Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Make all hair and eye color available to all races

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
I think it would be so nice and add to more diverse character creations if we could at least have access to all available hair colors. Why not make a very blond dark skinned redguard so that he/she looks like those people from Solomon Islands or Aborigines (the current blond on redguard is still too brownish). or really black haired altmers...

Same goes for eye color.

Edited by AnduinTryggva on July 6, 2024 12:21PM
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes please.
    and for all genders, for example it's weird that some adornments and hairstyles aren't available for all genders
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Particularly when NPCs have the disallowed color. Looking at you Earl Leythen, the dark haired high elf.
    Options
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What?! That would be totally lore breaking for more than a few Altmer NPCs to have black hair! But you can have blue or pink hair and glowing eyes…
    🤔
    Edited by Araneae6537 on July 6, 2024 6:36PM
    Options
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    Particularly when NPCs have the disallowed color. Looking at you Earl Leythen, the dark haired high elf.

Psh that base game aldarch guarding torinaan had been on offendor since the game came out
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »

But he's an evil cultist!!!! You have to sacrifice your soul to a Daedric Prince to get black hair!!!!!
    What?! That would be totally lore breaking for more than a few Altmer NPCs to have black hair! But you can have blue or pink hair an glowing eyes…🤔

Yeah. Since artificial/"magical" hair dyes obviously exist in this world, this all doesn't make any sense anymore anyway.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes to all the things. We also need to be able to change hair color easily, perhaps at the outfit station. It is so weird that this one attribute is so firmly entrenched in your character's identity.

I also wouldn't mind a "classic" attribute so we would know which colors were historically locked.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For a second I wanted to go all "but Dunmer eyes on a Nord would look ridiculous and would be lorebreaking!" but, yknow, mixed races. Down with "the race is the same as the mother's"!
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this 100%, give us all the hair colors please. If we can have crazy crown crate haircolors, then we can have dark haired elves.

I also agree that changing hair color is something we should be able to do any time we want at a dye station. Such a minor change shouldn't cost an entire character alteration token. Hair color should be treated more like an accessory.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    Down with "the race is the same as the mother's"!

That's not even what the lore says. The lore says the child generally take the race of the mother. Can also take after the father, and if it's races of man it can be more evenly split.

I'd love to get a Cosmetic Pack: Hair colours and Cosmetic Pack: Eye colour, which would not only let us change those on the go but also unlock some extra ones that weren't available at the character creator. Just like the other cosmetic packs such as hair, markings and adornments are.

Speaking of adornments. Cosmetic Pack: Adornment colour, or let us use dyes like we can with hats, costumes and outfits. Why is this bound to hair colour? Some races don't even have access to all colours.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I think that we should be able to change hair colour, I am not really convinced if "unlocking" everything is a good idea.

I mean BG3 did it and character creation in BG3 is one big mess (especially "random" button as it can give some nightmare fuel).

Like for example, Argonians have a lot of vivid & bright colours when it comes to "hair" & "skin". But those option would not work well on other races. ESO already has certain aesthetics & style established (I would call it medieval/fantasy realism). So imagine if all of the sudden we could pick blue or purpure skin tone for non-lizard races. And it would not be something like a apparel collectible skin, but rather something done during the very begging in character creation. It gets even weirder once you would "unlock" hair styles. Like you could have horns for regular human-races, or long hair for lizards. It contradicts the basic of ESO setting, style & aesthetics.

And to just counter what is comming (cuz I know some one will say it):
    "But you don't have to pick it". Yeah, I know I don't. But the thing is that It would make creating a nice character way longer than it is now (now it is actually very long process) while also It would create more lore-breaking (and immersion breaking) characters.

Having more options is not always the best solution (see BG3 character creation), as players would be overwhelmed with choices and as a result, diversity will be imho smaller than we have now, if every race could pick every colour/hair style and everything would be "unlocked".
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on July 6, 2024 7:43PM
    Options
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    Down with "the race is the same as the mother's"!

That's not even what the lore says. The lore says the child generally take the race of the mother. Can also take after the father, and if it's races of man it can be more evenly split.

Right, people overgeneralize it into the race is always the same as the mother's, but it also comes from one lorebook made by Imperial students and is bound to be biased.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I think that we should be able to change hair colour, I am not really convinced if "unlocking" everything is a good idea.

I mean BG3 did it and character creation in BG3 is one big mess (especially "random" button as it can give some nightmare fuel).

Like for example, Argonians have a lot of vivid & bright colours when it comes to "hair" & "skin". But those option would not work well on other races. ESO already has certain aesthetics & style established (I would call it medieval/fantasy realism). So imagine if all of the sudden we could pick blue or purpure skin tone for non-lizard races. And it would not be something like a apparel collectible skin, but rather something done during the very begging in character creation. It gets even weirder once you would "unlock" hair styles. Like you could have horns for regular human-races, or long hair for lizards. It contradicts the basic of ESO setting, style & aesthetics.

And to just counter what is comming (cuz I know some one will say it):
    "But you don't have to pick it". Yeah, I know I don't. But the thing is that It would make creating a nice character way longer than it is now (now it is actually very long process) while also It would create more lore-breaking (and immersion breaking) characters.

Having more options is not always the best solution (see BG3 character creation), as players would be overwhelmed with choices and as a result, diversity will be imho smaller than we have now, if every race could pick every colour/hair style and everything would be "unlocked".

Ok, I see where you get to. And I agree to it. It should not be that we can make green hair for altmer.

But natural colours should go and hence no limitation should be on that. All mer colors could be available for all mer while all men colour for men etc.
    Options
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    Yes to all the things. We also need to be able to change hair color easily, perhaps at the outfit station. It is so weird that this one attribute is so firmly entrenched in your character's identity.

I also wouldn't mind a "classic" attribute so we would know which colors were historically locked.

One way they could do it is simply have character creation as it is now, with the 'lore' colors.

Then, have in game 'stylists' or something that, for a treasure fee, can change your hair/skin/eye color to any color available to any race.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not.

I'd like to make my Dunmer look like an Altmer actually.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One way they could do it is simply have character creation as it is now, with the 'lore' colors.

Then, have in game 'stylists' or something that, for a treasure fee, can change your hair/skin/eye color to any color available to any race.

I would not mind to have a stylist that requires a horrendous amount of gold for each change (like 10k or more). This could be an additional gold sink that the economy so much needs.
    Options
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
    Options
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭

I would not mind to have a stylist that requires a horrendous amount of gold for each change (like 10k or more). This could be an additional gold sink that the economy so much needs.

That is what I was thinking, and 10K sounds about right for something like this.

I know that a lot of people complain about lack of gold sinks, and I feel something like this (and mount customization!) would be great.
    Options