The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.2 is available.

The werewolf changes.

Skoomah
Skoomah
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
The changes to werewolf are bad and unnecessary. Solo wolves are severely penalized because we don’t have access to Major Breach if we want the full damage bonus to our Howl of Agony. Even at full damage bonus, it is a net 5% damage reduction. We also lose access to Major Savagery as well if we choose the morph to get Major Breach.

So in conclusion, if werewolves choose to be able to apply Major Breach themselves:

- Net 15% damage reduction on howls
- Loss of Major Savagery which the 12% crit rate is crucial towards getting the burst damage required to secure kills
- Becoming wholly dependent on other players providing breach to deal just decent but not great damage

[Snip]. I’m not going to play something that requires a team mate to give me a common debuff like Major Breach and decent damage to a spammable.

I’ve been an avid werewolf player for 8+ years. If these changes go through as is, I’m officially retiring my werewolf. [Snip]

[Edited for minor bashing]
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on April 17, 2024 12:45PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not logged on PTS yet (I plan to do this today once I will be 100% it us save to do so), but just by looking at PTS patch notes it seems like everything aside from changing base WW transformation damge from physical to bleed is overall - a nerf.

I do understand that a lot of players were asking for WWs to have taunt but it is being done at a huge cost to every other WW use-case. And it is not like adding taunt will make all of the sudden a decent tank out of WW. It won't. At best it may be decent in base game normal dungeon. In everything else WW PvE tank will still struggle (especially harder group content).

Besides... we had WW + Tormentor set for PvE tanks. Why they removed AOE taunt from Tormentor ? Was it a problem ? Well, they created this problem & now they are trying to solve it.

On the other hand, I like the idea of WW being able to mark target / pray but from what I have heard it is just a debuff on your enemy with no visual indication, no "overhead" icon, no glow effect on your enemy, nothing that will indicate who has the debuff. You have to look at your enemy to see debuffs they have and see if they have "Terrified" icon. And we all know how that works. If there is a rat in the corner of the room with a boss, it say "rat" if you look at the boss....

[Snip]. It makes your other WW skill dependent on that debuff you have to apply vs just position yourself to "face" your enemy (live server).

Also, it is a missed opportunity to add detection to WW toolkit - something that keeps WW back for years when it comes to PvP and not being penalized for playing as a WW.

At 1st I was excited cuz Werewolf needs buffs and is underperforming in every content possible. But right now I realized that for the most part WW changes are actually nerfs.

[Edited for bashing]
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on April 17, 2024 8:29PM
  • Panderbander
    Panderbander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the more I've looked at these changes the less happy I've become. The bleed inducing light and heavies are great. The idea of having an in-kit taunt is also nice as it does open build opportunities up for tank wolves. But everything else seems to have missed the mark when it comes to helping bring werewolves up to par and on a base level appears like it may actively harm them.

ZOS has needed to get rid of the positional requirements for Howl for a long time but in doing so they appear to have actually made it worse as we're now being asked to use an inferior morph of a skill in order to do the same or less tooltip damage as before while also forcing us to put everything around us on constant CC immunity for a mere 10% damage buff.

I was excited and happy to see attention given to werewolves but now that it has sunk in... not so much anymore.
    Leader of Lycan Syndicate, PC NA's tri-faction werewolf guild.~~~Played since the beta, got the monkey.~~~"The blood of the pack is now yours. They are your only family, your only allegiance!"
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also tested out the werewolf "terrified" debuff on the pts, and it's very underwhelming. There's ZERO visual indication on the enemy. The wording on the pts patch notes about marking your prey made it sounds like it would have an effect like the vampire scion ultimate, where you can see your enemies through walls, and perhaps in stealth as well. This would add so much to the werewolf experience, having a blood scent on your enemies to track them.

I'm glad werewolf is finally getting love, but this isn't enough. Some other very dedicated werewolf players in this thread have pointed out some other insightful points that need to be looked at.

Hircine's rage should scale off weapon/spell damage/max stats, and both morphs should also heal an ally werewolf, to promote working as a pack more.

Minor resolve should be added to their passives.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the idea is it's much easier to get Major Prophecy or Savagery from pots. So if you go with the Major Protection + Breach morph, you now opt to get your crit buff from stam/healh/crit pots instead of using tri pots.

It's not perfect, but I think it has more good than bad in the sense that there is an actual tanking morph now and Major Protection is much harder to obtain than Prophecy/Savagery.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the idea is it's much easier to get Major Prophecy or Savagery from pots. So if you go with the Major Protection + Breach morph, you now opt to get your crit buff from stam/healh/crit pots instead of using tri pots.

It's not perfect, but I think it has more good than bad in the sense that there is an actual tanking morph now and Major Protection is much harder to obtain than Prophecy/Savagery.

With all due respect, I run other potions and don’t want to rely on potions to make up for something that is now fundamentally lacking and taken away from the werewolf kit. We need more options for gameplay, not less.

I personally don’t care for the major protection and didn’t ask for it. I would have preferred it if they left werewolf alone and just let me enjoy it at the level you could at the mid tier ranking it was at. I have no clue why ZOS had to drastically change werewolf around and then basically nerf werewolves.
    Edited by Skoomah on April 17, 2024 7:12PM
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skoomah wrote: »

With all due respect, I run other potions and don’t want to rely on potions to make up for something that is now fundamentally lacking and taken away from the werewolf kit. We need more options for gameplay, not less.

I personally don’t care for the major protection and didn’t ask for it. I would have preferred it if they left werewolf alone and just let me enjoy it at the level you could at the mid tier ranking it was at. I have no clue why ZOS had to drastically change werewolf around and then basically nerf werewolves.

Pretty sure you're coming at this from a PVP perspective, isn't Oakensoul BIS for WW where you get major savagery/prophecy anyway? Shapeshifters Chain certainly isn't as good. In PVP, taunting does nothing. In group PVE, you don't need to provide breach. In solo PVE, it's only you so the taunt shouldn't matter.

My only gripe is it sounds like Deafening Roar does not apply frightened which means you can't use Howl of Agony with it to the full extent. But this is something they could change before live if thats the case as it's silly to block off your best spammable because of a separate skill.

All in all, you still lose 5% spammable damage, but the light/heavy status effect changes coupled with major protection and a reduced cost make up for that loss, I'd consider that negligible... IF terrified can be added to Deafening Roar as it should be.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This "buff"/nerf is 1 step forward and 3 steps back.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Pretty sure you're coming at this from a PVP perspective, isn't Oakensoul BIS for WW where you get major savagery/prophecy anyway? Shapeshifters Chain certainly isn't as good. In PVP, taunting does nothing. In group PVE, you don't need to provide breach. In solo PVE, it's only you so the taunt shouldn't matter.

My only gripe is it sounds like Deafening Roar does not apply frightened which means you can't use Howl of Agony with it to the full extent. But this is something they could change before live if thats the case as it's silly to block off your best spammable because of a separate skill.

All in all, you still lose 5% spammable damage, but the light/heavy status effect changes coupled with major protection and a reduced cost make up for that loss, I'd consider that negligible... IF terrified can be added to Deafening Roar as it should be.

Oakensoul is not BIS and again it is stupid to have to slot an item to get a basic buff like Major Savagery. There’s already a very limited number of sets available to werewolves to be even viable for PVP content.

I personally think PVE werewolves are stupid. Why would you run a werewolf as your tank who can’t properly block through boss battles and such? And why run it for dps when other classes dish out 30k or 25% more damage on live?
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem is that if this changes go through everyone will actually have to use Okakensoul on a Werewolf or they will have to use Ferocious Roar (Prophecy / Savagery is a must have buff for a WW tbh). Right now you can 100% use other mythics (or even don't use mythics at all) and you don't lose much. There is a lot of diversity. Werewolf can also use different potions without being forced to use Prophecy / Savagery pots. And it is great since WW despite being Stamina based, still needs magicka for healing. Using Prophecy / Savagery pots will hurt sustain a bit too much.

Speaking of Deafening Roar not having the Terrified debuf - What it means is if you pick this morph, it makes your other skill (Piercing Howl) weaker, but Deafening Roar itself does not have anything to compensate for that. If Deafening Roar would be a bit stronger than Ferocious Roar, then it makes sense for Piercing Howl to become weaker if you chose Deafening Roar morph, but it is not the case. Both morphs of Roar are more or less equal when it comes to skill power budget.

For many WW players out there (not many of them left tbh) this change means that in order to keep Prophecy/Savagery buff, they will have to switch to Ferocious Roar morph and that also means they will take 5% more damage (no Minor Maim) and will lose 6K Penetration (No Major Breach).
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on April 17, 2024 10:54PM
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭

Problem is that if this changes go through everyone will actually have to use Okakensoul on a Werewolf or they will have to use Ferocious Roar (Prophecy / Savagery is a must have buff for a WW tbh). Right now you can 100% use other mythics (or even don't use mythics at all) and you don't lose much. There is a lot of diversity. Werewolf can also use different potions without being forced to use Prophecy / Savagery pots. And it is great since WW despite being Stamina based, still needs magicka for healing. Using Prophecy / Savagery pots will hurt sustain a bit too much.

Speaking of Deafening Roar not having the Terrified debuf - What it means is if you pick this morph, it makes your other skill (Piercing Howl) weaker, but Deafening Roar itself does not have anything to compensate for that. If Deafening Roar would be a bit stronger than Ferocious Roar, then it makes sense for Piercing Howl to become weaker if you chose Deafening Roar morph, but it is not the case. Both morphs of Roar are more or less equal when it comes to skill power budget.

For many WW players out there (not many of them left tbh) this change means that in order to keep Prophecy/Savagery buff, they will have to switch to Ferocious Roar morph and that also means they will take 5% more damage (no Minor Maim) and will lose 6K Penetration (No Major Breach).
    makes me think I should use a taunt to annoy tanks in duengeons lol.
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This "buff"/nerf is 1 step forward and 3 steps back.

The necro treatment (grave lord's sacrifice)
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also tested out the werewolf "terrified" debuff on the pts, and it's very underwhelming. There's ZERO visual indication on the enemy. The wording on the pts patch notes about marking your prey made it sounds like it would have an effect like the vampire scion ultimate, where you can see your enemies through walls, and perhaps in stealth as well. This would add so much to the werewolf experience, having a blood scent on your enemies to track them.

I'm glad werewolf is finally getting love, but this isn't enough. Some other very dedicated werewolf players in this thread have pointed out some other insightful points that need to be looked at.

Hircine's rage should scale off weapon/spell damage/max stats, and both morphs should also heal an ally werewolf, to promote working as a pack more.

Minor resolve should be added to their passives.

I find the terrified debuff, 'mark', to be the most disappointing of the changes as well. Especially w/ what we are 'giving-up' to get this mark.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The mark doesn’t do anything. It’s not a detection mechanic. It’s utterly useless. Someone actually spent time coding stuff for it.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mark doesn’t do anything. It’s not a detection mechanic. It’s utterly useless. Someone actually spent time coding stuff for it.

Agreed, I broke everything down in my recent thread- https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656516/zos-what-is-your-problem-with-werewolf-balance-change-review#latest, if you want to take a look and post.

Us 'wolf' players have to stick together if we want positive change, especially w/in the next 2-3 years.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • MADPOZBRO
    MADPOZBRO
    Oh boy, oh boy! I just can't wait to get on board with the other werewolves that have only made me feel stupid about being an avid werewolf tank since the initial buff to the tormentor set several years ago.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MADPOZBRO wrote: »
    Oh boy, oh boy! I just can't wait to get on board with the other werewolves that have only made me feel stupid about being an avid werewolf tank since the initial buff to the tormentor set several years ago.

How so? We all, for the most part, want werewolves to be good and be able to compete (somewhat) and bring something to the table regardless of content type.

I made a tank w/ tormentor pre-nerf and tried to do serious content such as vBRP, some dungeon trifectas, etc. It just didn't take the cake then and it won't now.

The main situation is, we all know werewolf needs a complete rework. We also know we won't get that and are extremely lucky to have any changes besides indirect nerfs due to standardizations (I mean, look at this patch for a prime example).

The ability to tank w/ a heavy attack should not come at the cost of our crit buff and an extreme amount of damage (WW is bottom-of-the-barrel in PvE and PvP for damage).

Again, if anything, the initial roar should ALSO apply the taunt in some way and then, potentially, the heavy attack buff.

On my thread, I clearly mention how werewolf lacks immobilizes/ranged taunts/access to certain debuffs/hots/etc. that make it a lot weaker than any other tank, even w/ the new changes.
    Edited by Wuuffyy on April 18, 2024 5:19PM
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • MADPOZBRO
    MADPOZBRO
    Wuuffyy wrote: »

How so? We all, for the most part, want werewolves to be good and be able to compete (somewhat) and bring something to the table regardless of content type.

I made a tank w/ tormentor pre-nerf and tried to do serious content such as vBRP, some dungeon trifectas, etc. It just didn't take the cake then and it won't now.

The main situation is, we all know werewolf needs a complete rework. We also know we won't get that and are extremely lucky to have any changes besides indirect nerfs due to standardizations (I mean, look at this patch for a prime example).

The ability to tank w/ a heavy attack should not come at the cost of our crit buff and an extreme amount of damage (WW is bottom-of-the-barrel in PvE and PvP for damage).

Again, if anything, the initial roar should ALSO apply the taunt in some way and then, potentially, the heavy attack buff.

On my thread, I clearly mention how werewolf lacks immobilizes/ranged taunts/access to certain debuffs/hots/etc. that make it a lot weaker than any other tank, even w/ the new changes.

• MADPOZBRO
    MADPOZBRO
    Oops, hit the button too soon. I agree that a heavy attack taunt is not much help as it is too slow, especially for end game content. For the most part I know the werewolf tank has been resigned to beginner content and is frequently a sitting duck in pvp content. A heavy attack taunt wouldn't be too bad in Imperial City but will definitely struggle with keeping aggro in trials. At least it should taunt a boss that is invulnerable which has been the bane of the tormentor set.
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I figured a solution. I’m just gonna convert my werewolf into a magsorc. The coding for this is too far along. We’re stuck with this guys. Learn to live with it or move on.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I figured a solution. I’m just gonna convert my werewolf into a magsorc. The coding for this is too far along. We’re stuck with this guys. Learn to live with it or move on.

You can't. We have a 30% damage buff and all of our skills (including stamina) cost 25% more.

Part of werewolf efficiency (and the actual damage built in for the kit) is building stam (so it's your highest stat) and you can pull from that "additional" damage.

I've wanted to do this forever, lol and realized it's too difficult to manage w/ how underperforming WW already is, normally. Even then, once you're outta mag from spamming your 5.3k-6k mag skill... it's still gone lol.
    Edited by Wuuffyy on April 18, 2024 6:22PM
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let’s face it. Going mag sorc is way more fun. I can get my melee bloodthirsty satisfaction from my DK. At least with DK, I can actually put my ESO fashion to good use. Werewolf fashion is boring.
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oops, hit the button too soon. I agree that a heavy attack taunt is not much help as it is too slow, especially for end game content. For the most part I know the werewolf tank has been resigned to beginner content and is frequently a sitting duck in pvp content. A heavy attack taunt wouldn't be too bad in Imperial City but will definitely struggle with keeping aggro in trials. At least it should taunt a boss that is invulnerable which has been the bane of the tormentor set.

Agree, if anything though, it should also apply on the initial cast of roar (because you need to proc major breach as a tank anyway). That would help alleviate some of those issues- in my opinion.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let’s face it. Going mag sorc is way more fun. I can get my melee bloodthirsty satisfaction from my DK. At least with DK, I can actually put my ESO fashion to good use. Werewolf fashion is boring.

Maybe in the future we'll get Skill Styles for the Werewolf Transformation skill to allow us to customize how our transformation looks? It'd be cool to be able to change the fur color or use polymorphs like the skeletal werewolf, and so on.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • QuintusVaLari
    QuintusVaLari
    ✭✭✭
    I find it concerning that these changes appear they are made without deep insight or knowledge of how wolves play, or of a thorough understanding of PvP.

I find it more concerning that when a passionate community of WW players come out to talk about how the changes are negative to an already struggling playstyle we are not met with engagement from the other side other than having the title of the thread changed because providing feedback stating that the changes 'suck' is 'minor bashing.'

The changes do suck, for all the reasons Skoom, Pander, and many others have stated in various threads.

We aren't here to bash you, ZOS. We're here because we're passionate about the game and playstyle you created and want to continue enjoying it.

We are simply trying to provide meaningful feedback with numbers, the kind of information expected from a test server. We understand the number of resources ZOS has for PvP and WW balancing is extremely limited and just hope they listen to our concerns and focus on our message instead of the innocuous language used to convey it.

Edited by QuintusVaLari on April 18, 2024 6:35PM
    QuintusVa'Lari
    Former Emperor Sorc Werewolf
    Legendary Squirrel Chaser
    Bringer of Baps

Quintessential Gaming YouTube
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe in the future we'll get Skill Styles for the Werewolf Transformation skill to allow us to customize how our transformation looks? It'd be cool to be able to change the fur color or use polymorphs like the skeletal werewolf, and so on.

This should be a thing. At least dyeable fur colors (and I and many others would be willing to pay extra for this functionality).

You can't even argue the "can't tell which morphs" thing w/ the introduction of the scribing systems+the morphs are already easily distinguished by pets/no pets.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • MADPOZBRO
    MADPOZBRO

This should be a thing. At least dyeable fur colors (and I and many others would be willing to pay extra for this functionality).

You can't even argue the "can't tell which morphs" thing w/ the introduction of the scribing systems+the morphs are already easily distinguished by pets/no pets.

When the pets aren't glitched to death in odd places like they are in Imperial City.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To prove your point, observe this:
    mo8dgfnj7nxp.png

This is a Pack Leader werewolf who was given the brown fur of the unmorphed Werewolf Transformation. Look at the variety of existing werewolf customization options that ZOS could give us:

ufmi9ag3jdvz.png

Don't forget model swaps (polymorphs) like the undead werewolf or the skeletal werewolf:
    5ciwm2r5r90g.png

The best part is, ZOS wouldn't need to create brand new assets for players. These already exist in-game. These might work like the Slate-Gray Summoned Bear collectible, which changes the fur color of Warden's bear from brown to grey.

Players can already hide their armor weight (with outfits) or race (with polymorphs), and Skill Styles serve to change the look of skills, so this is the most reasonable way to give Werewolf players some in-form customization.
    Edited by Erickson9610 on April 18, 2024 7:04PM
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When the pets aren't glitched to death in odd places like they are in Imperial City.

True, true but "eh, good enough" lol.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions
  • Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The problem is solved if both morphs of roar give Major Breach. One morph lets tanks have their protection and taunt. The other morph gives the extra crit and terrorize. One tank morph. One damage morph. Give all wolves breach please!
  • Wuuffyy
    Wuuffyy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is solved if both morphs of roar give Major Breach. One morph lets tanks have their protection and taunt. The other morph gives the extra crit and terrorize. One tank morph. One damage morph. Give all wolves breach please!

Nah> Both morphs should for sure have terrified.

We weren't using the heavy attack morph in PvP and it was only used in PvE b/c fracture is already supplied by the tank.

The best way to handle this would be to allow both to have terrified. You can work around the crit buff to make that a net positive and that should be the trade-off for the protection.
    Wuuffyy,
    ESO player since 2014
    -PM for questions