Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Get off your high horse

• Vendrath
    Vendrath
    ✭✭✭
    HAHA are you serious? Come on. How does anyone riding a horse in town actually effect you?

It doesn’t; it has absolutely no effect on game play. It just gets on my nerves and makes me want to kill bunnies.

Some of those bunnies need killing. I ran across one level 1 bunny with over 1K hit points up in The Rift.
  • SadisticSavior
    SadisticSavior
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who is burning mad about being trampled by horse-riding players everywhere I go?
    Yes. Get over it.

I don't have a horse. I have no intention of buying one. And this issue does not bother me even a little.
  • Jessabella
    Jessabella
    ✭✭✭✭
    @software_goddess, I do agree with you, but from my experience on the PTS server, I never use my horse outside of town. When running around questing I do like like to harvest nodes and stop and smell the roses. My horse is just a pain in those places.

But at some point in the game your inventory fills up, you have to run from place to place in large towns, from bank to cooking fire, to merchant to crafting table back to bank and so forth in an attempt to manage inventory. Having a horse for those trips is a huge help. Outside of Cyrodiil, its the only time I use my horse.

Of course we are all welcome to our opinions and play-styles! I have been taking my time since early access opened. I am still on the first island, and I can't believe how many horses are in use on even the tiny islands. But then again, we are all welcome to our own play style!
    Mara's Tester <3Psijic Order/PTS Tester
    Jessabella >:)Belladonna Bacia >:)Serves her Master >:)Aurora Rose
    Mara's Moxie <3The Sidekick Order <3The Psijic Order <3Elder Moot
    And my big fat Naked Nord :pAte my Clothes
  • Kangas
    Kangas
    ✭✭✭
    @software_goddess the title is truly ironic. I get that it breaks RP immersion for some high horse riding purists and in an ideal world there would be a "Role Player's Layer" that you could join so yo never see anyone else.

But for 99% of us I hope it's evident that saving time here and there is more important than trying to respect the perspective of a few role players.
  • torontodorsab16_ESO
    torontodorsab16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I'm the future Emperor, I can trample anyone in my way. :D
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I gave the OP an awesome, just because.

I can laugh with it in a sense that I share a similar concern, although not frustrated. I accept it for what it is. A random NPC that is obviously a complete idiot, hopped up and running on a Skooma binge.

Look the look and walk the walk. If you can blend in with the crowd while in town, some will actually try to avoid you as the collision is active among NPCs. I change to street clothes and actually walk... everywhere while in town, with less instance.

Other times, for the ones that go out of their way to run over you... I will try to time a dodge. It's good practice and real stab right in the ole Namira, when you pull it off.

It's not the fact that some will just run over you. It's the sheer flood of the populous form being a launch. As players progress and move on, all that's left are newcomers, slow players, RPers and like myself, slow RPers.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't have a horse yet, but I like the idea of a stable in front of town. Some people actually dodge you with their horse, always makes me smile. ;)
  • zen22937b16_ESO
    Having horses in towns is really stupid, you should be forced to dismount.
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having horses in towns is really stupid, you should be forced to dismount.
    While I support this notion, there are others that may look at it as restricting the gameplay of the riders.

I am pro fee will gameplay. I even support open world PvP with an implemented law enforcement for starting areas, where Cyrodiil becomes the EVE 0.0 equivalent of Tamriel. I can see some acceptance for them being in town. In our world, horses ran through town prior to automotion.

However, I still like things to simply make sense. While horses in town is reasonable. It is not reasonable to exit the Bank, jump on Trigger and bolt across the street to dismount at the Blacksmith.

Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• BETAOPTICS
    BETAOPTICS
    ✭✭✭
    They tamper people? Damn, that must be annoying indeed.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elder scrolls players would probably get annoyed sometimes on this, but mmo players are probably pretty used to it.

Wrong. MMO vet here and it annoys the living FRELL out of me. Makes me want to kick someone in the meevoks.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • JohnD212
    JohnD212
    ✭✭✭
    I say give it 30 days..most those power levelers will bail on the game after the free 30 days and we'll have a more civilized game. It's always like this for the first 30 days until they bore of their crazy leveling/PVP/RVR act.
  • lupusrex
    lupusrex
    ✭✭✭
    LOL'd for the title. Sure, it's a bit silly to see horses everywhere clipping everything. But let's see if you dismount every time you set foot (hoof?) in town, once you've got your horse.
    Martial Keen-Eye ~ Templar Healer/Archer ~ Daggerfall Covenant

"I ain't done nothin'."
  • Cayce_of_Kata
    Cayce_of_Kata
    ✭✭✭
    even support open world PvP with an implemented law enforcement for starting areas, where Cyrodiil becomes the EVE 0.0 equivalent of Tamriel.

Hell yes. This would be so awesome.
    Edited by Cayce_of_Kata on April 5, 2014 12:05AM
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    RP to the extreme huh?
  • Melian
    Melian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, it never occurred to me that someone could be so touchy and insecure that they would actually mind.
    In any case, when they add collision for players, I'll go around you. Until then, be trampled, pedestrian!
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Alyrn_Grey wrote: »
    But I like riding people over.

Okay, I have to admit that this was funny.

• Metella
    Metella
    ✭✭
    . In our world, horses ran through town prior to automotion.

I live in east London and still occasionally hear police clip clopping past my window. I think walking through town carefully on a horse is perfectly legitimate and not incongruous/immersion breaking for me when others do it, though galloping full-tilt through town is far more irritating, but so long as they don't actually knock me over I'm not that bothered.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two horses, one being fed for speed that I will take to PvP

The other fed for inv space.

Not going to please the op by saying this, but I rarely ride my horse in PvE as I don't want to miss things. But the one time I ride it most is in town, simply because I am wanting to get from the wayshrine to the various crafters and the bank as fast as possible.

Coming out of say the bank, crossing the street on foot, other players whether on horse or not has never registered as a pain or rude as they walk or run through me, I've never considered for a second until I read this thread that it would bother someone.

I will do my best not to ride through people in future

Edit, I read Jessabellas post above after I typed this. Looks like I'm not the only person that rides mainly just in town
    Edited by Ojustaboo on April 5, 2014 1:28AM
  • Myrddinman
    Myrddinman
    ✭✭
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    The first MMORPG I played where you could ride your horse in town was LOTRO.

If I'm not actively RPing, I'm always RPing in my head, so some things just seem like a matter of good etiquette. I slow my horse to a walk on a crowded street. I swerve around people standing in the street. I stop and dismount a little way away from the building, where a hitching post would logically be, and then walk into the building.

If I don't do these things, then it stops feeling like an RPG at all, and the horse stops feeling like a horse; it's just a way to ZOOM from point A to point B quicker to grind levels quicker.

This is what I do too :) Good on you!

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

However, I still like things to simply make sense. While horses in town is reasonable. It is not reasonable to exit the Bank, jump on Trigger and bolt across the street to dismount at the Blacksmith.

While I totally agree, it is reasonable say in Daggerfall to leave the bank and ride to where the woodworking station is at. It's not a huge distance but it's long enough that a horse makes a difference.

When I get the expensive inventory horse with the 10 extra stat points, I will max out the inv, and spend those extra points on speed making the use of the horse in towns purely to craft and visit banks etc an even more worthwhile thing to do.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »

If I don't do these things, then it stops feeling like an RPG at all, and the horse stops feeling like a horse; it's just a way to ZOOM from point A to point B quicker to grind levels quicker.

I use my horse in town for almost that exact reason, to get from point A to point B as quick as possible.

However it has nothing to do with leveling faster, I've played for 6 days and have just reached level 10. Usually it's because either my full bags are taking me away from what I was enjoying doing and I want to get back as soon as I can (and I could be enjoying collecting flowers for crafting, not grinding levels), or its the end of the day, I was supposed to be in bed 3 hrs ago and I want to get my inv space to a minimum asap ready for playing tomorrow.

• Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    I think it's a quality of getting around quickly and looking good; and when you need to be noticed and get around, you need...

I’m pretty sure that if you drove that through a bunch of people and up the stairs of a bank, you’d be noticed, all right.

I'm pretty sure that if every time I went to a bank, I helped myself to whatever is in their desks and the nice looking chest right behind the bank Clark, I'd also be noticed. And I suspect some RPs would go as far as not robbing the bank each time they visit, but at some point you have to draw a reality check / fun line

I would probably love in real life riding a horse very leisurely through old world like towns with no cars in but I personally find zero fun doing so in a town in ESO that I know almost every inch of and hear the same npcs shouting the exact same things every time I get near them.

First time I will stroll through on foot investigating everything, but while others are free to play as they choose, I can not grasp the fun of RPing to the point of every time you visit a town, you act like you have an afternoon to spend riding around slowly while sightseeing.
  • Pelerin2014
    Pelerin2014
    ✭✭✭
    Huh, I understand why it would annoy you - I myself only ride my horse where and when it's appropriate, I also ride around other players and NPCs - but you can't expect everyone to play that way.

Just as some folk like to jump around in their underwear at the town wayshrine, so do others like to ride their horses up stairs and into people.

lol
    Pelarius, Imperial Dragonknight of the Aldmeri Dominion.
  • Jessabella
    Jessabella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ojustaboo wrote: »

Edit, I read Jessabellas post above after I typed this. Looks like I'm not the only person that rides mainly just in town

@Ojustaboo, Glad I am not the only one who finds the horse to be more of an in town convenience.

Also, there is a sense of newness to it all. After a while, people will bore of horses, especially when they start to see that a char sprinting can outrun a lvl1 horse, and horses won't be everywhere like they are now.
    Mara's Tester <3Psijic Order/PTS Tester
    Jessabella >:)Belladonna Bacia >:)Serves her Master >:)Aurora Rose
    Mara's Moxie <3The Sidekick Order <3The Psijic Order <3Elder Moot
    And my big fat Naked Nord :pAte my Clothes
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    I got swallowed by a horse, someone ran a horse over me and we were going the same speed for a while.....
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    Thete wrote: »
    Noblemen and women ride horses, peasants don't ride horses. Nobles trample over peasants. Need I say more?

Peasants get together with pitchforks and torches too!

Besides which, when you are in a world where anyone could be some scray high level sorcerer you would think they might think twice about running over the pedestrian in front of them.

• driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In TES II: Daggerfall, you could ride your horse through the streets... of Daggerfall. I don't to live in a world... of Elder Scrolls, where I'm not allowed to ride through Daggerfall on a horse.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's annoying, but there's nothing you can do about it. A forum thread won't help.

I play on a small RP server on Neverwinter Nights 2, where everybody is always In Character per server rules and etiquette demands you walk in cities, with your weapon sheathed.

Despite that, people still burst through crowds of roleplayers at full speed, and since there's collision, those players get sent scattering back several steps.

The internet breeds anti-social behavior. We can't fix it with a forum thread.
    Edited by Sarenia on April 5, 2014 2:49AM
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Kemono
    Kemono
    ✭✭✭
    Face it Goddess -you just jelly that im looking good on my white, high horse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5au0LOJp8
    Edited by Kemono on April 5, 2014 3:36AM