Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Get off your high horse

software_goddess
software_goddess
✭✭✭
I don’t usually complain about this sort of thing, openly in a forum—just privately to my computer screen. I think I’ll make an exception in this case due to the level of ‘OMG that is so rude,’ and pent up disgust I am feeling.

Am I the only one who is burning mad about being trampled by horse-riding players everywhere I go? Go around me, for crying out loud! Why are horses even allowed out of your pocket when you are in town? In all of the previous games, horses where left in the stables, just outside of town. In this game, I step out of a door and suddenly I’m inside of a horse. People are taking their horses all the way up the stairs and getting off only because the game makes them get off in order to go through the door. WTF, Stop it! That’s rude!

I get it. … It saves time not putting away your horse when you enter a town.
I get it. … It is easier to stay mounted until the game actually removes you from your horse.
I get it. … You don’t give a crap about the lowlings that do not have a horse, and it feels good to look down on us from up there.

I don’t care. It’s rude, and you should not ride your horse in town just because the game lets you. It’s annoying, and you should not ride your horse in town just because everyone else does. It’s selfish, and you should not ride your horse in town just so you can run through other players.

Rant over; carry on…
  • Kadigan
    Kadigan
    ✭✭✭
    You get points for that title.
    Daggerfall Covenant: Fork-Stealer, Argonian Dragonknight
    Aldmeri Dominion: Kadigan, Bosmer Nightblade
    Let's be civil, shall we?
  • Alyrn_Grey
    Alyrn_Grey
    ✭✭✭
    But I like riding people over.
  • murpf
    murpf
    well from an RP perspective i get where you are coming from. But lots of people want FAST FAST FAST, even though its only 15% lol. either way im fine with riding in cities, but im also ok if they got rid of it.
  • Lizard_man
    Lizard_man
    ✭✭
    Doesn't exactly bother me, but I like the idea of having to dismount in towns...
  • StarlitVirus
    StarlitVirus
    ✭✭
    HAHA are you serious? Come on. How does anyone riding a horse in town actually effect you?
  • software_goddess
    software_goddess
    ✭✭✭
    HAHA are you serious? Come on. How does anyone riding a horse in town actually effect you?

It doesn’t; it has absolutely no effect on game play. It just gets on my nerves and makes me want to kill bunnies.

• Kiash
    Kiash
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting read, even if can't understand the problem or why this would bother anyone. People ride horses because they move faster, that's kind of the point of horses. The rude thing just really throws me through a loop lol.

And I agree, +1 for the creative thread title :)
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    And I'm sure people hate rant threads just as much. But complaining about it won't make either go away.
    Holgrum put some pants on. Holgrum heal me I'm dying. Nag... Nag... Nag...
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t; it has absolutely no effect on game play. It just gets on my nerves and makes me want to kill bunnies.
    So no big deal at all, really. Molehill, meet Mountain.
  • Lywen
    Lywen
    I hadn't considered that perspective! :) So far, I've only used the horse when I want to get to somewhere I've been a few times fast... Otherwise, you could miss random materials and other goodies you might find along the way.
  • Sue_D_Nim
    Sue_D_Nim
    ✭✭✭
    The first MMORPG I played where you could ride your horse in town was LOTRO.

If I'm not actively RPing, I'm always RPing in my head, so some things just seem like a matter of good etiquette. I slow my horse to a walk on a crowded street. I swerve around people standing in the street. I stop and dismount a little way away from the building, where a hitching post would logically be, and then walk into the building.

If I don't do these things, then it stops feeling like an RPG at all, and the horse stops feeling like a horse; it's just a way to ZOOM from point A to point B quicker to grind levels quicker.
    "If danger doesn't find her, she'll seek it out and invite it home to dinner." ~ Prince Naemon
    "Such despair! Richer than a cheese sorbet!" ~ Sheogorath
  • Kyosji
    Kyosji
    ✭✭✭

Well, I've got some good news for you! In ESO, you can!
  • thedemiseraphb14_ESO
    Elder scrolls players would probably get annoyed sometimes on this, but mmo players are probably pretty used to it.
  • software_goddess
    software_goddess
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »

If I'm not actively RPing, I'm always RPing in my head, so some things just seem like a matter of good etiquette. I slow my horse to a walk on a crowded street. I swerve around people standing in the street. I stop and dismount a little way away from the building, where a hitching post would logically be, and then walk into the building.

If I don't do these things, then it stops feeling like an RPG at all, and the horse stops feeling like a horse; it's just a way to ZOOM from point A to point B quicker to grind levels quicker.

This is exactly what I’m saying. It makes the game so much more enjoyable if people consider their actions as viewed from the perspective of other players. It adds to the emersion of the game if you follow the basic rules of society.

• Kadigan
    Kadigan
    ✭✭✭
    Don't kill the bunnies; they're adorable and unlike Skyrim I don't think ESO has a counter for how many you've slaughtered :p
    Daggerfall Covenant: Fork-Stealer, Argonian Dragonknight
    Aldmeri Dominion: Kadigan, Bosmer Nightblade
    Let's be civil, shall we?
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm not that I try to be rude to others but I don't see the problem.
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kettle, how are you?
  • lePoissonRouge
    lePoissonRouge
    ✭✭✭
    But the towns get so crowded sometimes it's impossible not to run over people. He ran out in front of me officer; it's not my fault!
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a quality of getting around quickly and looking good; and when you need to be noticed and get around, you need...
    H1opentop.jpg
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Kinsaven
    Kinsaven
    ✭✭✭
    I'll admit that the title in relation to what was written made me giggle. Whilst I personally don't see what the big deal is, I suppose I can somewhat understand how it can sometimes be annoying. That's mostly when people are sitting on their mounts, circling around a quest giver that you need and making it difficult to see/click him, though I admit I haven't really experienced that.

Also, I'm curious, which games did you used to play before ESO? Since I can't recall any games where you were forced off your horse when entering towns, and I've played quite a lot.
  • software_goddess
    software_goddess
    ✭✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    I think it's a quality of getting around quickly and looking good; and when you need to be noticed and get around, you need...

I’m pretty sure that if you drove that through a bunch of people and up the stairs of a bank, you’d be noticed, all right.

Edited by software_goddess on April 4, 2014 6:30PM
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    Gedalya wrote: »
    H1opentop.jpg
    One of the few things I really loved about SWTOR, were the obnoxiously huge mounts you could get! ROFL
  • Ziz
    Ziz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are mad people in game "run" you over with horses... In actual news people who ordered from amazon are getting screwed over and ignored by ZoS
    Edited by Ziz on April 4, 2014 6:34PM
  • dannomite82
    dannomite82
    ✭✭
    Yeah, mine still hasn't shipped from them :P Might have to check for a local copy :P
  • software_goddess
    software_goddess
    ✭✭✭
    Kinsaven wrote: »

Also, I'm curious, which games did you used to play before ESO? Since I can't recall any games where you were forced off your horse when entering towns, and I've played quite a lot.

I’m referring to Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind.
  • Kinsaven
    Kinsaven
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, of course. Haha, my mind was set to MMO-mode I believe.
  • basdisco
    basdisco
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how everyone with the Imperial Edition thought they'd be special for having a horse, meanwhile it looks stupid seeing a group of people riding the except same damn white horse.
  • Kiash
    Kiash
    ✭✭✭
    basdisco wrote: »
    It's funny how everyone with the Imperial Edition thought they'd be special for having a horse, meanwhile it looks stupid seeing a group of people riding the except same damn white horse.

Do I detect a hint of equine envy good sir? :wink:
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Noblemen and women ride horses, peasants don't ride horses. Nobles trample over peasants. Need I say more?
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »

^ This ^

I tend to mooch around town on my horse, walking around and chilling. I also tend to go around people instead of through them.

I'm in no great hurry. :)

Bionic Crazy Cat Lady