible, I never experienced this in any game before. And I'm only level 14. I already do quests 1-2 levels above me, and the range between my level and questlevels is constantly increasing..
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Weird I am level 15 in Stonefalls i didn't get out of it and I still have a a bit of stuff to to do s. Have you searched all the areas where you don't see any markers? Have You done all public dungeons ? Have You collected all the skyshards?>
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Kezaio
    Kezaio
    Soul Shriven
    Yes, yes and regarding the skyshards, probably not all of them but certainly most of them :)
  • pysgod1978b14_ESO
    I just hit level 10 on my Nightblade and have only just got done with Balreth.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kezaio wrote: »
    Yes, yes and regarding the skyshards, probably not all of them but certainly most of them :)
    Try doing some crafting. Also there were some quest rewords that gave you extra exploration xp.
    Also in this game the character level number is not as important as in other games your skill levels, build and gear are more important.
    Try experimenting a bit with your build and gear and maybe you can go for the level 17 quests at lvl 15.

Up to this point I find a the leveling to have the same pace as in SWTOR and GW2 which is slow in my case since I do everything.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Kaldor
    Kaldor
    I keep finding quest I can't see how people run out. If you are, you are not exploring at all. I am 15 and never even pvped and still have more questions than I realize at any given time.
  • Kaldor
    Kaldor
    If you follow the story alone you will run out. There is quest chains out there that you will not find without straying off the beaten path.
  • mcatchlovb16_ESO
    mcatchlovb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Deshaan at lvl 10. It is easily doable with a friend and the XP was way better (at lvl 10). I am finding myself running out of quests in Deshaan now that I am lvl 15 though.
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    I'm level 11 and I just reached ebonheart. I have the fort between belrath and there to do and the camp, along with all of the ebonheart missions.

Did you do Bleakrock the starting island or did you skip it?
  • Spiritreaver_ESO
    Spiritreaver_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Kaldor wrote: »
    If you follow the story alone you will run out. There is quest chains out there that you will not find without straying off the beaten path.

I don't think this poster's comment can be hold up and pointed at enough. I am actually finding the games 25 quests at time thing almost too limiting at times ans force myself to do a full stop and start clearing some of them out.

Its literally like a dev said early on, just pick a direction and walk. I promise you will find something to do.
  • Kaldor
    Kaldor
    ...Its literally like a dev said early on, just pick a direction and walk. I promise you will find something to do.
    ^^^This is the most solid piece of advice for anybody playing this game. ^^^

So much content out there and unless you go find it you will miss out on some very interesting stories and quest. I have not even done the Grotto or stepped into PvP yet. I find myself doing every thing I can to complete quest before they go grey on me (even finishing them when they do go gray) just because I love the way the devs set up the world. I'm not even out of Stonefalls at level 15 with more quest every time I log in

Please do yourself a favor. You can only play this game for the First Time Once. Don't rush it, and explore. It is worth every second of it.
    Edited by Kaldor on April 4, 2014 10:45PM
  • Cardan011
    Cardan011
    Ok I was Lv 11 when I realized I did not do black rock isle quests they were all gray and I still managed to lvl to 12
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you think you have completed all of the quests for an area, check to see if you have collected all of the skyshards in the zone. Many skyshards are located in or near town so if you are close enough to collect the skyshard, you will probably also a trigger a quest marker. Most of the dungeons containing skyshards also have quests in or near them. Don't forget the Fighters Guild and Mages guild quests you can pick up once per zone. Then there are the quests for the Main Story which increment in levels of 5. Open areas on your map are indeed good places to look for quests.

If you are having trouble finding quests for your level and you are in a zone that offers quests for your level (you will not find any level 10 quests in Deshaan, for instance), then head in the opposite direction or spend some time fighting enemies to earn XP to reach the next level or two. Unless I am in an absolute rush or if I am 6 or more levels about the enemy, I never shy away from a fight that my level tells me I should win. If you are forced to grind up a level or two, then I recommend finding a place with plenty of respawnable Daedra to kill so you can increase your Fighters Guild rank while you're grinding.
  • michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO
    Haven't had that issue, but I do think it's all laid out in a scrambled way. Which is why you are having trouble. Sometimes making you run into higher level areas to grab lower level quests. There's a random feel to it.

If you walk around you will find people to talk to. God knows what level the quest will be, though.

I was stumbling into level 7 and 10 quests when I was already at 13. At that point I decided to play this game differently than any other MMO. By just thoroughly covering the landscape in sections. From one side to the other. Instead of running all over the place like an idiot being led by the stupid quest markers.
    Edited by michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO on April 5, 2014 5:21PM
  • Captainkrunch96
    Captainkrunch96
    ✭✭✭
    Stonefalls is until level 17... make sure you have done all quests. look at journal>achievements>quests>ebonheart pact>stonefalls>and then you can see how many quests you have done.. Also, you should be level 17 by the time you reach Deshaan. there are 69 quests in stonefalls btw.

EDIT: you have done tormented spire, yes?
    Edited by Captainkrunch96 on April 5, 2014 9:57PM
  • Stonie
    Stonie
    ✭✭
    My problem is in fact the opposite.
    There are so many quests in each area that we are too high level when we enter the next making the quests way too easy.
    A fix to this is to the decrease the amount of xp we get making the experience alot better.
    Another issue is the public dungeons where there are so many people that the difficulty is just non-existence.
    The only place I have found to give the challange I want is to explore Cyrodiil.
  • gdawg311b14_ESO
    I only read the OP so forgive me if this was said. Not to sound rude, but i cant get a break from quests they are everywhere.... a tip ive found (and this is just cuz i love to explore and am an achievement nut) first, when moving from location to location, always follow the road, most "initial" givers will be near a rode or small outpost that will lead u to an area with a hub, secondly... as you advance through Stonefalls, whenever u see a new icon on the map, make sure u go there to get the discovery xp, many times u will discover a questline... also keep an eye on the icons themeslevs... when ur looking at the map icons, if the icon has a white border and is black in the middle, it means there is stuff to do there still, could be something simple like a boss or named, or a quest... finally when u do skyshards/lorebooks ull find tons of quests that probably are higher level than you, i suggest grabbing them so u dont lose sight of where they are should u return later.
  • Zerl
    Zerl
    ✭✭✭
    I'm level 25 and I am yet to come to a point where I have ran out of quests to do (I've still got quite alot of Shadowfen to go through.

Best advice I can give, is do some exploration, as it is quite possible that you have skipped out on some content. Look for "mini-dungeons" that are shown as a torch (dungeons are shown as a torch with a + next to it). When you have completed an area, a prompt should appear and the icon goes from black to white.

Also pick up the mage & fighter guild quests as they are also good XP.
  • Luisen
    Luisen
    ✭✭
    There are about 60 quests or more on each area.
    If you are out of quest is because you are doing something wrong :(

Leave the path, explore!
  • Anzaman
    Anzaman
    ✭✭✭
    The experience rewards from Quests does seem a bit too low compared to the amount of them in each zone.

Just completed Eastmarch and barely got level 35 before completing the final Quest in that zone. And we had to enter Shadowfen at level 23 once we had done all Quests in Deshaan.

I have done all torches and I explore quite a lot as I need to collect ore and runes for professions, so what seems to be the problem? I have skipped all the dungeons tho. :\
    Nilene Nightsky - Healer Warden
    Niomia Nightsky - Stamina Nightblade
    Ebonheart Pact (EU) Veteran: 10 - CP: 101
  • GardiigElder
    Same flaws as most other MMO's. I have done every single level 14 quest in stonelands and still 10k short of level 15. Have explored a lot and found all bar one place for achievement. Even if I do get to level 15 only found 2 level 15 quests so will face same problem again. I will get bored well before I hit max level. Having to farm 10k of creatures at 60xp a time will lose its fun really quick.
    Edited by GardiigElder on April 9, 2014 5:35PM
  • Grawlog
    Grawlog
    ✭✭
    I've been getting 100% completion (as best as I can tell using achievements as a guide) in every map, and have typically been overleveled for the content I'm doing. I've spent only a negligible amount of time in Cyrodiil thus far.

Not sure how anyone is having experience issues. I almost wish I had, to an extent; some of the content has been far too easy because I've been overleveled.
  • Mie87
    Mie87
    ✭✭✭
    Can you check the names of quests you've done in your achievements?
    Not home atm.
    This would be really handy :-)
  • Delte
    Delte
    ✭✭✭
    Well, ever since I hit Stonefalls I had the issue of running out of quests for my level. I'm totally aware of all the exploring stuff they want you to do, - and I do. Nevertheless it was a pain to get from 13 to 14, in the end I did it solely with PvP quests (... and I HATE PvP), because there simply weren't any quests anymore. I hit 14 and was happy I could finally go to Deshaan... well. I got like 3 or 4 quests for level 15, and that was about it. Next quests I got are 17+... I spent the past 2 hours riding around searching for quests (needless to say, without finding any for my level). Same story as in Stonefalls, AGAIN. After only a few quests that didn't even get me 1 level up.

I honestly feel like I spent more time running around desperately searching for quests than actually playing this game.

So what are you supposed to do in those cases? The XP from killing mobs isn't really mentionable, and I did the 3 dungeons I could do. I simply do not find any appropriate quests even after hour-long exploring. I already don't feel like logging on anymore. Constantly running out of quests is terrible, I never experienced this in any game before. And I'm only level 14. I already do quests 1-2 levels above me, and the range between my level and questlevels is constantly increasing..

So you have done all 69 quests in Stonefall and still not level 16 by the time you enter Deeshan?

I have just got to Deeshan and I was level 17 when I got there and it was very easy to do without going to Cyrodiil. Managed to get all the achievements unlocked for Stonefalls as well.

• Aureli
    Aureli
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Deshaan at lvl 10. It is easily doable with a friend and the XP was way better (at lvl 10). I am finding myself running out of quests in Deshaan now that I am lvl 15 though.

Same here, except I went in at lvl11 and was soloing the lvl15+ quests with ease. At level 16 I'm doing the lvl21 content in Deshaan now, but just went back to Stonefalls to do the Ashlander quests.

@Kezaio‌ there are tons and tons of quests to do in each of the zones. I'm not sure how you are running out. Stonefalls Quests

I am lvl16, have explored a lot of Deshaan and Stonefalls, and am still finding quests I haven't yet done in the latter. Not calling you a liar, but if you say that you've explored everywhere and can't find any quests, I bet you haven't.
    Edited by Aureli on April 10, 2014 7:33AM
  • Ackure
    Ackure
    Soul Shriven
    I did at some point accidentally walk into higher level quests just by going my own direction. It was manageable in a group of 2 and I eventually peddled back in on the lower level quests. Currently I'm in Deshan doing lvl 18 quests and I'm actually level 24 some of the npcs don't' even give me xp anymore. I don't leave any nook or cranny unturned. I found Party dungeon xp to just be really bad. But the public dungeons are quick xp whilst passing through looking for skyshards. I also seem to have infinitely more skill points then I ever need.

I suppose the one thing to be careful thinking about in regards to xp. Is when more players are around and kill the enemies in between you and your quest target before you can touch them. Thus you complete a quest whilst missing half the potential xp you could of earned whilst doing it. I find this to be a bit hit and miss sometimes its empty, the next second there's 4 people running past me
  • derpmonster
    derpmonster
    ✭✭

At least half the skyhards in any given area are in public dungeons. Public dungeons often have quests in them. You're not "exploring" as much as you seem to think you are.

• rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just hit level 48 and i've run out of quests completely apart from the final quest in the main story line which it won't give me.

According to what people are telling me I have to "grind" those last 2 levels which I can't be bothered with.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say that while I have been out of quests from time to time that I have yet to run out of quests that are available. I have run out of nearby quests that I want to do.

It pointed out what I consider to be a possible issue with the game. In an open world, already completed low-level areas should never be off the list of places to go, and there should be new things to do in low level areas for higher level characters. I should be able to come back to Devon's Watch, for example, at level 30 and find a quest to do, either a repeatable (daily, etc) type quest or a new quest that I have never seen, that is level appropriate.

Without this, the game is really not open world. It is a linear world, like WoW, but without the big mountains ringing the zone.

Now, now having a Level 30 to test this, I reserve the right to claim ignorance and be wrong, but I have yet to hear anyone mention content when returning to areas.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For the people who have run out of quests to complete, do you avoid fighting mobs while questing or traveling from place to place? Do you lend a hand when a Dark Anchor drops or when a Dark Fissure opens?

Unless I am 6 levels above the mob, I never run from a fight I can win. I always help with the Anchors and Fissures if I am nearby. I seldom group up and I don't use my Ring of Mara. I have never been to Cyrodiil. Given all of this, I am currently level 40 with about 10-15 quests left to complete in Eastmarch in addition to all of The Rift and Coldharbour. I will easily hit level 50 while in The a Rift. I attribute a level or two from fights while searching for treasure map chests and crafting mats. I would encourage everyone to engage in more combat to help increase their level for the quests around them.
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've run out of quests completely.

Zip, zero and zilch quests anywhere left to do (apart from a few low level bugged ones that wouldn't give me any XP anyway).

Coldharbour is completely finished (with an incredibly anti climatic ending to a zone) and i'm still 2 levels from 50 so can't get the final mission for the actual main quest.

Thus my character is stuck and shall forever remain 48 .... I truly hate grinding.