Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I Hope ESO will be able to keep up with other MMO's

• IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    svendf wrote: »
    As Eso cater towards different player´s. Eso will never get a community like FFxiv - not to say there aren´t nice people in Eso, for sure there are, they mostly keep to them self and out of the way.

In FFxiv as a new player you are seen as something very important, and the community know, if you treat people well it will carry over to the next person.

FFxiv have systems in place and at the same time balanced the game in a way, that it doesn´t matter what job/role you play you are needed. In Eso it´s mosty reverse, and depends on content - do we need a healer ? Do we need a tank ? The community seems very divided and ends in something like - what gains me or as long I have an anvantage I keep playing.

After 12k hours in Eso I feel, I pretty much know, whats going on and have seen many bad things happen as well in gameplay and out of gameplay in Eso - it´s a shame.

In post Shadow Bringer the last trial, Seat of Sacrifies is a real pug killer (MSQ). I went in with tree different pugs and got handed every time. I went to the NN Network to get a picture after been over the web to find info. After a brief conversation a player asked me if I needed any help, and answere I need all the help I can get. Within 5 sec she grouped with me and with in 20 sec we had a full group ( a player with contacts). When we had zooned in I discovered the group contained of mentors with Ultimate weapons. That group was crazy skilled. Healers was on time in first fase, tank swap was crazy fast and on time as well, same for the tank LB on last fase. My first time playing with raiders and It was impressive. After ending the trial she DM me as told me to contact her if I need any help in the future.

Something from my FC I am in. In End Walker I fell in love with a mount and asked about it in chat. My GM showed me a picture and asked if it was the one, and yes was my answer. I ended up getting all the five mounts from ARR Exstream Trials within two days - seven mounts including the quest one, which I only could get if had all the trials mounts collected.

I don´t have a single trial mount in Eso - skins yes - not a single mount. I have tried many times getting people together, but no, not a chance. Am I a bad player in Eso ? No I am actually a good player, so I just gave up. Do I want to run around with God Slayer in my title. No just as little as I will run around with Ultimate Legend in FFxiv. It was all about mounts, and in one Mmo I gave up and in another one I got those I wanted without any fuzz.

Some years back in Eso. There was some discussion in guild chat about GS, and it didn´t take long before a main tank did pop up and told us it´s an easy one and he could carry us. I responted with "Looking for one healer, two tanks and eight dd´s for vSS HM no death run". He just disappeared from chat.

The guild I am part of in Eso have mighty fine people in it. That said they can´t change anything that will bring Eso in a more inclusive and positive direction, when the balance in Eso is as it is, and ZoS is part of that problem.

There is a reason, why the player quality is much higher in FFxiv compared to Eso. If a game can´t uphold the trinity it will divide the community and so will an imbalanced game - Eso have both problems and I haven´t seen any indications, that will change.

I had my struggle moving from voice acting to a game with less voice acting. That changed the more I got into FFxiv and saw a total different community. The devs in FFxiv are being treated like gods, and there are a reason for that. I don´t know why Zos still maintain the same direction - a direction, where people, who have the advantage own the game play ( look at normal dungeons).

If the community in Eso want a more inclusive community. You need to put more pressure on ZoS. That said, that´s not the only frontline you have to attent to. You also have to engage with the player base, who have the advantage and therefore dislike any change, which will deminish that advantage, which can be boild down to balance and trinity, but that´s not all, will leave it there though. ZoS seems to be on their side so good luck

If you put pressure on ZOS, you get the hammer... and no, it is not Volendrung. Lol.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • evymyu233
    evymyu233
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope the house can have more slots,many mmo can build very huge imposing buildings because there are more slots.and more open space.
    rghpfy5jstqm.png

• ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jimbru wrote: »
    1. The single biggest complaint I see from people leaving ESO is the clunky "everything must be aimed and clicked" combat. Light attacks should be replaced by an autoattack, and aiming needs to be replaced by a hybrid tab-target. Look at the combat in Guild Wars 2 for how to do it right.
    2. ESO is long overdue to adopt a central trading system like most other MMOs, and an in-game crowns-gold exchange. Again, look at Guild Wars 2's Trading Post for systems that work.
    3. Before anyone says anything about how "people manipulate central trading systems": last year, some big trading guild or another was having some kind of contest and it mucked up trading across the entire game for weeks. So I don't want to hear anyone pretending that economic manipulation doesn't happen in ESO. This game needs a trading system that doesn't require add-ons and data farming to manage.
    4. I am convinced that whoever is in charge of the housing system at ZOS either has never seen a real house, and/or has tryptophobia. At best, the whole system needs an aesthetic overhaul; at worst, it needs demolished and started over.
    - Real houses have symmetry, with patterns that visually match up with the surface edges, windows centered and joints that meet properly (examples: mezzanine in Ravenhurst house is totally crooked, High Isle apartment is just plain chaotic).
    - Real houses have flat walls and floors, without multiple levels of recessed edges (floor in Pariah's Pinnacle) and pillars sticking out of the walls reducing the useful space (Mara's Kiss room is the worst offender among too many to list).
    - Furniture in most styles is drastically oversized and bulky. Some styles (Wood Elf and Redguard are two) have tables, counters, and other "horizontal surfaces" that aren't even flat.
    - Snugpod has a wall decoration that is permanently stuck in place, obviously crooked and clipped into the wall.
    - Wood Elf and Argonian house floors aren't even flat. Don't even get me started on structures with curved walls.

Sounds like you'd be happier playing GW2. I however would not. That's why i'm playing eso, because it is not some other mmorpg clone. When ESO does thing like make themselves more like other mmorpgs then i like it less. Being distinct has it bennies. Prime example, anime style mounts with flashy flash flash and also the ever annoying arcanist class. When i want to play some other mmorpg i can certainly go do that.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Both FFXIV and WoW get massive new features. FFXIV even gets an entire Graphics overhaul. Everything looks like it did before but better with enhanced Graphics, more depth, better shadows and lighting. Oh and THREE new classes/Jobs, one limited. WoW Gets Soloqueue Rated Battlegrounds, a new Flying System for old AND new mounts, Warbands, Class Hero Talents or Paths like Lightweaver Paladin or Mountain Thane Warrior. (ESO does not have a flying System at all). Just a few things from what the other big players in the industry will offer beside the usual stuff in their next expansions.

A new Zone, 2 Dungeons, 1 Raid, new Story and 2 new companions won't cut it anymore.
    I really, really hope we get something Amazing to see on the next Chapter reveal.

WoW is also making alts easier by not requiring you to find their wayshines again, among other things.

I "came back" to ESO because I am used to it and have been away from WoW (and Tera after it, which I am fairly sure is now gone) longer. But it was only because other MMOs were less compelling and not because ESO was so much better.

I tried FFXIV for a while, but didn't click. Genshin Impact was too much of a money pit for my playstyle. SWTOR is a bit bumpier now and I wonder how much longer they will do even somewhat well.

The most important things for me would be making alts share more information IN THE GAME and making many things easier (quality of life improvements) like marking ALL skyshards and wayshrines on the map along with the location of surveys and treasure maps. A great addon does it on the PC, but not on console.

I can afford to "waste" 2 year-long ESO+ subs (PC and console) but all players are not like I am. Don't necessarily soften content (except for things like Harrowstorms which are now almost impossible without an event - so tune a few things) but give more QoL things for those of us who are "builders" and not raiders or such.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both FFXIV and WoW get massive new features. FFXIV even gets an entire Graphics overhaul. Everything looks like it did before but better with enhanced Graphics, more depth, better shadows and lighting. Oh and THREE new classes/Jobs, one limited. WoW Gets Soloqueue Rated Battlegrounds, a new Flying System for old AND new mounts, Warbands, Class Hero Talents or Paths like Lightweaver Paladin or Mountain Thane Warrior. (ESO does not have a flying System at all). Just a few things from what the other big players in the industry will offer beside the usual stuff in their next expansions.

A new Zone, 2 Dungeons, 1 Raid, new Story and 2 new companions won't cut it anymore.
    I really, really hope we get something Amazing to see on the next Chapter reveal.

I do not care about other MMORPGs since 2014.

There is ESO and nothing else.

If ever someone resurrects Shadowbane, we can talk. But until then everything else is pants.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    Braffin wrote: »
    The story zone is exclusively made for new players and give veterans nothing to do, so why pay for it?

The story zone isn't just for new players. For players like me (and I suspect there are quite a few like me), the annual story zone is the highlight of the year. It brings the largest content drop for us.

I know, that it's theoretically possible to quest through the story zones.

Doesn't change the fact, that they are mainly made for newer players:

1) We have only one difficulty mode for this content, while every other gets at least two. So every veteran is forced to play on a difficulty made for level 4 toons without equipment, CP and so on.
    2) Fittingly our toons are treated as bloody newcomers as well. Aside a few artificial mentions in one-liners, none of their actions prior to doing the next zone are acknowledged.

I don't doubt, that some players enjoy this playstyle (I do doubt them being an overwhelming majority tho.), but I for myself won't pay money for being forced to artificially downgrade my toons just to get some "bloody noob" experience out of a chapter.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has further convinced me that I will never touch WoW (never ending grind AND cartoony aesthetic — no thank you!) or Final Fantasy (what’s the point of housing if you lose it? I already have real life for property taxes and all, bleh). 😵‍💫
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. WoW imho has hipper outdated monetisation system which kinda makes the game very unattractive & unwelcoming for the potential new players. There are just way too many pay-gates at the very start if you just want to try out the new DLC. It seems like content in WoW is almost exclusivity made for the players who play this game since long time & are already invested in it. For as long as WoW devs will keep that mind set, I don't see WoW being able to "steal players" from ESO, no matter how many new features it will get.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 15, 2024 8:35PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anifaas wrote: »
    ESO's engine is stuck in the past. I'd like to see it evolve too but I don't think it is realistic to expect such. I do appreciate WoW and FF because they're always working to improve things. Especially WoW whose engine is always evolving. And as such feels a lot more modern than ESO which is still very much a 2014 game.

But you can't beat the casual aspect of ESO. It is a great MMO to chill. That's why I play it, for the easy laid back atmosphere. I stick to WoW as my main MMO though because I feel they're the most committed to excellence. Their dungeons, raids and pvp, subscriber count and revenue speak for themselves. I'd love to see Blizzard's take on TES. One can only dream.
    People talk about engines like its something in cars. WOW dates back to TES 3 Morrowind. could not play it back then as no broadband. Played WOW or an year until Skyrim came and guild was falling apart because stuff. Yes you had one guild, you could drop it and try to find another.
    Outside of Cyrodil ESO should be none issue outside of clients. And its obviously more mounts and outfits who has to be loaded into GPU memory and that gravy train will not stop.
    Now you could make ESO look much worse in the past, was on an Holiday some months after ESO released grabbed an laptop from office, it had some gpu so I managed to get ESO running on it, main plan was research and feeding mounts but did some quests, not that I would do an dungeon on that thing.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    People talk about engines like its something in cars.

They do. :smile:

The ESO "engine" isn't some static thing that got installed back in 2007 when they started on ESO and never got touched again. :smile:

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The story zone isn't just for new players. For players like me (and I suspect there are quite a few like me), the annual story zone is the highlight of the year. It brings the largest content drop for us.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Do I think ZOS makes the annual chapter FRIENDLY to new players? Absolutely. But is it made primarily for new players? No. They'd be nuts to have their largest content drop of the year be primarily for new players. They do it for retention too. It's for both groups. Hence my "isn't just for."

I also think you're underestimating how many players are here for the questing, lore, and story (it is an Elder Scrolls game, after all), but without hard data, I can't say for sure how many are, or who is in the majority. Neither can you. :smile:

• Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    zaria wrote: »
    People talk about engines like its something in cars.

They do. :smile:

The ESO "engine" isn't some static thing that got installed back in 2007 when they started on ESO and never got touched again. :smile:

To be fair, neither are engines put into cars. Proper auto maintenace is a must unless you own a Toyota made in Japan, then it might take abuse for a couple hundred thousand miles.
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's ranked as the number 3 MMO or 4 right now. And I think has the most active subs across all platforms...it will be fine.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I also think you're underestimating how many players are here for the questing, lore, and story (it is an Elder Scrolls game, after all), but without hard data, I can't say for sure how many are, or who is in the majority. Neither can you. :smile:

There is a thing I can say for sure tho: The strict separation between "interested in story/lore" and "interested in meaningful gameplay" doesn't exist. Usually people are looking for both if they decide to play a video game, especially a rpg.

Unfortunately the gameplay loop of overland content is disappointing to such an extent to many of us, that every interest in the story is lost.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭

There is a thing I can say for sure tho: The strict separation between "interested in story/lore" and "interested in meaningful gameplay" doesn't exist. Usually people are looking for both if they decide to play a video game, especially a rpg.

Unfortunately the gameplay loop of overland content is disappointing to such an extent to many of us, that every interest in the story is lost.

Correct.

It is all well and good having a good narrative or story to follow but if the gameplay to get from one part of the story to the next is not engaging or fun it will quickly make what was an interesting story seem bland as the two are intertwined. So many lose interest.

A good example is the Destiny franchise in its early days, overall the game had very little story or narrative depth in its infancy but the gameplay carried it as it was fun for many and kept them hooked (not to mentioned it had lots of cool in game rewards to earn and not purchase from a cash shop at the time).

So the argument could be made that meaningful rewarding gameplay should actually be prioritised over the story, which really is common sense when speaking about a video GAME. Particularly an MMO. You could have the best plot going but if the game isn't fun to play to get through it it's redundant really.
    Edited by aspergalas4 on January 15, 2024 10:18PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh. WoW imho has hipper outdated monetisation system which kinda makes the game very unattractive & unwelcoming for the potential new players. There are just way too many pay-gates at the very start if you just want to try out the new DLC. It seems like content in WoW is almost exclusivity made for the players who play this game since long time & are already invested in it. For as long as WoW devs will keep that mind set, I don't see WoW being able to "steal players" from ESO, no matter how many new features it will get.

I didn't experience that back when I played WoW and I don't see it now. Perhaps it is there (and this is not the place to debate it) but I doubt WoW taking players from ESO is a huge concern in any scope.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has further convinced me that I will never touch WoW (never ending grind AND cartoony aesthetic — no thank you!) or Final Fantasy (what’s the point of housing if you lose it? I already have real life for property taxes and all, bleh). 😵‍💫

The "cartoon" graphics is not a negative as is often promoted around here, if anything its a positive because of the uncanney valley issues plaguing characters in this game. Humans have an excellent reference to what humans look like, we are all around us....but none of us has seen an orc in real life, or a dranai, goblin, worgen etc etc. Between the style used in wow and the fact that most of the races are not human helps to suspend disbelief, even more so than the "realistic look" of ESO.
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. WoW imho has hipper outdated monetisation system which kinda makes the game very unattractive & unwelcoming for the potential new players.
    That is untrue. All you need to do is purchase the expansion, just like ESO. The difference is that expansion will last you 18 months. In ESO you will purchase 2 chapters in that time and multiple DLC. ESO is FAR FAR FAR more expensive than wow.

You can pay for your monthly sub in wow with in game gold.
    There are just way too many pay-gates at the very start if you just want to try out the new DLC. It seems like content in WoW is almost exclusivity made for the players who play this game since long time & are already invested in it. For as long as WoW devs will keep that mind set, I don't see WoW being able to "steal players" from ESO, no matter how many new features it will get.

Its 180 degrees from what you wrote. Wow has a much simpler process to play with no pay gates. ESO requires massive DLC to be purchased or a SUB, wow subs can be paid for with in game gold. Its a much much easier system for people to navigate around.

And that does not even include the fact that 99% of the mounts, costumes, pets, armor, etc is all had in game simply by playing the game. They don't use gamble crates, and their cash shop is very limited in offerings and are often up for sale for years, no Fear Of Missing Out issues in wow.

PC/NA
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tbh. WoW imho has hipper outdated monetisation system which kinda makes the game very unattractive & unwelcoming for the potential new players.
    That is untrue. All you need to do is purchase the expansion, just like ESO. The difference is that expansion will last you 18 months. In ESO you will purchase 2 chapters in that time and multiple DLC. ESO is FAR FAR FAR more expensive than wow.

You can pay for your monthly sub in wow with in game gold.
    There are just way too many pay-gates at the very start if you just want to try out the new DLC. It seems like content in WoW is almost exclusivity made for the players who play this game since long time & are already invested in it. For as long as WoW devs will keep that mind set, I don't see WoW being able to "steal players" from ESO, no matter how many new features it will get.

Its 180 degrees from what you wrote. Wow has a much simpler process to play with no pay gates. ESO requires massive DLC to be purchased or a SUB, wow subs can be paid for with in game gold. Its a much much easier system for people to navigate around.

And that does not even include the fact that 99% of the mounts, costumes, pets, armor, etc is all had in game simply by playing the game. They don't use gamble crates, and their cash shop is very limited in offerings and are often up for sale for years, no Fear Of Missing Out issues in wow.

Well, as far as I know WoW still has this "obligatory" sub if you want to play higher level character (above 20). And every new expansion is made for high level characters only. So on top of buying new expansion, you need to have active sub and on top of that most likely you will need level up booster so that you can play right away and not waste sub time on leveling up. In eso on the other hand, if you just want to play new expansion - you just buy it & you can play. There is no hidden bs like in WoW where you have level restrictions or time restrictions. Eveything is transparent. Once you buy it, you own it. It is just one transaction. It is easy to understand & transparent for a potential new player.

In WoW however, people can literally "get lost" when trying to figure out what one needs to buy in order to just start playing. The share fact that I needed to do "a research" onto that topic & informations on this are by any means not transparent, confusing & often contradictory, speaks to me that WoW devs don't want new players to know fully how much cash they need to spend vs what they will get for it. On top of that I stumbled on some kind of WoW Battle Pass information... can't say if this is something that WoW already has or will have.

Anyway, sorry for long post. I know it is ESO forums, but I just wanted to describe in details what I think. Therfore, my point still stands. WoW just has way too many pay-gates & very non-transparent & contradicting moetization informations & rules that makes it very unfriendly for a potential new player.

Edit: Fun fact I have just realised. ESO will have 10 year anniversary this year, while WoW will have 20 year anniversary. So who knows... maybe both games will fight over players. I would actually want to see that as when there is competition, both competing products are becoming better and it really benefits the customers (in this case, us - Players).
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 16, 2024 1:42PM
  • Panderbander
    Panderbander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stylized != outdated. Blizz puts a lot of work into keeping graphical fidelity up to date without losing the style that the series has held since the days of the Warcraft RTS games. Lots of graphical things in MMOs that we take for granted today (such as dynamic shadows) were implemented in WoW before ESO even hit beta.

I wish ZOS would apply the same level of combing through old content and models to bring them up to date that Blizz does with their offering; maybe then the werewolves wouldn't look like drowned rats with a stuffy nose.

I offer for comparison:

ESO werewolf
    n28wmzaxal2n.jpg

WoW worgen
    pgvn8v1f4dqz.jpg

I do realize ESO is limited by the fact they have to duplicate all of their content to consoles, including the vastly underpowered last gen ones which means there's little that can be done while still including them. If it was my decision, I'd drop them in favor of providing a better game going forward rather than trying to hold on to some sort of legacy group.
    Leader of Lycan Syndicate, PC NA's tri-faction werewolf guild.~~~Played since the beta, got the monkey.~~~"The blood of the pack is now yours. They are your only family, your only allegiance!"
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, as far as I know WoW still has this "obligatory" sub if you want to play higher level character (above 20). And every new expansion is made for high level characters only. So on top of buying new expansion, you need to have active sub and on top of that most likely you will need level up booster so that you can play right away and not waste sub time on leveling up. In eso on the other hand, if you just want to play new expansion - you just buy it & you can play. There is no hidden bs like in WoW where you have level restrictions or time restrictions. Eveything is transparent. Once you buy it, you own it. It is just one transaction. It is easy to understand & transparent for a potential new player.
    You can pay for the sub with in game gold. And no, not every new expansion is made for high level characters. You can roll a new level 1 if you want, generally in a new zone. They even start some of the new classes at higher levels to get people caught up, no need to purchase a "high level".
    In WoW however, people can literally "get lost" when trying to figure out what one needs to buy in order to just start playing. The share fact that I needed to do "a research" onto that topic & informations on this are by any means not transparent, confusing & often contradictory, speaks to me that WoW devs don't want new players to know fully how much cash they need to spend vs what they will get for it. On top of that I stumbled on some kind of WoW Battle Pass information... can't say if this is something that WoW already has or will have.
    ESO is no different. Go look at the packs sold for Necrom, there are 5 for sale. Its equally as confusing for a new customer.
    ESO is much worse with monetization. Most of the mounts, costumes, pets, houses, etc are all purchased with crowns or crown crates, WOW does not do this. You get your stuff in game for simply playing. I have over 250 mounts and I paid for 3 of them.
    Anyway, sorry for long post. I know it is ESO forums, but I just wanted to describe in details what I think. Therfore, my point still stands. WoW just has way too many pay-gates & very non-transparent & contradicting moetization informations & rules that makes it very unfriendly for a potential new player.
    But that is not even remotely true. You buy the game, and pay for a sub either 15 a month or with in game gold.
    Its infinitely easier than buying a chapter, or an upgrade chapter, then the DLC every year. In fact you have to buy 4x chapters/DLC for every WoW expansion.
    You buy the base game, and the most current expansion, you get all the other expansions for free. This is not the case with ESO, the DLC is never included.
    Edit: Fun fact I have just realised. ESO will have 10 year anniversary this year, while WoW will have 20 year anniversary. So who knows... maybe both games will fight over players. I would actually want to see that as when there is competition, both competing products are becoming better and it really benefits the customers (in this case, us - Players).

I agree competition is good, but ESO is so far down the food chain compared to WOW or FFXIV. ESO does not retain players like wow or FFXIV.

PC/NA
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not foresee myself playing this game anymore, unless there is a drastic change in direction by the devs.
    • Old content constantly neglected, no revamp even after ten years
    • Open world pvp neglected
    • Arena PVP neglected
    • Story mode only has 1 audience, ignores people who want a memorable experience, I do not remember a single boss in overland since before elsweyr.
    • Abysmal class balance
    • No engagig enemies or bosses outside of veteran mode dungeons, or very few world bosses
    • Abysmal skill and set balance
    • And the main thing that really grinds my gears, I have yet to see a PTS recently where the devs ACTUALLY took more than 1 percent of the suggestions into account

There is no incentive for me to stay. If I want a action RPG, I can play God of War, if I want a good RPG, I can play Sea of Stars, if I want a good story, I can play Plagues Tale, or something like that. There simply is nothing that ESO does to hold onto players outside of the superficial audience really.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GooGa592 wrote: »
    The PvP community is praying for a decent alternative to ESO. We don't care about anything but combat and mechanics. One or two games come out with decent PvP and ESO will see a significant loss of players.

I mean, maybe some people in the PVP community are, if PVP is all they care about. But there are members of the PVP community who care quite deeply about the rest of the game, and the stories/other aspects of the game are what fuel their drive to PVP and add to their enjoyment. So no, I wouldn't say all of us feel that way. I didn't invest my time in my AvA ranks and learning how to fight because I don't care about the rest of the game- I care about all of it. Broken as it is, ESO PVP is more fun than half of the PVP games I've played.

Do I want Cyrodiil to get the attention it deserves? Yes. Yes I do. But there are plenty of other parts of the game I and those I run with care about other than combat and mechanics. I do, however, agree that the PVP side of this game is in trouble, and has been for a long time. It's unfortunate because Cyrodiil's goal oriented PVP is actually incredibly fun compared to the PVP offered in other games. It deserves polish. If the Devs would only give it the time it deserves, we would have a far healthier PVP population.

I'm not leaving over it, however, because the game offers quite a bit in other respects that other PVP centric games do not.
    I'd don't particularly care or even pay attention to what other games are doing, they are all fighting the same fight as ESO. How do I keep my player base as well as expand upon it.

This. I could care less what other games expansions are. I'm playing ESO because I want to play ESO. I don't need ESO to be WoW or FF. (Which is funny, because I'm a huge FF fan, but I don't particularly care for the tab target combat in the FF mmo)
    LAST gen consoles, DECADE old consoles need to have support shut off for them so the game can be remade. That should be a big part of the 10 year global reveal event.

Ouch. Ok, so, this is a rough one since I partially agree with this sentiment. It has been said before that the reason certain limitations for housing are in place is because of consoles, and I hate to say it, but yeah...these older consoles are holding ESO back in more ways than one, and I'd love to see those limitations lifted. (I mean...continue to support old consoles but lift the limitations for PC? PC is capable of so much, and its being gimped when we aren't even cross platform.)

I do feel for those who play on those older consoles though, and don't really want to see them suddenly loose access to their accounts/a game they love simply because of aesthetics :/

However, sometimes graphical upgrades really go south and actually cause the loss of players. Especially when the characters or character creator is affected and characters people have had for years no longer look like themselves due to drastic changes in shading and lighting. I've played several MMO's where a graphical...eh..."upgrade" was put out, which caused the characters to look godawful, and people couldn't even make the characters look the way they used to again because the changes were so different from everything the game was before.

Since this is an MMO that heavily promotes roleplay, and we have a huge roleplay community, the characters and their appearance is VERY important. I wouldn't doubt that we'd see a lot of angry people if the characters they've been playing for a decade get destroyed.

But...long story short...I don't think ESO is truly in as bad a state as people seem to think it is, and I don't think it's trying to keep up with the Joneses. I actually feel as if WoW and FF are lacking a lot of things which ESO does extremely well. (I'd be playing this game even if it wasn't TES themed, because TES wasn't what attracted me to this game- the immense potential for customization, housing, and questing was. I discovered a love for TES through ESO.)

I was that person that enjoyed all aspects of the game, but lack of any care for pvp content by devs, coupled with completely ignoring the fact that overland got so easy its laughable, add to that the disrespect the pts community has put up with for years now, was enough to make me quit. The reason this game does so well, still, is because it does a lot of different things good. Not great, but good. But since a lot of things have went from good to intolerable, I am quite certain hardcore fans like me, will not be the only people to leave.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I got to 60 in Classic and the combat is soooo slow compared to ESO. I'm falling asleep fighting in WoW.

No sprint, block, dodge roll, bash, light attacks, bash weaving, light attack weaving, etc.

If there was another MMO with such good combat then maybe I will try it. Otherwise, zero chance.

Also the other MMOs must have addons or PASS. New World failed.
    PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Graphics only matter in MMOs if you don't PvP. Otherwise, most players turn the settings down for performance.

Imagine Cyrodiil in max settings :smiley: Crash in 3...2...1...

Edited by SkaraMinoc on January 16, 2024 2:43PM
    PC NA
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    I got to 60 in Classic and the combat is soooo slow compared to ESO. I'm falling asleep fighting in WoW.

No sprint, block, dodge roll, bash, light attacks, bash weaving, light attack weaving, etc.

If there was another MMO with such good combat then maybe I will try it. Otherwise, zero chance.

Also the other MMOs must have addons or PASS. New World failed.

I feel the complete opposite. In WoW you have buttons to push and fun abilities to use, ESO is limited with some abilities required (not necessarily fun) taking up space on the hot bar.

I was much more agile, acrobatic and mobile on my hunter in WOW than any class in ESO. Between disengage, goblin rocket jump, scatter shot, concussion shot, knockback traps, immobilization traps, slowing traps, pet utilities.

I dunna man, ESO combat all looks the same. The counter in ESO is dodge/block, the counters in WOW are using your class abilities, which is what makes it fun. Everything plays completely different.

I get the appeal of ESO, especially regarding housing (why I am here), but combat would never be the defining reason I'd play ESO. As far as action combat, I prefer New World, although they could use more buttons to push.
    PC/NA
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Graphics only matter in MMOs if you don't PvP. Otherwise, most players turn the settings down for performance.

I am a vanilla wow High Warlord and did arena every season for the first 6 seasons. I always ran graphics at max settings and always performed well.

Even in Ashran where it was 50v50 I ran high settings and had little to no issues. But that is part of the beauty of WoW's style, lower poly count allows for more to take place on the playfield.
    PC/NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I am a vanilla wow High Warlord and did arena every season for the first 6 seasons. I always ran graphics at max settings and always performed well.

Even in Ashran where it was 50v50 I ran high settings and had little to no issues. But that is part of the beauty of WoW's style, lower poly count allows for more to take place on the playfield.

WoW engine is extremely optimized compared to ESO. I spent hours messing with settings and for fun, I was able to get 900 fps under certain conditions. WoW is kind of the exception. I also ran max or nearly max settings in PvP.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on January 16, 2024 2:59PM
    PC NA
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the WoW talk, had to double check what forum I am on. :s
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nihilr wrote: »
    LAST gen consoles, DECADE old consoles need to have support shut off for them so the game can be remade. That should be a big part of the 10 year global reveal event.

@DirtyDeeds765

People keep saying the game needs graphical updates, and the devs said in multiple interviews that we can't get new weapons/skills due to console limitations.

100% because we aren't dropping the deadweight that we are limiting the potential of this game.

The devs did not state that we can't get new skills due to console. They stated that there was a temporary issue that caused old consoles to hold back new skills, and that the issue has since been resolved. It lasted only a few months.

Since they have fixed the issue they have introduced many new mementos, updated some old animations, added customized animations, and created an entire new class. And the things they are currently teasing makes it seem likely that we'll get spell crafting. If so, that would mean several new skills and animations.

The only thing console/old PCs are holding back is the amount of storage you get in housing. They did not work on skills due to PvP. They didn't want to add new content into PvP until 2023 due to needing new servers and some code rewriting. They were pretty clear that the focus on performance (and delays caused by covid) were the reason newer content was light on combat options and non-existent for new pvp content until 2023. Once 2023 hit we got a new class and a new content cadence to further address bug fixing and performance.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 16, 2024 4:04PM