The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Feedback Thread for Secrets Of The Telvanni Event

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Hi All! Now that Secrets of the Telvanni is over, we wanted to get post-event feedback on the event from everyone who participated.
  • What did you like about Secrets of the Telvanni?
  • Was there anything that was confusing or frustrating?
  • Was there anything you wish was different?
  • How did you feel about the Ebony Dwarven Scarab pet, Nightmare Nest body and face markings, and Kelesan’ruhn house as the community event reward?
  • What are your thoughts on the player voting through Tralise (to unlock the music box) or Yensa (to unlock the book furnishing)?
  • Any additional thoughts?

The plan is to share this feedback with the events team for their consideration for future iterations of this event. Thanks everyone for your feedback!
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on October 31, 2023 5:13PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. I liked that it was pretty easy to get your tickets and some boxes. I think the stylepages are pretty cool and I like the dress.
    2. It was a shame that the motif that was mentioned in the article (for the nymics) wasn't out yet.
    3. I think the stylepage droprate could be better.
    4. I like them, but I think last year we also got the Ascendant Hoard Box and a double XP event. The rewards feel a little bit underwhelming for the annual chapter reward, at least for me.
    5. It was a bit unclear for some people, also I honestly think you should just do a 'YAY SURPRISE YOU GET BOTH REWARDS' at the end or something like that. I don't think I like it this way.
    6. I really liked the furnishing recipes in event boxes, please keep that!
  • Veesk
    Veesk
    ✭✭✭✭
    What did you like about Secrets of the Telvanni?
    - I like events like this were it draws a lot of players to specific zones and content - it helps fill out sticker books (like with the trial) and collect motifs.

Was there anything that was confusing or frustrating?
    - There was a lot of confusion in the zone chat that I witnessed, it seemed like a lot of people were confused on the event daily.

Was there anything you wish was different?
    - I do wish some gold gear was rewarded for companions, that was a neat surprise previously for events like this.

How did you feel about the Ebony Dwarven Scarab pet, Nightmare Nest body and face markings, and Kelesan’ruhn house as the community event reward?
    - All of them were really nice looking.

What are your thoughts on the player voting through Tralise (to unlock the music box) or Yensa (to unlock the book furnishing)?
    - Not sure I like the one or the other style of reward here. I think it could just possibly set up some players for disappointment when it could be avoided completely. Unless both rewards are given as a surprise, then it's a really nice surprise for the community.

Any additional thoughts?
    - I miss the way we got the rewards delivered a bit, like from previous years where it was boxes inside of boxes with some extra things. Those were a lot of fun to open.
    - Thank you for a fun event!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the most confusing part of the event was the voting quest

there was little indication where the guy was to get the turn the page quest, as it was not the same as the one you got from the crown store (and in fact more or less entirely unrelated to that)

yensa and tralise also had blue arrows over their heads for the quests that they gave, however the quests were not repeatable

other than that i think the event was fine

the quality of the rewards in the boxes was generally pretty good, a lot better than most events have been and i was actually enjoying getting the boxes
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a standard chapter event that let's me 100% my sticker book as well as unlock/locate stuff across the new zone, and I like that. I think I got a lead from just about every world boss. Also encountered some challenging fights that I had fun fighting. It was satisfying, for instance, once I learned how to solo the herald seekers.

I didn't know those pages were for a daily till I saw a post about their drop rate, and ended but deleting the first couple.

I could use clearer communication on the extras, like the link in the forum post clicked back to itself instead of the website announcement.

How did you feel about the Ebony Dwarven Scarab pet, Nightmare Nest body and face markings, and Kelesan’ruhn house as the community event reward?
    I don't really care for markings, and I haven't checked out the pet yet in game. The house is nice though, and unlike other free homes that end up as furniture storage, this one I might turn into a character house. It could use more room upstairs of the upper chamber. It's just a narrow wood circle walkway.

What are your thoughts on the player voting through Tralise (to unlock the music box) or Yensa (to unlock the book furnishing
    I'm sorry, what?
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • MageCatF4F
    MageCatF4F
    ✭✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »
    1. I liked that it was pretty easy to get your tickets and some boxes. I think the stylepages are pretty cool and I like the dress.
    2. It was a shame that the motif that was mentioned in the article (for the nymics) wasn't out yet.
    3. I think the stylepage droprate could be better.
    4. I like them, but I think last year we also got the Ascendant Hoard Box and a double XP event. The rewards feel a little bit underwhelming for the annual chapter reward, at least for me.
    5. It was a bit unclear for some people, also I honestly think you should just do a 'YAY SURPRISE YOU GET BOTH REWARDS' at the end or something like that. I don't think I like it this way.
    6. I really liked the furnishing recipes in event boxes, please keep that!

I did not do much but I also really liked furnishing plans being in the reward boxes, and the style material required to craft them. In fact, I think all events should include furnishing plans.
  • LadyHermione
    LadyHermione
    ✭✭✭
    1. What did you like about Secrets of the Telvanni?
    The double coffers, motifs and plans out of the purple coffers, and double node drops.
    2. Was there anything that was confusing or frustrating?
    The quest giver for the Turn the Page quest was confusing to find after the initial location of the outskirts. Didn't realize he would be next to the Impressario thereafter. Would prefer if he stayed in one place.
    3. Was there anything you wish was different?
    Meh, events like these aren't bad nor the best.
    4. How did you feel about the Ebony Dwarven Scarab pet, Nightmare Nest body and face markings, and Kelesan’ruhn house as the community event reward?
    It's alright. I would wish that the rewards style differ from previous similar events. New things like a bank slot upgrade from the current max, inventory, guild bank, etc. would incite more interest from the player base in general than the usual pet, thing, and house.
    5. What are your thoughts on the player voting through Tralise (to unlock the music box) or Yensa (to unlock the book furnishing)?
    The way the quest options were setup was horrible! If a player just presses E to keep going without bothering to read, they will automatically choose Yensa. Which is probably why Yensa is in the lead. If we have the quest option of say Remains-Silent for example, that would be a truly neutral decision and let the player base choose which one they want without bias.
    6. Any additional thoughts?
    Different rewards please! Not everyone wants another house and pet/mount over and over again. Some of us want more slots of inventory, bank, guild banks, etc.

• Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

In general, getting some of the motifs and furniture plans. I also like how it brings people together for group content that might be otherwise harder to get - like trial stickerbooks. It was easy to get tickets.

The whole voting thing was confusing and getting the quest objectives completed felt like a slog for me. It also wasn't clear what gave tickets or not, without need to come here or other media.

Higher drop rates for motifs and style pages. There's been pretty consistent feedback on the latter, so it'd be nice if that were acted on in future events.

I am really happy to see these rewards and they felt generous. I'm happy that you guys are finally giving us some houses outside of the crown store and base game. The effort is appreciated. The pets and markings were unique, maybe not my cup of tea, but still objectively cool. The house though seems to have a very limited floorplan, so I can't say I really enjoy it. The workshop area is the roomiest of them all, but the retreat and outdoor area feel very cramped to me. The retreat loses a lot of real estate to the stairs and big open circle around them.

What are your thoughts on the player voting through Tralise (to unlock the music box) or Yensa (to unlock the book furnishing)?
    I didn't care for this to be honest. It leaves me feeling like I can't complete the event and just increases the FOMO feeling of it all.

Any additional thoughts?
    Please rethink the decision to limit acquiring tickets if you'd lose one. If I'm at 11 tickets and would get two from a daily quest, I can't get that one ticket. It doesn't make sense for me to turn it in then, so I'm in effect losing two tickets. There's not much to spend my tickets on, especially if I don't like the style pages or yearly rewards.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    The voting choice for the music box or the book was NOT SPECIFIED IN GAME. So most ppl just clicked the first choice (the book) without even realizing they were voting for something. Absolutely a fail in quest and event design. And I wanted the music box. Not happy.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi All! Now that Secrets of the Telvanni is over, we wanted to get post-event feedback on the event from everyone who participated.
    • How did you feel about the Ebony Dwarven Scarab pet, Nightmare Nest body and face markings, and Kelesan’ruhn house as the community event reward?
    • What are your thoughts on the player voting through Tralise (to unlock the music box) or Yensa (to unlock the book furnishing)?

The plan is to share this feedback with the events team for their consideration for future iterations of this event. Thanks everyone for your feedback!

1) Event tickets.
    2) The "voting" was not adequately explained as to how it worked in the game, especially since one of the "votes" was standing there as a quest giver.
    3) Higher drop rate across the board for the Parchments. I never got any event tickets from that guy, so if that was intended, add that to the list.
    4) I like the free stuff.
    5) Prefer that the voting not be used again in future promotions or events.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the start of the event, there was no way to see that there were multiple givers. You shouldn't have to read the forum to understand the event.

I also didn't like that the parchments dropped only when had the quest. Because assuming that I'm going to have multiple hours for ESO tomorrow isn't reasonable, I turn in the quests, pick up new ones to be turned in the next day.

I would not have participated if the parchments weren't available to purchase cheap because "I'm going to wander around ESO for who knows how many hours until 5 parchments drop" is not a good use of my limited time.

Overall not a fan of this one.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The voting quest was unfortunate - the first option would always beat the 2nd with folks just turning in their quest and clicking. The choices should have been randomly swapped so the click-throughs would have at least been random as well.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mik195 wrote: »
    During the start of the event, there was no way to see that there were multiple givers. You shouldn't have to read the forum to understand the event.

I also didn't like that the parchments dropped only when had the quest. Because assuming that I'm going to have multiple hours for ESO tomorrow isn't reasonable, I turn in the quests, pick up new ones to be turned in the next day.

I would not have participated if the parchments weren't available to purchase cheap because "I'm going to wander around ESO for who knows how many hours until 5 parchments drop" is not a good use of my limited time.

Overall not a fan of this one.

the parchments did not only drop when you had the quest

i actually had collected 30 parchments on the first day without even having the correct quest lol

after that my routine for the event was:
    1. walk outside of necrom
    2. instantly complete the parchment quest (once i knew where the quest giver was)
    3. do a WB daily for tickets
    4. run around doing random harvesting for like an hour (usually during which time i would get another 4-6+ more parchments)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy these chapter celebration events for the "double draw" resource drops, the double reward coffers for completing dailiy quests, and the purple event coffers that drop from a variety of sources. They offer a great incentive for doing the daily quests or just running around exploring the new chapter's zone. By the time one of these events is over, I'm able to easily collect all of the overland set gear from the new zone.

Also, the number of offerings at the Impresario, along with the RNG chance to get the new style pages from the event coffers, seemed just about right, as I was able to buy the things I wanted with tickets and was able to easily find or trade or buy all of the new style pages by the end of the event.

It was also a nice touch that Ashen Militia style pages from the recent Zeal of Zenithar event also had a chance to drop, but I didn't notice any reference to them in the event information so I'm not sure whether that was planned or possibly some kind of programming oversight.

It was confusing that the daily questgiver for the contest (Mouth) changed his location after the first day, but his new location by the Impresario was actually more convenient-- it's just that his move was unexpected and initially confusing. Once we knew where to look for him, it was no longer an issue.

Nothing I can think of.

I always appreciate free non-combat pets, and getting a free house is always awesome and very much appreciated! Although I generally don't use skins, polymorphs, body and face markings, etc., I know from watching other players running around that those things are very popular, so it's really nice that they can get things like that as free rewards from time to time.

In future voting, it might be more fair to limit the voting to once per day per account, to try to ensure that each player's vote is no more and no less important than anyone else's vote. It's nice that we could do the activity that counted toward the goals on multiple servers and multiple characters, because that let us push to earn the goals more quickly, and it can encourage the players to create one or more characters on "the other server" (be it NA or EU). But the voting between the two bonus rewards seemed to be heavily skewed in favor of players who have several accounts, numerous characters on each account, who play on more than one server, or who play on more than one platform. In this particular case, it seems likely that players who can afford to spend that much time and money on playing the game had probably already bought several other music boxes from the Crown Store, which (if that was indeed so) meant that the music box didn't stand much chance of winning the vote.

Any additional thoughts?

None that I can think of right now.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
      It was a classic double drop event with a house at the end of it. So the right blend of what we got in High Isle, and other great expansions like Greymoore and Summerset.
      The NPCs moving after the intial quest was annoying, and the general lore/story of the event felt lost? What happened to the sisters and the dad ect now that the event is over?
      If there is going to be a plot, then let us have a conclusion or something with the story elements.

They're perfect, fit the price tag for owning the expansion, and fit the theme for the storytelling. The house is small in size, but 700 slots- so its not bad and a good option for players wanting to get into housing without all the hub-bub of a big house. However, diversity is king with these things going forward.
      I felt it was unbalanced as most players are going to mash E reguardless of the voting, and maybe don't even understand they're voting for a book or music box- as the NPC in the game does not explain that- he explains it that we're voting for dealing with the scattered pages, so players may take that literally.
      Some kind of conclusion or wrap up quest would be cool with theses, like have the Mouth hang out somewhere and be like 'oh we're all fine, and we took the pages and did this with them!'.
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• Virenic
    Virenic
    ✭✭
    Double drops in the newest zone and trial plus decent reward coffers dropping everywhere. New chapter events are always my favourite as there are plenty of drops that I won't have yet, and it drives down the high prices for furnishing plans that I want but can't justify the price for.

As others have mentioned, moving the event daily NPC was initially confusing until people caught on and spread the word in Zone chat. Others have mentioned that the voting system was confusing as it wasn't communicated in game - personally I read the event announcement posts so this wasn't an issue to me.

Drop rates for purple furnishing plans seemed rather low. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't get a single one over the course of the event which was disappointing.
    The event should have coincided with the release of the final motif for the zone - kindred's concord. I was initially pleasantly surprised when I read in the announcement post that this motif would be dropping in coffers. It was a shame that this was a mistake. It's a little frustrating participating in the event knowing that there are still rewards being withheld from you. Ideally, all motifs / furnishing plans for a new zone should be released in game prior to the chapter event.

The house is great and felt like a return to form after the High Isle and Blackwood events (where the main reward was the Q4 DLC which wasn't especially beneficial to ESO Plus subscribers). The pet is nice (better than many past event pets imo). Don't really care either way for the markings.

I liked the vote system. It was a good way to keep the community engaged (more so than the typical community meter which is more or less guaranteed and doesn't encourage repeat participation in the event). I definitely wanted the book (and thought it was the better reward for a number of reasons), but would have been reasonably happy with the music box. Voters for the music box seem to be disappointed in how things panned out though so maybe there's some good feedback to take on board from them.

Any additional thoughts?
    I was very happy to see that the Apocryphal Tome unlocked in collections, meaning you can place a copy in every house rather than receiving just a single furnishing. This confirms that the Tome was definitely the right choice for me as there are a number of houses where I would want to use it, whereas I probably would have used the music box in only one house.
    Event furnishings are often unlocked in collections, but this has not always been the case (e.g. Ogrim target dummy from blackwood event). I hope these rewards continue to be unlocked in collections going forward.
  • MafiaCat115
    MafiaCat115
    ✭✭✭✭
    • What did you like about Secrets of the Telvanni? I liked all of the furnishings and motifs that we got. The treasure maps were good, too, but I wish their drop rates were higher if there will continue to be so many leads locked behind their chests.
    • Was there anything that was confusing or frustrating? Not really for me, but I could see how some people would want the voting mechanic detailed in game somehow.
    • Was there anything you wish was different? As mentioned above, I'd like more treasure maps for the zones. Or maybe altered loot pools so the treasure chest leads could be gotten through other means during the zone events? That would give even more reason to run around the zone.
    • How did you feel about the Ebony Dwarven Scarab pet, Nightmare Nest body and face markings, and Kelesan’ruhn house as the community event reward? I liked them, especially the house. While it would've been nice to have a collection of boxes at the end of the event full of goodies, I'd say the house made up for it.
    • What are your thoughts on the player voting through Tralise (to unlock the music box) or Yensa (to unlock the book furnishing)? It was a good try at it. I've seen some people recommend that the first option in dialogue should be one that doesn't vote for either reward that way spam clickers don't tip the vote. That'd be nice to implement. Beyond that, it'd be nice to have more info about each reward; are they collectible furnishings, what does the music box sound like, and maybe even a way to preview the voted on items.
    • Any additional thoughts? Overall I had a good time with it, and the critiques I have above sum it up for me.
    Still hoping that one day hair dyeing will be an option. We know it's canon in universe already thanks to a book in the Manor of Masques! (House of Reveries: The Troupe)
    Proud owner of a Morrowind Banner of the 6th House (back when it actually meant something)
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Final thoughts on the event.

Really enjoyed it. The rewards where appropriate and the box drops were nice. Nice it dropped maps, furnishing plans and furniture for the new zone.  Loved the double drops of boxes and harvestable nodes.

Wish the new home was closer to a wayshrine and not off to the side of the map. Or you could finally give us a free teleport out of homes.

Voting was different. Totally a failure of moving the guy after you first did his quest. Should have been at the event tent all along.

One more thought, is wish there was something you could buy with one ticket at the impresario. Not this event but on the last one I had 11 tickets on the last day and earned 2 but didn’t end up with 12, but instead it stayed at 11. Guess since I was unable to hold both I earned zero.

Stay safe :)
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The voting mechanism, while an interesting twist, was very poorly-implemented.

There should have been three dialog options:
    • I don't want to involve myself in family politics
    • I favor Yensa
    • I favor Tralise

That way, the "default" option (from people just spamming "E" to turn in the quest) is a null vote and the actual votes are by people who are actually voting and not just getting their quest done ASAP for an extra coffer.

Plus, there's no indicator in-game that your vote will have an outcome on the reward that you get. Sure, people who read the article will know, but I'm all but certain that the majority have not read it. And even for people who have read it, who can remember which one rewards what? I've read the article, and I've had to reopen it multiple times to remind myself which one was which.

All of this needed to be in-game, not squirreled away on the website.

TL;DR: There was no effort to eliminate default-vote bias, and players were not adequately informed about the decision that they are being asked to make.
    Edited by code65536 on October 11, 2023 4:36AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Leighlaa
    Leighlaa
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that everyone was eager to do the nymic dailies! It was fun meeting new folks via zone. I really enjoyed the actual *goodies* in the coffers- ANY time I can get a furnishing and blueprints, it's a great event!

Not really, it worked like other events in the past. I liked but also didn't like that my moral choice of choosing Tralise (SHE GAVE HER EYES [snip]) didn't outweigh the fact that I really wanted the book furnishing. Yensa didn't really deserve to be picked, but I wanted the book. I wish I didn't have to choose a person when it's the prize I'm choosing. Small thing but I was #teamTralise AND #teamBook :(

It would've been cool to sometimes (RARELY) get a coffer from fishing in the new zones, but I'm just fine with the event, it was fun!

The pet is cool. I don't use these much but it's neat. I don't mind recolors. ADORED the nest markings- I'm using tthe face marking on my MAIN dk maormer- so stinking gorgeous. AND A HOUSE?! WHERE DO I BEGIN?! The item:space ratio is incredible. The views are stunning... you are ATOP A FREAKIN WATERFALL! There is a blend of sleek telvanni architecture and fungal mycoturge glory. It's in a really cool location, there are no wayshrines nearby- so it opens that whole area up if you port outside your door! Simply inspired house, it shows that you've been listening to the requests from the (housing) community and it's really reassuring! This event came at a really good time for the community, I think we needed this.

As previously mentioned, while I love the premise behind voting for a furnishing, I didn't necessarily like that it was attached to a person. I feel like I cheated Tralise. She gave her eyes to save her Father and I couldn't even reward her with the beautiful tunes of a music box to soothe her darkened days? I FEEL LIKE A MONSTER but I'm #TeamBook. I really want that book and while Yensa legit should not be passing around this #BannedBook..... I still voted for her each and every day, sometimes on multiple alts. I feel dirty. I would've preferred a way to work the prizes into it without having to choose a sister. I know you guys like to make us FEEL (lookin' at YOU Summerset quests!!!) but that's really my only critique.

Any additional thoughts?
    I like the prizes, the way you gain tickets, the dailies and activity level. I liked the meter that showed our progress and how quickly we filled it (I like easy goals, life is hard). I didn't really like that the Yensa/Tralise meter didn't seem to change, but did like that we voted, even if I can never get the other item (though I would've been happy with either, really). I thought the abundance of pages and coffers was nice and I liked the double drops in sanity's edge, though it would've been nice to get some small additional bump in vet ;) Overall, 10/10 points! Great work, fun event, and it came at a very good time.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 13, 2023 2:06PM
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
      i loved getting extra resources, new motif pages, purple furniture, and a new house.
      the event quest that requires Bastion Nymic. i wasn't able to do it as i can't always go there.
      i wish the event quest with the relic hunting didn't require going to Bastion Nymic.
      and i wish the Kindred's Concord motif was already available as i really love that motif and i would have gone to Bastion Nymic more if it was already available
      they are really nice rewards, i Love the house! thanks. i do miss getting attuneable crafting stations though.
      i Love the Apocryphal Tome!
      however i hope we will get the chance to buy the music box too as i love collecting them.
      please make sure all motifs from a new chapter are actually available next time.

Edited by LunaFlora on October 11, 2023 6:35AM
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
      Nothing in particular. It was as formulaic as it could get.
      Plenty.
      1. Moving the NPC for the event-specific daily from one location to another after the first quest turn-in
      2. The event starter quest was far too long and convoluted
      3. The drops for the Esoteric Parchments did not work as advertised at all, the drop rate from world bosses was basically non-existent
      4. The drops for the Esoteric Parchments were not consistent between players - it took me 2h to farm 5 on the first day, while others could not sneeze without being handed a box of parchments to clean their noses
      The starter quest should have had its "cinematic" portions happen inside an instance. I have no idea what the heck even happened there, due to all the bear butts and purple flappers around.
      Indifferent. I do not care about, and will not use any of those.
      Disrespectful as heck. Stop using events to conduct social experiments on your player base.
      Yet another event-specific outfit that I am not going to bother trying to complete. Just choose 2-3 existing style motifs and use them as reward instead.
  • PrincessOfThieves
    PrincessOfThieves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The house, of course! I'm a big Morrowind fan so I was happy to see a new Telvanni style house.
    Another thing I like about these events is how active the community becomes. Everyone is sharing quests, helping each other etc.
    Not for me personally, but I've seen players in zone chat being confused about ticket quests and the page quest.
    I don't like getting these 100/250 gold "treasures". They just clog the inventory and do not provide any real value. Even if you have a merchant assistant, it's annoying. Sometimes they have funny/interesting descriptions but that's about it.
    Did not really care about the markings and the pet, but the house was an awesome reward. Wish there were more earnable houses.
    I think it was kinda obvious that the book would win, but being able to choose what we get was a fun additon.
    Edited by PrincessOfThieves on October 11, 2023 10:44AM
  • Tra_Lalan
    Tra_Lalan
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. What did you like about Secrets of the Telvanni?
    The voting idea.
    Its rather obvious that the community will hit the 100% mark on the zone events rewards, so the voting/choosing a reward was a nice addition.
    Also pages droping even when you have a CD on the box were nice (1 page = 1/5 of the next box)

2. Was there anything that was confusing or frustrating?
    The NPC location for the voting quest: If someone wouldn't told me I wouldnt know, that you can find him at the event tent after first time I did the quest (you expect to find the NPC on previous location, sisters were still there, why did he move? :)

The bastion nymic motif - I really hoped it to go live during the event (as stated in the article). Hoped we would farm those with my friends and have a good time. Without it droping we stayed away from the nymic portals and basicaly from farming the daily quests.
    So yeah whoever decided to split the event and the motif going live, kinda made this event far less exciting for me.

3. Was there anything you wish was different?
    The voting could've been better executed, I believe many people don't read the dialogues and just press E (the usual "red text colour" indication that you are making a choice at the end would be nice).

The bastion nymic motif should have droped on the event.

4. How did you feel about the Ebony Dwarven Scarab pet, Nightmare Nest body and face markings, and Kelesan’ruhn house as the community event reward?
    Liked them. Very nice house, thanks for that.

5. What are your thoughts on the player voting through Tralise (to unlock the music box) or Yensa (to unlock the book furnishing)?
    Liked it. Always like when you try to add some new ideas. Could've been executed slighty better.

6. Any additional thoughts?
    No.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I enjoyed that you went the route of trying to tell a unique event story via the questlines. Loved the Necrom daily coffer double drops, and especially fun to get furnishing plans and actual furnishings. Some of the furnishings, I had not actually seen before nor seen plans to make them, so they were a delightful surprise. Double harvesting nodes is always a big win in my book. It encouraged me to burn through my treasure maps for both zones to try and get Telvanni Coffers and Esoteric Pages, and that led to unlocking a whole lotta leads for antiquities that I hadn't acquired yet. It also made completing world bosses and Bastion Nymics much easier because the player base was focused on doing these - admittedly, the zone died off fairly sharply after release so it was hard sometimes to group up or have more than 1-2 people around for a world boss.

Good Lord, the split between the original event quest from the Crown Store and the daily Turn the Page one was weird. On the first day, I felt overwhelmed thinking I'd have to do Bastion Nymics every single day until the next day made it more obvious that had been a one-time story quest for the event. Moving The Mouth for the event daily from his original location to The Impressario for the remainder of the event was horrible planning. I saw so many people confused and thinking Turn the Page had also been a one-time thing due to this and I only knew myself because the confusion on the forums led to someone discovering where The Mouth had moved to so I could do my daily and then inform non-forumites in my guilds. I also think the fan vote between the sisters was not done well at all. Unless you read the blog or follow the forum - and even then, saw some folks posting here that had missed the memo before the event ended - there was no indication that the quest would result in an extra end-event reward nor which sister would count for which reward. I guarantee you had a ton of blind voting of people just picking the first option or choosing maybe lore-wise between the sisters (the one who wants to use the pages vs the one who wants to safely hide them away) rather than "casting a vote". There was also confusion over community event and how to get event tickets since they were not the same thing at all - many folks thought the Necrom dailies (since they gave event tickets) were also the community event and also there were folks who thought/assumed the community event gave tickets and only realized later "hey, my ticket count isn't increasing, what gives?".

The drop rate on Esoteric Pages seemed highly off-scale. I saw some people getting obscene amounts, I got a decent enough amount for my playtime to vote roughly 5-6 times max during the event, and my friend and some folks on the forum never even got enough to complete a bundle or, at most, only 1-2 bundles and that was after spending equal or more amounts of time in the zone farming as I did. Also, this is kinda my wish for any zoned event, but it would be such a treat if crafting surveys doubled up on top of the harvesting double drops and Plentiful Harvest green CP tree perk for just an absolute harvesting bonanza. I know currently no crafting surveys function that way during zoned events, but it would be neat. :smile:

I don't care about insect pets at all nor body/face markings, so meh. Free houses are ALWAYS welcome, however.

I am NOT a fan of community votes between rewards. I absolutely do not think that was received well (there is already a thread from the music box fans mourning the loss - an event should NOT make people sad, my dudes, and I say this as a book voter). It also was set up about as awful as could be in-game, from moving the daily quest-giver from his original location after the first day to having one of the voting options as a default at the top instead of something neutral for fast-clickers to nobody who hadn't very specifically read the event article having any clue a) there was a vote for additional prizes, b) what those prizes were and c) which sister counted for which prize. You really have got to have better ways to explain/hold hands in-game or stop making events increasingly convoluted like this. People always talk about "the forum is such a small gathering of the fanbase" - and this applies to ALL video game forums - and it absolutely is true. Maybe even more so here since I think I recall having to go through some sort of hoops to prove I owned the game and be approved by a moderator to even post here. Most people will not go through all that and that's if they even care about geeking out in a forum about a video game they casually play anyway. So, while it may feel like you got the word out well, you didn't. No fault on you, but rather that you need to meet the majority of your player base where they are - IN THE GAME. Forum is small set of the community. I have no idea what your website/blog traffic is. X/Twitter had a massive drop-off in users after staff/ownership changes so take posting there with a grain of salt. Facebook is now considered only for "old people" (God help me, I am them at 38 already, apparently), so again posts there are only going to hit so many. Beyond these avenues, what other social media are you using or is even a decent enough format to give long-winded communication? Plus you have a lot of people who actively choose to avoid social media, so you are missing them entirely with that avenue as well.

I had to explain this event, more than any other, to many folks in my guilds because that is where they get their info - from the game and maaaaaaybe Discord (which, again, largely is people like me explaining just in a Discord channel rather than in-game guild chat). I know there are in-game Tutorials you can link in chat and sometimes I do that, but that can honestly be overwhelming to read, many do not know they are there, or they get offended at having a link slapped at them. "Just give me the gist/Cliff Notes", they say. So please, for those of us doing work on the ground FOR YOU, make this stuff easier to explain. I honestly found myself, when having to explain about the store quest but then there's also a different quest that's actually the daily and no you get your event tickets from the Necrom dailies but those don't count towards the community event and yes that one is repeatable every day if you happen upon enough pages oh and the quest giver moves after the first day oh and the sister you pick is an additional prize and on and on and on... even as I explained this, I had to stop and go THIS IS FRIGGING COMPLICATED, WHY ARE WE DOING THINGS THIS WAY?
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Marronsuisse
    Marronsuisse
    ✭✭✭
    -Cosmetics and an actual house as a reward, yay!
    -Loved that there were lots of furnishings and furnishing plans in the reward coffers. And treasure maps.
    -This is probably just my RNG this time around, but I had good luck with the drop rate for the new style pages and was able to collect most of them myself, and trade for the couple left. That always leaves a very positive impression on me after an event.
    -My good drop rate for plans, motifs and style pages in reward boxes made me actually want to keep playing to get more boxes; usually I just get my tickets and the gold box, and don't bother with more boxes.
    -I was initially confused by the dailies. Between the quests from the Mouth, Tralise, and the regular dailies, I wasn't sure which I was supposed to do to get tickets or engage with the voting, and which were just for getting extra coffers. The Mouth moving the next day was also confusing.
    -Not me, but I saw some people confused about the vote when people mentioned it. They didn't know that there were furnishings to vote on.
    -I was only able to get enough Esoteric pages if I played for hours, which--well, maybe that was intended actually. But the drop rate seemed low. Love that they were tradeable, though; my guildies helped me out on days when I couldn't play much, and I bought a few as well.
    -I absolutely love to see a house as a community reward, and cosmetics are also a favourite, so I thought those rewards were great. As for my personal tastes, I don't love the Telvanni style. I wish we could have gotten a house in the Leyawiin or High Isle styles in the previous years' community events. I'm crossing my fingers for next year's chapter. Maybe we'll finally get a high res, small/medium sized cottage :>
    -I was kind of hoping for gold companion gear to work its way into the rewards as well.
    -I generally expect all the information I need to know to participate in an event to be presented in game. The fact that there was no indication that players were voting on furnishings during the quest itself, or anywhere else in game, was an odd choice.
    -I saw most people being good humoured about the vote during the event but I've seen a lot of nastiness and division post event, I guess when everyone realized the losing furnishing would not be available as well. I imagine that the vote was done to encourage engagement about the event, but I'm not sure setting players against each other is a good way of doing this (and I say this as a PvP enjoyer, lol).
    -Maybe the first option should be neutral to avoid skewing the vote with people spam clicking through (book lovers don't come at me).
    This was first foray into the chapter and I love the vibe. Perfect place to explore during spooky season. Overall I had a great time with the event.

• emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zone events are always nice; but what was nice about this event in particular was the extra quest collecting pages. It made the event feel more unique rather than just ''do dailies in zone'' even though it was simple.

The rewards were also great, specifically for getting furnishings and housing recipes, which are some of my favorite because of how expensive and resource-intensive housing is in general. I also liked zone treasure maps as rewards, especially now that antiquities often have leads from zone specific treasure maps.

The choice between Yensa and Tralise wasn't clear enough in-game. I knew it related to the reward voting because of the out of game article about it.

Maybe an increased chance of antiquity lead drops related to the zone.

Pets and body markings are nice, although these two in particular weren't my thing. I love the house, and I love houses/housing stuff as rewards, including the tome and music box.

I think the system is fine, but as I've seen another player suggest, the dialogue should have three options:
    (I don't want to involve myself) no vote
    (I side with X) Yensa tome vote
    (I side with Y) Tralise music box vote

in order to cut out ''votes'' that come from players spamming through the dialogue so that the vote isn't biased to whichever is listed first.

Any additional thoughts?
    Housing-heavy event rewards are A+++

If there's a community vote reward again, maybe place the two at the impressario so people can, for example, listen to the music box and see what the tome looks like in-game. This also might help people be aware that there's an extra reward thing going on

Edited by emilyhyoyeon on October 11, 2023 3:10PM
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Event tickets and furniture, having a motivation to go back and do all dailies and finsih the sticker book.
    2. Golden event boxes should never be complete RNG, often the gold one was worse than the purples.
    3. The once per day golden box should always contain a desireable event item
    4. The house is great, for me the best event house we got so far. This one I might actually buy had I missed the event. The pet looks nice, but not really something I would actually use. Not a fan of body / facemarkings in general.
    5. Choice "1" always includes skipping, most gamers will pick "use it" over "lock it away" since the former promises further adventures, and you had to go to a somewhat hidden webpage to learn that and what you're voting for.
    6. Refreshing that this time we didn't pretend that there was any chance of the event failing.
    Edited by Toanis on October 11, 2023 5:31PM
  • mdjessup4906
    mdjessup4906
    ✭✭✭

The furnishings are what really sticks out for me. Got alot of cool stuff.

I didn't vote for two days because the page guy disappeared after I did the intro quest and I didn't realize he had just moved to the impresario tent. As a result I thought you only voted once, not every day.

The page guy should have stayed near the sisters. It makes more sense for his character, and it's closer to the wayshrine too. It you wanted the tent nearby, just move the tent to them.

Haven't looked at the other stuff yet, but the house is beautiful.

There should have been a neutral default option so it's more fair for those who cared enough to vote. Also should have been some way to tell in-game which sister was for which reward. Otherwise it was an interesting mechanic for the event, and I liked the quest too.

Any additional thoughts?

Give us music box as a login reward plz :3
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The attempt to add a fresh twist with the event quest and voting was a nice idea (could have been implemented better, see below). Liked having furnishings / plans in the coffers. Love the free house.

Event quests were set up in a confusing way, with two quests marked as dailies (but only one was actually the event daily); and then the parchment questgiver moved to a new location after the first turn-in.

The voting was set up in a confusing way for some players, as it required looking at the forums or a website outside of the game - information like that should be provided in-game.

Parchment drops were extremely inconsistent - there should be a guaranteed source for any similar item in a future event, so people who don't have significant time to play and/or have bad RNG are still able to feel that they are participating.

I miss having a bonus community goal after the meter for the initial rewards reaches 100% (which was done in previous years). This keeps people more invested toward the end of the event.

The voting should have been designed in a better way, with the information about the vote being provided in-game, and the default dialog option NOT being to cast a vote for one of the items, as many people likely just skip through without reading.
    A suitable default option might be something like "Can you tell me what my choice is again?"

I think the once a day gold coffer should always be significantly better than the purple coffers - this was not the case; many of them had nothing of interest in them. IMO, you might as well just ditch the "gold coffer once a day" thing entirely and simplify things if they are just going to be RNG.

Pet is fine; don't care about the markings and would have preferred literally anything else (a hat... a costume... an emote... a polymorph... something people can show off - we get a LOT of markings and a lot of them are quite similar to each other and pretty boring, and hard for others to even see, if I'm being honest); absolutely love the house and I'm happy that a house was back on the table as the main reward this year!

I think I covered the last two questions already above. Thanks for taking our feedback, Kevin.
    Edited by valenwood_vegan on October 11, 2023 8:06PM
  • 16BitForestCat
    16BitForestCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leighlaa and DragonRacer posted some really good write-ups of the problems here. (Later edit: now with the proper number of A's in Leighlaa's name!)

So many of the issues could've been resolved by having communication in the actual related quests of the actual game we're playing, rather than in help menus most players don't know about and social media posts most players will never see.

I'm glad that people are rightfully calling out how poorly done this event was. After the event ended, I saw people in zone chat discussing it who were only learning, again, after the event ended, how it had even worked and so missed out on a lot. I saw people angry they missed out on event tickets because they didn't realize the non-event dailies counted for that. I saw people angry that they didn't know what they were voting for/that there was even a vote going on at all. I saw people angry they knew about a vote (usually through people talking about it in zone chat), but couldn't preview the prizes in-game to decide what they wanted more. I saw a lot of people angry there was a vote at all since it's supposed to be a community event where players work together, but voting for different things is actually often divisive if everyone isn't voting for the same thing. I saw a lot of people angry because they didn't know "Turn the Page" was a daily due to Mouth Gilvas Vedran vanishing to a new location.

This game has been out on live release for almost a decade, and communication with the players is STILL this awful? ("Hilarious" that I got a snippy mod note about this line, but all I'm doing is repeating what players have been saying on these forums for literally years. See Dekrypted's excellent forum comment, which also quotes someone else, Gopher, pointing out lack of communication.)

(Inb4 Gina turns up to once again post, "Thank you for your feedback. We're aware that we didn't handle this situation as well or as clearly as we could have, and we apologize for that. All of your constructive comments have been passed along to our team, and we're internally discussing ways to improve our communication"?) :D
    Edited by 16BitForestCat on October 17, 2023 7:27AM
    PC/NA. Alliance agnostic: all factions should chill the fetch out and party together.
    If you ever wonder why certain official fandom spaces are so often toxic, remember: corruption starts from the top.