Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I Hope ESO will be able to keep up with other MMO's

• Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Graphics only matter in MMOs if you don't PvP. Otherwise, most players turn the settings down for performance.

Imagine Cyrodiil in max settings :smiley: Crash in 3...2...1...

I play cyro on max no issue. I like my graphics, even in pvp.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    There is a thing I can say for sure tho: The strict separation between "interested in story/lore" and "interested in meaningful gameplay" doesn't exist. Usually people are looking for both if they decide to play a video game, especially a rpg.

Sure, I never said otherwise. But "meaningful gameplay" will mean different things to different players. I don't care that overland is easy, for example. When I want challenge, I do something else. Others want challenge everywhere. It's a difficult balancing act for ZOS. Part of the problem is they're trying to please everyone, rather than deciding what type of game ESO is. I don't see that changing.

Edited by AzuraFan on January 16, 2024 5:13PM
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other than my suggestion on page 1 of this thread, the only way I can see ESO really keeping up with other modern MMOs, or even surpassing them, would be a two step process.
    Step 1. Stop supporting the previous generation of consoles. It's not great, but it needs to be done if the hardware is going to see any improvements in the next few years. Give those players the option to port their accounts from console to PC with what they have as of the date of the announcement (to prevent market manipulation), and leave it at that.
    Step 2. I could say graphics improvements, classes, more skill lines, but that won't increase the longevity of the game. The real way to make the game improve for the long haul would be to remove unfriendly business practices from the game. I'm talking the loot boxes, cash shop stuff the preys on new players like respecs and vampire/ww cures and bites in the, remove anything that is gambling and predatory like that. Make it pay x get y from the cash shop, and put the majority of the cosmetics made into the game as earnable rewards for playing the game. WoW lasted as long as it has by doing exactly this, and eventually loot boxes and other unsavory business practices are going to get banned in the western world. It's recently been banned in China of all places, before us?! Seriously?! It'll happen here, too. And when it does, games that didn't read the writing on the wall are going to get a lot of heat from the media. It's better to spearhead the change for a healthier game, than be forced to do it.
    Edited by merpins on January 16, 2024 6:05PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All the WoW talk, had to double check what forum I am on. :s

The WoW forums are similar to this. Arguments with "passionate" posters on both sides.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    merpins wrote: »
    Other than my suggestion on page 1 of this thread, the only way I can see ESO really keeping up with other modern MMOs, or even surpassing them, would be a two step process.
    Step 1. Stop supporting the previous generation of consoles. It's not great, but it needs to be done if the hardware is going to see any improvements in the next few years. Give those players the option to port their accounts from console to PC with what they have as of the date of the announcement (to prevent market manipulation), and leave it at that.
    Step 2. I could say graphics improvements, classes, more skill lines, but that won't increase the longevity of the game. The real way to make the game improve for the long haul would be to remove unfriendly business practices from the game. I'm talking the loot boxes, cash shop stuff the preys on new players like respecs and vampire/ww cures and bites in the, remove anything that is gambling and predatory like that. Make it pay x get y from the cash shop, and put the majority of the cosmetics made into the game as earnable rewards for playing the game. WoW lasted as long as it has by doing exactly this, and eventually loot boxes and other unsavory business practices are going to get banned in the western world. It's recently been banned in China of all places, before us?! Seriously?! It'll happen here, too. And when it does, games that didn't read the writing on the wall are going to get a lot of heat from the media. It's better to spearhead the change for a healthier game, than be forced to do it.

Allowing moving from console would undermine their long-term claims that was impossible. It will likely never happen, even in this case.

I am not convinced supporting the PS4, for example, is the major problem.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Allowing moving from console would undermine their long-term claims that was impossible. It will likely never happen, even in this case.

Last generation consoles. I didn't say move away from consoles, just the previous generation.
  • Nic727
    Nic727
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the suggestions I've seen to spice up combat was to remove classes from the game, but leave the skill lines. Just make each class a theme for skill lines instead. Rather than picking a class, you'd pick 3 skill lines from any theme, which you can change by buying a coupon in the cash shop. Though this comes with a plethora of cons, I could see it being more of a boon to the longevity to the game's combat system. Not only would Zos not have to create entire classes when they want to release new skill lines (likely resulting in skill lines coming out more often), they'd be able to expand on the classes that already exist by making additional skill lines for their themes. New weapon skill lines? Just make them themes instead. Why's there no plant-based damage dealing skill line? Well, Warden is the plant guy so they can't add it. But if they did this, they could! Sorc not having a dedicated healer line? New healer skill line for sorc. This would create way more diversity in game; you might suggest that it might boil down to one or two optimal builds like with sets, but I really don't see that happening. Every class has one or two good skill line for DPS, and almost every skill line has some amazing benefit for Tank or Healer. I could see some super optimal builds popping up from time to time, but it's easier to balance one skill line at a time than entire classes.
    I already suggested that before. Removing class could also remove the need of a class change token that a lot of people ask for and allow us to play the way we want without being restricted.

For example I would love to mix Warden and Templar for my Imperial character.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nic727 wrote: »
    One of the suggestions I've seen to spice up combat was to remove classes from the game, but leave the skill lines. Just make each class a theme for skill lines instead. Rather than picking a class, you'd pick 3 skill lines from any theme, which you can change by buying a coupon in the cash shop. Though this comes with a plethora of cons, I could see it being more of a boon to the longevity to the game's combat system. Not only would Zos not have to create entire classes when they want to release new skill lines (likely resulting in skill lines coming out more often), they'd be able to expand on the classes that already exist by making additional skill lines for their themes. New weapon skill lines? Just make them themes instead. Why's there no plant-based damage dealing skill line? Well, Warden is the plant guy so they can't add it. But if they did this, they could! Sorc not having a dedicated healer line? New healer skill line for sorc. This would create way more diversity in game; you might suggest that it might boil down to one or two optimal builds like with sets, but I really don't see that happening. Every class has one or two good skill line for DPS, and almost every skill line has some amazing benefit for Tank or Healer. I could see some super optimal builds popping up from time to time, but it's easier to balance one skill line at a time than entire classes.
    I already suggested that before. Removing class could also remove the need of a class change token that a lot of people ask for and allow us to play the way we want without being restricted.

For example I would love to mix Warden and Templar for my Imperial character.

I agree. There's a lot more upsides than downsides with this suggestion.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, combat is superior in ESO. This is especially noticeable when compared to the antiquated combat design in WoW and FF14. While FF14 is much better than WoW, it is still based on an old combat design that is slow and sluggish. It feels as though one can take a nap between the use of skills.

Those of us who play ESO are here because we prefer this design over what those other games are doing. I recall one of the top devs comments concerning another game (think it was FF) and that was they thought they did a good job with that game but would keep ESO being ESO. That is a smart way to go about things.

Second, the brief high-level overview of what ESO gets seems to have left out the new class and the endless archive. Peronslaly I think it is great they are trying something different by adding the EA/IA. It will always look like we get a lot less if we ignore that which was delivered.

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Last generation consoles. I didn't say move away from consoles, just the previous generation.

That is why I noted the PS4. Does ESO run on the PS3? PS5 is the current generation.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO does not run on PS3, never did.
    If you upgrade a PS4 with a SSD ESO runs just fine especially the PS4 Pro.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    First off, combat is superior in ESO. This is especially noticeable when compared to the antiquated combat design in WoW and FF14. While FF14 is much better than WoW, it is still based on an old combat design that is slow and sluggish. It feels as though one can take a nap between the use of skills.

Those of us who play ESO are here because we prefer this design over what those other games are doing. I recall one of the top devs comments concerning another game (think it was FF) and that was they thought they did a good job with that game but would keep ESO being ESO. That is a smart way to go about things.

Second, the brief high-level overview of what ESO gets seems to have left out the new class and the endless archive. Peronslaly I think it is great they are trying something different by adding the EA/IA. It will always look like we get a lot less if we ignore that which was delivered.
    Yep. I guess it is because WoW tried to kinda "mimic" RTS experience and made you feel as if you were "a unit" form the old Warcraft games, while ESO tried to "mimic" Oblivion / Skyrim 3rd/1st person cRPG experience - Hence the way different approach to combat.

Anyway, Initially I said that WoW in its current state is unable to "steal players" from ESO, because while WoW is still a good game, it is no longer an "Excellent" game, as times (and standards) have changed. In eyes of many it is very overhyped & overpriced.

On the other hand, oddly, I think that WoW devs can change this at any time if they want and actually "steal players" from ESO & other mmos. All they need to do is to remove level restrictions from the free trial mode (while keeping other severe limitations). Just like that.

I hope that ESO devs will keep that in mind and will try to improve the game in every way. Because at the end of the day every improvement matters. Even something as basic like animations or visual models would need an overhaul at some point here and there and lets just say that ESO is very weak when it come to "attention to details". And if attention to details is done right, it can work miracles.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 17, 2024 6:11PM
  • Einar_Hrafnarsson
    Einar_Hrafnarsson
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, as predicted, same stuff with different packaging. Scribing is a skill with 3 morphs instead of 2.

Story has to end with us and Tamriel forgetting the "forgotten prince" again otherwise it wouldn't make sense that the prince is forgotten again in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

My Wife is so dissapointed, it is the first time she didn't preorder and as of now, has no interest in the new chapter.

I do have some interest, but mostly for the pvp updates wich do not seem to require the chapter?
    I really thought we would get something special for ESO's 10 birthday :/
  • RupzSkooma
    RupzSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, as predicted, same stuff with different packaging. Scribing is a skill with 3 morphs instead of 2.

Story has to end with us and Tamriel forgetting the "forgotten prince" again otherwise it wouldn't make sense that the prince is forgotten again in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

My Wife is so dissapointed, it is the first time she didn't preorder and as of now, has no interest in the new chapter.

I do have some interest, but mostly for the pvp updates wich do not seem to require the chapter?
    I think you guys misunderstood scribing.

Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

scribing is an extra skill for multiple skill lines, zos said i think every weapon line and more.
    we'll be able to customise it with resource cost, buffs, colours, and other things.
    cbl72c88ed0h.jpg
    5rje48ut4dqd.jpg
    not simply 3 morphs instead of 2.

she doesn't need to be forgotten again at all.
    she's new to Elder Scrolls, her not being involved in past games isn't an issue.

she could easily be in Elded Scrolls 6 :)
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »

she could easily be in Elded Scrolls 6 :)

BGS could even release official mod content for Skyrim that adds her in, for those who want it.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If other MMO's have decent PvP there is zero chance for ESO to keep up.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will and is. Unlike what people like to say on these forunms, the game isn't dying, it's still thriving. and it isn't "winding down."
    Give us clannfear mounts!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will and is. Unlike what people like to say on these forunms, the game isn't dying, it's still thriving. and it isn't "winding down."

What? Next thing you’re going to say is that the world isn’t ending soon!
    /s
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭

I know you want to believe that but it's quite clear from the direction of development and how we seem to get less and less content while competing games dish out more year on year that ZOS are winding down for reasons unknown to us.

The fact that they didn't really push the boat out for the 10 year anniversary of their game, and the 30 year anniversary of TES franchise says a lot. They put a lot of effort into the announcement itself, the soulless corporate pitch they usually do, which is a comically disproportionate allocation of resources when you look at the amount of content they are actually announcing. Guess we know where our money goes cause it's not the game haha.

The chapter and its content we are getting do not stand out from previous years. It's just a zone, a barebones system that they have said they will expand upon admittedly (why we can't have the expanded content up front beats me, I'd assume crown store plans), a trial etc. Just the same as every year.

I don't like feeling like I'm being quietly ripped off for buying something I want (the chapter) every year. Different story if the chapters came with ESO+, then it would feel more balanced for the content we are getting.
    Edited by aspergalas4 on January 19, 2024 6:55PM