Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Scripts are creating a storage emergency, PLEASE help now!

• LucyferLightbringer
    LucyferLightbringer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally i do not understand why the same scripts don't stack. This alone would make situation so much better.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just unlock them, but I do agree with the OP. Placing scripts in the bank for alts to learn and keeping track of "who-knows-what" is just annoying and wastes space.
    Learning scripts on all characters either means farming nine crappy daily quests every day for 20+ weeks or taking 20 characters to the scholarium merchant/IA merchant every vendor reset for months. Which are both ridiculous when you think about it! Scribing shouldn't be gated like this, it's a main game system.

Scripts really should be accountwide. Especially as ZOS always says database space is an issue, I do not understand them making scripts per character.

Might just be me, but the entire way ZOS handled scripts seems weird.
  • Elyu
    Elyu
    ✭✭✭
    The answer is almost in the game, but hasn't been implemented in a particularly player-friendly way.

Once you have learned a script on any character, you can buy it for gold with a discount from either the vendor in Scholarium, or vendor in Infinite Archive.

Problem is that not all of the scripts are available all the time, they are on a rotating system, meaning you might need to wait weeks for that one script to appear....when you could farm it in a few days through dailies....rendering the entire "buy for a discount" system pointless.

So simple fix: once you have acquired script for the first time on your account (via one character) ALL the scripts become available for purchase via alts (maybe 1/2 from Scholarium vendor and 1/2 from Infinite Archive vendor?)

Also this:
    silky_soft wrote: »
    Let them be decon into ink
    Edited by Elyu on July 22, 2024 9:08AM
  • BlackRaidho
    BlackRaidho
    ✭✭✭
    Unpopular opinion : affixes are way too easy to obtain and needed to be more challenging loot.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that the one you find in mage guilds can with benefit be looted multiple times if you have an banker and bank space.
    Then cycle trough characters and use use them. Note that the collecting character can not know the script for this to work.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ulvich
    Ulvich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are these scripts BoP to begin with, and why can't we stack them?
    - Monster Slayer
    - Savior of Nirn
    - Adventurer Across a Decade
    - Hit Hard. Hit Fast. Hit Often
    - BETA Group: 85 b 9
  • JimFord047
    JimFord047
    ✭✭✭
    lol, do what I did, create another toon to carry them!! It can also use some to level up as well... Only reason I am Keeping them, is that according to the PTS they are going up in value to 999 gold... so saving for that rainy day!
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am making a point to have one of each class learn them, after that once they are stack able I will hold any extras in an alts inventory for some time in the future when another class is added.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scripts are meant to be learned on a character to character basis. Once learned THEY ARE NO LONGER NEEDED FOR SCRIBBING (except to possible learn on future alts). Think of scripts like furnishing plans, they are not itself a crafting material.

Unless you are saving them for future alts they can be disposed of without losing access to actually scribbling anything.
  • AllenaNightWood
    AllenaNightWood
    ✭✭✭
    put them on alts to learn them or sell them to a merchant
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We didn't need ANOTHER set of recipes to stockpile and pass on, especially since you don't know who knows them (on other alts) on console.

Put them in your bank. Once you have a decent stockpile, swap to an alt and open your bank. Then look at them, and the ones your alt needs to learn will tell you. Repeat for all Alts. Sell whatever is left at the end to a vendor.

Definitely not rocket science. Once all of your alts know them all, just vendor them.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    We didn't need ANOTHER set of recipes to stockpile and pass on, especially since you don't know who knows them (on other alts) on console.

Put them in your bank. Once you have a decent stockpile, swap to an alt and open your bank. Then look at them, and the ones your alt needs to learn will tell you. Repeat for all Alts. Sell whatever is left at the end to a vendor.

Definitely not rocket science. Once all of your alts know them all, just vendor them.

Of course you can do that but it is horridly slow, especially if you are not actively touching each character normally however.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    darvaria wrote: »
    We need a sticker book. No one wants to start vendoring scripts we may need on the next update or who knows we. We can not possible store all of those. And they really need to be available for all toons. We are much too far in this game to run around collecting scripts for 8-10 alts.

PLEASE do it now.

Darv

Sell the ones you don't need. You'll get them again later. I already have scripts that I've learned on three characters (console player) and I wasn't even farming for them. Come on now.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a self caused issue and there is no need to do anything about it.
  • LucyferLightbringer
    LucyferLightbringer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course you can do that but it is horridly slow, especially if you are not actively touching each character normally however.

This. I have 20 lvl 50 characters, it would be hours of boring work.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This. I have 20 lvl 50 characters, it would be hours of boring work.
    Agreed, and in my case it's all characters I play. So can't use them as storage alts, and all my other storage is full(including the bank).
    This is a self caused issue and there is no need to do anything about it.
    How is this a self caused issue when ZOS decided to place an accountwide cooldown on a per character based system? With no options or clarity on how to easily distribute the scripts, or who knows what. If we could mouse over the script and see character x1/x4/x15 still needs that script, it would be fine. Or without the accountwide cooldown on script drops, we could log in every character daily and get each of them all the curated scripts in a week themselves. Even better would be to be able to buy all the scripts(as someone above suggested), or detach scripts from dailies completely and make them a non-rare drop from the same sources ink does(curated). This way we can play normally and gather all scripts on every character we play, including alts.

No matter how you put it, or how much you love scribing. The implementation of scripts themselves wasn't well thought out in relation to alts. Especially if you take into consideration that any future script releases will cause the same issues brought up in this thread, again and again and again.

Scripts need to be accountwide, or there needs to be a solution where we can find/buy scripts through normal gameplay right away without any cooldown. Let ink be the gatekeeper to scribing.

PS: Every other system in the game is accountwide once it is unlocked on an alt: Excavation, gear stickerbook, companions, housing, infinite archive upgrades, outfitting, CP, etc. This is why I feel it would have been better to make scripts accountwide, but require the entire scholarium questline completion to access scribing on an alt.
    Edited by Sarannah on July 23, 2024 10:34AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    Every other system in the game is accountwide once it is unlocked on an alt: Excavation, gear stickerbook, companions, housing, infinite archive upgrades, outfitting, CP, etc.

Companions are not account wide once they are unlocked on an alt. They have to be unlocked on every character individually to be able to use them. Excavation isn't account wide either.

I feel it would have been better to make scripts accountwide, but require the entire scholarium questline completion to access scribing on an alt.

It took me 2 days of play time to do the Schlorium quest line on my first character, and it was one of the most unenjoyable things I've experienced in this game to date. If we had to complete the whole thing on all our alts there would be anarchy.
    Edited by SilverBride on July 23, 2024 4:04PM
    PCNA
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we could mouse over the script and see character x1/x4/x15 still needs that script, it would be fine. .

Reading this, deduction would indicate that you play on PC, which has an elegant solution in the Character Knowledge Add-on for this. If you don't want to play with add-ons, that's a choice, but there is a solution there for you. Now, if you said mouse because of some other reason and are a console player then you have my condolences.
    No matter how you put it, or how much you love scribing. The implementation of scripts themselves wasn't well thought out in relation to alts. Especially if you take into consideration that any future script releases will cause the same issues brought up in this thread, again and again and again.

I personally love the implementation of the script grind, it gives me reasons to do dailies and such on alts for the 25% chance of scripts after I do the dailies for the guaranteed. As for your "future" issues, the major issue of this thread, the storage, is already being addressed in the next big update where they'll be stackable.
    Edited by EdjeSwift on July 23, 2024 4:30PM
    Antiquities Addict
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EdjeSwift wrote: »
    If we could mouse over the script and see character x1/x4/x15 still needs that script, it would be fine. .

Reading this, deduction would indicate that you play on PC, which has an elegant solution in the Character Knowledge Add-on for this. If you don't want to play with add-ons, that's a choice, but there is a solution there for you. Now, if you said mouse because of some other reason and are a console player then you have my condolences.

S/he's always called addons "cheating"....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

S/he's always called addons "cheating"....

They made their choice then. They can go old school and spreadsheet it up like this.
    a8u2w613tuqz.png
    Antiquities Addict
  • DoofusMax
    DoofusMax
    ✭✭✭
    Checked my bank yesterday and there were precisely zero scripts sitting in there. I had two which weren't usable by an alt because of level restrictions (supposed to be fixed in the next update), but I sold them for 28g each to free up the space and they'll get reacquired somewhere down the line; no biggie.

My script-gathering process is basically to prioritize particular toons. When they're at bat, they're the first to do the stuff that gets them the coffers with the 100% drop rate until they know all scripts; everyone else plays 25% chance on their coffers until they're at bat. The ones who know all scripts mostly twiddle thumbs until the update or some other mechanism for dealing with duplicates shows up, but I'll still take 28g to get rid of something that can't be used.
    I'm fresh out of outrage, but I could muster up some amused annoyance if required.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I personally love the implementation of the script grind, it gives me reasons to do dailies and such on alts for the 25% chance of scripts after I do the dailies for the guaranteed. As for your "future" issues, the major issue of this thread, the storage, is already being addressed in the next big update where they'll be stackable.

The grind is worse than the recipes I try to pass to my alts. I get them, but mostly because I am still leveling rep with my companions, not any other reason. Scripts just happen and are annoying since I now know I have to pass them just like recipes. Blech!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Every other system in the game is accountwide once it is unlocked on an alt: Excavation, gear stickerbook, companions, housing, infinite archive upgrades, outfitting, CP, etc.

Companions are not account wide once they are unlocked on an alt. They have to be unlocked on every character individually to be able to use them.
    Companions are accountwide, only the unlock is character based. Gearing, skilling, leveling, is all accountwide. Even the rapport final quest unlocks the keepsake for the entire account. So yes, they are accountwide.
    To compare this to excavation: Excavation needs a certain level to be unlocked on a character and to excavate a lead of a certain difficulty, this is the character based unlock. But leads and their mythics are accountwide, and can be gained accountwide. So again, after the unlock the entire system is accountwide. Which is to be expected of such a main/endgame system.
    In all the mentioned systems there is a character based unlock without a limit or restriction, after that the entire system is accountwide. Scripts are the first time ZOS placed a restriction/timegate to unlocking a main/endgame system for alts.
    I feel it would have been better to make scripts accountwide, but require the entire scholarium questline completion to access scribing on an alt.

It took me 2 days of play time to do the Schlorium quest line on my first character, and it was one of the most unenjoyable things I've experienced in this game to date. If we had to complete the whole thing on all our alts there would be anarchy.
    Doubt many players would mind, as every system so far had to be unlocked per character: Leveling excavation, adding gear to stickerbook, doing the companion quest, etc. But after the unlock it is accountwide. So having to complete the entire scholarium on a character to access scribing with accountwide scripts would actually be in line with what is expected, and with how ZOS did every system so far. Twenty or more weeks to unlock a main/endgame system on alts, is not in line with what ZOS previously did with any other system they released. Not even close, and I think that grind feels much worse for most players(especially to me as I heavily dislike doing dailies).

Fair enough that you do not like the quests themselves, personally I loved them.

PS: For the record: I do not think add-ons are cheats, but I do feel some add-ons grant players unfair advantages. But either way I'm not looking for add-ons for solutions. When ZOS releases something new, that feature needs to be well thought through and complete when it is released. Atleast that is my opinion, as I expect a certain standard/quality.
    Edited by Sarannah on July 24, 2024 6:13AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Companions are not account wide once they are unlocked on an alt. They have to be unlocked on every character individually to be able to use them.
    Companions are accountwide, only the unlock is character based. Gearing, skilling, leveling, is all accountwide. Even the rapport final quest unlocks the keepsake for the entire account. So yes, they are accountwide.
    To compare this to excavation: Excavation needs a certain level to be unlocked on a character and to excavate a lead of a certain difficulty, this is the character based unlock. But leads and their mythics are accountwide, and can be gained accountwide. So again, after the unlock the entire system is accountwide. Which is to be expected of such a main/endgame system.
    In all the mentioned systems there is a character based unlock without a limit or restriction, after that the entire system is accountwide. Scripts are the first time ZOS placed a restriction/timegate to unlocking a main/endgame system for alts.

Doubt many players would mind, as every system so far had to be unlocked per character: Leveling excavation, adding gear to stickerbook, doing the companion quest, etc. But after the unlock it is accountwide. So having to complete the entire scholarium on a character to access scribing with accountwide scripts would actually be in line with what is expected, and with how ZOS did every system so far. Twenty or more weeks to unlock a main/endgame system on alts, is not in line with what ZOS previously did with any other system they released. Not even close, and I think that grind feels much worse for most players(especially to me as I heavily dislike doing dailies).

Fair enough that you do not like the quests themselves, personally I loved them.

PS: For the record: I do not think add-ons are cheats, but I do feel some add-ons grant players unfair advantages. But either way I'm not looking for add-ons for solutions. When ZOS releases something new, that feature needs to be well thought through and complete when it is released. Atleast that is my opinion, as I expect a certain standard/quality.

I would have greatly disliked it if had to be unlocked per character. I already dislike the tedium of the last 2 companions (unlocking them). I like using them, but it is a pain to unlock them.

Some love it, but I would bet most do not, even altoholics like me.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • alpha_synuclein
    alpha_synuclein
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the scripts are to stay non-accountwide they need proper curation and stackability.
    Luckilly, the latter is incoming. But rng based farming is not fun...
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the scripts are to stay non-accountwide they need proper curation and stackability.
    Luckilly, the latter is incoming. But rng based farming is not fun...

The former already exists in the game as well.

Scripts are curated based on what the character earning them actually knows. If you farm the scripts (i.e. do the daily quests) on your main who already knows them all, then you'll be having an RNG fest. But if you earn the Scripts on an alt who needs them, they will always get one of the specified type that they still need, save the Scripts that have special drop locations (the MG Scripts or the quest ones).

I didn't know that at first and it was very frustrating since the one I needed never dropped... until I learned this and just did the quests on the alt who needed a certain Script, and then there it was.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions are accountwide, only the unlock is character based. Gearing, skilling, leveling, is all accountwide. Even the rapport final quest unlocks the keepsake for the entire account.

The parts that are account wide are only accessible once the Companion has been unlocked on the individual character. Any character that hasn't unlocked them can't use them at all. Rapport is also earned individually.

Excavation needs a certain level to be unlocked on a character and to excavate a lead of a certain difficulty, this is the character based unlock. But leads and their mythics are accountwide, and can be gained accountwide.

Excavating and Scrying can only be done on characters that have learned and leveled the skills.

I feel it would have been better to make scripts accountwide, but require the entire scholarium questline completion to access scribing on an alt...

...Doubt many players would mind...

MANY players would mind. The unlocking quests for Scribing received a lot of negative feedback for how long and tedious they were, and for how confusing and buggy. This would not be well received at all.
    PCNA
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭

MANY players would mind. The unlocking quests for Scribing received a lot of negative feedback for how long and tedious they were, and for how confusing and buggy. This would not be well received at all.

It's a fair compromise. Account wide scripts + the ink is a time savings to do on alts. The quest gets shorter after your first time because you know where to go/what to do and can fast track dialogue if you even cared the first time cause you know the story already. Bugs get fixed and cannot/should not be the measure of a quest line.
    Antiquities Addict
  • ellmarie
    ellmarie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know, I have been hoarding mine as well, as a just in case. I only have a few left to get, but I wish my main could just scribe a skill for one of my alts! I'm having a hard time finding the Shock script for my mag sorc now, even though my main learned it a while ago. But there's also the issue of ink, so I'm afraid of scribing to waste it! I've only scribed like 4 so far, and many more to learn for the achievement.
    Xbox X- NA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a fair compromise. Account wide scripts + the ink is a time savings to do on alts. The quest gets shorter after your first time because you know where to go/what to do and can fast track dialogue if you even cared the first time cause you know the story already. Bugs get fixed and cannot/should not be the measure of a quest line.

There is not enough gold in this game to get me to do that entire quest chain again.

There is nothing wrong with learning the scripts on each character because they drop from many different activities and can be purchased from 2 different sources every week. They are also curated. I've already learned all of them on 7 characters by just doing things I normally do anyway.
    PCNA