Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

(REQUEST) unban everyone who was banned for the transmute exploit.

deadpool3431
deadpool3431
✭✭✭
There should be absolutely zero bans for this much less all the people who were permabanned for it. This was a spur of the moment unannounced and unasked for event that had a blatantly obvious bug. The bug should have been found immediately. It was that obvious. At most the punishment for the exploit should have been to have your transmits removed, but permanently banning people or even a 7 day ban for this is overly harsh and shouldn't even be up for consideration.
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on February 29, 2024 7:17PM
  • Drako_Ei
    Drako_Ei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am honestly scared of playing the game at this point.

Remember that time where mobs in imperial city were giving more XP than usual?

People that failed to notice got perma banned. I used to play with a friend that stopped playing because he got banned from this incident.

I dodged a bullet here, because I was going to reconstruct full 3 sets during the event, thank god I didn't
  • kkkkdog
    kkkkdog
    ✭✭
    It would be so nice if they actually made this a priority
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should just appeal the ban and see what happens. The length of any ban will depend on any previous account history, and any innocent cases will hopefully be picked up on appeal.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one of these threads 🙄... here's my feedback for all of them. I've seen a lot of these types of threads all week across the forums.

Here's why theres a lack of responses from zos:
    Customer service is overwhelmed with appeals and are recieving so many demands and requests. So it will take them longer to resolve the issues. The developers could be working on a fix to this bug asap. They're very busy.

Here's a tip:
    Complaining about this won't get the problem resolved any faster. Instead it will slow down the process. It's better to be patient and do something good.

An opinion:
    Those who intentionally exploit the bug and cheat deserve the penalty. Permanent bans are mostly for the repeat offenders. A week long suspension will expire and it's nothing to worry about. It's a less sever penalty.

Here's my response:
    And I do agree with your post on having the extra stuff taken away.

So here is my suggestion:
    If a player is caught exploiting a bug that causes them to receive extra stuff. For first time offenders, they should recieve a warning and their extra stuff taken away. Next time it could be a temporary or a permanent suspension based on the severity of exploiting/cheating and based on the repetition of that behavior.

Remember:
    It's Zenimax decision if a penalty gets reduced, removed, or stays.

Edited by wilykcat on February 28, 2024 9:29PM
  • Drako_Ei
    Drako_Ei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS please make it a priority, one of my friends can
    wilykcat wrote: »
    Another one of these threads 🙄... here's my feedback for all of them. I've seen a lot of these types of threads all week across the forums.

Customer service is overwhelmed with appeals and are recieving so many demands and requests. So it will take them longer to resolve the issues. The developers could be working on a fix to this bug asap. They're very busy.

Here's a tip:
    Complaining about this won't get the problem resolved any faster. Instead it will slow down the process. It's better to be patient and do something good.

An opinion:
    Those who intentionally exploit the bug and cheat deserve the penalty. Permanent bans are mostly for the repeat offenders. A week long suspension will expire and it's not permanent. It's a less sever penalty.

Here's my response:

If a player is caught exploiting a bug that causes them to receive extra stuff. For first time offenders, they should recieve a warning and their extra stuff taken away. Next time it could be a temporary or a permanent suspension based on the severity of exploiting/cheating and based on the repetition of that behavior.

Remember:

The problem is not that the people that exploited want to be forgiven.

Is the people that got banned wrongfuly by deconstructing items on the wrong time. They do review the cases but they take a long time, it shouldn't be a "Ban everyone, review one by one later and unban", it should be a "Review one by one and ban".

• kkkkdog
    kkkkdog
    ✭✭
    @wilykcat there are so many threads because we all are permanently banned with no prior violations on accounts with years of playing time, for something that is completely unjust.

I understand I’m not an employee of Zos but I really can’t expect it to take an entire 7 days to look into these accounts and roll back what was gained.

In my case I didn’t even gain anything. I had weapons before the event to destroy, made a bunch of new ones and destroyed them and made some more. As I had 80+ in my player chest already and thought it was an intended feature.
  • kkkkdog
    kkkkdog
    ✭✭
    And @Drako_Ei im yet to hear from 1 person that has got their decision yet so I’m really not sure what is going on here
  • Ugrak
    Ugrak
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the ban hammer should be swung with some restraint here in my opinion.

It should have never gone live of course. The exploit was the first thing that came to mind for me when the event was announced. For that reason, I also avoided interacting with the transmute part of it entirely and adviced players I spoke with about it to also avoid this due to the high risk of being caught up in the fallout.

The TOS are clear about exploits being sanctionable so it's hard to be sympathetic about people who spotted an exploit of this nature (effectively an item duplication glitch) and then dogpiled it on an industrial scale.

Players who interacted with the event in good faith however shouldn't be sanctioned. Then again how do you separate them from each other in edge cases?

Personally I'm inclined for more lenient approaches than the nuclear option. Persistently problematic players should be removed from the environment to preserve the experience of the others but the treshold should be high enough that it requires effort to get there and the warnings should be unambiguous.

Another aspect in favor of judiciousness and maybe even leniency, is that players with the impression that the ban hammer is swung recklessly should be hesitant to invest time and money into the multi-year project that is an ESO account.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There shouldn't be any ban at all unless someone deliberately printed a ton of nirncrux.

There were too many people who thought this was part of the event or didn't realize what was happening and that's 100% ZoS' fault.

Seriously this is one of the biggest blunders in the game's history and that's a high bar.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on February 28, 2024 10:13PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, OP. I don’t think anyone should be banned for this because it was so obvious, I could see people thinking it intentional, at least to some extent. Honestly, I think it’s a gray area and truly a huge oversight on the part of ZOS, so that leniency would be more appropriate, a loss of currency or materials gained rather than a ban

Most of all though, I think it extremely unacceptable to ban anyone BEFORE a review of the case so that people innocent of any exploitation, whatever your view of it, are being unjustly punished. Perhaps a temporary freeze on transmutes while the issue is investigated but the player could then continue all other aspects of the game could have been a justifiable compromise.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 28, 2024 11:02PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »

Here's a tip:

An opinion:
    Those who intentionally exploit the bug and cheat deserve the penalty. Permanent bans are mostly for the repeat offenders. A week long suspension will expire and it's nothing to worry about. It's a less sever penalty.

Here's my response:

Remember:

I doubt you would be so cavalier if you felt that you had been banned unjustly. If customer service is overwhelmed, that is a problem that ZOS created by mass banning people. It is completely understandable to be upset about such a thing happening at all, much less having to appeal and not hearing anything.

Of course it’s ZOS’s decision, but I wish they would take more care with their end of things, for the health of the game, general player moral, and most especially for players directly effected.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on February 29, 2024 2:46PM
  • MarensDad
    MarensDad
    ✭✭
    Wow, what a mess. I feel for the overworked customer service who have to try and sort this out. I get the first response to ban everyone who exploited the situation, either intentionally or not, but I hope they also realize that is too harsh and can just as quickly reverse ban for those who don't deserve it.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drako_Ei wrote: »
    I am honestly scared of playing the game at this point.

Remember that time where mobs in imperial city were giving more XP than usual?

People that failed to notice got perma banned. I used to play with a friend that stopped playing because he got banned from this incident.

I dodged a bullet here, because I was going to reconstruct full 3 sets during the event, thank god I didn't

the reconstruction wasnt actually a problem, it was the desconstruction of the reconstructed items that was the problem from what i could tell, though i completely understand waiting until they applied the fix to do anything with the system

i have a few dozen reconstructed items i havent deconned yet from well before the event mostly due to being constantly at the hard cap on transmutes (something i believe needs to be removed anyway for eso+ instead of doubling a small number)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kkkkdog wrote: »
    @wilykcat there are so many threads because we all are permanently banned with no prior violations on accounts with years of playing time, for something that is completely unjust.

I understand I’m not an employee of Zos but I really can’t expect it to take an entire 7 days to look into these accounts and roll back what was gained.

In my case I didn’t even gain anything. I had weapons before the event to destroy, made a bunch of new ones and destroyed them and made some more. As I had 80+ in my player chest already and thought it was an intended feature.

So, it was not just the old ones then. Anyway, I do agree permanent bans are too harsh and I hope that y'all get your accounts back, minus anything gained that shouldn't have been.
  • kkkkdog
    kkkkdog
    ✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

So, it was not just the old ones then. Anyway, I do agree permanent bans are too harsh and I hope that y'all get your accounts back, minus anything gained that shouldn't have been.

I did destroy the reconstructed ones because I didn’t think it was an issue, but regardless of if I destroyed the reconned ones or the abundance from my housing chest, it still would have been the same and I did not exceed the amount that I would have legitimately gained and therefore didn’t “ dupe any crystals “
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I did destroy the reconstructed ones because I didn’t think it was an issue, but regardless of if I destroyed the reconned ones or the abundance from my housing chest, it still would have been the same and I did not exceed the amount that I would have legitimately gained and therefore didn’t “ dupe any crystals “

The reconned ones cost less to make than to deconstruct, resulting in extra crystals being awarded. Everyone who did that loop got extra crystals. Getting to keep the ones you had in storage while still getting the benefits of deconning is getting extra crystals.

You're more likely to be successful in your appeal if you can admit you didn't think getting the extras would be an issue and apologize. They already know what you got out of it, they have it in their logs. I wish you good luck in your appeal.
  • kkkkdog
    kkkkdog
    ✭✭
    @spartaxoxo

Well my point was that if I had 80 weapons in my chest from before, and I destroyed 80 of the new weapons, that’s not benefiting off of the new weapons, it would be exactly the same as if I destroyed the old ones and made new cheaper ones and saved them all.

But yes thanks I hope so too, unfortunately still waiting almost 8 days in
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Another instance of this kind of problem was the mass banning related to the endeavours bug. After that, I just lost the will to (intentionally) do endeavours. Incidents like these drive away regular players.
    Edited by vsrs_au on February 29, 2024 12:00AM
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • kkkkdog
    kkkkdog
    ✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Another instance of this kind of problem was the mass banning related to the endeavours bug. After that, I just lost the will to (intentionally) do endeavours. Incidents like these drive away regular players.

I feel like this is a completely different situation, repeating DAILY endeavour to buy multiple radiant apex mounts which players spend thousands to get… compared to a CRAFTING CELEBRATION event that advertised cheaper reconstruction
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exploiting bugs to get free stuff results in bans. Maybe some of you will learn your lesson for when you go play other games.

That said, I do have sympathy for people who only deconstructed 1-2 items instead of using the bug to outright farm crystals (although I've also heard that at least some of the people who only did that did not receive bans).
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on February 29, 2024 12:12AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @spartaxoxo

Well my point was that if I had 80 weapons in my chest from before, and I destroyed 80 of the new weapons, that’s not benefiting off of the new weapons, it would be exactly the same as if I destroyed the old ones and made new cheaper ones and saved them all.

But yes thanks I hope so too, unfortunately still waiting almost 8 days in

80 old weapons x 25 = 2000 crystals

80 old weapons + 80 new weapons = 160 weapons

160 total weapons x 25 = 4000 crystals

So no, not exactly the same. And that is not even taking into consideration if there was any mats gained.
  • kkkkdog
    kkkkdog
    ✭✭

So no, not exactly the same. And that is not even taking into consideration if there was any mats gained.

I’m confused at the maths here because destroying 80 new weapons or 80 old weapons still = 2000 crystals

and I didn’t do any nirncrux was just default enchantment of powered I think they cost 10 gold each
    Edited by kkkkdog on February 29, 2024 12:17AM
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m confused at the maths here because destroying 80 new weapons or 80 old weapons still = 2000 crystals

and I didn’t do any nirncrux was just default enchantment of powered I think they cost 10 gold each

It sounds like you're trying to excuse your behavior with a technicality. Sure, you could have destroyed 80 old weapons and wound up with the same number of crystals, but I'm betting that's not what you did. It's much more likely that you created 80 new weapons, deconstructed them, and ended up with almost 1000 more crystals than you started with, and all (or almost all, maybe you swapped a couple out for new things) of the same weapons. That's obviously exploiting to farm crystals, regardless of how you justify it.

The purpose of the perk was to allow people who already had crystals to spend them more efficiently, not for people to increase their crystal supply.
  • kkkkdog
    kkkkdog
    ✭✭
    @the1andonlyskwex

I already said I destroyed the new ones as I thought it was an intended feature of the crafting celebration? Lol perhaps read the entire thread before making assumptions with your perma ban everyone for making a mistake views.

I fail to see how it’s exploiting crystals when you already have thousands of crystals in reconstructed weapons, are given a massive pop up saying wooo crafting celebration and think you are allowed to do so. As I previously said, technicality or not, I didn’t gain any extra crystals from DECONSTRUCTION( which is the issue here) as I would have if I just destroyed my pre crafted weapons.
    Edited by kkkkdog on February 29, 2024 12:44AM
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @the1andonlyskwex

I already said I destroyed the new ones as I thought it was an intended feature of the crafting celebration? Lol perhaps read the entire thread before making assumptions with your perma ban everyone for making a mistake views.

I fail to see how it’s exploiting crystals when you already have thousands of crystals in reconstructed weapons, are given a massive pop up saying wooo crafting celebration and think you are allowed to do so. As I previously said, technicality or not, I didn’t gain any extra crystals from DECONSTRUCTION( which is the issue here) as I would have if I just destroyed my pre crafted weapons.

Okay. It sounds like you're admitting to exploiting the event bug to farm crystals. Congratulations, you've just admitted to a bannable offense. Good job. Maybe I'll see you in ESO2.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because adding new weapons to your pile brings up the total number of weapons you own. And by extension, the total number of crystals available to you.

2000 crystals (from old weapons) + 2000 crystals (from new weapons) = 4000 crystals.

If I have one bag of peanut M&Ms and I go to the store and buy a new bag of peanut M&Ms, I have two bags of M&Ms. It doesn't matter they are the same flavor.
  • kkkkdog
    kkkkdog
    ✭✭
    @spartaxoxo

I understand that but the issue here was transmutes gained from DECONSTRUCTION.
    Which is why the people who mass crafted and didn’t deconstruct were not banned.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that but the issue here was transmutes gained from DECONSTRUCTION.
    Which is why the people who mass crafted and didn’t deconstruct were not banned.

And you already admitted you created and destroyed new ones, which is what the bans are for doing. So please, just believe me when I say, you're better off admitting that you did gain crystals. You did. Your own explanation has made that very clear and I don't even have the hard evidence the devs handling your case do. They have the logs. They know exactly what you got.

"I did do the crystal thing. I thought it was allowed but upon further reflection I should have known better. I am sorry! I won't do it again," is much more likely to be win your appeal than trying to say you had 80 weapons already. That argument makes things worse.

I'm not saying this stuff to be mean. I am trying my best to help you out. This argument doesn't make sense. Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this. I wish you the best of luck. Regardless of what all of you guys did, I don't believe anyone deserves a permanent ban for it. I do think the temp ban was deserved and that any extra stuff should be removed. But permanent seems too harsh given the circumstances. Good luck on your appeal.
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, they did tell us to "make the most out of making things."
    6gtbbxwcl1to.png
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, they did tell us to "make the most out of making things."
    6gtbbxwcl1to.png

Notice that they didn't say "(repeatedly) making and unmaking things".
This discussion has been closed.