The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Tab tab tab tab tab tab tab tab...

MoonPile
MoonPile
✭✭✭✭
I may get carpal tunnel from Housing Editor.

Item selection is terrible / hilarious. Some things have a massive hitbox and others a tiny point somewhere in a stupid location that makes placing them feel like purgatory (Ahem, TREES: can't even see it when placing).

Then when you want to edit a piece, tab-select gets every other thing within like a 100-meter radius EXCEPT the one you need. Until you've tab-tab-tabbed so many times that you accidentally skip it and have to start again. So you resort to Retrieve menu... but wait, which Leyawiin Turret were you looking for? Is it the one 61m away, or 62m, or 65 m? (All in the wrong direction from where you're facing since your character got rotated to open the menu.)

I know about EHT, grouping items to change the rotation point, etc. Still annoying.
Just letting off steam, I highly doubt they will change this ever.
  • Diebesgut
    Diebesgut
    ✭✭✭✭

... on Playstation it's most of the time just point and click... but the ruby candlefly gathering is difficult to handle 🤔

Khajiit Sicherheitsdienst ~ Überprüfung von Schlössern aller Art ~ Khajiit Security ~ Inspection of any kind of locks
    Khajiit Gebrauchtwaren ~ Handel mit Waren aller Art ~ Khajiit Store ~ Trading of any kind of goods
    Playstation
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the retrieve menu could improve to help you know which item you're selecting when you have multiples of the same near each other.

I had the same issue with tab tab tab tab tab in a recent build I was making, but it's actually soooo nice that we can tab target furnishings now that idk what to even suggest as an improvement.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the retrieve menu could improve to help you know which item you're selecting when you have multiples of the same near each other.

I had the same issue with tab tab tab tab tab in a recent build I was making, but it's actually soooo nice that we can tab target furnishings now that idk what to even suggest as an improvement.

Yeah that would be a nice improvement to Retrieve. When I was working on something, I thought "it'd be nice if I could name this tower to know which it is". Just a thought though, not a good solution - like nobody wants to name every hedge out of dozens in landscaping.

Anyway it's silly and a nuisance, but definitely a case of "the street finds its own uses for things". They probably imagined users decorating with a few items clustered at most, not heavily-layered cobbling like we actually do.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That’s a good idea, like maybe it could outline the particular item in yellow or something.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve never tried the tabbing thing, is it one direction only or can you go forwards and backwards some way, like tab to go forward and shift tab to go backwards or something?
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tab is not perfect, especially in a dense decorated area...

....but man I am sure happy to have it. So much easier to dig out that item behind an item (even if I have to spam tab 15 times to find it).
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    I’ve never tried the tabbing thing, is it one direction only or can you go forwards and backwards some way, like tab to go forward and shift tab to go backwards or something?

One direction, that's why "you've tab-tab-tabbed so many times that you accidentally skip it and have to start again." A way to go backwards would be a slight help.

For anyone who cobbles, landscapes, places things out-of-bounds, or basically anything beyond sparse decoration, it's not possible to select something by direct click, since pivot points become obscured.

It's interesting that the housing system is simultaneously one of the most flexible I've ever seen (even compared to The Sims for example), while also being so restrictive in UI and item limit. Like they didn't anticipate what players would do with all this freedom.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Highly recommend playing with a controller or at least rebinding keyboard hotkeys. The default keybinds will break your hand. Sprint is probably the worst offender. My pinky went numb the first hour I played ESO. Not sure how the ZOS dev team finds their default keybinds playable.
    PC NA
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Highly recommend playing with a controller or at least rebinding keyboard hotkeys. The default keybinds will break your hand. Sprint is probably the worst offender. My pinky went numb the first hour I played ESO. Not sure how the ZOS dev team finds their default keybinds playable.

Oh yeah this is a separate issue, but the lack of sprint toggle is something I've asked them for as well, through all the ways we have to contact them. Lately I get around that other ways and don't need to sprint so much, but it's awful for new players.

Controller is not the solution for me though. And the tabbing issue, even if rebound, you'd still have to press *something* multiple times to find an item in a dense cluster. It needs a better UI solution; unfortunately I can't offer an example att.