Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Oakensoul Ring and mythic sets

moo_2021
moo_2021
✭✭✭✭
Can the Oakensoul Ring not be counted as a mythic set for the 1 set restriction? It's really a gameplay style choice (who'd use one bar without the ring?) and absolutely necessary for forever noobs like me, but then we lose access to all other interesting items.

In exchange the ring could lose a few buffs that nobody does on back bar, for example minor heroism or empower.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    empower is a big reason Oakensoul gets used

But that's pve only, also minor aegis. Or give us a strip downed version not counting as mythic.

Btw why is oak ring important for a ha build? Isn't ha build slow-paced and easier to use a back bar already?
    Edited by moo_2021 on February 5, 2024 10:19AM
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    moo_2021 wrote: »
    Can the Oakensoul Ring not be counted as a mythic set for the 1 set restriction? It's really a gameplay style choice (who'd use one bar without the ring?) and absolutely necessary for forever noobs like me, but then we lose access to all other interesting items.

In exchange the ring could lose a few buffs that nobody does on back bar, for example minor heroism or empower.

As you said, it's a gameplay choice. I run Oakensoul on all my builds because of the simplicity. I honestly hated having to run two bars because, for me, as I play on PC with a controller- the lag during bar swap would sometimes cause the bar to not actually swap- and it would take me a few seconds to realize the bar didn't actually swap; it made the game extremely frustrating for me. However, since Oakensoul, I have enjoyed the game so much more because I can get all the buffs that I'd normally have to slot skills to get, and can instead focus on playing the game. I have yet to find any content (that I enjoy) that I cannot succeed at with a one-bar build.

I am the same way. I could manage 50+ keybinds on my hunter in wow, but I can't manage bar swapping due to lag issues. Heck, I can't even get ultimates to go off inside of 5 seconds at times. I have to literally spam the button for that long to get ults to work.

My biggest issue with oakensoul is that I really wish I had one more ability slot with it.

For example on my arcanist I run Fatecarver, a Heal, Spammable, a utility, a buff and then the ult. The issue is I need more than 1 utility, and or more than 1 buff.

I understand that the UI in ESO was to placate to the needs or console controllers and to work with PC, but I really really wish at times this game had hot bars with buttons instead of the bar swap mechanic (I miss making macros with emotes for fast emoting in wow).

All of that being said. I like bar swapping in new world, probably becasue their weapons actually convey that you are using an actual weapon...ESO does not feel that way to me, its a bit disconnected, especially becasue most builds revolve around back bar buffing, front bar damage. I prefer when weapons are swapped that you are using that weapon for its abilities. Its hard to describe and I loath new world, but they got their weapon feel down right.
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakensoul enables me to stay alive a lot easier (in everything but the last chapter bosses generally). I don't play the HA style, I've never liked heavy attacking; I just run a few class skills and a weapon skill - works for me. Satellite mega-ping and aging reflexes always made barswapping a crapshoot for me, so Oakensoul is kind of miraculous for me.

I don't want the ring nerfed any more than it already has been, so no thanks OP.
    Edited by TaSheen on February 5, 2024 2:38PM

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    empower is a big reason Oakensoul gets used

But that's pve only, also minor aegis. Or give us a strip downed version not counting as mythic.

Btw why is oak ring important for a ha build? Isn't ha build slow-paced and easier to use a back bar already?

no because lots of people use Oakensoul to avoid keeping up temporary buffs, barswapping, and with empower to heavy attack weave if weaving at all.

because a lot of Oakensoul users are disabled and barswapping regularly, keeping up temporary buffs, and light attack weaving can be painful.

it's why i use Oakensoul.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Bobargus
    Bobargus
    ✭✭✭✭
    What the original poster's probably saying is that "there are other mythic items that i would like to use, but i feel like i am forced to using Oakensoul".

If that is so, then i feel the same way as well.
    Edited by Bobargus on February 5, 2024 4:23PM
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the original poster asking to be able to use another mythic AS WELL AS Oakensoul? I'm not quite clear.

If that is what the poster is asking, I really think that would hugely imbalance gameplay because of the sheer quantity of buffs Oakensoul gives you already. And I've recently started using Oakensoul (I only play PvE) because it's just a lot less annoying.

As for stripping it of empower, etc, people WANT the DPS buffs for Oakensoul. That's essentially the point of the ring!! It's the main reason I got it. So I could solo DLC dungeons more easily. I *didn't* get it just to be able to play with one bar and, indeed, you can do that without Oakensoul if you want to and use something else like pale order or whatever.
    Edited by Northwold on February 5, 2024 5:13PM
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »
    Is the original poster asking to be able to use another mythic AS WELL AS Oakensoul? I'm not quite clear.

Yes. Isn't losing the back bar already a huge disadvantage itself, especially in pvp where you can't keep back bar HoTs and set procs?

That's why I propose a non-mythic version - if it's solely meant as a replacement of backbar buffs, major resolve+ brutality+savagery plus minor endurance/intellect would be enough? it'd still be one bar and player can add another mythic.

Or just give us the 3 major buffs when we have no secondary weapon :D
    Edited by moo_2021 on February 5, 2024 6:52PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to find another mythic that I'd want to use. Oakensoul is a perfect fit for me, and others. So no, no more nerfs.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

• Rkindaleft
    Rkindaleft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allowing Oakensoul to be run with other mythic items would completely break the balance of the game. You have access to 100% uptime on several (seventeen!) buffs with the trade off being you are forced into running a single bar. You could drop a few buffs as you said but it would still be totally broken af and there would be absolutely zero reason to run anything else on almost all builds.

Not to mention it would also be a nerf to the people who use/require Oakensoul as an accessibility option/HA playstyle.
    https://youtube.com/@rkindaleft My channel for console based DPS parses and HM/trifecta. I play on the PlayStation NA server.

Tick Tock Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Xalvakka's Scourge
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why? This is the primary idea behind mythic gear, ie only one one allowed per build. Making an established gear item non-mythical is rather nonsensical.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LalMirchi wrote: »

Why? This is the primary idea behind mythic gear, ie only one one allowed per build. Making an established gear item non-mythical is rather nonsensical.

I cant speak for the person you are quoting, but I would guess becasue oakensoul allows for a completely different way to play the game and for some its necessary (arthritis, bad latancy, health, etc).

"𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your "loss of access" is a build choice when you use oakensoul. Presumably you are aware of its balancing restrictions, so you are free to use it or not use it. I have the oakensoul ring and I use it on 2 characters. My other 9 don't bother with it because I want the flexibility of having 2 bars, and I do just fine without it on those characters. Not sure what the big issue is. If you feel it is too restrictive, then just use a different mythic item or build. Nobody's forcing you to use it.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what the big issue is.

Oakensoul allows for a completely different way to play the game and for some its necessary (arthritis, bad latancy, health, etc). I think that is why they are suggesting what they are. I don't want to see it removed as a mythic or get its own slot, but I understand their reasoning. I have to run oakensoul on every build now due to latancy (bar swapping is not even remotely reliable in high ping).

PC/NA
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oakensoul allows for a completely different way to play the game and for some its necessary (arthritis, bad latancy, health, etc). I think that is why they are suggesting what they are. I don't want to see it removed as a mythic or get its own slot, but I understand their reasoning. I have to run oakensoul on every build now due to latancy (bar swapping is not even remotely reliable in high ping).

Oh so true!

• Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

Oh so true!

And the issue is, there is nothing I can do to fix it. I moved overseas and cant transfer my account and there is no way I am parting with the well over 2500 dollars spent on this game so I am stuck playing thousands of miles away.

Bar swapping and ultimates are not even close to reliable (neither is break free).

The thing I hate is that I don't get to play with the utility I am used to that back bar allows for (you know as an old hunter how much ultility we had, between traps, taunts, flare, etc).

PC/NA
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make Might of the Guild Empower bonus duration like 30 seconds. I'll be the first to trash Oaken and replace it with Pale Order.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh so true!

Oh so true!

And the issue is, there is nothing I can do to fix it. I moved overseas and cant transfer my account and there is no way I am parting with the well over 2500 dollars spent on this game so I am stuck playing thousands of miles away.

Bar swapping and ultimates are not even close to reliable (neither is break free).

The thing I hate is that I don't get to play with the utility I am used to that back bar allows for (you know as an old hunter how much ultility we had, between traps, taunts, flare, etc).

Oh, it could be worse for you - you could live overseas AND have only satellite for connection! Seriously, I wouldn't wish satellite ping on my worst enemy.... I'm pretty used to the high ping now, but boy was i in trouble for the first few years I lived here!

And yes - I used nearly every key plus CTRL, SHIFT, ALT on my hunters. Of course, I was a lot younger then, had "real broadband" (before moving out here), good reflexes....

• Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh so true!

Oh so true!

Oh, it could be worse for you - you could live overseas AND have only satellite for connection! Seriously, I wouldn't wish satellite ping on my worst enemy.... I'm pretty used to the high ping now, but boy was i in trouble for the first few years I lived here!

And yes - I used nearly every key plus CTRL, SHIFT, ALT on my hunters. Of course, I was a lot younger then, had "real broadband" (before moving out here), good reflexes....

Ya, satalite ping is pretty bad. I think the starlink stuff is ok, but never looked I to it.

I just really dislike how bar swapping plays out with high ping. You go to bar swap, nothing happens, so you swap again and nothing happens because latancy caught up and you are back where you started. It's not so bad with abilities because you can spam them, but that does not work with bar swapping.

PC/NA
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    Make Might of the Guild Empower bonus duration like 30 seconds. I'll be the first to trash Oaken and replace it with Pale Order.

Honestly this is the best suggestion that would make it easy to run a heavy attack build without having to use Oakensoul.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."