The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE??

• jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because I suck at bg.

If I can do 100 0 0 kda in bg, then I can move on.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because its the best mmorpg on the market
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been a fan of The Elder Scrolls ever since TES4:Oblivion came out. TES3:Morrowind and TES5:Skyrim cemented it for me, although I never really dug into the lore and actually knew very little about Tamriel and the rest of Nirn. While playing Oblivion, the provinces of High Rock, Skyrim, Morrowind, Hammerfell, Black Marsh, Summerset Isles, Valenwood, and Elsweyr were just some unknown regions beyond Cyrodiil which were occasionally mentioned in books or conversations between NPCs. Playing Morrowind gave me a glimpse of the world outside of Cyrodiil, and playing Skyrim opened up a bit more of Tamriel to me, but I was still largely in the dark about everywhere else.

I tried to play TES:Arena back when it was rereleased by Bethesda as a free download, but gave up after maybe 10 minutes of sheer torture due to not understanding the controls and not liking the graphics. I even put the games aside for a few years as I played other games and focused on other interests. Then I decided to purchase the Game of the Year editions of Morrowind and Oblivion on Steam in 2016 because I'd started playing Skyrim again (and because I didn't have all of the expansions for Oblivion yet), and purchased the Special Edition of Skyrim in 2017 to get all of the Skyrim expansions. I also grabbed the free download of Arena again in 2016, learned the controls, and came to appreciate that game as well.

After completing a couple of playthroughs of Arena, I decided to investigate the rest of the series, I saw advertisements for TESO:Morrowind and decided to get TESO. It turns out that I'd heard about it back in 1994, but back then I was firmly against the idea of online games, especially if they required having to pay a monthly fee just to play a game I'd already purchased in a store. Since TESO no longer required a subscription, I decided to grab TESO:Morrowind while it was on sale, along with the Guilds & Glory DLC bundle. I think Horns of the Reach was just out, too, but I didn't get it because I was still very much against the idea of the Crown Store; I also resisted getting Clockwork City when it was released a few months later. However, it didn't take long before I was addicted to TESO, so I eventually decided to buy a Crowns pack during a sale so I could pick up Horns of the Reach, Shadows of the Hist, and Clockwork City. I even bought the Collector's Editions of the first four DLCs when each of them went on sale-- to get the extras that came with them-- despite already having them via the Guilds & Glory bundle.

For me, each game in the series has reinforced my desire to play the other games, and I basically wanted to be able to travel from one game's province to the provinces of the other games. Arena helped open up the whole of Tamriel to me, although it left me dissatisfied due to the bland sameness of each province as imposed by the limitations of its game engine and the restrictions of the technology (i.e., RAM and storage space) of its day. TESO has done what Arena could not-- let us visit each of the provinces of Tamriel (and beyond), and give each of them a unique and exciting character and flavor. I know that some players don't particularly care for the environments or storylines of certain zones and provinces, but I love all of them. I can spend hour after hour just running around the zones without any definite plans, because I think the game world is so nice to look at and I have so much fun fighting mobs and bosses.

There is still a huge amount of content that I haven't completed, let alone touched, particularly dungeons, arenas, and trials. The base-game dungeons which can be completed by a single player are a lot of fun for me, and I've completed a few of the other dungeons-- and even one of the trials-- with groups of other players, so I do expect to get to the rest of them eventually, but there's no rush as long as I'm still enjoying everything else. I'm not much good at PvP, but I do enjoy going to Cyrodiil and the Imperial City, and it would probably be very easy for me to just focus on Cyrodiil full-time were it not for everything else I love doing in the game.

I'm actually playing TESO a bit less these days, not because I've grown bored with it or don't enjoy it as much, but because I finally started playing TES2:Daggerfall and have become hooked on it. I'm also continuing to play Arena, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, and played Battlespire for a while before getting stuck on the second level. But that doesn't stop me from playing TESO; it merely cuts into my daily ESO playtime a bit.

One of the things I absolutely love about TESO is how it connects the other ES games together. It's more than just being able to roam from one province to another at will; it's also the way that specific monsters or animals reappear in TESO. To give an example, there are Wormmouths in Craglorn and Vvardenfell. Um, okay, whatever. Except, the only other ES game that's ever had Wormmouths in it was The Elder Scrolls Travels: Shadowkey, a game for the Nokia N-Gage which only a few ES fans have probably ever played (I certainly haven't). And better yet, TESO has locations from Shadowkey which haven't appeared in any other ES games, such as Earthtear Caverns and Loth'Na Caverns. Players who've never played Shadowkey might not even be aware of those connections, but it's just one example of how TESO connects with the other games in the series. One could say that TESO is like a love letter to ES fans.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love ESO, taking an extended break, and coming back depends on whether I can change my mains class at some point in the future. If I can, then I'll be back like a shot. If I can't, well I have a lot of good memories from beta to about 6 months ago.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SeaGtGruff - Daggerfall is a GREAT game! I would actually have added it to my "stable" of TES games I still play, except for one rather large problem (for me) - I can't play in first person, and Daggerfall doesn't have anything but....

I guess I need my optometrist to come up with something in the way of glasses to "fix" my vertigo issues so I can play in FP....

Hmmm. I wonder how hard he'll laugh....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    @SeaGtGruff - Daggerfall is a GREAT game! I would actually have added it to my "stable" of TES games I still play, except for one rather large problem (for me) - I can't play in first person, and Daggerfall doesn't have anything but....

I guess I need my optometrist to come up with something in the way of glasses to "fix" my vertigo issues so I can play in FP....

Have you checked out Daggerfall Unity? It looks pretty good, basically upgrades Daggerfall to the Unity engine.

Also, some of the devs that worked on that game moved on and they are currently making another game with others called Wayward Realms. Honestly, the game sounds great.

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OtarTheMad wrote: »
    TaSheen wrote: »

Have you checked out Daggerfall Unity? It looks pretty good, basically upgrades Daggerfall to the Unity engine.

Also, some of the devs that worked on that game moved on and they are currently making another game with others called Wayward Realms. Honestly, the game sounds great.

I did try Daggerfall Unity. It's still FP, and my vertigo just can't deal with FP at all - yes, the graphics are actually much better, but it's the FP that's a problem. I'll check out Wayward Realms though!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voice acting every piece of dialogue is special to me.

PvP is some of the best during its prime.

Build variety and character creativity is off the charts.

The map is fun to explore and meet random strangers (some might just become your best friends for 5 years).

At the end of the day it’s elder scrolls.

And most of us who are negative at times are doing so out of a frustration for the potential in a game we love so much. ESO isn’t just a game, it’s a community and world we get to share together.
    PvP needs more love.
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes the voice acting is very good most of the time. Talking crows are excellent. high ilse males are the horrid exception - that voice acting is atrocious but thankfully not the norm. Voice acting is usually one of the best parts of the game, dungeon creativity is excellent. Making each unique is no small task. The variety of places is pretty amazing. It's a lot of content for sure.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its the little things in this game for me while I hate the combat in this game compared to other MMOs like FF14, or BDO

1. Gear and fashion customization in this game is pretty straight forward and theres alot to choose from. From outfit styles, motifs, crown store looking good in ESO is pretty easy. In other MMOs these are locked behind hard to get currency, a pay to win cash shop or just a hassle to transmog gear. the only real problem is needing ESO+ to dye costumes and companion gear can't be perfect i guess.

2. The voice acting is something you take for granted in this game tried to play Final Fantasy 14 and its jaring at first and quest givers repeat one line or only the first sentence is voiced and it just takes me out of the game

while ESO fails on some of the big things its the little things that is done well that make the game a more pleasant experience
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Brakkish Thank you for a positive thread!

I'm here because I love the story.

And I love that there is a wide variety of activities to choose from. One minute I can be running through the Infinite Archive fighting a Marauder and the next I can be placing fluffy colorful pillows in a house, and enjoying both equally.

I love the community. Just yesterday someone in zone chat was commenting that ESO has a more friendly and helpful community than most other MMOs.

And I love the good guilds I've have the pleasure of being part of, and the good friends I've made along the way.

There is more but these are things that stand out to me.
    Edited by SilverBride on January 18, 2024 4:04AM
    PCNA
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love to be able to escape into the world of Tamriel and experience it as whichever character I have developed.

I enjoy just about everything the game has to offer: exploring, questing, crafting, housing, Antiquities, dungeons, trials, Cyrodiil. There is always something to do and I rarely get bored.

I spent years doing solo stuff so now I am trying to check off some achievements for the group activities.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• RupzSkooma
    RupzSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because of Elder Kings II mod for Crusader Kings III. Also based on BGS recent track record including Fallout 4, TES VI might be mediocre at best and abysmal at worst.
    It is the best game right now to get Tamriel lore. And this game looks really beautiful on 4K ultra settings with reshade.
    Edited by RupzSkooma on January 18, 2024 7:22AM
    Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
  • ZharaX
    ZharaX
    ✭✭✭
    Because ES 1 & 2 Back in 1994/98 was 'Da [snip]'

ES 3 was a beautiful single/solo-game which I played multiple times!
    Offcourse, ES-Online was next in life, a MOD for ES III existed for multiplaying, but it would never be the same as ESO!

PROUD Pre-ESO'nist!
    May the Elder Scroll club be ever alive!

*** Oh! Forgot ***
    Graphics, Style, Story & The Amazing World => Superbly Assembled!

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 19, 2024 4:03PM
    The picture on the wall is chaotic.
    I don't want to look at it, but when I do,
    I cannot speak because of the confusion in my head!
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still here because:

-The game is awesome, and no other game is even close to ESO.
    -The game has sooooo much content, there is always something to do.
    -The game keeps geting systems(and content) constantly added to it: latest examples are Tales of Tribute and Infinite Archive.
    -The voice acting is superb, I can't go back to a game without it.
    -Housing is awesome!
    -Outfitting is quite good!
    -Game plays very smooth, without any crashes/disconnects/etc. (I know some players experience these)
    -Often fun events, especially community events(though they need to find a better way to do these after AwA).
    -Mostly a great and helpful community.

My pain points:
    -PvP based balance: Has destroyed so many things I like, from fun abilities getting nerfed into oblivion, to fun sets getting nerfed into oblivion, and as a tank main always getting the short end of the stick due to these nerfs mainly being survival/tank nerfs. Every single time!
    -Always short on character slots/storage slots/inventory slots. So no way to keep/use new and existing outfits and constumes, or create new character looks/ideas without deleting the old ones. (No, I do not want to create another account and not have access to everything I have collected over the years.)

My absolute and maybe quit points:
    -Dungeonfinder speedrunners/fake roles. This actually locks me out of that content completely, as I am not playing the game to have terrible experiences. Has already caused me multiple times to consider quitting.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Housing

"𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am still here because I need a game to chill solo aside of my main and ESO is perfect for that.

For me, to be in ESO gives me a feeling of full freedom: I don't care about achievements and don't feel any sort of pressure. I do only that what I feel to do based on mood of the moment. I couldn't have that elsewhere than in ESO and I'm thankful for that. <3
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TES lore is awesome.

But I'm mostly here because a friend of mine of 12 years has been playing for 10, and I started up again after 6+ years off(9 on NA) to play with him.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find ESO very enjoyable and relaxing.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Elder Scrolls world and lore and love the idea of being able to explore all of Tamriel (and beyond) in one game. I started with Morrowind and as much as I found Vvardenfell fascinating I was also frustrated that I kept hearing and reading about all these other exciting places and I couldn't go there. In Oblivion I was so disappointed when I hit the border of the map and couldn't keep going (I was somewhere north of Leyawiin, trying to head into Elseweyr). I know that sounds rediculous because of course I knew they hadn't put the entire continent in the game and it had to stop me somehow, but it was still disappointing to hit the invisible wall.

ESO lets me explore this world in more detail than any of the previous games, and that's the main thing I want from any RPG.

I used to say I was largely indifferent to the MMO design, but I love Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and there was a time I thought a Warcraft RPG would be my perfect game, but I'm not playing any of those MMOs so I think it is important to me. I don't think I'd ever play a game where I was indifferent to the setting and stories just for the game design, but I definitely can be put off playing one by the game design.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't get into Cyrodiil after 13:00 EST without a 30+ minute queue now, so the game is only available to me half the day now. ZOS has shut me out of the part of the game I play for half the hours in the day.

Edited by reazea on January 18, 2024 11:53AM
  • Scyware
    Scyware
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still here to laugh at the continuous nerfs my main has been getting since update 35. Always a good laugh on where the game's direction is at. (Clearly it's nerfing Stamden into the ground)
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Treeshka wrote: »
    Feels like i am doing Aetherian Archive.

Jokes aside. There is one main reason Escapism.

Are you like the firstmages, seeking power?
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So many reasons!

My top 10:
    1. Love the IP. I've played TES games since Morrowind, so it's a given I'd play this. I love the setting with all of its grey areas and moral questions.
    2. Love MMOs. I've been a big MMOer since EQ1 and love the longevity they give. This is pretty close to the perfect MMO for me.
    3. Horizontal Progression. Games like WoW were fun for a while, but it felt like the whole MO of the games was level to raid. This game has better progression where you can meaningfully enjoy content at any level.
    4. Character Customization. It really is something special and I enjoy fine-tuning my looks.
    5. Housing. It's not a perfect system, but I do enjoy it immensely. Nothing beats having your own little pocket realm to craft and hang out with guildies.
    6. Variety of activities. There's so much to do in the game, there really is. I can find something to do whatever my mood. There's days I like doing vet content, other days questing, other days trading, and sometimes, fishing and listening to music. It's all there.
    7. It's beautiful. Exploring in this game is truly enjoyable. There's so many zones that are wonderfully crafted; I have my favorite spots that I keep going back to.
    8. New Content. I really commend ZOS on how productive they've been. Not every release is perfect, but they do put out a lot of content and most of the time, it's quite enjoyable.
    9. Emotional attachment. Part of the reason I stay, is because I've stayed so long already.
    10. Friends. Last but certainly not least, I stay because of my friends that play the game. I'd play without them, but having friends to explore with is a really valuable thing.
  • Twig_Garlicshine
    Twig_Garlicshine
    ✭✭✭✭
    WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE??

I'm not.
    I'm currently piping in another mmo.

Just checking forums for info about global reveal to see if any improvements to PvP beyond lowering population caps in Cyro.
    --3 banners war-- presently feels almost like 2groups vs 2groups vs 2groups, not war.

/shrug not that it really matters. I've played enough mmos in my time that I do not have pure fanboy loyalty to any one company, I just go where it is --fun to me--.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brakkish wrote: »
    WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE??

Why are you yelling at us?
    Just for that, I'm not going to tell you, Mr. Loudy Pants.

PC/NA Warden Main
    • RupzSkooma
      RupzSkooma
      ✭✭✭✭
      BECAUSE OF YOU <3
      Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
    • ArchMikem
      ArchMikem
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      @Brakkish Thank you for a positive thread!

I'm here because I love the story.

Seconding! My biggest care is Narrative Adventure and Exploration. I find joy just walking along a creek in the woods of Summerset. My Characters especially are special to me, each one is a person I wish could be my Friend.
      CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
      Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    • MasterSpatula
      MasterSpatula
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Story, characters, exploration, the amazing artwork.

And, of course, the friends I made along the way.
      "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
    • Brakkish
      Brakkish
      ✭✭✭✭
      What an amazing read this is! As I read each entry I found myself nodding with affirmation, as I share the same love for many of the things mentioned.

Equally fascinating; seeing things you have a passion for, aren't necessarily someone else's. For example, lore and story... never has been my thing really, in any game. But awesome to see that the work developers put into it doesn't go unappreciated as there are MANY who've shared that's their interest. Awesome!
      CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish