Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Can something done about Beggars in zone chat?

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
This player has been going zone to zone for several days now asking for others to give them 1 million gold because they are in such dire need of getting a crate pack.

In my opinion this is a form of exploiting other players. If this isn't against the ToS I feel that it should be.

Can anything be done about this?

owaosij147yo.png
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on December 23, 2023 8:50PM
PCNA
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was a solution for this....

    PC has a Add-on that blocks the wall of text from Guild AD's which identifies the "link" in the chat and stops the chat from showing. But i believe it is not possible to make a do not show for normal chat. Adding them to Ignore list will only make you quickly hit the limit.

    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^ I can recommend that add-on. My chat is so much more pleasant now I no longer have to see ads for guilds and crown sellers. it auto blocks certain words and honestly it so nice to actually see conversations again.
    Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This player has been going zone to zone for several days now asking for others to give them 1 million gold because they are in such dire need of getting a crate pack.

    In my opinion this is a form of exploiting other players. If this isn't against the ToS I feel that it should be.

    Can anything be done about this?

    owaosij147yo.png

    It's just begging and easily ignoreable, which is what I do :)
    Like most things in zone chat actually.

    I'll step in to help out more reasonable requests like someone who is short a couple mats for a writ, etc
    But that much is excessive and the means to earn piles of gold are already in game without having to scam beg.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean I think we all know what the options are -

    Ignore the player

    Report the player

    Turn off zone chat.

    Personally I went with "turn off zone chat" because I found most of what I used to see there to fall somewhere between mildly spammy and downright offensive.

    While this persistent beggar could be reported, I personally wouldn't bother as I don't think it rises to that level and I wouldn't expect ZoS to take any action.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    So, honestly: Why exactly you are fine with all of this (I assume so, because there isn't a thread regarding this "issues".), but the beggar has to be silenced? That's a bit odd too tbh.

    I never said I was fine with anything. I may be, or I may not be, but that isn't what this thread is about.
    PCNA
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    So, honestly: Why exactly you are fine with all of this (I assume so, because there isn't a thread regarding this "issues".), but the beggar has to be silenced? That's a bit odd too tbh.

    I never said I was fine with anything. I may be, or I may not be, but that isn't what this thread is about.

    That's why I wrote "I assume so".

    I didn't expect you were requesting to forbid a specific behaviour (in this case going from zone to zone and post something in chat there for several days) only if a specific message (in this case asking for gold) is transported.

    But obviously you did exactly that.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sometimes people beg for things that are perfectly reasonable, like a single mudcrab chitin for an alchemy writ or 250 gold to level up their mount. A rule against begging removes this possibility for kindness.

    Besides, I've seen the same person now lf 3 million gold and people in zone chat mentioning that they've been going at it for a while. People have a memory, they're not gonna be able to keep begging without comments being made that may sway potential donors.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    Braffin wrote: »
    So, honestly: Why exactly you are fine with all of this (I assume so, because there isn't a thread regarding this "issues".), but the beggar has to be silenced? That's a bit odd too tbh.

    I never said I was fine with anything. I may be, or I may not be, but that isn't what this thread is about.

    That's why I wrote "I assume so".

    I didn't expect you were requesting to forbid a specific behaviour (in this case going from zone to zone and post something in chat there for several days) only if a specific message (in this case asking for gold) is transported.

    But obviously you did exactly that.

    My motives for bringing up a specific behaviour are not what this thread is about. It is about the behaviour itself.
    PCNA
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is begging for gold against TOS?

    I usually don't mind gold beggars because they're rare and don't try to manipulate you out of millions and free crown crates like this one.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply ignore. Then, no problem all.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

    2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    Braffin wrote: »
    So, honestly: Why exactly you are fine with all of this (I assume so, because there isn't a thread regarding this "issues".), but the beggar has to be silenced? That's a bit odd too tbh.

    I never said I was fine with anything. I may be, or I may not be, but that isn't what this thread is about.

    That's why I wrote "I assume so".

    I didn't expect you were requesting to forbid a specific behaviour (in this case going from zone to zone and post something in chat there for several days) only if a specific message (in this case asking for gold) is transported.

    But obviously you did exactly that.

    My motives for bringing up a specific behaviour are not what this thread is about. It is about the behaviour itself.

    I didn't speculate about your motives at all.

    You said for yourself this behaviour shouldn't be allowed in general because it is spam and players could be upset reading it.

    I provided examples of ongoing and constant spam in zone chat which is upsetting players.

    Then you say, it's not about spam but about begging.

    Well, I disagree. It shouldn't be (and won't become) against ToS. A lot of newer players are asking for materials or a amount of gold and such things all the time. There is no reason to forbid that because of a few outliers.

    For the very same reason we could ask to forbid trading in chat (could be overpriced and therefore be scam) or crown trading (rather easy to scam here).
    Edited by Braffin on December 21, 2023 12:03AM
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    Then you say, it's not about spam but about begging.

    I never said that, either.

    Let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
    PCNA
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol them and move on
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

    [beggar] - slow:
    may I have a cornflower?
    a cornflower, a cornflower?
    May I please have one cornflower
    To finish up this writ?

    [chorus] - faster:
    So I sent out one cornflower
    One cornflower, one cornflower,
    I sent out one cornflower.
    As did every body else.

    [beggar]:
    May I have a dreugh wax?
    a dreugh wax, a dreugh wax?
    May I please have one dreugh wax
    To finish up this writ?

    [chorus] - faster:
    So I sent out one dreugh wax
    One dreugh wax, one dreugh wax
    I sent out one dreugh wax
    As did every body else

    [beggar]:
    May i have 10 gold please
    10 gold please, 10 gold please?
    May I have 10 gold please?
    To finish up this quest.

    [chorus] - faster
    So I sent out 10 gold then
    10 gold then, 10 gold then
    I sent out 10 gold then
    As did every body else.

    ~traditional Beggars Song

    And the moral of these witty ditties:
    chat zone beggars ain't so pretty
    But TOS? I doubt they break,
    Sending stuff is OUR mistake.

    You got the intarwebs gold medal for the day! Absolutely marvelous, may you rhyme long and prosper!
    ______________________________________________________

    But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

    PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • dragonlord500
    dragonlord500
    ✭✭✭✭
    it doesn't help the fact that the crown store has vastly to much limited time stuff. FOMO is becoming a serious issue now.
    Guild master of Darkness of Sanguinaris. Birthday is December 4th.
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is about as exploitive as people calling for crown traders all day long and demanding the gift first.
    So, speaking by Zos actions in regards of that and the overall amount of negative threads opened by players regarding this topic: Not at all.

    Zone chat is a public channel. Everybody may communicate over it for as long as they stick to rules.
    This fella isn't harming anyone, except for maybe himself because it takes a lot to beg publicly and with your account name visible to all. I'm more sad about this guy being put into a corner of desperation by ZoS microtransactions rather than about his public exposure of his addiction (?).

    Players are capable to decide for themselves wether or not they should gift an unknown person 1 milion gold out of pocket.
    They should also be very well capable of rightclicking the name and putting said person on their ignore list.
    The only thing preventing this is a filled up ignore list - And the only folks I know who managed to achieve that had a more difficult issue to deal with than other people's public behaviour.

    Gold Star. I turned off zone chat years ago and have recently expanded that good effort by turning off guild chat as well. I like to think of it as being like a 'progressive thing'. Like being a man in motion except I'm more of a man locked in a sound proof room.
    Edited by Vulkunne on December 21, 2023 1:12AM
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »
    This is about as exploitive as people calling for crown traders all day long and demanding the gift first.
    So, speaking by Zos actions in regards of that and the overall amount of negative threads opened by players regarding this topic: Not at all.

    Zone chat is a public channel. Everybody may communicate over it for as long as they stick to rules.
    This fella isn't harming anyone, except for maybe himself because it takes a lot to beg publicly and with your account name visible to all. I'm more sad about this guy being put into a corner of desperation by ZoS microtransactions rather than about his public exposure of his addiction (?).

    Players are capable to decide for themselves wether or not they should gift an unknown person 1 milion gold out of pocket.
    They should also be very well capable of rightclicking the name and putting said person on their ignore list.
    The only thing preventing this is a filled up ignore list - And the only folks I know who managed to achieve that had a more difficult issue to deal with than other people's public behaviour.

    Gold Star. I turned off zone chat years ago and have recently expanded that good effort by turning off guild chat as well. I like to think of it as being like a 'progressive thing'. Like being a man in motion except I'm more of a man locked in a sound proof room.

    Agreed. I disabled zone chat the minute I logged into the game the first time (YEARS back now). After WoW and RIFT.... well, I knew going in that I wasn't going to want to have all that crap going on.... If I could actually remove the chat box permanently, I'd love it. Guild chat not a problem, only guild I'm in is BMU and there's never much going on there for obvious reasons....
    ______________________________________________________

    But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

    PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • AuroranGoldenEagle
    AuroranGoldenEagle
    ✭✭✭
    I've put that person in ignore after seeing them in several zones, I swear I thought they were following me! Just another example as to why zone chat stays off most of the time for me.

    As an aside, I wonder if anyone (or multiple people!) has gifted them the mil
  • TheDuke
    TheDuke
    ✭✭
    Easy solution: Free gold for everyone! 😉
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anything be done about this?

    Put the name on your ignore list.

    Now send me 1 gold for doing brain work for you. Thanks. Or don't, i don't care about virtual money in a video game.

    I'd send you a bunch - except you're on PS and I'm on PC. Kudos to you!
    ______________________________________________________

    But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

    PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
This discussion has been closed.