The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar - Magicka, Health or Stamina?

xDrac
xDrac
So I'm not sure what to put my points into exactly? Magicka, Health or Stamina? I'd like my skills to hit like a truck, which would be Stamina, right? But my class skills are magic -based, which in turn would be Magicka again.... right? So I'm kind of uncertain and require your opinions!
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well , from what i understood , you pick you damage kind, so in my case magicka , then i use my class/staff skills for damage and i use my other weapons skills for CCs.

PS: i also play a templar heh , im not passing on using the spear , reason i picked magicka.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
    Options
  • Chomag
    Chomag
    ✭✭✭
    As a templar most of your damage comes from your class skills, not weapon skills and only the weapon skills need stamina.

For a general system, your points should go Mana 3 - Health 2 - Stamina 1.
    Options
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It depends on how you focus your character. If you go mainly for weapon skills, then you'll want stamina. If you're mainly using class class, you'll focus on magicka. It will also depend on your weapon choice.
    My own caster templar (basically a fire mage) doesn't really need stamina aside from dodging/blocking and both use up a percentage of stamina anyway.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      Options
    • xDrac
      xDrac
      Well, I want to use both, class and weapon skills (probably 2 class and 3 weapon skills?) Also, wanted to use a heavy armor and a greatsword. So Magicka you say?
      Options
    • dagnome
      dagnome
      ✭✭✭
      Keep in mind as well that your race will play a significant factor in where your attribute points go as well. Lets take me for example:
      I am an Imperial Templar my racial bonus's give me great passives for Sword and Board/tanking. Because I have two racial passives that give me increases to max health and stamina I can focus my given attribute points to Magicka (Until I hit overcharge anyway). I would look into what your racial passives are before you commit to something and plan like 5 levels ahead in the future and use your given attributes to fill the gaps your racial passives are missing.
      Edited by dagnome on April 3, 2014 9:04PM
      Options
    • malais
      malais
      Always go health. 15 points versus ten. Use food buffs and armor enchants for magika and if you have points or armor left over stamina.

Health is a better return for level points.
      Magika is used for all class skills which are the hardest hitting skills.
      Stamina is used for all non staff weapon skills which are far less important than class skills so stamina is just for overflow after capping the first two.
      Options
    • xDrac
      xDrac
      I play a High Elf, by the way. So I should focus on Health and Magicka rather than Stamina you say?
      Options
    • Chomag
      Chomag
      ✭✭✭
      Go paladin style.
      *2handed weapon and bow. They both work great.
      *5 heavy armor, 2 medium armor.
      *M 3 - H 2 - S 1

Your 1st action bar will be using 2handed weapon and will consist of only 1 weapon skill (critical charge), sun fire, biting jabs, piercing javeling, honor the dead heal.

Your 2nd action bar will be bow: snipe, venom arrow, volley, sun fire, piercing javelin.

Your usual style in pvp is to open with Snipe from stealth, followed by Sun Fire to dot and slow him, and start kiting. If the opponent is in your face use piercing javelin to knock him back and immediately follow through with critical charge into biting jabs and some weapon attacks. He should be dead or close to death by now.
      Options
    • Chomag
      Chomag
      ✭✭✭
      Edited by Chomag on April 3, 2014 9:11PM
      Options
    • ogolobardesb16_ESO
      I have the feeling that you are not seeing the overwhelming potential in that build, Chomag. Toss the Sun Fire and grab the Sun Flare (morph into Dark Flare).

Start with Sun Flare into Stampede (critical charge), then Bitting Jabs. This way you empower an already high damage crit and Bitting Jaws just will shred your target. Just cleanse and repeat untill he's dead.
      Use javeling to break channels, change weapon set to bow if you need to chase them down, or if somehow you need to run for your life.

Enjoy destroying everything, even tanks (all templar skills deal magic damage, so laugh at their armor)

You don't need to kite the enemies as a templar. You already have the potential to make the enemy cry on melee range.
      Options
    • Chomag
      Chomag
      ✭✭✭
      Yep, good tips but I just want to say that since pretty much all attacks in this build consume mana, it's probably a good idea to throw in some moves that consume stamina or you might run out of mana pretty fast.
      Edited by Chomag on April 3, 2014 9:40PM
      Options
    • Chomag
      Chomag
      ✭✭✭
      Yep, good tips but I just want to say that since pretty much all attacks in this build consume mana, it's probably a good idea to throw in some moves that consume stamina or you may run out of mana pretty fast.
      Options
    • Jayster
      Jayster
      Doesn't Stamina give u extra damage with weapon attacks tho? Seems like my magika always runs out before the enemy is dead so weapon attacks are required. Think I am going to go with a 2 to 1 ratio of stamina to magika.
      Options
    • plaxy186
      plaxy186
      Or carry a resto stick and weave in heavy light attack to recharge your mana for more class skills
      Options
    • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
      p_tsakirisb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      xDrac wrote: »
      So I'm not sure what to put my points into exactly? Magicka, Health or Stamina? I'd like my skills to hit like a truck, which would be Stamina, right? But my class skills are magic -based, which in turn would be Magicka again.... right? So I'm kind of uncertain and require your opinions!

All health. Is pointless to have 2400 magicka, sitting there when you are dead.
      735 health or 490 magicka. The choice is easy to make.

Use food, Arcane glyphs and Mage mundus stone, to raise your Max Magicka.
      Edited by p_tsakirisb16_ESO on June 29, 2014 8:15AM
      Options
    • Akinos
      Akinos
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm running 25 health and 24 stam, 0 magicka and have all 3 overcharged. I play Imperial.

That being said, it's not necessary to always go 49 Health. I use a combination of magicka and stamina skills also.
      PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
      Options
    • Shaun98ca2
      Shaun98ca2
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I play a HA GreatSword Templar. I have all my points in Stamina but I enchant for Magicka and Health. Though I really only enchant for Magicka due to the fact I also play a healer.

Templars can be very good in a pure Stamina build as we have certain abilities that are useful regardless of Magicka IE Blazing Shield, Restoring Aura, Explosive Charge(I use it for an opener and caster stun).

Blazing Shield basically scales off of health really the more health your character has the harder Blazing shield hits and the longer it keeps you alive.
      Options
    • Nidwin
      Nidwin
      ✭✭✭
      If you want your skills to "hit like a truck" I suggest you do the following

Delete Templar
      Roll another class

Templars don't hit like trucks and you're going to rage and become very disappointed.

Just my advice of course.
      Nidwinqq Templar (healzzz) United Warhammer Vets
      Nidwinqq RR100 Magus till the end, R.I.P. Badlands
      Options
    • Akinos
      Akinos
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Nidwin wrote: »

Delete Templar
      Roll another class

Templars don't hit like trucks and you're going to rage and become very disappointed.

Couldn't be more wrong, I and several other templars that actually theorycraft and learn about the class and don't just qq on the forums about their regeneration are capable of hitting upwards of 700+ damage on players with several skills. Mobs I haven't really done that pve thing for a while ;p
      Edited by Akinos on July 1, 2014 7:01PM
      PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
      Options
    • Nidwin
      Nidwin
      ✭✭✭

Delete Templar
      Roll another class

Couldn't be more wrong, I and several other templars that actually theorycraft and learn about the class and don't just qq on the forums about their regeneration are capable of hitting upwards of 700+ damage on players with several skills. Mobs I haven't really done that pve thing for a while ;p

I'm not qqing on the forums except saying that trash mobs in vr need to get nerfed because for reasons that you, theorycrater will never be able to understand.

As for you doing 700+ damage on one hit on a player and being proud of it.
      I know you, I've seen you, I've had to deal with peeps like you in Warhammer Online for 5+ Years.

You're just a dps DoK, dps Shaman or worse dps Zealot.
      You are actually useless 90% of the time. Your dps sucks compared to a pure dps class like a NB or Sorc. You have far less utility compared to a DK.

In PVE you can make a lot of things work.
      In RvR a templar heals and leaves the dpsing to Sorc and NB's.

You see.
      I can be as kind and lovely as you bro.
      Options
    • Sunrock
      Sunrock
      ✭✭✭
      @Nidwin in RvR Templar is one of the best class to do AoE damage so you need to go back to the drawing board and learn what the templar skills do.

PS: Look at Blazing Spear and Solar Barrage
      Edited by Sunrock on July 2, 2014 10:18AM
      Options
    • Sunrock
      Sunrock
      ✭✭✭
      xDrac wrote: »

All health. Is pointless to have 2400 magicka, sitting there when you are dead.
      735 health or 490 magicka. The choice is easy to make.

Use food, Arcane glyphs and Mage mundus stone, to raise your Max Magicka.

Magica is important for a Templar Healer however. It's true that Templar damge scale with magica too but the Templar restoration skills scale allot more the higher magica you have.
      Options
    • Nidwin
      Nidwin
      ✭✭✭
      Sunrock wrote: »
      @Nidwin in RvR Templar is one of the best class to do AoE damage so you need to go back to the drawing board and learn what the templar skills do.

Got it.
      In RvR it's

Templar as dpser because of his awesome aoe skills
      Sorc as healer because he/she never runs out of Magicka
      NB as tank because his aoe sucks so all he can do to make himself usefull is tank
      DK in 7 Light armor with Destro Resto staff because that's the FTW build.
      Options
    • Sunrock
      Sunrock
      ✭✭✭
      Sunrock wrote: »

Got it.
      In RvR it's

Templar as dpser because of his awesome aoe skills
      Sorc as healer because he/she never runs out of Magicka
      NB as tank because his aoe sucks so all he can do to make himself usefull is tank
      DK in 7 Light armor with Destro Resto staff because that's the FTW build.

No Templar is still better at healing then any class no matter if its PvE or PvP. No class using a restoration staff properly can run out of magica. V12 Templars can instant heal 1k HP with Breath of Life (my highest crit on Breath of Life have been 1256, that i have notice). With all the burst damage going on in PvP thats just essential. However Sorcs make exelent backup healers.
      Options
    • Akinos
      Akinos
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Delete Templar
      Roll another class

I'm not qqing on the forums except saying that trash mobs in vr need to get nerfed because for reasons that you, theorycrater will never be able to understand.

As for you doing 700+ damage on one hit on a player and being proud of it.
      I know you, I've seen you, I've had to deal with peeps like you in Warhammer Online for 5+ Years.

You're just a dps DoK, dps Shaman or worse dps Zealot.
      You are actually useless 90% of the time. Your dps sucks compared to a pure dps class like a NB or Sorc. You have far less utility compared to a DK.

In PVE you can make a lot of things work.
      In RvR a templar heals and leaves the dpsing to Sorc and NB's.

You see.
      I can be as kind and lovely as you bro.

lmao. You are infact QQing, this post proves it, you're upset because there are infact templar players that actually know what the hell they are doing with their class and can do anything they want as a templar,whether it's tank, heal or have high dps. You can keep on your anti-templar qq crusade but you really aren't convincing anybody.
      Useless 90% of the time LOL? Same could be said about class or player for that matter. But only players such as yourself that give in to the norm and refuse to think or play outside the box actually believe that templar is "useless" 90% of the time.

And if you really did see me in RvR, you would know that none of the crap you said about templars is true. I have strong heals, high dps and it takes me forever to die. But it would probably too hard for you to admit that templars are good if played right and aren't "useless."

Do you even Templar bro?
      Edited by Akinos on July 2, 2014 6:05PM
      Options
    • Phoenix88
      Phoenix88
      Soul Shriven
      I would have to agree that Templars aren't the best at what you want. Dragonknights are the best tanks, Sorcerers are the best ranged damage and escape, Nightblades are high burst and high sustain if played right as well as a good escape through stealth. Templars are the best healers in my opinion. Nobody else can heal others for 1k+ burst. You should look into dueling if you want to see Templars that know what they are doing. You are not as bad off as you make it sound.
      Thorontur - Team Templar
      Options
    • Akinos
      Akinos
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Also, about templars having trouble with trash mobs:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxFqCidqxw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3BDf2gp-S4
      Mobs don't need to be nerfed, people need to learn to play.
      Edited by Akinos on July 2, 2014 6:18PM
      Options
    • Utildai
      Utildai
      ✭✭✭
      Also, about templars having trouble with trash mobs:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxFqCidqxw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3BDf2gp-S4
      Mobs don't need to be nerfed, people need to learn to play.

Ok!! I am happy someone has finally post how Templars are NOT broken... I've been playing one since launch and have had zero issues. I have to fully agree, people need to learn how to play the game, not complain their classes are broken.

Templars work just fine. Find the combination that works for you and learn to use it.

Options
    • Nidwin
      Nidwin
      ✭✭✭
      Do you even Templar bro?

All the time bro.
      I've even a little Nid level 10 Templar and many more will follow

Let's try it again

I <3 my Templar.
      J'ai aucun problème avec mon Templier
      Templar is one of the funniest toons I've ever played in any game and for once it's a hell of a fun to PVE and being able to kill stuff with a healing class without having to fall asleep from boredom.
      Templar actually rocks.

Now.
      Templars don't hit like trucks and OP is asking us how to have his skills hit like a truck. My response is just roll one of the two main DPS classes so he/she will see big numbers popping on his screen.

Options
    • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
      p_tsakirisb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      On Monday night I respec my Templar for 4th time since VR2 (is VR9 now last respec at VR4). Also cured Vampirism.

Decided to go on a Magicka build. 5 LA, 2 MA, Shield + Sword.

Skills.

Puncture morph to drop Spell Resistance.
      (good one to drop the defences on some mobs and do more damage)
      (2H works well with Carve here, for the Ultimate regen)

Puncturing Sweep.
      Vampire Bane (nice opener)
      Blazing Spear
      Channeled Focus
      +
      Sweep Ultimate.

The above setup on my Khajiit Templar, cuts through 3-4 VR9-10 (Desert, Bakhorai) mob spawns without issue. Very rarely switch to the Ext Ritual that sits on Qbar 2.
      Bosses, even dungeon ones that couldn't deal with as a Vampire + 2H, now they just scratch the shield paint job.

I have put the following glyphs.

Armour & Shield.
      2 Green V9 Health. (torso, pants)
      8 Blue Magicka.

Weapon. Blue V9 glyph of damage to Magicka conversion.

Jewels.
      3 V9 blue Arcane jewellery. With 2 Purple V9 Magicka regen glyphs, 1 Gold V9 power glyph.

Attributes. 0/49/0 (all HP)

Stats. (with blue V5 food - MA-HP)

2101 MA, 2517 HP, 1700 STA, 100 Spell power, 134 Weapon power
      93 MA Regen, 67 STA regen.
      1800+ Spell Resistance, 1131 Armour.

Am I happy with the new setup?

I will tell you this. A dungeon boss at Bakhorai last night killed a VR12 DK that was ahead of me. He was resurrecting when I engaged the boss (full hp). I killed the boss alone, then the DK send me a whisper "damn OP Templar".

Two notes. Keep the shield up all the times, remove the L+R interupt key from your key binding. Put another key against it.

Is not uber dps build, but has good survival ability, I rarely die, and can dodge any special AoE attacks, without hitting my stamina alot, to keep shield up.

And it cuts through Alikr Desert & Bahkorai.
      Options