ESO Plus Free Trial Going On Now!

• phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a flash Crown Sale after ESO+ Trial is over? Double down!
    Options
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a flash Crown Sale after ESO+ Trial is over? Double down!

“Sorry you couldn’t play the game - please give us more money”?
    Options
  • sleepy_worm
    sleepy_worm
    ✭✭✭
    There is usually a Crown Sale during QuakeCon, which is August 10th-13th this year.
    Options
  • WhoRU
    WhoRU
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that ZOS staff simply do not bother with actually paying for ESO+ but simply wait for the next event to top up their craft bag and obtain lots of goodies...well there's an idea worth considering?
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y'know.... I've subbed since I started playing this game (just like I've subbed Wow and Rift back when I played them).

I really REALLY resent givaways like this. Do these people stick around? Do they actually pay subs? I doubt it. I TRULY resent paying so others can play without paying anything.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still playing WoW, but haven't paid for a subscription since the token came out in WoD. I still have two years of gametime all paid with gold tokens. I'll keep buying them as long as I have the gold to support it.

ESO isn't mandatory subscription so I don't see a reason to stay subbed for long periods of time, 1 month every 3-5 months t most. I'll take the freebies whenever they come and plan my next purchase around that. I was going to sub for Zeal of Zenithar as my bank and storage chests were completely full up and the boxes give more crafting mats. I'm glad the free one came right after the Epic Store promotion, I'm transferring a lot of lowbie mats over to my second account.
    Options
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had a great time throughout the free ESO+ trial. Sorry to hear other people have had problems logging in, but I have been on 3 times a day and been scrying extensively, all my toons joined the dark brotherhood and thieves guild, and I've explored DLCs I haven't visited since my laptop ran out of space.

Thanks!

I'll definitely subscribe in the near future.
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Y'know.... I've subbed since I started playing this game (just like I've subbed Wow and Rift back when I played them).

I really REALLY resent givaways like this. Do these people stick around? Do they actually pay subs? I doubt it. I TRULY resent paying so others can play without paying anything.

If it helps it's not as simple as 'pay for ESO+ or play for free'. I rarely subscribe, but as a result I buy all the DLC I want to play and buy crown packs instead of getting that as part of a subscription. It works out much better for my (lack of) schedule to pay for something and then have it available as and when I want to use it rather than renting it on a time limit, but I'm still paying for it.

Edit: Obviously I can't say how many players subscribe as a result of trials but I assume it works or ZOS wouldn't keep doing it. It's marketing; give players who may not know or understand what ESO+ does a chance to see for themselves and some of them will like it and want to keep it going.

It doesn't do much for veteran players like me because we're well aware of what it includes. The only parts which appeal to me are the ability to dye costumes, the crown store discounts and very occasionally the free items so I only subscribe when I want those things (and once because it was the cheapest way to get the amount of crowns I wanted). But I can imagine each time there's some new or returning players who discover they really like it and don't want to play without it.

I suspect that's why they usually do a free ESO+ trial a few months after a new chapter is released, there will be new players who bought the game as a result of that marketing and ideally the free ESO+ comes out right around the time they're ready to want the benefits - they want to go to DLC areas they didn't get with their copy of the game, want more bank space or a way to deal with crafting materials, have unlocked some costumes they'd like to use if only they were a different colour etc. etc.
    Edited by Danikat on August 4, 2023 11:56AM
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

wow calm down. eso plus trials are for a week and only happen three times a year
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I thank you for your sacrifice. :smile:

As a general rule... I decided to only pay for ONE (1) ESO Plus at a time. Two is a special circumstance. I like the ESO Plus free trials because they allow me to take advantage of it on consoles, which already have the "pay to access online content" taxes applied. It feels like everyone has their hand out over there.

ESO is a fun game, and all, but they have demonstrated more than once that spending too much on the game is not exactly a rewarding thing. The game can easily lose value with nothing more than the release of an update. Even without these updates, this year makes even less sense since they have cut back on content releases that benefit from ESO Plus.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Panthermic
    Panthermic
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

PAY to Play (P2P) = After purchasing the game, a mandatory monthly subscription fee must be paid in order to be able to play.
    BUY to Play (B2P) = After purchase--the amount of money does not matter--the game you can play without a monthly subscription fee.
    FREE to Play (F2P) = You register an account, download the game and play without spending ZERO* money, with or without an optional subscription for BONUS.
    (Also hybrids--like GW2 or FFXIV for example--exist where you can start playing with a--some way--restricted F2P account which you're able to upgrade to the nonrestricted B2P/P2P model.)

*As for EPIC's giveaway, I'm pretty sure those accounts are also getting paid out--monetarily or otherwise--just not actually by their 'owner'. Whether it's paid directly by EPIC with money, or--for a while--with free advertising through Fortnite, we'll never know. (If you or anyone else hates Fortnite or EPIC or both, it doesn't matter.)

All 3 games you are talking about started as P2P. WoW is still P2P, ESO later turned to B2P with an optional subscription--which gives you PREMIUM BONUSES*--, and Rift went the F2P route.

*Bonuses, heck even ZOS describe them as "VIP perks"--crowns, access to almost everything, extra storage--and these are the things that subscribers pay for, not for other people to be able to play. What a difference, but somehow subscribers tend to forget about them! On the other hand, there are those who don't pay for ESO+, which might be because they hate to be pushed into long/boring/hard/whatever DLC dungeons--or whatever reasons--, and rather drop access to craft bags and buy their content with purchased crowns. And before anyone brings out the "crowns for in-game gold exchange" card, someone pays for those crowns with real money, too.

[snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 4, 2023 6:05PM
    Options
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How does someone receiving a promotional item on a temporary basis justify resentment?

Edited by reazea on August 5, 2023 5:05PM
    Options
  • Monte_Cristo
    Monte_Cristo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Been here since 2015. Never had the sub, except for the occasional +trials. Buy crowns with cash to buy the DLCs I want (zone ones, not dungeon packs). Pay for chapters with cash, never waited for a chapter to become a dlc and buy with crowns.
    So yes, we do stick around, and we do pay.
    Options
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It worked... after the trial...I bought a subscription
    Options
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

If it helps it's not as simple as 'pay for ESO+ or play for free'. I rarely subscribe, but as a result I buy all the DLC I want to play and buy crown packs instead of getting that as part of a subscription. It works out much better for my (lack of) schedule to pay for something and then have it available as and when I want to use it rather than renting it on a time limit, but I'm still paying for it.

Edit: Obviously I can't say how many players subscribe as a result of trials but I assume it works or ZOS wouldn't keep doing it. It's marketing; give players who may not know or understand what ESO+ does a chance to see for themselves and some of them will like it and want to keep it going.

It doesn't do much for veteran players like me because we're well aware of what it includes. The only parts which appeal to me are the ability to dye costumes, the crown store discounts and very occasionally the free items so I only subscribe when I want those things (and once because it was the cheapest way to get the amount of crowns I wanted). But I can imagine each time there's some new or returning players who discover they really like it and don't want to play without it.

I suspect that's why they usually do a free ESO+ trial a few months after a new chapter is released, there will be new players who bought the game as a result of that marketing and ideally the free ESO+ comes out right around the time they're ready to want the benefits - they want to go to DLC areas they didn't get with their copy of the game, want more bank space or a way to deal with crafting materials, have unlocked some costumes they'd like to use if only they were a different colour etc. etc.

I stopped subscribing once I bought all DLC too. I used 2.5 years worth of crowns from subscribing to stay up to date with the DLCs, and now we get 2 less DLC a year which means that the sub's value for me greatly decreased and I'll just continue buying dlc as they come out which ends up being like 1/12th the cost of a sub, since you essentially just pay for 1 month out of the year.
    Options