The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ZOS didn't raise pop cap for MYM event, cap lowest in history of Cyrodiil, queue times longest ever

CrazyKitty
CrazyKitty
✭✭✭✭
Well, they did it.

I'm so disappointed ZOS didn't raise the population cap for the Whitestrakes Mayhem event. The pop cap is only 60/faction right now. Compare that to the original population cap of 600/faction. Populations locked for all three factions before the event even began today, before 10:00. At 12:00 queue time was already over an hour. During prime time I'd guess queue times will be a minimum of 2 hours. Queue times this long essentially locks us out of our home campaign for the duration of the event.

This is so sad. Even worse, this is what we've come to expect from ZOS as PvP players. It's never going to get any better it seems. Even for an event showcasing Cyrodiil they can't seem to do the right thing for the PvP community. This is incredibly disheartening and disappointing. How are those of us that have daily scheduled guild raids supposed to deal with this?

What would the PvE community do and say if they had to wait in line for 2 hours to play the game?

Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 10, 2024 4:26PM
  • Reginald_leBlem
    Reginald_leBlem
    ✭✭✭✭
    60 per faction is not very many... how did we find that number?
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And they did not make many other additional options to play!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

guesses/speculation, thats it (i dont believe its that low, but i also believe that what we have is too low still)

the last like 3 years the queue times for grey host have had 2 hour queue times during the whitestrake event, always

even blackreach gets like nearly 40-60 in the queue during the event, so i always end up playing in one of the 7 day cp camps which usually dont have queue or small queues
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I joined they Gray Host queue(PC-EU) earlier was in position 101....

Played 2 of 3 Npc ToT Dailies didn't have time for a third. I can deal with that!

Tomorrow however I think I will probably queue earlier cos, well it's the weekend!! :)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭

guesses/speculation, thats it (i dont believe its that low, but i also believe that what we have is too low still)

the last like 3 years the queue times for grey host have had 2 hour queue times during the whitestrake event, always

even blackreach gets like nearly 40-60 in the queue during the event, so i always end up playing in one of the 7 day cp camps which usually dont have queue or small queues

What do you think the population caps are now?

Why do you think ZOS has refused to tell us what the pop caps are since 2015? I think it's because they know full well how badly their treating the PvP community with these crazy low pop caps and they don't want to give us official verification that the pop caps are now 10% of what they were when the game was released.
    Options
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CrazyKitty wrote: »
    Well, they did it.

I'm so disappointed ZOS didn't raise the population cap for the Whitestrakes Mayhem event. The pop cap is only 60/faction right now. Compare that to the original population cap of 600/faction. Populations locked for all three factions before the event even began today, before 10:00. At 12:00 queue time was already over an hour. During prime time I'd guess queue times will be a minimum of 2 hours. Queue times this long essentially locks us out of our home campaign for the duration of the event.

This is so sad. Even worse, this is what we've come to expect from ZOS as PvP players. It's never going to get any better it seems. Even for an event showcasing Cyrodiil they can't seem to do the right thing for the PvP community. This is incredibly disheartening and disappointing. How are those of us that have daily scheduled guild raids supposed to deal with this?

What would the PvE community do and say if they had to wait in line for 2 hours to play the game?

Yeah, this PvP event is the worst experience I've ever endured with one of these events. I remember just a few years ago when they would increase performance in Cyrodiil for these events, but not anymore. They didn't have to make this event so miserable. They could have made accommodations for the event, dedicated more server resources for the event just like they used to, but they chose not to. I disconnected twice in two hours today during guild raid. I was lucky and got back in, but not only are pop caps the lowest in history, performance is still atrocious. Cyrodiil PvP just keeps getting to be a worse and worse experience over time. And they stated point blank that there will be no improvements to Cyrodiil in all of 2024. It's shameful.

ZOS can put time and money into improving ToT, but not the premier end game activity in ESO? This looks really bad from a consumer perspective.

Edited by reazea on February 23, 2024 4:51PM
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reazea wrote: »

What do you think the population caps are now?

Why do you think ZOS has refused to tell us what the pop caps are since 2015? I think it's because they know full well how badly their treating the PvP community with these crazy low pop caps and they don't want to give us official verification that the pop caps are now 10% of what they were when the game was released.

i dont know any exact numbers (and wont guess that), just that its too low, it was like that before the high pop stress test, and still feels the same after they reverted the numbers from the test numbers

during the pop stress test, thats what cyro felt like it should be, many scattered medium-large fights, ball groups no longer being a real problem unless there was like 2+ of them in the same keep fight

ill just say its "too low" when you only see like maybe 0-2 medium-large fights on a map but the camp is poplocked across all factions and there are periods where it feels like nothing is happening

i think they should increase the caps, but they would also have to figure out the other issues (mainly the disconnections and such) that happen during large fights, as those still happen even with the current pop caps we have right now
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on PC NA in afternoons EST

No-CP has 2 instances both have been pretty empty during that time for the past 2 days.

Got Cyrodiil Treasure maps done, and able to get scouting quests done with out seeing any other players.

Kind of boring event so far with only group I did was the first day of Mayhem with 5 others, took one keep then the group disanded.

Hopefully it will pick up.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Options
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭
    As predicted today was even worse than Thursday and Friday.

I logged in extra early today in hopes of making it in time for scheduled guild raid. I logged in at 6am. Got through the queue at 6:30am (all factions locked prior to 6am EST, that's 3am west coast time). When I did finally get into Greyhost, I disconnected while riding up to the very first fight after being in cyrodiil about 2 minutes, so I just gave up.

This really is an unjustifiable situation ZOS has created in cyrodiil. Guilds are talking about calling off all their scheduled guild raids until the event is over this is so bad.

Why couldn't ZOS raise the pop cap for the event to avoid this situation? Why is the current pop cap literally 10% of what it was when the game was released 10 years ago anyway?
    Options
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you go around and do a head count to get that accurate number?
    Options
  • Laenendil
    Laenendil
    ✭✭✭

Actually, several pvp guilds kind of did it yes. Of course, it's not 100% accurate, but we all (about 10 pvp guilds on EU) came to the conclusion that the cap was close to 60. So unless a lot of people were hidding in the forgotten places of Cyrodi, this number is *kind of* accurate.

And even if it wasn't that accurate, the indiscutable truth is the player cap has never been that low and Cyrodil population is far too low to be really enjoyable.

Shame on ZOS for never taking care of PVP seriously in 10 years. They give shittons of resources for overland pve questing and almost none for PVP.
    Edited by Laenendil on February 24, 2024 8:07PM
    Options
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC NA No-CP was still pretty empty and boring this afternoon. Every other Mayhem it had lots more players.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Today my guild that runs a daily guild raid in Greyhost cancelled guild raids for the remainder of the event, and we had a long discussion about what other game we might want to move to so we can avoid these situations in the future. There is a good chance we might stop playing ESO all together so we don't have to deal with this kind of thing again.
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, it's possible to do an exact head count. The cap is 60 players/faction now. The original cap was 600/faction, just for reference.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, it's possible to do an exact head count. The cap is 60 players/faction now. The original cap was 600/faction, just for reference.

How is it possible? If it is possible the supporting information for such a claim can be provided here in the forums. I say that because we are not able to run around counting players.

Options
  • KS_Amt38
    KS_Amt38
    ✭✭✭
    Pop-locked campaigns with zero sieges is not how i imagined a PvP Event tbh.
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

How is it possible? If it is possible the supporting information for such a claim can be provided here in the forums. I say that because we are not able to run around counting players.

There is at least one add on that can do a head count. It was created because ZOS won't tell us what the cap is, and the add on is not available on minion.

Edited by SaffronCitrusflower on February 25, 2024 12:39AM
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree that the numbers are pure speculation. Even what the original cap was years ago is probably speculation but it does not matter since there is no reasonable expectation that we would see 600 players per faction in one campaign.

There is at least one add on that can do a head count. It was created because ZOS won't tell us what the cap is, and the add on is not available on minion.

Why not name the addon and provide a link to download it? The suggestion that the cap is set to 60 has seemed to cryptic.

Options
  • GooGa592
    GooGa592
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the numbers are pure speculation. Even what the original cap was years ago is probably speculation but it does not matter since there is no reasonable expectation that we would see 600 players per faction in one campaign.

Why not name the addon and provide a link to download it? The suggestion that the cap is set to 60 has seemed to cryptic.

I'm also aware of a private software program that can do a head count of the zone a player is in. It's private though, and I wouldn't call it an add on, and the author specifically stated that the software is not to be shared publicly. It was created specifically to determine populations in cyrodiil and doesn't do anything else. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find out what it's called and where to get it. If ZOS would just tell us what the cap was and when they made changes to the cap software like this would not be necessary.
    Edited by GooGa592 on February 25, 2024 3:37PM
    Options
  • Reginald_leBlem
    Reginald_leBlem
    ✭✭✭✭
    GooGa592 wrote: »

I'm also aware of a private software program that can do a head count of the zone a player is in. It's private though, and they've specifically stated that the software not be shared. It was created specifically to determine populations in cyrodiil and doesn't do anything else. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find out what it's called and where to get it.

How do we know it actually works?
    Options
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm also aware of a private software program that can do a head count of the zone a player is in. It's private though, and I wouldn't call it an add on, and the author specifically stated that the software is not to be shared publicly. It was created specifically to determine populations in cyrodiil and doesn't do anything else. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find out what it's called and where to get it. If ZOS would just tell us what the cap was and when they made changes to the cap software like this would not be necessary.

If it is private it is not open for us to know it is accurate or even close to it. As such we have no reason to take anyone's word on the matter.

Show me the real data is how I roll.

Options
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭

If it is private it is not open for us to know it is accurate or even close to it. As such we have no reason to take anyone's word on the matter.

Not that I disagree with your statement, but play Cyrodiil on a regular basis and it becomes clear that this number is at the very least a close guess.
    Options
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you get ZOS to tell us what the population cap is in cyrodiil with an official announcement then you'll have a valid point.
    Options
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anecdotally, the queues have felt worse for me as well.

Now, I have always loved MYM. It's actually my favorite event (save for possibly the Anniversary event when you get boxes for writs!).

However I realized, after reading this thread, that the change to the scroll, such that the buff only lasts during the event, has taken a lot of the fun out of things, when you combine it with the queue length.

I have many alts, and one of the things I LOVE to do during MYM is not only get my T1's on every character, but snag extra skill points on my characters who don't PvP as much. Therefore I don't log in with one character and use that toon throughout the play session, but I like to play for a bit and then swap around. It's way more fun. Heal for a little while, then DPS, then be tanky-ish. Enjoy alts I don't play on as often.

The queue length is really punishing for this play style. If you swap to a new toon, you have to start over with the queue. It used to be that I could at least go to a low pop campaign, pop the scroll, and save those two hours for when the event was over, to enjoy the benefits of the event without the queue... but that's all over now. I realized I'm not even bothering to wait in the queue because of this. If I can't even get IN, or if the wait time takes longer than it takes me to reach Tier 1 normally, my attitude has started to change to... "I'll PvP when the event is over." That seems to me to be a big fail of a PvP event!

I used to say the queues weren't so bad, and during the event I'd spend all my play time swapping from toon to toon... but it feels extra rough this year. Those extra hours per toon weren't hurting anyone, but went a long way towards me tolerating the queue length and feeling like I'd get something out of the event, no matter what.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

When you get ZOS to tell us what the population cap is in cyrodiil with an official announcement then you'll have a valid point.

My point is solid and precise. It is the existence, let alone accuracy, of the mysterious addon that is in question.

Options
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also aware of a private software program that can do a head count of the zone a player is in. It's private though, and I wouldn't call it an add on, and the author specifically stated that the software is not to be shared publicly. It was created specifically to determine populations in cyrodiil and doesn't do anything else.
    It would be enough for me to know how this "addon" is doing the count - I mean just technically.

I did something to get a very close estimation of the class distribution and I'm pretty sure that the numbers I get are in a 95% confidence interval. (after 14 month running it)

But I have no clue how to get these body counts done.
    I guess there are lua to get a count of (visible? I hope so :) ) ppl around - but this is limited to a distance. (at least I guess it)
    Then you have to jump to minimum 100+ places to count it for the whole Cyro.
    And beside that during that travel-time a lot can change, you still can't be sure that you miss many (some?) players.
    I'm quite often in the middle of nowhere (or better at the edge of nowhere) and I'm often surprised that I'm not alone there.
    There are skyshard/chest/dungeon/receipe hunter/searcher everywhere where you don't expect them to be.
    Even if you would ask in zonechat to come all to xyz - 20% or so wouldn't come for sure - for different reasons.

So I never understood that ppl say 60 (as a fact!) and why there couldn't be 75 or 80 or even 85?

If someone could explain me the technology behind that "adddon" (in short) I would really appreciate.
    Edited by Zabagad on February 27, 2024 5:28AM
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD
    Options
  • dcrush
    dcrush
    ✭✭✭✭
    As if the (estimated) low pop cap isn’t bad enough, the performance is abysmal. I’ve crashed four times today and from what I see in zone chat I’m not the only one.
    Options
  • JustLovely
    JustLovely
    ✭✭✭✭

My point is solid and precise. It is the existence, let alone accuracy, of the mysterious addon that is in question.

Where and when has ZOS told us what the current population cap is in Cyrodiil?
    Options
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    mayhem-boring.jpg

Gray Host PC-EU, a bit earlier tonight. All three factions are pop locked (dc had a small queue), and we're in the middle of mym. It doesn't really matter what the exact number is, it's too low, half the keeps on this map should be on fire.
    Options
This discussion has been closed.