The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Removal of vanity pets

korkibucek
korkibucek
✭✭✭
I really don't see the point in vanity pets, they add nothing to the game. Everyone already has a huge collection of them from the preorder.

Should vanity pets be removed from ESO?
Edited by korkibucek on April 1, 2014 10:10PM

Removal of vanity pets 495 votes

Yes
17% 89 votes
No
82% 406 votes
  • korkibucek
    korkibucek
    ✭✭✭
    No forum seemed to suite this, so with the lack of a general forum I've posted it here.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually is a bad idea to remove things that many enjoy unless there is a good reason for it.

So no , i dont see how this would improve the game at all , but i do see how this would *** people off.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • BKTHNDR
    BKTHNDR
    ✭✭✭
    You don't like vanity pets so you don't want anyone to have them? Other people using them isn't hindering your game play at all.
  • Cormoran
    Cormoran
    ✭✭
    I'd actually like to see vanity pets expanded on; when they do housing I'd love to be able to slot them there and have them roam about the home.

Also, MOAR vanity pets, kitties, puppies, netch hound larvae, bear cubs.

oooh and vanity pet emotes! Lemme hug 'em and play fetch with 'em.
    Cormoran Venim, level 6 Nightblade, Ebonheart Pact
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike Bosmer, should they be removed?
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    Guessing this topic is being facetious, but if not...

My vanity pets have just as much real-world value as your digital levels, equipment, and so forth: that is, none. So let me enjoy what I enjoy, and you can enjoy what you enjoy! They're all essentially of equal value.
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to hide everyones pets.

Those monkeys are friggin annoying.
  • NeptuneTide
    NeptuneTide
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be the first to admit that, at times, 500 (slight exaggeration ;) ) pets roaming all over town or crammed around the crafting tables or in the bank is a bit annoying. But, I like having my scuttle following me around...it's cute and keeps me company :) Perhaps having pets and familiars blocked from certain places/areas would be a fair compromise.
    "It's always a delicious mystery, cracking open a book for the first time." ~ Valaste
  • Greevir
    Greevir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like collision taken off of them. Sometimes when using a wayshrine I end up getting stuck on someone else's pet and can't move till they do.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Neutronium_Dragon
    Neutronium_Dragon
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with vanity pets is twofold: audio spam from them can be REALLY annoying in crowded areas (monkey pet, you're the main offender here), and the fact that they're collision-enabled as creatures. This causes a lot of problems in dungeon environments, where they obstruct movement (and evasion) and even seem to muck up targeting. A "squelch" option for the former would be nice, but the latter can't really be solved except by removing their collision (which should have been seen as a really bad idea in the first place).
  • Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the pets available right now... but if they ever make a little pseudo dragon pet (think Mushu in Mulan!) then I'm never goin' anywhere without him! :p
  • jackalpup83b14_ESO
    pets should not have collision. if they do, something is wrong. i have never seen this happen. also, they are new and fun, people will have them out a lot less as the game goes on. i do keep trying to kill people's crab pets though...

i find that collectible items in games are important, no matter what the collectable is. mini pets can be fun rewards for things that people can work towards when they are bored of the main game stuff. i find it very important to have little goals in the game or things can get quite monotonous and boring. a cute pet to work towards is awesome! specially if there are difficult ones to obtain or ones you can only get by doing hard things, then they are like a badge of achievement you can show off. "i got this hard achievement that many people don't have and this object (pet) was the reward! i feel great!"
  • cwolfe702b14_ESO
    I like them especially when in AVA and see a bunch of monkeys moving towards a person. Love people who forget to put pets away just makes it easy for us!!

Seriously was a highlight to AVA last night.
  • skarvika
    skarvika
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's really immersion breaking. I don't think they should be removed entirely, but I'd like an option to make them visible or not.
    QQing is a full time job
  • Some_Jerk
    Some_Jerk
    ✭✭✭
    I voted that they should be removed. However, from reading these I see that they have collision and it has made me reconsider because this opens up trolling possibilities :smiley:
  • slymerub17_ESO
    I have no problem with them, except I sometimes mistake them for fish bait.
  • jackalpup83b14_ESO
    i have stepped through everyone's pets so far. i have not collided with one yet. perhaps they fixed this? i have not ran into a pet since the game first launched....if that was an issue i am sure it would be changed immediately. that would have been horrid, coming out of that first building at the start and tripping over all those monkeys that littered the streets. i would have raged if that had happened to me!
  • Randomixx
    Randomixx
    ✭✭✭
    The only pet I could ever condone the removal of is the monkey, but that's just because I hate monkeys and EVERYONE is running around with one.

In summery: no.

(Also people have been getting stuck in pets? They haven't had collision enabled on them since the beta. Sounds to me like ya'll are in fact getting stuck in the ground and need better computers.)
  • warbaby2
    warbaby2
    Oh come on now... the pets will vanish completly on their own when people are bored of them, no need to remove them from the game only because you see them everywhere right now.
    Edited by warbaby2 on April 2, 2014 10:20AM
  • PixelNo1
    PixelNo1
    ✭✭
    I like the vanity pets, I pre-ordered Imperial edition and participated in the beta testing it shows that I'm a serious elder scrolls fan. Long live Mudcrabs.
  • Yevon
    Yevon
    ✭✭✭
    Wait so the point of this is, "I don't like them so you shouldn't have them!" Yeah, we have had too much of this already. Please stop trying to dictate what other people want and or need.
    "Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire
  • korkibucek
    korkibucek
    ✭✭✭
    Yevon wrote: »
    Wait so the point of this is, "I don't like them so you shouldn't have them!" Yeah, we have had too much of this already. Please stop trying to dictate what other people want and or need.

@Yevon‌

In what way is a poll dictating? Its quite the opposite.

The vanity pets annoy me especially in cyrodil and I was looking for opinions from other players. In no way enforcing my opinion on others.
  • Yevon
    Yevon
    ✭✭✭
    korkibucek wrote: »
    I really don't see the point in vanity pets, they add nothing to the game. Everyone already has a huge collection of them from the preorder.

@Yevon‌

The vanity pets annoy me especially in cyrodil and I was looking for opinions from other players. In no way enforcing my opinion on others.

I was referring to the text above your poll. I put the applicable part in bold lettering.
  • FlintNo1
    FlintNo1
    ✭✭
    I personally think they're especially useful for the sorcerers some of whom are weak in melee combat also there are some players that spend about £90.00 for the Imperial edition just so they have everything available to them however that being said if the vanity pets are disliked by some then at least the option not to equip them to your character is available this in turn leads to diversity in play styles and races, I personally like them but each to their own long live the Scuttler.
  • korkibucek
    korkibucek
    ✭✭✭

@Yevon‌

I was referring to the text above your poll. I put the applicable part in bold lettering.

@Yevon‌

What you have highlighted in bold is called an opinion.
  • Yevon
    Yevon
    ✭✭✭

@Yevon‌

@Yevon‌

What you have highlighted in bold is called an opinion.

Ok so what's your point? The last line of you poll is should they be removed, I said I wish people would stop trying to dicated what others do. Seems pretty explanatory to me. *shrugs* Oh well I hope you enjoy my vanity pets, cheers.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally i don't care about vanity pets, however i see no reason why they should be removed either.
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God yes! I need an option where I can turn them off so that I don't see them on the screen.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • korkibucek
    korkibucek
    ✭✭✭
    Baphomet wrote: »
    God yes! I need an option where I can turn them off so that I don't see them on the screen.

@Baphomet‌

That would be the perfect solution, keeps everyone happy.

• Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the server being down today, I am not feeling very diplomatic so I say: "Kill 'em all". They do nothing but add to the lag and latency of the server, really.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore