Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 19:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – February 21, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – February 21, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)

Please update the base game motifs

aspergalas4
aspergalas4
✭✭✭✭
I think it's about time that the base game motifs all received an update to match them up graphically to the newer motifs released in recent years. It is difficult to use them in the outfit station due to the jarring difference in quality. Comparing the base game motifs to new motifs and outfit styles released makes them look like they are from a different game.

I think many in the community want this and it would also be a step towards updating the base game zones as all the NPCs will have the updated armour designs also. Which would synergise well with some of the newer costumes and such being added into vanilla zone NPCs in recent years.

I am not advocating for a retexture only either, I think some remodelling would be necessary for certain styles that are simply outdated when it comes to aesthetic and proportions. Good example being the Dark Elf Motif. I hope ZOS eventually gets round to this, it would be great to hear if this is in the works.
  • kaffeend
    kaffeend
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Also agree with the Dark Elf styles.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. The style itself is awesome but the textures could well receive an update to modern standards.
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole base game needs a graphical update not just the motifs. Zones should upgrade textures, models and detail density to be in line with newer zones and they should do continuity changes to zones like Rift and Winterhold to look more like the mainline game.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fata1moose wrote: »
    The whole base game needs a graphical update not just the motifs. Zones should upgrade textures, models and detail density to be in line with newer zones and they should do continuity changes to zones like Rift and Winterhold to look more like the mainline game.

Yep.

My wife and I were talkiing the other day how we hate going to old zones to do antiquities, treasure maps, or anything that takes us to old zones. They just look so bad compared to the new stuff. It's really hard to like the old base game due to graphics alone. Its jarring.

"𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can we have more of non gothic armor styles? E.g. modern clothing, aztecs or rajput?
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »
    The change made to the Redguard motif wasn't very well received, so altering all of the really old motifs now would receive even worse criticism.

Old Redguard styles:
    u8ys0vxzyvtt.jpgklx6bbcak5o4.jpg

Redguard style today:
    z1uqhaxdf06q.jpge7w8pn4c9x6h.jpg

Apples and oranges.

All that needs to be done is make the same style as before, but in higher resolution. The examples you linked are not even the same outfits, regardless of whether they were the replacements or not.

"𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah at the very least a texture update is needed, but it would be great if they added some bulk to some of the heavier styles so it isn't just flat on our character. The motifs have a come a long way and players like EF321 are very much outliers (no offence). If they could be updated in a way that doesn't disrupt the aesthetic of existing outfits, so basically just enhances the detail, then I don't think ZOS will face much criticism. But then again they don't care for the criticism they receive anyway given how much stuff in this game is neglected because their focus is on what can be monetised. So have at it and update them please.

Also the Redguard motif was absolutely fine before (at least the lower tiers as shown in this thread) so I don't actually get why it was updated haha, don't do that kind of update please just do what is asked. I want to use the Wood Elf and Primal motifs in outfits badly but the textures just suck.
    Edited by aspergalas4 on February 3, 2024 7:53PM
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tincanman wrote: »
    ... art/design school would not be necessary).

At the risk of appearing controversial and speaking as a scientist.....

/s

But, no thanks - I'm pretty sure Matt Firor commented many years ago about problems of updating older game assets: some love the idea and many more loathe it so it's better to just leave well enough alone.

I like the older stuff. I like the newer stuff, too.

Something for everyone.

Also, I'd prefer the designers spent their time and my money working on completely new stuff rather than trashing 'reimagining' their predecessors work.

Its not about trashing/reimaging older work, its about the realiztion that the game looks old to new players, especially becasue the game starts you out now in the most current zone.

Every MMORPG that has lasted a decade or more has refreshed the game, its not a matter of opinon, its a necessity for sustained growth, and these are not my words, they are the actions of games that make far far far more money than ESO could ever dream of.

Also, they have the resources to hire artists to remake the older assets, there is no need to take from one area of the game to work on another.
    PC/NA
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got Ancestral versions of the basegame motifs, probably because of how they said that they won't change older assets that would change people's look. Imagine you log on and suddenly your shoulders clip with your robes. : P

That said, they should update the basegame NPCs to have the fancy new motif styles--that would be a big undertaking, though. I'm looking forward to maybe getting Ancestral Khajiit/Argonian/Bosmer one day.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    Yeah at the very least a texture update is needed, but it would be great if they added some bulk to some of the heavier styles so it isn't just flat on our character. The motifs have a come a long way and players like EF321 are very much outliers (no offence). If they could be updated in a way that doesn't disrupt the aesthetic of existing outfits, so basically just enhances the detail, then I don't think ZOS will face much criticism. But then again they don't care for the criticism they receive anyway given how much stuff in this game is neglected because their focus is on what can be monetised. So have at it and update them please.

Also the Redguard motif was absolutely fine before (at least the lower tiers as shown in this thread) so I don't actually get why it was updated haha, don't do that kind of update please just do what is asked. I want to use the Wood Elf and Primal motifs in outfits badly but the textures just suck.

Oh come on, Wood Elf is one of the best base game motifs there is.
    3bf2mfik5g7a.png

I don't disagree, it's why I want it in HD. I want it to go with the newer motifs so I can use it in more of my outfits. Your image, imagine better textures and the bones actually protruding from the chest piece, wouldn't take a lot of work and wouldn't change the actual look. Would just improve it.
    Edited by aspergalas4 on February 3, 2024 10:25PM
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh come on, Wood Elf is one of the best base game motifs there is.
    3bf2mfik5g7a.png

I don't disagree, it's why I want it in HD. I want it to go with the newer motifs so I can use it in more of my outfits. Your image, imagine better textures and the bones actually protruding from the chest piece, wouldn't take a lot of work and wouldn't change the actual look. Would just improve it.

It could be new motif, no need to alter existing ones.
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please just update all old graphics in general, they are quite literally a decade old now and it's noticeable. Not just motifs but terrain too and building textures in older zones. It's really jarring when you visit older zones right after you come out of a new zone.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FelisCatus wrote: »
    It's really jarring when you visit older zones right after you come out of a new zone.

That is exactly how my wife and I feel about going to old zones, especially after visting a new zone. It feels like a different game.

We both LOVE High Isle and spend a lot of time there, but when I am asked to go to Glenumbra for a TOT match or Rivenspire (god I hate that Shornhelm) or man...as I think of it, any of the old zones...I just feel like I am playing an old donkey slang game.
    PC/NA
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I never understood was why key NPCs haven’t received any motif updates at all to help differentiate them from regular ones.

I’ll use Darien Gautier as my example… he is one of the most important NPCs yet wears regular Breton heavy, and has a regular base game hair style.

08czrbm0wr1h.jpeg

I see no reason why they couldn’t give NPCs like him, Raz, Naryu, etc… their own special appearances, there are more than enough new options from when the game launched.

They could even tease important plot developments, like giving Darien something Meridia related, I know that would have me asking questions.
    Edited by Tyrant_Tim on February 4, 2024 7:49AM
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    What I never understood was why key NPCs haven’t received any motif updates at all to help differentiate them from regular ones.

I’ll use Darien Gautier as my example… he is one of the most important NPCs yet wears regular Breton heavy, and has a regular base game hair style.

08czrbm0wr1h.jpeg

I see no reason why they couldn’t give NPCs like him, Raz, Naryu, etc… their own special appearances, there are more than enough new options from when the game launched.

They could even tease important plot developments, like giving Darien something Meridia related, I know that would have me asking questions.

it would be cool if more important characters had a special outfit style like Queen Ayrenn.

though i like how they all look in the base game and they got special costumes in dlc.

if they were to get different appearances in the base game i think this would be best
    - Darien in Ancestral Breton heavy
    - Gabrielle in the Mages Guild robes that Valessea wears in High isle
    - Naryu in either the Morag Tong motif or her assassin costume
    - Raz in his spymaster costume
    - Holgunn in Ancestral Nord heavy

but i think it's nice that they wear base game outfits. like Raz and the other Eyes of the Queen just wear a black version of the high elf style which regular soldiers wear too.

and the base game race motifs have 4 different versions for each weight so there's way more variation in what base game characters wear than if they wore Ancestral styles(really wish Ancestral styles had all those 4 versions instead of just the 4th).

plus them wearing a different outfit in dlc makes me feel like there's time between the questlines.

also Darien's journal in Camlorn is enough to make you ask questions.
    https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Journal_of_Darien_Gautier
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, the problem with the ancestral motifs is that they're more like reimagined versions of the basegame ones, looking a lot different and not having the 4 different styles per weight. Just giving the old racial and alliance motifs higher res textures should be enough, if you've modded Skyrim for example, then you know that a new texture can do wonders for an ugly suit of armour even without altering the mesh. Later on the same could be done with furniture and buildings. I don't think bloating the already huge list of motifs with new ones that are just updated old ones is a good idea, it'd make browsing through them much more tedious.
    PC EU
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to look like this.
    And the game would be better off (especially to new customers) if the old skins were updated like this.
    5daxfcb63ag5.png

No.

Why? It's objectively better in every way (contrary to popular belief, there are rules in art...its not as subjective as people assume. If it were, art/design school would not be necessary).

I disagree that these rules should be imposed on clients if they wish for something else. We are not talking about traffic rules here.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amig186 wrote: »
    Agreed, the problem with the ancestral motifs is that they're more like reimagined versions of the basegame ones, looking a lot different and not having the 4 different styles per weight. Just giving the old racial and alliance motifs higher res textures should be enough, if you've modded Skyrim for example, then you know that a new texture can do wonders for an ugly suit of armour even without altering the mesh. Later on the same could be done with furniture and buildings. I don't think bloating the already huge list of motifs with new ones that are just updated old ones is a good idea, it'd make browsing through them much more tedious.

Absolutely! Just update the textures to higher resolutions and it's fine.

BTW the old styles look really nice. I sometimes prefer them to the newer ones as the newer ones often look too sleek.