The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

PVP is dead to me

• RoxyPhoenix
    RoxyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭
    This:
    Caecus0 wrote: »

A team of Tanks can kill a DPS. A team of DPS cannot kill a tank.

Tanks are not just tanks anymore, they are highly mobile, heavily reinforced artillery units. There is no more rock/paper/scissors, the rock has been replaced with a steel spiked flail.

There is a massive discrepancy between dealing damage and taking damage. The spectrum has shifted towards tankiness because even if you go full glass cannon it does not matter all that much, there is no incentive to do it as the cons heavily outweigh the costs. On the other hand, going tanky diminishes your ability to do damage very very little. The reasons for that are already mentioned here and in other similar posts. The solutions have also been suggested, but I doubt DEVs will notice.

Long story short, we can build to be extremely tanky and still be able to do high damage and heal ourselves when needed, this of course throws the holy Trinity out of the window and is the root of the tanky meta.
  • Zabulus
    Zabulus
    ✭✭✭
    Brakkish wrote: »

on xbox na there are plenty of “practically unkillable” tanks that regularly squat on flags holding block. all 4 bg team members can wail on them for a couple minutes and not kill them.

it’s totally doable, you just need to know how to build for it.
    Just 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flHpD-esoRw
    Gotta love the 4 stacks or perma burning I ended up with.

How useless is this character ... you realise only trees or rocks are playing with you ...
    When i see such tanks, i move on, let them play alone, and go kill someone else, or capture a keep.
    Must be so much fun for you lol
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

on xbox na there are plenty of “practically unkillable” tanks that regularly squat on flags holding block. all 4 bg team members can wail on them for a couple minutes and not kill them.

Just 4?

... an extreme example, of course. Most builds I encountered are a bit less tanky, but still enough to have killed the fun for me in PvP. I stopped completely.

That zerg group, however, was also pretty bad imo. For example, the sorc was using fury on you while you had full hp, which is totally pointless. Did anyone actually used resource drain abilities/poisons or defile abilities against you? I can not see it. I also wonder what you would do if someone put up a meatbag catapult? From my experience most tanks suddenly don't like it standing in its aoe and I found that often quite effective.
  • Caecus0
    Caecus0
    ✭✭
    Zabulus wrote: »

Just 4?

How useless is this character ... you realise only trees or rocks are playing with you ...
    When i see such tanks, i move on, let them play alone, and go kill someone else, or capture a keep.
    Must be so much fun for you lol

Try ignoring them in an objective-based mode

This weekend has been the Domination-only PvP matches and there are several pure tanks every match, ranging anywhere to people that are obviously testing it out and will very much die after a long bout, to people that have the gear all ready to go and are basically immortal. The latter group almost always has a character name indicating they are using such a build.
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solution would be simple: The more armor and health you have, the more it penalizes overall speed and weapon / spell damage, so you can't hit hard or heal like crazy.

I'm totally fine with well armored knight that can whip out damage, but it isn't a remotely fair that PvP is more or less pigeonholed to everyone being unkillable tanks that can still easily kill anyone.

NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • Caecus0
    Caecus0
    ✭✭
    Olen_Mikko wrote: »
    Solution would be simple: The more armor and health you have, the more it penalizes overall speed and weapon / spell damage, so you can't hit hard or heal like crazy.

I'm totally fine with well armored knight that can whip out damage, but it isn't a remotely fair that PvP is more or less pigeonholed to everyone being unkillable tanks that can still easily kill anyone.

That's literally how the game is supposed to work.

Any amount of investment into DPS is investment you are not making into Durability. By going DPS, you sacrifice Durability. By going tank, you're supposed to sacrifice durability.

Going into DPS sacrifices more durability, than going Tank sacrifices damage.