Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Cant move or attack in some fights, what's going on?

tarstarkes
tarstarkes
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone,
new to the forum and I came across an interesting bug/error/ability... I don't know exactly what it is but I play a DK dual wielder... every once in a while, Ill come across a mob and attack it and immediately after I attack... I can no longer swing my sword, activate any of my abilities (even though they are highlighted) and all the while the mob is continuing to attack me... usually this happens when there are multiple mobs in the same area it seems but that could simply be a coincidence... its not lag (trust me I thought the same thing, but it didn't add up because if it was lag, there would be no action at all on my screen.. the one thing I can still do when this happens is move.. unfortunately each time I try to run away I usually get killed (not a big deal but definitely annoying). It also not a paralysis because I have seen paralysis before and usually what happens is all my abilities get grayed out ... this is not the case... what is even weirder still is when I do die and res, I sometimes am stuck moving slowly as if I was walking. I tried toggling the run/walk on and off... nothing happened... the only thing that got me out of this little sequence was attacking something.. that seemed to reset whatever it was that was holding my character at a snails pace. Has anyone else run into these issues? if so, please post, any information would be helpful in figuring out what this is... and if someone knows some kind of fix for this I would be heart-fully appreciative. thanks.
  • Beucko
    Beucko
    ✭✭
    tarstarkes wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    new to the forum and I came across an interesting bug/error/ability... I don't know exactly what it is but I play a DK dual wielder... every once in a while, Ill come across a mob and attack it and immediately after I attack... I can no longer swing my sword, activate any of my abilities (even though they are highlighted) and all the while the mob is continuing to attack me... usually this happens when there are multiple mobs in the same area it seems but that could simply be a coincidence... its not lag (trust me I thought the same thing, but it didn't add up because if it was lag, there would be no action at all on my screen.. the one thing I can still do when this happens is move.. unfortunately each time I try to run away I usually get killed (not a big deal but definitely annoying). It also not a paralysis because I have seen paralysis before and usually what happens is all my abilities get grayed out ... this is not the case... what is even weirder still is when I do die and res, I sometimes am stuck moving slowly as if I was walking. I tried toggling the run/walk on and off... nothing happened... the only thing that got me out of this little sequence was attacking something.. that seemed to reset whatever it was that was holding my character at a snails pace. Has anyone else run into these issues? if so, please post, any information would be helpful in figuring out what this is... and if someone knows some kind of fix for this I would be heart-fully appreciative. thanks.

Hmm, I actually encountered the same problem while in a mission today. I could neither attack nor even unsheath my sword during a boss-fight. I subsequently relogged the instance and that fixed it right up for me and I haven't encountered it since.

Be sure to put a /bug report in when you encounter problems like this, there probably isn't a quick fix to prevent it from happening again but the tech team will surely look at it in due time and hopefully prevent it from happening again.

Enjoy your time in ESO!

Greetings,
    Beucko
  • tarstarkes
    tarstarkes
    Soul Shriven
    thanks, its good to know i'm not the only one with this issue. I'll submit a bug report asap... appreciate the info.
  • Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's linked to the phasing issues that ZoS are having and relog will fix it but surely will cost you a death. I've also had it but not often thank Talos.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar issue, but I think it was lag/latency... after a moment it was like time had sped up & the bad guy was dead on the ground in front of me
    & same as Beucko....
    Beucko wrote: »
    I subsequently relogged the instance and that fixed it right up for me and I haven't encountered it since.
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    I experienced this same thing. This occurred 3 days ago with my Altmer Sorcerer Dual Wielder.

Thankfully it was only one enemy and my summoned daedra took him down as I had a sliver of red left showing on the bar. I could move the camera and crouch into stealth but I couldn't move or attack.

I was able to open the inventory. I tried to get some health food in me before I died but I didn't have any to even see if I could eat it.

Once the fight ended, I was able to continue as normal. It only happened once and it hasn't happened since.

Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep..it is a BUG if you need to re-log to fix it,
    but..you also might have bee CC'd (another word for being stunned).
    Happened to me being attacked by three critters at once.
  • DotAwkward
    I had the same thing happen and was able to /reloadui to fix it.
    Edited by DotAwkward on April 3, 2014 7:58PM
  • Noxious
    Noxious
    ✭✭✭
    Get that a lot in this game, seems to be high latency issues as well as the phasing the megaserver does. Hopefully it gets resolved one day.
    Edited by Noxious on April 3, 2014 8:00PM
  • SeñorCinco
    SeñorCinco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chirru wrote: »
    ..you also might have be CC'd

I considered the ramifications of being under that effect. My character wasn't frozen in a trance with those revolving stars about the head.

I haven't been involved in any PvP as of yet and I can only assume that your character reacts with the same animation as NPCs, when stunned.
    Words contained in posts, at which point I stop reading and will not respond...
    Toon / Mana / WoW or any acronym following "In ___" /
    Pets (when referring to summoned Daedra) / Any verbiage to express slang (ie, ending in uz,az,..) / Soul Stone
    ... to be continued.

Now, get off my lawn.

• Thybrinena
    Thybrinena
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Noxious It's only going to get better and from an EU pov it will get a lot better.
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    Also if your power attack is interrupted you will be stunned.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • tarstarkes
    tarstarkes
    Soul Shriven
    Im positive it wasnt a stun.. if it was a stun.. everything would have been grayed out... not only that but it lasted way too long to be any kind of stun or cc effect... I sat and fought the monster for a good 1-2 minutes while problem was going on... it was definately NOT any kind of legit in game effect.
  • tarstarkes
    tarstarkes
    Soul Shriven
    So appearantly there is an easy fix to this if it happens to you. simply hit the esc key and then go back to attacking and it should fix the issue. its not as good as not having to deal with the problem in the first place but it is a fix. thanks guys for all the info.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/67764/can-t-fight-back-bug#latest

You're not alone.

I can move but can't attack, but a health potion works, rolling out of the red works to avoid the extra damage.

Every time it happens /reloadui has worked for me, people will tell you it's lag but it isn't. I don't believe /reloadui would work instantly without any waiting if it were lag. People will also say it's a stun but a stun isn't going to last a MINUTE or longer while being attacked and if such a stun did exist in PvE then Zenimax needs to adjust that.

Even made a post on customer support but not getting any actual support... :(

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/67841/can-t-fight-back-bug#latest
    Edited by Elvent on April 4, 2014 10:54PM
  • Toxic1111
    Toxic1111
    I'm getting this issue quite often, dual wielding. Quickest fix atm is /reloadui, better chance at not dying.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten locked a bit while trying to use the DK DP ultimate - kneels, wings collect, but stay kneeled and unable to do anything except walk around (well, glide, since I was stuck in the kneeling position).

It eventually reset after I got out of range of the mob to register 'not in combat', but hey.
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    Had this bug too. It's really annoying.

The whole megaserver idea sounded great, but I think it has a long way to go.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toxic1111 wrote: »
    I'm getting this issue quite often, dual wielding. Quickest fix atm is /reloadui, better chance at not dying.

I've also had this issue on my dual wielder... but not on my other two. Interesting.

I'm curious to know how many non dual wielders have had this problem. Do you suppose it's an issue with dual wield damage? E.g., too many hits per second bugs out something?
    Edited by BlackSparrow on April 8, 2014 3:23PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • tallenn
    tallenn
    ✭✭✭
    Toxic1111 wrote: »

I've also had this issue on my dual wielder... but not on my other two. Interesting.

I'm curious to know how many non dual wielders have had this problem. Do you suppose it's an issue with dual wield damage? E.g., too many hits per second bugs out something?
    I don't dual wield at all, and I've had the bug.
  • Duckfather
    Duckfather
    ✭✭
    I get this on my dual wield DK every now and again. I believe I've seen it described elsewhere as the result of some form of mismatch between what the server thinks your doing and what the client does.

It effectively puts you into cursor mode, which means that none of your normal movements or attack keys work.

Just press the full stop key twice (the default key for entering / leaving cursor mode) and it will reset back to normal for you.

Annoying, I know, but better than being dead :-P
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tallenn wrote: »

I don't dual wield at all, and I've had the bug.

Rats. Theory thwarted. :)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Brim
    Brim
    Soul Shriven
    I have had the same thing happen to me a couple of times recently, also with a DK/dual wield.
  • Foxhunt
    Foxhunt
    ✭✭✭
    I've had it happen a couple times but that's it. So far it hasn't happened in a while.
  • Nooblet
    Nooblet
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you accidentally press "." ? Apparently it toggles"cursor mode" in which you can move mouse around screen without moving you and abilities don't cast.

I did experience something like this in beta, but did not know about cursor mode then.. so not sure if there is actually a bug or not.

I haven't experienced it in live, but good luck either way. I know it certainly isn't fun if it happens.

Edit: someone mentioned cursor mode and having the bug so it's probably not an accidental click then if they were aware of it.
    Edited by Nooblet on April 8, 2014 3:53PM
  • 100p.weasel_ESO
    Having this issue as well, is there a fix or has it been confirmed to have been worked on?
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this happens to me - and it's only happened twice - I just open and close the mail window (# key on UK keyboard) and it lets you attack again. It only takes a split-second to do, which is handy.
    Edited by Coggage on April 10, 2014 7:31AM
  • Grays
    Grays
    Soul Shriven
    It happens to me a lot of time...
    Less since the last patch. I press a key (like open the inventaris) to "fix" it, then i can go back to the combat.
    Edited by Grays on April 10, 2014 10:33AM
  • Methanos
    Methanos
    I get this a LOT on my dual-wielding Sorc.

It slows me by like 50%, prevents all of my abilities, including auto-attack and weapon switch. The only thing I can do is block.

On the most recent occasion, even after my inevitable death, I was perma-slowed for about 5 minutes before I relogged. /reloadui does nothing to fix this for me.

The most annoying thing about this is the amount of repair costs it's incurring :D
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is still possible that lag is an issue. Plenty of people have lag where there is still movement on their screen. But it does sound like others are having this issue, so submitting a bug report is your best option.
  • smokes
    smokes
    ✭✭✭
    i actually got stuck completely motionless on top of a wall in cyrodiil the other day, there i was happily shooting my bow at people on the ground below me, then suddenly couldn't do anything...

i could turn around on the spot, but i couldn't jump nor move forward/back/left/right

eventually, after changing the batteries in my keyboard, i managed to do a roll, fell off the castle wall and landed on the grass outside - again, unable to move or use abilities, i could only turn round.

it was there i stood until one of the keep attackers peppered me with arrows and sent me to my grave - i resurrected at the keep and everything fixed itself. haven't had the issue since.