Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Where is the ink?

• sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sarahthes wrote: »
    darvaria wrote: »
    They need to increase the ink drop immediately. Don't turn ink into another commodity where certain guild stores can charge outrageous amounts. (And ZOS you do know where a lot of that gold goes ..... if I can catch them on their discords using pay pal you should be able to catch them too)

INCREASE drop rate immediately.

Ink will increase over time. It doesn't need to drop like candy. Most people will barely use it. I expect even at current drop rates it's going to end up costing maybe 1K a piece within a few months.

if it gets that low its because nobody is willing to interact with the system

with the drop rate as low as it is, theres no way to experiment with skills at all (and theres supposed to be ~4000 combinations)

if i had a hundred ink, i could see myself burning that in an afternoon just trying different combinations of scripts on a single grimoire once ive actually got the full library of scripts

The endgamers got spreadsheets telling them which combos to use already, and there's an add-on that will sim combinations for the PvPers so they know what to make before they make it.

not everyone is going to use those

personally i could care less what is considered "meta" for each skill, i dont even know what people consider the best for each skill, and would want to figure out stuff that would work for my specific builds

the addon could be useful to see combinations, but "seeing" the result and "trying it" are 2 different things (and not available for console)

it may look good on paper but you might not like how it feels once you use it

It seems to drop from nodes at the same rate as nirncrux, based on my short time farming it. I really think the price is going to settle somewhere reasonable, even with use.
  • Jerdeh
    Jerdeh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ulvich wrote: »
    So far I have picked up 12. Not sure from where. I just loot anything and everything I come across, so it could have been from anywhere.

You will get 12 from quests.
    Been playing since betas 2014
  • Jerdeh
    Jerdeh
    ✭✭✭✭
    They need to increase the ink drop immediately. Don't turn ink into another commodity where certain guild stores can charge outrageous amounts. (And ZOS you do know where a lot of that gold goes ..... if I can catch them on their discords using pay pal you should be able to catch them too)

Yes, this will be Jewelry Crafting 2.0
    Been playing since betas 2014
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far I have picked up 12. Not sure from where. I just loot anything and everything I come across, so it could have been from anywhere.

you get 12 from doing the scribing quests (3 per wing)

Ink will increase over time. It doesn't need to drop like candy. Most people will barely use it. I expect even at current drop rates it's going to end up costing maybe 1K a piece within a few months.

with the drop rate as low as it is, theres no way to experiment with skills at all (and theres supposed to be ~4000 combinations)

if i had a hundred ink, i could see myself burning that in an afternoon just trying different combinations of scripts on a single grimoire once ive actually got the full library of scripts

The endgamers got spreadsheets telling them which combos to use already, and there's an add-on that will sim combinations for the PvPers so they know what to make before they make it.

personally i could care less what is considered "meta" for each skill, i dont even know what people consider the best for each skill, and would want to figure out stuff that would work for my specific builds

the addon could be useful to see combinations, but "seeing" the result and "trying it" are 2 different things (and not available for console)

It seems to drop from nodes at the same rate as nirncrux, based on my short time farming it. I really think the price is going to settle somewhere reasonable, even with use.

maybe, but i hate buying materials, if i do ever start to feel i have extra i could sell it, but right now i have 0 and have not gotten a single drop working on completing the entire zone of the west weald

the only ink ive ever gotten so far was from the scribing questline when i did that on monday

edit to add: you do realize that potent nirncrux is currently selling for like 75-90k still? inks are already about that, but slightly above that (heard about 100k+ right now)
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on June 5, 2024 5:15PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • TheLoreMaster420
    this is incredibly embarrassing zos allowed this to go to live.

0.6% drop rate on the system that is the main selling point of this chapter
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

maybe, but i hate buying materials, if i do ever start to feel i have extra i could sell it, but right now i have 0 and have not gotten a single drop working on completing the entire zone of the west weald

the only ink ive ever gotten so far was from the scribing questline when i did that on monday

edit to add: you do realize that potent nirncrux is currently selling for like 75-90k still? inks are already about that, but slightly above that (heard about 100k+ right now)

Nirncrux was selling for 55K last week. Can't believe it almost doubled in a week.

In any case, the best drop rate for ink seems to be node farming. I got 14 ink in about 90 minutes of farming.

If you have 20 characters you could get 240 ink from running them all thru the quests. That's 80 possible combinations you can test. Or you could farm mats and get ink.

When I complained about the price of columbine, people told me to farm more and do fun things less. I don't see why that advice shouldn't also apply scribing.

(I have gotten all my ink while farming for columbine so I can raid and PvP, btw)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *also doesn't scribing something differently with a Grimoire you already used only cost 1 ink or am I misremembering that?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nirncrux was selling for 55K last week. Can't believe it almost doubled in a week.

In any case, the best drop rate for ink seems to be node farming. I got 14 ink in about 90 minutes of farming.

If you have 20 characters you could get 240 ink from running them all thru the quests. That's 80 possible combinations you can test. Or you could farm mats and get ink.

When I complained about the price of columbine, people told me to farm more and do fun things less. I don't see why that advice shouldn't also apply scribing.

(I have gotten all my ink while farming for columbine so I can raid and PvP, btw)

i usually sell the potent nirn for about 75k lol (i was selling it at 90 for awhile, but it didnt always sell at that price but 75 is faster)

i currently only have 11 characters, i might rerun the scribing quests with them at some point, if at least to complete the achievements for scribing each skill at least once, im still working on acquiring scripts on my main so i cant really make use of experimentation right now anyway

i would agree that the drop rate from harvesting is probably fine, its the drop rate from enemies thats really bad, it feels like trying to get an aetheric cipher
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

• sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

i usually sell the potent nirn for about 75k lol (i was selling it at 90 for awhile, but it didnt always sell at that price but 75 is faster)

i currently only have 11 characters, i might rerun the scribing quests with them at some point, if at least to complete the achievements for scribing each skill at least once, im still working on acquiring scripts on my main so i cant really make use of experimentation right now anyway

i would agree that the drop rate from harvesting is probably fine, its the drop rate from enemies thats really bad, it feels like trying to get an aetheric cipher

Enemies might be bugged, or they might just have a naturally lower rate on purpose given how much more people interact with them rather than the harvesting system.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Enemies might be bugged, or they might just have a naturally lower rate on purpose given how much more people interact with them rather than the harvesting system.

the estimates ive seen for drop rate from enemies is between 0.5 and 1%, which is probably higher than aetheric cipher, but still absurdly rare

the only place i would even expect to get them is farming public dungeons
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

the estimates ive seen for drop rate from enemies is between 0.5 and 1%, which is probably higher than aetheric cipher, but still absurdly rare

the only place i would even expect to get them is farming public dungeons

Skyreach.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This is the case for Ink, as far as my pulls on the PTS went. And the current drop rate for Ink from enemies is actually improved from its first iteration. As in, it actually drops now from basepop.

It is also definitely the case for Nirncrux, Rogue’s Soot, Cassiterite Sand, and Grains of Pearl Sand. Those can all come off mobs but at a much, much lower rate than from resource nodes. I didn’t think it was possible for mobs to drop the last three for years, but I have found one of each. Nirn is also scarcer from animals than static nodes, but it does drop from any leather-producing creature in Craglorn or its instances, including camels, daggerback, imps, and welwa. Presumably also goats, but I haven’t seen it yet myself.

Viridian Dust actually comes pretty commonly from any enemy in Vvardenfell, by comparison. And it can come from humans too, despite the patch notes saying it only comes from harvestable resources.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got two ink out of a back pack :)
  • i11ionward
    i11ionward
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm definitely not happy with the new system. I have Focus Scripts, Signature Scripts, Affix Scripts, but I can't start experimenting with new skills because of the damn ink.
    My advice to those who haven't bought the Gold Road, if your goal is Scribing, you better hold off on buying it. Right now Scribing looks like your delicious dinner that you paid money for, but you are not allowed to eat that dinner.

P.S. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin Unfortunately, I can't affect the ink drop in the game, but I'll have you know the first impression of Gold Road is already ruined for me.
    Edited by i11ionward on June 5, 2024 6:31PM
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suggest that one does not experiment when there are excellent class guides out. Get the known top unlocks, then experiment casually with casual ink drops.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is ink dropping from surveys? What about dungeon and trial mobs?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CrashTest wrote: »

from what ive heard reported, ink does not drop from surveys

im sure ink could drop from dungeon and trial mobs, but the chance to drop from enemies is much lower than that from harvesting to the point its better to to probably just spend time harvesting
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So without fear of judgement, …I have a lot of alts that I just use as mules and do daily craft writs. 16. And none gave ink since release of Gold Road. That being said. I have received them while doing daily world boss and daily delves as well as guild dailies. 20 inks so far total. And I am one of those players that loots every single urn and backpack and dresser.

I hope that helps.
  • i11ionward
    i11ionward
    ✭✭✭✭

im sure ink could drop from dungeon and trial mobs, but the chance to drop from enemies is much lower than that from harvesting to the point its better to to probably just spend time harvesting
    I literally just spent 30 minutes harvesting, no ink. Not the kind of grind I expected from ESO.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i11ionward wrote: »

I literally just spent 30 minutes harvesting, no ink. Not the kind of grind I expected from ESO.

from what ive heard the drop rate from nodes is roughly equal to that of nirncrux, which last i remember it was like 1 in 200 chance (0.5% approximately)

one of the best sources ive heard from getting ink is stealing from containers in necrom (theres a lot of containers there)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master

• kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    And here we are yet again with silly drop rates and endless grind.

Sorry ZOS, I'm not grinding in a game for anything. It's a game, not work. Games are supposed to be fun. Still, I have many other games to play. :)

THIS

They forget it's not 10 years ago, and this game isn't fresh. Actually I have lost interest for a while (playing for 10 years btw), and seeing this scribing system made me want to try it out and make cool spells like I imagined years ago.

But this system is nonsense. That ink should be a vendor item.

I mean, why did I spent months back in the day to unlock all the traits for each armor/weapon style? Why can't we expand the existing crafting system to something rewarding, like people who craft a lot get the chance for special mats/inks whatever to create grimoires for others, instead of a dumb grind?

ZOS doesn't really see there are so many other new games. People need so little to leave or just play less and less. With this drop rate, I don't even want to like scribing, because I don't want to waste hours not having fun playing a game.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    merevie wrote: »
    Suggest that one does not experiment when there are excellent class guides out. Get the known top unlocks, then experiment casually with casual ink drops.
    My hope is that ZOS is not designing the game to drive people to the internet content creators…
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had 13 ink the first night after completing all the questing. Two days later doing normal play completing the new zone questline and dailies, and some pvp zone dailies, and I still the same 13 ink. Not looking for more things to farm, so it looks like yet another system ZOS implements that I will have limited or no interest in.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Taggund wrote: »
    I had 13 ink the first night after completing all the questing. Two days later doing normal play completing the new zone questline and dailies, and some pvp zone dailies, and I still the same 13 ink. Not looking for more things to farm, so it looks like yet another system ZOS implements that I will have limited or no interest in.

All of my drops have been when I'm doing my normal mat farming for personal use and selling.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i11ionward wrote: »

from what ive heard the drop rate from nodes is roughly equal to that of nirncrux, which last i remember it was like 1 in 200 chance (0.5% approximately)

one of the best sources ive heard from getting ink is stealing from containers in necrom (theres a lot of containers there)

Nirncrux has a higher rate than Ink for sure for me.

I've gotten Nirn about 2.25% of the time from over 1k resource nodes. A drop rate of 0.6% Ink from 1k nodes means the actual chance shouldn't be above 1%.
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doing less fun things to play a game sounds like insanity. It's a game. I'd rather play another game that's fun until the market is saturated and this one becomes fun...no ink vendor feels like poor planning.

NPCs sell soul gems. So do players.

How about an ink NPC ZOS....one more spot in the Mage's Guild NPC inventory won't hurt.

"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • Cobble123
    Cobble123
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I found 11 during my usual hour of farming this evening. They’re certainly out there if you’re prepared to look for them.
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cobble123 wrote: »
    Ok I found 11 during my usual hour of farming this evening. They’re certainly out there if you’re prepared to look for them.

Yea...maybe my account's bugged. I've farmed for hours...nada.
    "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ink drops so bad I can only assume there is a bug where they aren't dropping as they should.
    50 nodes harvested - no ink. Not even 1.
    Once again silence from ZoS on this as well.
    Crown Crates are a trap. Don't fall for the gamble! Balance? What Balance? Balance, smellance.
    Necro for them RP feels.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    0 Luminous Ink in 20+ hours of PvP (Cyro/BGs)

How are PvPers supposed to use Scribing if we can't get the mats to craft skills?
    PC NA