The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

NEW servers, again? (question inspired by 12 hours downtime on 17/10/2023)

ghost_bg_ESO
ghost_bg_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Another loooooooooong maintenance - 11 hours and they should have become shorter with last hardware upgrade.

(kind of busy now with all released recently outside of eso, but seeing announcements like this makes me wonder what happens)

Edited title for clarity as there is another discussion about same maintenance redirected here.
Edited by ghost_bg_ESO on October 17, 2023 6:34PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats interesting lol

ill be sleeping most of that timeframe (3am to 2 pm) lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Vynera
    Vynera
    ✭✭✭
    thats interesting lol

But for EU it's ~9am to ~8pm, so basically the whole day
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vynera wrote: »
    thats interesting lol

But for EU it's ~9am to ~8pm, so basically the whole day

Yeah I just noticed that. It ends at 7pm for me so (assuming there's no delays) I may have time to do a few bits in the evening, but it doesn't look like a good day to plan for doing more than a few dailies.

(Also my other MMO's Halloween event starts that day, and they don't need to take all the servers down together for updates, so I guess that's my plans sorted.)
    Edited by Danikat on October 13, 2023 9:29PM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im more surprised there was no heads up that they are doing an extended maintenance

the last time i remember them having a maintenance this long was when they installed the new servers, which was over a year ago for most of the environments

edit: apparently i cant read dates correctly lol
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on October 13, 2023 9:33PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im more surprised there was no heads up that they are doing an extended maintenance, and on a saturday (not a normal maintenance day)

the last time i remember them having a maintenance this long was when they installed the new servers, which was over a year ago for most of the environments

That date is a Tuesday...
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sarahthes wrote: »
    im more surprised there was no heads up that they are doing an extended maintenance, and on a saturday (not a normal maintenance day)

That date is a Tuesday...

lol, i really should try to read more carefully instead of just glancing it over, but happens while im browsing the forums while im working lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • The_Boggart
    The_Boggart
    ✭✭✭✭
    There in no information in the maintenance forum. A major outage such as this deserves some information
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There in no information in the maintenance forum. A major outage such as this deserves some information

It's almost certainly something boring but necessary like swapping out switches or something like that.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting the Crown Store ready for the Witches Festival.

Decorating and populating the game zones in preparation for the Witches Festival.

Those would be my guesses. But I'm often wrong-- so very wrong. (Sigh)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

Decorating and populating the game zones in preparation for the Witches Festival.

The game zone decor would be handled via a patch some time in the recent past. That sort of thing is then turned off or on by code that triggers when a condition is met (i.e. a start date/time).
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin, could you give us some info on this please?

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess they have to look after the North American population, a 3am start there won't hurt too many people.

For me the servers will come down at 6pm, pity anyone who has to work for a living and can only play in the evenings.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the few times during the year that all the NPCs get to shower and hit the bathroom. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    This is one of the few times during the year that all the NPCs get to shower and hit the bathroom. :smile:

ROFL!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So that explains the sour look Rolis Hlaalu gives me as I turn in my six billionth master writ.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I frigging hate maintenance days as a European, it literally removes one day from my ESO plus every single time. In an ideal world we'd have brand new servers, but nope, gotta deal with this *** instead.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is also a maintenance for accounts at the same time with the servers. Either they are related or just something extra needs to be done.
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The old hamsters are retiring. That's why there's an 11-hour maintenance party.
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • HedgeHugger
    HedgeHugger
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think that by now there'd be some sort of server swap over.
    Have a nice, new, shiny and fresh instance for people to join after a certain time/date, so no disruption to service. People still sat on the older/unrefreshed servers get a warning that they will be disconnected in X time (like we get now).
    No disruption to everyone else, game goes on as usual.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a nice, new, shiny and fresh instance for people to join after a certain time/date, so no disruption to service. People still sat on the older/unrefreshed servers get a warning that they will be disconnected in X time (like we get now).

That's how Guild Wars 2 does it and I was genuinely surprised to find that ESO didn't when I started playing. Partially because I just assumed down-time for maintenance was a relic of the past since it seemed to have stopped happening for most types of software (even the tiny charity I worked for could keep our database online while doing server maintenance) and partially because GW2 said they could do it because they use a 'mega server' system, and ESO says the same so I assumed it would work the same way.

It seems like MMOs are the one area where regular down time for maintenance is still accepted, or even expected, by customers.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sarahthes wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

The game zone decor would be handled via a patch some time in the recent past. That sort of thing is then turned off or on by code that triggers when a condition is met (i.e. a start date/time).

Yeah, I was sort of being facetious or funny, trying to suggest the NPCs setting up decorations or whatever. I realize most of this stuff has already been set up years ago, although there might be a few changes once in a while, such as the new quest that was added last year or the year before.

On the other hand, I have no idea how this stuff works on a technical level. For instance, is it basically like another instance of the game that needs to be copied over onto the live servers, then they can flip a software switch to toggle the event stuff on or off as needed? And then for the next event they have yet another instance or whatever that needs to be copied over onto the live servers?
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

That's how Guild Wars 2 does it and I was genuinely surprised to find that ESO didn't when I started playing. Partially because I just assumed down-time for maintenance was a relic of the past since it seemed to have stopped happening for most types of software (even the tiny charity I worked for could keep our database online while doing server maintenance) and partially because GW2 said they could do it because they use a 'mega server' system, and ESO says the same so I assumed it would work the same way.

It seems like MMOs are the one area where regular down time for maintenance is still accepted, or even expected, by customers.

In this case, it is possible that a simple server swap over would not work. Whatever they are doing, it certainly looks like they need to have everyone logged out, not just moved out of the way, so they can do whatever it is they are working on.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In this case, it is possible that a simple server swap over would not work. Whatever they are doing, it certainly looks like they need to have everyone logged out, not just moved out of the way, so they can do whatever it is they are working on.

Probably, but either Guild Wars 2 is able to do work like that while keeping the game online, or for whatever reason they're able to get away with not doing it.

It's so unusual that when they did have to take a whole data centre offline to fix a problem they wrote an article to explain to players why it was necessary, which mentioned that it was the first time in 4 years it had happened and only the second time in the game's lifetime. (If I remember correctly the first was a planned downtime when they physically moved the data centre to a new building.)

• TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Servers have been runninguke crap so I'm all for it. I'd give up a day every week if it improved the rest of the week. Problem is, it doesn't usually help much lately
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now this surprises me, I assumed the issue with ESO is that all data is in one huge database.
    With an game with lots of servers you can have lots of databases, you also has an main account database and databases used for the dungeon finders who was over multiple servers but they had much less work to do.
    Edited by zaria on October 14, 2023 7:49PM
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shagreth wrote: »
    I frigging hate maintenance days as a European, it literally removes one day from my ESO plus every single time. In an ideal world we'd have brand new servers, but nope, gotta deal with this *** instead.
    Not much an issue for the normal ones at least since they moved the quest resets and at work until maintenance is done but not the extended.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • msteentjes
    msteentjes
    ✭✭✭
    Again maintenance for 11 hours!!! no mention why.
    And for europe this means from 9 in the morning to 7 in the evening, a whole day playing gone..

This keeps happening more and more often these extreme long times.
    I'm glad I'm without subscription at the moment, that would have been one day wasted.
    Can't say things are improving either, nor is there any explanation why it takes so long.
    I'm a dutchie, an introvert person, but I do like to get in contact ingame, just are quickly overwhelmed when too many people are asking or saying things at once.I'm a very sensitive en emphatic person. Eso is my first mmorpg.I used to play only single player like the witcher series, skyrim, assassin's creed, tombraider and such.but after 5 skyrim playthroughs and a successor years away I thought to give Eso a try.You can always message me, I don't always respond very quick, but DO respond when I see I have a message, I'm just not that active on the forum or discord, only when playing with others.
  • msteentjes
    msteentjes
    ✭✭✭
    Shagreth wrote: »

this indeed, they totally ignore us europeans, we lose access from 8 in the morning till 9 in the evening, or better said all day.
    Nice, another day of your subscription wasted.

And the worst, never a detailed explanation why in these circumstances when it takes so long.
    I'm sick and tired of this, and it may lead to quitting ESO alltogether.
    I'm a dutchie, an introvert person, but I do like to get in contact ingame, just are quickly overwhelmed when too many people are asking or saying things at once.I'm a very sensitive en emphatic person. Eso is my first mmorpg.I used to play only single player like the witcher series, skyrim, assassin's creed, tombraider and such.but after 5 skyrim playthroughs and a successor years away I thought to give Eso a try.You can always message me, I don't always respond very quick, but DO respond when I see I have a message, I'm just not that active on the forum or discord, only when playing with others.
  • msteentjes
    msteentjes
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin, could you give us some info on this please?

offcourse not, they never explain what they are doing..
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Now this surprises me, I assumed the issue with ESO is that all data is in one huge database.
    With an game with lots of servers you can have lots of databases, you also has an main account database and databases used for the dungeon finders who was over multiple servers but they had much less work to do.

From what they have said, no, I would not assume everything is not in one huge database. I am led to assume everything is in several huge databases. :smile: