The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dirtiest move ever - by Zenimax Online

• Xbloody_m3ssx
    MRizk21 wrote: »
    I would have to agree, i wont have the spare cash to buy a game card and i do not wish to use my credit card. i'm in between jobs right now and have a lot of expenses to take care of. I bought the game thinking i would be able to play 30 days as advertised in the meantime while i get my situation taken care of. I feel stupid for dropping 80 dollars on this game i probably wont even be able to play unless i use a credit card. I only use credit cards for one time expenses and in general do not give it out for any subscription based plan.

Now that's a case Zenimax Online should have respected, but...

But i'm sol, i know that much. i just feel like that's money down the toilet. I could have used that money better. But i thought hey it will give me something to do while i'm waiting to start my new job why not.
  • Alekero
    Alekero
    ✭✭✭
    Well that sx like it was in swtor - when you must enter your credit card and got owned for 30 days more just to get your "free 30 days". But i dont want to contact support and bla bla bla because it will take much time to refund 14.99 lol. So i will just hope that in 2 month ESO wont get f2p or get screwed.
    - Love you all
  • Sanspoof
    Sanspoof
    ✭✭✭
    Rhoric wrote: »
    So to clarify, we have to subscribe in order to get our "free" 30 days?

Any sub based game you have to enter your subscription plan before you get the 30 days free.

I am really sorry. I am WoW player till this moment and they never authorized any payment of my account before my free 30 days where all used.
    Yeah, buying the battlechest doesn't require you to buy any extra time to activate the free month, that'd be silly.
    I only use prepaid cards so with this game I have no choice but to pay for an extra month regardless on whether I'll want or have time to play by then.

I knew about this requirement before I bought this game and decided to suck it up since I liked the game and wanted the pre-order bonuses, but it's not good to not consider what effects your policies have over non-cc customers.

• Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laerrus wrote: »

Can we not bring politics into this discussion, thank you.

Discussing money IS discussing politics. I am simply pointing out the anti-consumer argument from the worldview which empowers that.

If I had my way, this would be a free market and I would be allowed to purchase game cards instead of being forced to use a credit card. Game Cards give me a feel of freedom but having my CC attached creates a feeling of bondage.

And, of course, whether or not an option should be on the table is also very political because it involves rights of the buyer and rights of the seller.
    Edited by Soloeus on April 4, 2014 12:33AM

Within; Without.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Midgardian wrote: »
    So to clarify, we have to subscribe in order to get our "free" 30 days?

Any sub based game you have to enter your subscription plan before you get the 30 days free.

Any sub based anything. Amazon Prime is the same way. When you sign up for the free 6 months of Prime Student, you have to enter your information. It's so, when the free period ends, they can start charging you.

Completely different situation.

Any company offering a free promotion, asks for your credit card details knowing many people will intend to cancel at a later date but forget. I personally don't like this practice.

With ESO we have paid money already, the first 30 days is included in the purchase price, you should not need to choose a sub or enter credit card details to use it, just like if we buy a 30 day game card we don't have to.

I might want to play ESO for a month, then another game for a month, then buy a 30 day game card and play ESO for another month. Why should they need my credit card info for that?
  • bytestream
    bytestream
    ✭✭
    Mememe wrote: »
    bytestream wrote: »
    All, you do not have to pay anything until after your 30 days is up. We ask that you enter a credit card, but it is only authorized. No charge is made. If you do see that a charge has been erroneously made before your included 30 days of gametime are up and have confirmed with your bank that this is the case, please let us know and we'll happily correct the error.

My brother just used Paypal as a payment method and he got charged. It would have been the same with me but GMG messed up our order and only sent 4 instead of 6 codes for our two copies.

The fact that we even have to enter our payment details is already stupid, but charing up front so we can receive the free 30 days is plane and simple ***. Get your act together and fix your system.

Check as it should read cancelled when you go into the paypal account.

You are right, it just took them quite a while to cancel the transaction.
  • Laerrus
    Laerrus
    ✭✭✭
    Soloeus wrote: »
    Laerrus wrote: »

Can we not bring politics into this discussion, thank you.

Discussing money IS discussing politics. I am simply pointing out the anti-consumer argument from the worldview which empowers that.

If I had my way, this would be a free market and I would be allowed to purchase game cards instead of being forced to use a credit card. Game Cards give me a feel of freedom but having my CC attached creates a feeling of bondage.

And, of course, whether or not an option should be on the table is also very political because it involves rights of the buyer and rights of the seller.

I hear where you are coming from, but it's never a good idea to even mention it. Countless times I have seen someone try to put political spin from all sides on a constructive conversation and it usually derails off topic into flame baiting and nothing getting accomplished.
  • Rajani Isa
    All, you do not have to pay anything until after your 30 days is up. We ask that you enter a credit card, but it is only authorized. No charge is made. If you do see that a charge has been erroneously made before your included 30 days of gametime are up and have confirmed with your bank that this is the case, please let us know and we'll happily correct the error.
    The biggest reason there is such upset is most other billing companies when doing an authorization check charge $1.00 or $0.01/. Not the full $14.99.

I'd get your billing setup to change that.
  • Laerrus
    Laerrus
    ✭✭✭
    Found my answer. My account says that I still have 30 days remaining and I do have an option to purchase time via game card.

I purchased my copy of the client directly through Zenimax.
  • Ariane
    Ariane
    ✭✭✭

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom actually if we want to pay with prepaid cards, we have to use one already. Can we add a credit card subscription method and change it in the future? I thought I would be able to validate the game key and use a game card later, so I haven't bought one yet :s
    Edited by Ariane on April 4, 2014 1:09AM
    "I am not an Argonian. I am a crocodile"
  • avengergbg
    Well I don't have any money on my credit card so it gets refused.

WHenever I enter my CC info it gets denied for that reason.
    Edited by avengergbg on April 4, 2014 1:18AM
  • Corithna
    Corithna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pre-authorization is a standard practice for most businesses. It is not done in any way to harm or inconvenience anyone. It is done to ensure that the card information is both valid and in good standing, as well as not having been reported stolen etc. This is a vital and necessary step in the billing process. A 20 minute turn around for this authorization to clear off is an excellent time. For the vast majority of businesses that pre-authorize a card a minimum of 24 hours is normal.
    For all the millions of pages of codified law we have enacted in this nation alone, all of it, every word, sentence, paragraph and nuance, is steeped in the singular idea of this:

"Be good to one another."
  • Thralgaf
    Thralgaf
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, it's called an authorization hold. They do this because of fraud. It will drop. If it doesn't, it can be manually removed. It has happened to you a hundred times, you just haven't noticed.
  • MRizk21
    MRizk21
    ✭✭✭
    Corithna wrote: »
    Pre-authorization is a standard practice for most businesses. It is not done in any way to harm or inconvenience anyone. It is done to ensure that the card information is both valid and in good standing, as well as not having been reported stolen etc. This is a vital and necessary step in the billing process. A 20 minute turn around for this authorization to clear off is an excellent time. For the vast majority of businesses that pre-authorize a card a minimum of 24 hours is normal.

Why does Zenimax need to preauthorize my credit card before I decide to deal with Zenimax in any transaction.

I did not get the game directly from Zenimax online, and therefor Zernimax should not be concerned about the status of my credit card as there is nothing anyone could take against them even if the credit card was stolen.

On the other hand, those who preordered the game directly from Zenimax Online were not asked for a pre-authorization or even asked to select a subscription plan yet as far as I know.
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    I also just want to point out every company i know which has ran a sub model did this.
  • Delith
    Delith
    ✭✭✭✭

Why does Zenimax need to preauthorize my credit card before I decide to deal with Zenimax in any transaction.

I did not get the game directly from Zenimax online, and therefor Zernimax should not be concerned about the status of my credit card as there is nothing anyone could take against them even if the credit card was stolen.

On the other hand, those who preordered the game directly from Zenimax Online were not asked for a pre-authorization or even asked to select a subscription plan yet as far as I know.

Every single MMO with a sub does this. You are an idiot.
  • Botak
    Botak
    ✭✭

for cc that's not in USD denomination, if you charge and refund we'll get about $5 loss (roughly) from the exchange rate.
  • Lavatory2b16_ESO
    I can't play after these 2 days because of it though. I've no money left in my card after buying the game, so I feel cheated.
  • MRizk21
    MRizk21
    ✭✭✭
    Kingslayer wrote: »
    I also just want to point out every company i know which has ran a sub model did this.

Blizzard Entertainment which has the BEST and MOST played MMORPG on that planet.. Doesn't do that.
  • The_Drexill
    The_Drexill
    ✭✭✭✭
    This doesn't effect me, I'll put my info in...

But this sure does effect alot of people. This is a really, really bad move for Zenimax, and it will without a doubt cost them customers and PR.

No information should be given until May 4th if we *decide* to continue.
    Brandizzle - NB
    Drexill The Unbreakable - Sorc

For teh covenant.
  • Kiwi
    Kiwi
    ✭✭✭✭
    whats up with the mod editing OPs post and quoting from other threads to help disguise a rookie mistake by the billing dept?

seriously, sort it out asap
    Edited by Kiwi on April 4, 2014 1:53AM
    A large yellow rectangle

• MRizk21
    MRizk21
    ✭✭✭
    Delith wrote: »

Every single MMO with a sub does this. You are an idiot.

Me the idiot ha? Did you even read through the full topic you idiot?! I said it a million time. BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT THE KING IN ONLINE SUBSCRIPTION BASED GAMING DOES NOT PRE AUTHORIZE!
  • MRizk21
    MRizk21
    ✭✭✭
    Kiwi wrote: »
    whats up with the mod editing OPs post and quoting from other threads to help disguise a rookie mistake by the billing dept?

seriously, sort it out asap

Simply because Zenimax got the worst PR, and legal team ever.
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not true. Wasn't that way with world of warcraft, I was not required to enter a credit card once to redeem the 30 days free with the purchase of the game.

Wasn't like that with Rift either.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on April 4, 2014 3:23AM
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello ESO team, and players,

I just wanted to tell you ESO team that you made me sick today. I am really sick of that dirty d**k move you just did to everyone who got the game from retailers.

---snip---

Today Zenimax Online did the dirtiest, d**k move forcing all those who bought the game from retailers to pay one month game subscription in advance in order to redeem your game code, otherwise you are simply not allowed to continue playing the game or even enjoy the 30 days game time WHICH WE PAID FOR!

By paying the subscription now Zenimax is simply keeping you tied to a 60 days of game time not respecting your schedules, or the fact you already paid that much on their very expensive game (this get even worse when you live in Europe).
    ---snip--
    The pages on the ESO Store had, under all methods of purchase including retail, details of exactly how this was being done. You can check it yourself now. It explains clearly exactly what they are doing now in that information:
    ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

30 DAYS UNLIMITED GAME PLAY INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE. VALID PAYMENT METHOD OR PAID GAME TIME CARD FOR SUBSCRIPTION AND PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED.

Acceptance of End User License Agreement, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy, and account registration using enclosed one-time use activation code, required to play. Must be 13+ to register. The 30 days of unlimited game play begins when you select your preferred subscription plan on store.elderscrollsonline.com. Subscription fees only charged for game access after the first 30 days, subject to cancellation by you at any time. No refunds or credits for partial months. If you choose to pay for your subscription with a prepaid non-recurring payment method or with a Game Time Card you will be charged at the time you select the subscription plan. See store.elderscrollsonline.com for details. Product requires installation of application software. The Elder Scrolls® Online service may be discontinued, and content modified, disabled, suspended or removed, at any time. See Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.
    If you did not read this then it is not the fault of Zenimax. If your retailer did not clearly explain it to you then you should be talking to your retailer.

The wording could not be clearer and is explicit in the fact you will not be charged until after the 30 days and can cancel at any time before this.
    Edited by Moonraker on April 4, 2014 3:58AM
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Quoted for truth.

I saw a $14.99 bill on PayPal. Went to 'detail's of the transaction, and noted it was a verification and nothing more.

It's as if people who post these threads have never had a subscription plan before. Maybe they haven't. Statistically speaking, with the massive influx of people coming to ESO based on hype, many of them no doubt are varying degrees of clueless.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • scarsreminder80
    Hello ESO team, and players,

Today Zenimax Online did the dirtiest, d**k move forcing all those who bought the game from retailers to pay one month game subscription in advance in order to redeem your game code, otherwise you are simply not allowed to continue playing the game or even enjoy the 30 days game time WHICH WE PAID FOR!

That's funny because when I went to the Account page and actually read the information and instructions there... it said something exactly opposite. My 30 days begin tomorrow and won't need to buy in till the end of it.

Try reading instead of wanting to be a hater.
    "In your finest hour.... Who will you become?"
  • Rajani Isa
    Kingslayer wrote: »

Blizzard Entertainment which has the BEST and MOST played MMORPG on that planet.. Doesn't do that.
    Biggest does not not mean best.

Not true. Wasn't that way with world of warcraft, I was not required to enter a credit card once to redeem the 30 days free with the purchase of the game.

Wasn't like that with Rift either.
    I thought Rift did that to me originally, but I could be mistaken.

I do know that City of Heroes/NC Soft and EQ/SOE did that. However, as I mentioned above, they merely did a $1/$0.01 charge, not a $14.99. Both methods will verify the authenticity of the charge card, and one doesn't make people panic thinking they are getting cheated of their free time.
  • Rehum
    Rehum
    I did get charged and it does show it as a transaction
  • Rehum
    Rehum

My wife is not happy seeing 59.99 come out from amazon followed by 14.99 from 855.296.3170ELDRSCROLS terminal 0394376